• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

I'm confused.
Now it's Kokoro who really ate the rations? But she was trusted with them!
And it looks like she killed that guy in the suit so brutally, what a bitch. Fuck you, Kokoro! :x

grim-tales

Holy shit holy shit holy shit...
I just found a dead girl in the snow (at the shelter cabin) and her name is.... Suzukage Hotori!
So just who is the person in SPHIA?!?

ohmygod.gif

Kokoro seems really crazy and unstable to me....

upandaway

I'm confused.
Now it's Kokoro who really ate the rations? But she was trusted with them!
And it looks like she killed that guy in the suit so brutally, what a bitch. Fuck you, Kokoro! :x
I can confirm that you're confused because you're saying silly things. You should go over what you already know I think, because the game definitely doesn't help you with that like E17 did.

I'll just give you a tiny little push,
both routes are exactly the same, just from different perspectives. All events and all characters act exactly the same.
It's not even a spoiler but spoiler tags are cheap.

grim-tales

Okay, thanks :) I need to calm down and think.
From what I gather Kokoro sounds batshit insane and dangerous.. what if....
eep.. Oh No....

Danj

So yeah, I binged on Steins;Gate at the weekend. So good. My LE is due to turn up this week, probably tomorrow or so, I'm excited to get the pin badges. I wonder if they have unique labmem numbers or something with it being an LE.

So yeah, I binged on Steins;Gate at the weekend. So good. My LE is due to turn up this week, probably tomorrow or so, I'm excited to get the pin badges. I wonder if they have unique labmem numbers or something with it being an LE.
I just got mine, and I can confirm that the two pin badges are not identical. I won't spoil anything beyond that, though.

grim-tales

HUH?!?!
So this whole transfer thing was orchestrated by... me? Satoru?... WTF

Finally, it's all done. What a mind blowing game. Near up there with Ever 17 and 999 IMO.
Edit: Actually, maybe not....
I (Satoru) am with Kokoro in SPHIA now but I still dont know everything, who was the other mystery person who was in Satoru and Kokoro's body?
I had an idea it was the real Inubushi Keiko (the killer) who possessed you, thats probably wrong.
WOAH... so I got an ending saying "The story has not finished yet", and Mayuzumi doesnt know me, WTF
Inubushi singing the Kagome song scared the crap out of me.... :eek:

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
In other news, White Album 2 got a (un-edited) translation patch for the Introductory Chapter released today on Baka-Tsuki. Unless you're dying to read it, I'd recommend either waiting for an edited version of the patch, or watching the quite good anime adaptation.

Also, I've been reading Steins;Gate, and boy has it been good so far. But damn, that fan-book had some massive spoilers in it; I was somewhat surprised on what they actually included in it, but a nice addition nonetheless.

upandaway

HUH?!?!
So this whole transfer thing was orchestrated by... me? Satoru?... WTF

Finally, it's all done. What a mind blowing game. Near up there with Ever 17 and 999 IMO.
Edit: Actually, maybe not....
I (Satoru) am with Kokoro in SPHIA now but I still dont know everything, who was the other mystery person who was in Satoru and Kokoro's body?
I had an idea it was the real Inubushi Keiko (the killer) who possessed you, thats probably wrong.
WOAH... so I got an ending saying "The story has not finished yet", and Mayuzumi doesnt know me, WTF
Inubushi singing the Kagome song scared the crap out of me.... :eek:
Google "explain remember 11" and read what's up there to make sense of whatever you can. It explains pretty much everything your brought up in all your posts.

In other news, White Album 2 got a (un-edited) translation patch for the Introductory Chapter released today on Baka-Tsuki. Unless you're dying to read it, I'd recommend either waiting for an edited version of the patch, or watching the quite good anime adaptation.

It's another wonderful example of why crowdsourced translation projects are a terrible idea for VNs. And it's a shame that projects like this discourage others from working on the title and giving us an actual quality translation.

grim-tales

Thanks! :) I'm trying to get all the TIPs and bad endings too at the moment, apparently this goes someway to explaining the truth.
I wonder if maybe
Its saying everyone has a dark side (the 'other' Satoru and the 3rd personality?

It's another wonderful example of why crowdsourced translation projects are a terrible idea for VNs. And it's a shame that projects like this discourage others from working on the title and giving us an actual quality translation.
Hopefully it turns out alright, though.

After finishing the anime, which only covers Introductory Chapter, I've been dying to read Closing Chapter and Coda (which likely won't be adapted anytime soon). It's a ton of lines, but it'd be so cool to get some sort of translation to read!

EDIT: Looking more into it, it seems like the overall quality really is that bad. It's readable to some extent, but still nowhere near as good as it should be. :/ I'm hoping someone a bit more competent is able to get things together for cleaning it up.

I'd try my hand at editing what they have for IC, but I'm afraid I probably won't do a good job seeing as I'm unfamiliar with the story (outside of the anime).

Think I'll play just a bit of Steins;Gate to get a taste for it....

Suddenly it's 4 hours later. Really enjoying it so far which kind of surprised me considering I gave up on the anime after 4 or 5 episodes.

Marche90

Think I'll play just a bit of Steins;Gate to get a taste for it....

Suddenly it's 4 hours later. Really enjoying it so far which kind of surprised me considering I gave up on the anime after 4 or 5 episodes.

Okabe's internal monologue and more detailed explanations are all the difference here. Enjoy it!

LX_Theo

Banned
I've been a bit MIA on my comments on my Remember 11 playthrough. Unfortunately, college has been hitting its stride and I haven't had a lot of time to play.

I have done this much, however...

I've gotten one ending. It was when the man (I am forgetting his name for some reason) turns up dead in the bathtub when Kokoro transfers over). The last thing I've done is the two starting to leaves notes to each other in order to talk.

There are a lot of little mysteries building up. The newspaper being the biggest one. I figure the two bodies are either in different times or in different parallel universes (like one where the plane group lived after the crash and one they didn't). I also figured that the DiD for anyone who has it will also be caused by the body switch that is going on. As for what's causing the body switch? No idea. Its a bit too soon with too little information to get what is causing it.

The newpaper is, like I said, the most perplexing thing. It shouldn't be real. At least, it shouldn't be real when they find it. The infinity loop never caused any sort of physical time travel, only memories (at best). I guess my best theory is this... Warning, Ever 17 spoilers since I'm pulling from those concepts for this theory... What if a whole bunch of Blick Winkels found themselves in the same situation as the one from Ever 17? They are inhabiting the dead bodies of the crash survivors with their memories of everything but those days after. The more I think about this the more it makes no sense. I don't have a great way of explaining the body switch or why their bodies are even there with this one... Well, its the best I got.

I'll probably play some more throughout this week.

I finished Ayakashibito and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. The beginning of the game was fairly strong, and the game executes its fight scenes really well, but I ended up pretty underwhelmed with the whole experience. Each route is mostly self-contained, and Touko and Suzu's routes were the only ones I really thought were good, with Kaoru's being outright bad. None of the romance is really worthwhile either. If it weren't for the fight scenes, it'd be the sort of thing I'd forget I even read a few months from now.

The sex scenes are bit much in this, with several bizarrely tacked on threesomes and multiple gratuitous gang rapes scenes. There's even a threesome scene in the middle of a battle where they decide to have sex break all of a sudden while their allies are fighting.

Marche90

You guys remember when I said this?

From having absolutely nothing to read (Wasn't that interested I/O, tbh) to get three VN releases (S;G. Chou & now this) in a short time span. Yikes, I need more time, haha.

And now see this

I played through Chou Dengeki Stryker this week. I enjoyed it for the most part, it had some good humor (especially scenes with Sayaka) and the campiness of it was pretty entertaining. The big climatic fights were good and the characters eventually grew on me.

Unfortunately Light saga was a poor way to end the VN, it was my least favorite route, a poor and unsatisfying imitation of Sky saga. The other additions to Chou were good though, especially Steel saga, and the VN would have felt pretty short and bare without them.

Route ranking:
Steel > Heaven > Sky > Love > Zero > Light

I finished Ayakashibito and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. The beginning of the game was fairly strong, and the game executes its fight scenes really well, but I ended up pretty underwhelmed with the whole experience. Each route is mostly self-contained, and Touko and Suzu's routes were the only ones I really thought were good, with Kaoru's being outright bad. None of the romance is really worthwhile either. If it weren't for the fight scenes, it'd be the sort of thing I'd forget I even read a few months from now.

The sex scenes are bit much in this, with several bizarrely tacked on threesomes and multiple gratuitous gang rapes scenes. There's even a threesome scene in the middle of a battle where they decide to have sex break all of a sudden while their allies are fighting.

Yyyeah... Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover how I feel, and sadly I've already read S;G. I'll still read Ayakashibito, just for the hell of it, but I'll go in with no expectations whatsoever

Agreed. I only watched the anime up until the beginning of Faris' arc, but so far I've been loving the visual novel!

Also, awesome avi :D.

Heh, thanks! Likewise! Loved that chibi-Kyouko

I finished my first ending of Ever17 and it was pretty awesome (Tsugumi route), but I can't seem to get myself to play through the beginning again, I keep on putting it down or falling asleep. :\

LX_Theo

Banned
I finished my first ending of Ever17 and it was pretty awesome (Tsugumi route), but I can't seem to get myself to play through the beginning again, I keep on putting it down or falling asleep. :\

The version I played had a feature that allowed you to fast forward through parts you already played.

The version I played had a feature that allowed you to fast forward through parts you already played.

Interesting, on mine I only see it saying 'Skip until the next plot section' which I assume is where you make a decision. Also, the one I obtained is the premium edition.

Am I wrong to assume this? Or is there something in the options that could skip dialogue I've already read? =\

LX_Theo

Banned
Interesting, on mine I only see it saying 'Skip until the next plot section' which I assume is where you make a decision. Also, the one I obtained is the premium edition.

Am I wrong to assume this? Or is there something in the options that could skip dialogue I've already read? =\

Skip until next plot decision is fast forward basically (should I be remembering correctly). If I recall correctly, there should also be an option the skip tool changes between all and only stuff you've already read.

Skip until next plot decision is fast forward basically (should I be remembering correctly). If I recall correctly, there should also be an option the skip tool changes between all and only stuff you've already read.

I can't seem to find it, but I don't mind reading it. I did seem to forget some stuff from the beginning. Its just really difficult getting through this initial dialogue.

Puru

I just decided to finally go through Ever 17 and... i do not regret it, it was totally worth it.
Mind blown, the final route was so good, some stuff i didn't really liked but i was just too absorbed to even care.

I should try to grab a copy of Never 7 and Remember 11 at one point (might be hard though).

soc

So I just finished all 9 routes of Chäos;HEAd NOAH, after a grueling 47 hours and 45 minutes (lol).

It's hard to sum up the whole experience in a single post. In some ways, it feels like a big step back from steins;gate, especially in terms of art and setting. As a psychological horror/murder mystery with some gruesome parts and light ecchi, and a much more typical anime art style, it lacks the mainstream appeal of S;G. A big part of this is the atypical protagonist Takumi, a self-titled filthy Otaku who is harder to relate to than Steins;Gate's Okabe.

One thing it does do very well is present atmosphere (especially in Takumi's container house, which I think is the only 3D-modelled location in the game). The game also does suspense pretty well, especially by communicating Takumi's internal conflict through the narration. Overall, I think Chaos;Head is a flawed game with some unique ideas.

grim-tales

Hey,
While I completed R11 (got all the endings) I still cant find all the TIPS for some reason.

I think I figured out that:

In 'Satoru' route, I'm actually playing as Enamoto, and Mayuzumi's boyfriend is really the sinister guy in sunglasses? So why did Satoru and Enamoto swap names round?
WTF?

Yirba

Narcissu is now available free of charge on Steam.

It has a brilliant story, and its relatively high production values (for an indie game), accessibility and lack of cost make it a great introduction to the world of visual novels.

If you haven't tried Narcissu before, I highly recommend it.

(Full disclosure: I worked on engine development for the game.)

Marche90

It has a brilliant story, and its relatively high production values (for an indie game), accessibility and lack of cost make it a great introduction to the world of visual novels.

Heh, I was going to post this, after seeing a post on the english publisher website, but since you did, I'm just commenting on this.

Will try for sure, since Narcissu is one of the very few VN that I still haven't read yet.

Awesome can't wait to try it! I need something to balance out all the sadness from steins;gate ;).

Yirba

Let's just say that both Narcissu 1st and 2nd have been known to make many players cry. It's not /too/ depressing, and there are happier moments to balance things out, but it certainly isn't all smiles.

Marche90

im playing grisaia and hooly shit makina is annoying

In a sense I agree with you. I was never able to fully warm up to her, but I didn't hated her in the end. What totally annoyed me to no end was her insistence on calling Yuuji 'Oniichan' or something to that effect in her route. GAH.

Geh, now thanks to this I remembered that Meikyuu is essentially in the back burner, now that the translator got an official gig in another VN.

EDIT:
The Oniichan was the "normal" nickname, the silly one she used in her route was "papa" and that was a tad bit weird.

That said after
seeing what she went through, it's kinda hard to judge.

AARGH! That one was worst! I think my mind made me forget it. I understand why she did that, but it was a tad extreme late in her route

upandaway

In a sense I agree with you. I was never able to fully warm up to her, but I didn't hated her in the end. What totally annoyed me to no end was her insistence on calling Yuuji 'Oniichan' or something to that effect in her route. GAH.

Geh, now thanks to this I remembered that Meikyuu is essentially in the back burner, now that the translator got an official gig in another VN.
The Oniichan was the "normal" nickname, the silly one she used in her route was "papa" and that was a tad bit weird.

That said after
seeing what she went through, it's kinda hard to judge.

kasane

im still playing though grisaia and add the fake tsundere to that list

god my ears

Edit: I shouldn't have started this since Grisaia no Meikyuu isn't even remotely close to finishing

michirus voice is off. so much better

upandaway

The common route is the best part of Grisaia. It's a really good comedy, but hit or miss when it tries to get serious.
I liked the comedy too, really got me rolling in some scenes. For the routes,
I liked Kazuki and that entire flashback, and the espionage in Makina's route. Aside from those things and every route's share of the romcom continuation, I thought the rest was ok.

I think Michiru's voice could definitely use a bit lower volume notch than the rest. Her highest pitches got a little distorted on my headphones, that I had to lower it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom