• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

WOW

So.. finished the R11 tips...
The young girl with black hair (in the flashback) is Satoru's sister? I don't get it.. is she dead? Or is Hotori really his sister?

If so does that mean the real Satoru is the dude in sunglasses?!?!

hank-shocked.gif

Yuuichi

The common route is the best part of Grisaia. It's a really good comedy, but hit or miss when it tries to get serious.

I didn't like it at all, and I liked the routes themselves even less. I talked about it a while ago, and while the game has great production values, it felt incredibly shallow and pander-y to me. I get why people like it though.

grim-tales

From what I've read, that seems to be the case.

Thanks :) If "you" (the main character) are actually Enamoto I dont understand why you switch places? Maybe the clock tower fall did that, maybe it was part of the plan?
In the Tips it mentions Leiblich again and that Enamoto was employed there?
Maybe Enamoto had a memory transplant, and thats why he says he 'used to date Lin'. Or maybe they both dated her?

Marche90

Seeing as how most translations aren't going to be done anytime soon (including the one I was looking forward the most, Koichoco), I went back and picked up something that I still hadn't read. Which title did I picked up?

School Days

Huh... How can I describe this? I did enjoyed it way more than I thought, since the first time I tried playing I dropped it almost inmediatly, yet this time I was oddly fascinated with it. Make no mistake, the plot is waaay too idiotic, and some stuff were totally avoidable, yet... I liked it. I think that the difference this time is that I started following a different path than those I used before, in which the plot isn't as bad as the route I used to pick whenever I started it. Oh, and that most of the time I set up the playback speed to 4x

I played all the endings. I still can't decide which one is worse: "The Bloody Conclusion" or "Pushed too far". I'm leaning towards the later *shivers*. As for those that I did liked were those based around the "To Kotonoha" ending (in which they are the same ending video, but the path followed is different), and "Sexfriend" (a proper ending) and "I'm the wife" (a sub-ending), the reason being the ending scene in these two is bloody hilarious.

Now I'm not sure what to pick up next. Maybe "If my heart had wings". I still have that one, but I've never even installed it. Hmmm...

Just learned about Gore Screaming Show. Sounds like the kind of twisted thing I'm in the mood for. Too bad it's not translated. Someone should go fix that.

Anteater

So what's Narcissu 3rd on psp about? I was reading steam community and someone said there's a epilogue for Himeko, is that true?

I finished Narcissu 1st and 2nd just a week ago and really enjoyed it, the 2nd game and the characters left a huge impression on me, I thought the second game is much better than the 1st.

So what's Narcissu 3rd on psp about? I was reading steam community and someone said there's a epilogue for Himeko, is that true?

I finished Narcissu 1st and 2nd just a week ago and really enjoyed it, the 2nd game and the characters left a huge impression on me, I thought the second game is much better than the 1st.

Uggggh. Still need to DL it. Forgot to do so over the weekend :z.

Yirba

Yeah, there's a side-story involving the Narcissu Side 2nd characters, which is kinda fun.

Is Hakuoki any good? There seems to be a lot of DLC for it
I've only played the Nintendo 3DS game, but I like it. It's an interesting look at 19th century Japan, with a nice helping of fantasy to keep things exciting.

Is World End Economica worth $10 on steam?
So yeah, World End Economica, from the author of Spice and Wolf, is now available on Steam[/i]! Currently 25% off until 12th May.

I'm still playing it, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The engine is kinda annoying in that it displays text one word at a time instead of one character at a time, and the automode is way too fast, even when you turn the speed right down to the minimum (but maybe that's just due to my PC's processor being too powerful :p).

They're porting the game to Ren'py, which should make for a much better experience. They'll hopefully be done in about a month, and if you buy the game now, you can benefit from the launch week discount and receive the Ren'py version when it's released. I definitely think it's worth it.

Uthred

I've only played the Nintendo 3DS game, but I like it. It's an interesting look at 19th century Japan, with a nice helping of fantasy to keep things exciting.

Cool, it looks interesting, though not a fan of the english font on the PS3 version, is it particularly romance heavy?

Dresden

Finished the original three arcs of Cho Dengeki Stryker today. I'll get to Love, Steel, and Light at some point, but I'm pretty satisfied with how the original sagas turned out. As visual novels go it's paced surprisingly well, and it maintained a nice, campy tone all throughout. Liked the characters, the art was good (especially by usual VN standards), enjoyed my time with it.

Of the three arcs, Zero (the first one) was meh, but Heaven was fun and Sky was great.

OceanBlue

Finished the original three arcs of Cho Dengeki Stryker today. I'll get to Love, Steel, and Light at some point, but I'm pretty satisfied with how the original sagas turned out. As visual novels go it's paced surprisingly well, and it maintained a nice, campy tone all throughout. Liked the characters, the art was good (especially by usual VN standards), enjoyed my time with it.

Of the three arcs, Zero (the first one) was meh, but Heaven was fun and Sky was great.

I didn't realize there was an expansion to Dengeki Stryker. I should probably check that out at some point.

i'm in the same boat, i was totally disapointed by how the first arc turned out. My sentiment changed by how good the rest was.

Dresden

Finished the Love saga. It was okay; the ending really abuses the
built-in contrivance of the setting. Hoped for a sad end.

Now to tackle Steel.

Dresden

Finished the Steel saga. Enjoyable stuff, probably my favorite arc overall.

Steel > Sky > Heaven > Love > Zero so far, I'll hit up Light later tonight.

Finished the Steel saga. Enjoyable stuff, probably my favorite arc overall.

Steel > Sky > Heaven > Love > Zero so far, I'll hit up Light later tonight.

Those are pretty similar rankings to mine. Maybe you'll like Light saga better than I did, but I found it to be the weakest route in the VN.

Dresden

Having finished it just now... agreed on it being the weakest route. Zero was dull, but at least it wasn't a mess like Light. It's a pity that this is the one that caps off the VN.

Doesn't take away from how much I enjoyed Heaven-Sky or Steel (Clie Edition), but I wish they'd gone for something along the lines of Love saga, instead of attempting another conclusion for the universe ala Sky. Silly fluff would have been preferable to this.

Marche90

Having finished it just now... agreed on it being the weakest route. Zero was dull, but at least it wasn't a mess like Light. It's a pity that this is the one that caps off the VN.

Doesn't take away from how much I enjoyed Heaven-Sky or Steel (Clie Edition), but I wish they'd gone for something along the lines of Love saga, instead of attempting another conclusion for the universe ala Sky. Silly fluff would have been preferable to this.

You wouldn't believe how disappointed I was when I heard that Light was a very bad retread of Sky (of sorts). I ended up unistalling the game after finishing Steel! Seems like I made the right call!... even if my reasons for skipping it originally are more due to disliking the original Sky ending so much that it soured the whole experience for me, and I didn't wanted to repeat that.

upandaway

Wait wait wait wait I heard in a very casual and fleeting mention that Mahoyo is fully translated? What? Huh? What? Does anyone know anything about this? Should I get excited? I'm getting excited.

Wait wait wait wait I heard in a very casual and fleeting mention that Mahoyo is fully translated? What? Huh? What? Does anyone know anything about this? Should I get excited? I'm getting excited.

It's first pass was done a few months ago, but apparently it still needed a lot of work in editing. It's not done yet and will probably be a while.

upandaway

This pop-up in my playlist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNGlivE2Ls0

And suddenly I remember to the greatness, damn maybe its time to replay.

Btw what's your favorite VN OST, guys.?
Oh man that's a good one. I think that's my favorite track in the game. It comes up in the right times to make me feel it just by listening.

I really loved the music of every VN I played so far so I'm not sure how to pick favorites, but I guess I can mention G-Senjou, MLA and Higurashi.

Btw what's your favorite VN OST, guys.?

Umineko, tho while I love the VN the music is the only thing that is flawless about it :lol.

Music really is one of the most important parts of a traditional VN. I would almost argue that it is just as important as the story.

I have been planning forever to start my Ever17 playtrough but I have been either too busy doing schoolwork or glued on my Vita whenever I'm at my PC :(. Tho I have decided to really give it some time later this month. I want to finish it and some other stuff before Danganronpa 2 hits.

Playing through the iOS version of 999, it's okay so far, exposition a plenty though, I kinda wish they found a way to break it up or make it less long and boring.

I am interested in seeing where this goes, though, with or without puzzles. I am just really glad I got to finally play this.

Is anyone working on making a english translation/patch for Steins;Gate: Darling Of Loving Vows or is it dead?

Well, it was a console VN so nobody tried. Maybe fan efforts would be a little more likely now that it's out on iOS. On the other hand, apparently the Steins;Gate English VN sales were beyond expectations, so you never know what might happen officially...

Marche90

How are the other Overdrive games?

In my personal opinion:

Kira Kira > Deardrops > Edelweiss

I'm at classes so I can't explain in detail why, but. I'll do so later tonight Maybe I'm a little bit biased towards Kira Kira, since it was their first (readable in a coherent English) title that I read, but the reason why I liked it so much is because it was a great slice-of-life story abou how the characters managed to form a music band and stayed together in good and bad times. Also, Kirari Normal End is powerful stuff. That is all. Shame I forgot the last phrase of this one, since it is pretty badass and wanted to quote it (under spoilers, of course :p) The only complain I have about this title is the art style; those ears, yikes.

Deardrops... It's pretty good, but it suffers from being a follow-up of Kira Kira, so comparisons are inevitable, especially since both titles deal with music, plus some of the routes are very weak (Still salty about Rimu's route being a trainwreck). Still, a very good title in its own merits, plus, the art is miles better than the former.

Edelweiss is a very good comedy game, but tbh, for me the characters were somewhat forgettable. Also, a recommendation: play both this one and the Fan-Disc, since it is essentially an expansion pack with two (three?) extra routes.

LX_Theo

Banned
Got to Kokoro good end on R11... While I'm not especially in the mood to do a detailed write up on my feelings...
What the fuck is going on? I'm really, really confused by the beach stuff. At best I think its her hallucinating as she loses her last strength. I really hope the overall end to this will at least explain what is going on, given I have heard it can be disappointing.

A XBlaze – Code: Embryo (the Blazblue VN) demo is up on PS3/Vita. It seems to be the first hour of it.

In my personal opinion:

Kira Kira > Deardrops > Edelweiss

I'm at classes so I can't explain in detail why, but. I'll do so later tonight Maybe I'm a little bit biased towards Kira Kira, since it was their first (readable in a coherent English) title that I read, but the reason why I liked it so much is because it was a great slice-of-life story abou how the characters managed to form a music band and stayed together in good and bad times. Also, Kirari Normal End is powerful stuff. That is all. Shame I forgot the last phrase of this one, since it is pretty badass and wanted to quote it (under spoilers, of course :p) The only complain I have about this title is the art style; those ears, yikes.

Deardrops... It's pretty good, but it suffers from being a follow-up of Kira Kira, so comparisons are inevitable, especially since both titles deal with music, plus some of the routes are very weak (Still salty about Rimu's route being a trainwreck). Still, a very good title in its own merits, plus, the art is miles better than the former.

Edelweiss is a very good comedy game, but tbh, for me the characters were somewhat forgettable. Also, a recommendation: play both this one and the Fan-Disc, since it is essentially an expansion pack with two (three?) extra routes.

I preferred Deardrops to KiraKira, mostly because it had more of the good parts of KiraKira (the band stuff) and less of the over-the-top character drama. The better music (that violin) and more compelling main character helped too. Though it's a shame that best girl Yayoi got the short end of the stick when it comes to routes.

I haven't read Edelweiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom