• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EPA Chief Scott Pruitt: Science shouldn't dictate American policy

Zolo

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/epa-chief-scott-pruitt-science-dictate-policy/
You know the drill. The head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Scott Pruitt, has been asked about something scientific and has said something ludicrous in response.

Shortly after announcing that he wants climate researchers to “debate” climate deniers on live TV, he gave a characteristically painful interview to a Texas radio show. Just after appearing to endorse peer-reviewed science, he added that “science should not be something that’s just thrown about to try and dictate policy in Washington DC.”

When people like Pruitt say that science should stay out of politics, it’s immediately clear that they have an ulterior motive other than concern about the dilution of one or the other. This type of phrase is wielded by those who are unhappy that science is pointing something out to them that they dislike.

Very few people looked up at the solar eclipse and thought that science was a junk field of academia. Plenty of those with vested interests do, however, consider climate science and vaccines to be incredibly suspect. The reason why is incredibly simple: Acceptance of an eclipse probably doesn’t lose this administration votes, but acceptance of climate science does.

So is it any surprise that the Trump administration is doing all it can to destroy the reputation of scientists and the scientific method at any opportunity? Of course not – but it doesn’t make it any less outrageous.

yYWN7_s-200x150.gif

jiiikoo

Banned
So umm, I guess God should dictate the fucking policy then? Or stupidness? Just asking, if not science, then fucking what should do it?

Ozigizo

When ever I come across any math problem, I just ask myself "what would Jesus do!"

Seems to work out.

Real talk: this guy is deep in the pocket of the oil industry.

Giolon

I'm sorry, what? Science shouldn't be used to make policy? If we can't use empirical data, what should we use then? Superstition and vague fears of wrath from a vengeful old man in the sky?

when greedy assholes don't even bother hiding the fact that their are greedy assholes

remember, when a politician denies climate change; there is a bag of money behind all that

It really hurts to think that you can spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours studying hard to become a scientist, then struggling to get a job only to see someone like this in charge.

And here I was thinking we were headed the opposite direction and was hopefully going to rely on science more to dictate policy then this clown got elected :(

Cvie

it really seems like these guys don't understand how much of the current world they live in is built on science.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
it really seems like these guys don't understand how much of the current world they live in is built on science.

They like science when it creates something useful for them. They hate it when it reveals truths about the world that contradict their preferred narratives.

We should force these kinds of people to give up their phones, technology, and internet.

I feel like this is the only way they can learn a lesson on science.

Top Bottom