• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EPA Chief Scott Pruitt: Science shouldn't dictate American policy

anigif_enhanced-32182-1432750898-3.gif

Haha, what is this from?

Also, man, fuck republicans. Science is reality. Base your law around it you fucking shits.

science is overrated because a lot of things like climate and biology religion can also do and do it very well according to many very good people believe me

also Trump Jr and the fantastic Eric are the BEST sons of all time there is no collusion period

Apathy

Those that deny science shouldn't have access to it's benefits.

Like wtf he's the head of the EPA.

I can't believe fucking morons got put in power in the US.

fade_

Since I assume he wants capitalism to dictate American policy we should all chip in and donate to get this guy to drink some bleach.

I think the worst part is most of them know the truth, only they get benefit more by spreading this bullshit. Not to mention they'll be dead by the time the consequences become real so not their problem.

Plum

"Science shouldn't dictate American policy"

"Except when that science, no matter how flawed, gives us an excuse to harm minorities or the poor. Then it's great."

No, you don't lose votes from accepting climate science, you lose financial backing from the companies and rich people with an interest in continuing the status quo.

You should see the rage that NDT got on Twitter for making a similar remark about how no one was skeptical about scientists being able to accurately predict a solar eclipse. Coming out of the woodwork to lecture an astrophysicist on the scientific method.

People are personally invested in this shit.

Is it weird that various forms of science have done more positive things for everyone on this planet than religion.

I get to teach coding and engineering to low income children, seeing headlines like this one makes me really sad and worried about what direction education is headed towards.

How the hell is someone whose job is environmental protection meant to figure out what environments are in trouble, and what steps should be taken to protect them without using science?

Like seriously, what else can you actually use to identify the issues and means of mitigating or resolving them when it comes to the environment?

How the hell is someone whose job is environmental protection meant to figure out what environments are in trouble, and what steps should be taken to protect them without using science?

Like seriously, what else can you actually use to identify the issues and means of mitigating or resolving them when it comes to the environment?

We both know the answer. There are no issues with the environment other than economic ones due to environmental protections. Pruitt is there to represent oil/gas/energy interests and ensure the government does not get in the way.

FStubbs

The plot twist is that most of modern science was researched by deeply religious people.

If he denies science, then let's disarm the military, throw away our modern technology, and go live in caves and throw stones at each other.

Somnid

So he's basically saying repeated experimentation to demonstrate hypothesis should dictate policy. Of course science doesn't recommend, it just lays out what we think we know and what we don't, so as a reasonable basis for constructing policy it is invaluable, otherwise you get superstitious stuff like having sex with virgins cures AIDS.

Also, as an aside because well meaning people don't understand it either: science and logic are not the same thing. Logic is using formalized rules to construct new higher level rules, science is just experimenting to verify a proposed rule. Science and facts are not the same thing either, science doesn't really say anything is factual, it just says its repeatable which in humans terms generalizes to that after enough times but the scientific method doesn't claim what's real, just what's not.

Xe4

Banned
And he's free to believe that, so long as he's willing to walk the walk and:
Stop using the internet.
Stop using his cellphobe, laptop or any other piece of modern electronics.
Stop driving his car.
Stop taking plane flights.
Stop using electricity.
Stop using any modern comforts.

Oh, and quit the EPA because someone who doesn't accept science doesn't have a place at the head of an agency devoted to studying an using science to combat the problems of today.

Idiot.

So basically what he is saying that doing the right thing isn't all that important. Doing stupid things is okay, too.
And even though we know better we shouldn't always let facts inform our decisions.

This guy is the bitch of the fossil fuel industry. He is their pet. He will do everything to defend their interests, even if its costs the lives of Americans, even if it means ruining the planet for future generations.
The purest form of human garbage.

ericexpo

What was the turning point for science? I remember during the 90's America loved homemade volcanoes and shit. When did these crazies get this shit moving?

What was the turning point for science? I remember during the 90's America loved homemade volcanoes and shit. When did these crazies get this shit moving?

I highly recommend the documentary "Merchants of Doubt".
Its pretty enlightening.
It shows in great detail how special interest groups perfected their ways of using public discourse to discredit unpleasant (for them) science without having actual science to back their side up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRrCpvpE3KM

Basically its lobbyism and misinformation campaigns and a failure on the side of journalists to call out the wrong side, make it seem like there is still doubt.

Also, telling people that their way of life is wrong is a hard sell. The other side that claims that everything is fine they way we always did it has it much easier, even though the facts aren't on their side.

Mivey

I don't even understand why these people dance around the issue like this. Like if they care about science at all, they care about making money, even if it destroys the planet. Why not just openly say it? Trump pretty much admitted to not paying taxes (legally), and he got elected. He didn't hide who or what he was at all.
They should just come out and say "Look, we are not risking our continued survival on this planet for money ... We are doing it for a shitload of money". Wouldn't that get Republican voters to cheer him?

Nah. It was the ridiculous pushback that is creationism.

There was always creationism. How did it get to the various levels of government to become an issue for education? Conservatives mounted a huge propaganda effort led by Limbaugh on AM radio to get more of those kinds of conservatives elected. It was a large scale propaganda campaign against 'intellectual elites' who were wrong about everything, and the rural under-educated were told that they were actually the smart ones. Throughout the 90s as that campaign gained momentum on the anti-Clinton fantasy train, anti-science sentiment grew into a principle of their platform.

shandy706

The head of the EPA saying carbon dioxide doesn’t warm the atmosphere is like NASA’s administrator saying the Moon landings were faked.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
America - Where fact is only an opinion.
The theory of evolution is just a theory guys.

Said by those who have no idea what scientific theory means.

Fucking hell, I don't know where to start with this. This guy is in charge of the department for the environment and his ethos is to ignore scientific research on the environment because he doesn't like what it says?

The "lalala I'm not listening" approach, would be comical if this departments policy couldn't cause damage on a global scale.

Omadahl

Banned
Well if we're just going to slide right back into mysticism and good-old fashioned protestant fear, let's just start burning witches. I'll get the process started:

"PRUITT IS A WITCH! BURN HIM!"

He won't believe he's on fire anyway.

Top Bottom