• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EPA Chief Scott Pruitt: Science shouldn't dictate American policy

Oriel

Dark Ages 2.0 here we come.

Nah, just America. The rest of the world invests heavily in science, research and technology. Obama went to great efforts to reverse the decline begun by Bumbling Bush but the US continues to lag far behind Europe, China and Japan.

sagan-foreboding.jpg

For fuck's sake, it happened. Dammit.

mike6467

Come on guys, do you see how science constantly changes it's stance?
(in response to new evidence)
The bible doesn't change!
(no matter how wrong it's been)

It's just a different religion but without morality and I'd rather put my faith in Jesus and NOT some elite agenda driven
(they're telling me my lifestyle is causing harm)
jokers with their "intellect" and their "research" thank you very much.
/s

Of course /s.... With that said my first major relationship ended when we debated the necessity of religion for morality. She said she couldn't raise children without the church (which she'd never been to or expressed interest in during our 4 years together). It eventually devolved into something like the above. The kicker? She graduated from one of the top engineering schools in the country and her career was heavily reliant on her understanding of science.

night814

Good thing you don't have to be believe in science because its PROVEN to you. People who deny scientific facts should have to give up their technology.

I can't believe I waited so long to read Sagan. Started Demon-Haunted World thanks to that image, and his writing is so good. His conversational tone is such a pleasure to read

This quote was from the first chapter

How can we affect national policy—or even make intelligent decisions in our own lives—if we don’t grasp the underlying issues?

How indeed? Pruitt's comment is the antithesis to all that

Jeffrey

Sure would be nice in an ideal world, but alas... science has always been a 'gooo science' if the result matches your believes, or its good news, or 'this study isn't well done' if it disproves something you believe or affects your big businesses backing your campaigns. Regardless of party.

Can't imagine this stuff changing anytime really.

ReAxion

how about this, my good binch: "yes it should"

no medicine, airplanes, or smartphones for scott pruitt until he repents

Top Bottom