• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney comments on Apple's (outrageous) refund practices

Welp?

• He's right

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • He's wrong

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • My life for Gabe!!!

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

llien

When a customer gets refunded for an app they purchased, Apple doesn't refund the 30% cut they took from the developer, says developer Simeon Saens of Two Lives Left. While [online] payment processors generally don't refund fees on refunded payments, "the App Store doesn't position itself as a payments processor the way Stripe does, so it sounds really weird that they would act like one," writes HN user chadlavi. Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney says in a tweet:

This is a critical consideration in these 30% store fees. They come off the top, before funding any developer costs. As a result, Apple and Google make more profit from most developers' games than the developers themselves. That is terribly unfair and exploitative.

"If the app store took a 3% chunk and never refunded it regardless of the ongoing status of the transaction, that would put them right in line with other payment processors," adds chadlavi. "It would also still net them billions of dollars, I think!"

Slashdot

I knew Apple was greedy, but, good Lord...

Last edited:

llien

Apple under Tim Cook is a different company than Apple under Steve Jobs. This is known that they're greedy fucks, because their visionary leader that made them the tech powerhouse again, is dead.
The *revolutionary* "when you sell subscription on our platform, you owe us payments forever" was "revolutionized: by the Jobs himself.
Selling the the silicon fix to the "you are holding it wrong" crowd was also back in his time.
It's exactly what it always was.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

The *revolutionary* "when you sell subscription on our platform, you owe us payments forever" was "revolutionized: by the Jobs himself.
Selling the the silicon fix to the "you are holding it wrong" crowd was also back in his time.
It's exactly what it always was.

I was referring to "forget CD's have everything on a handy music player."
The iPod was what brought Apple back from their crap 90s slump which then morphed into the iPhone.

P.S. Learn to read, I said "Visionary" not "Revolutionary"

Dontero

Banned
Apple scalping customers ? I wonder why they behave like that.

c5f.gif

Last edited:

llien

P.S. Learn to read, I said "Visionary" not "Revolutionary"

I was commenting on "weren't greedy fucks" => they always were.
This is why IBM owned Apple at personal computers, Jobs went greedy.

iPhone is a logical continuations of these little guys (when mine broke, right before iPhones were about to hit, there was no replacement available to buy):

j7NnGn4.jpg

For anyone familiar with those things, (once it is technically doable) turning them into phones was an extremely obvious move.

GUI was invented at Xerox.
MP3 players existed for a while.
So did personal computers.

Jobs figured how to make money with all that, but is credited for inventing them.

Even screen freaking gestures (pitch to zoom, pan, etc) existed about decade before iPhones. It wasn't until 2003 or so that capacitive touchscreens become mainstream.

But we are getting quite offtopic...

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

I was commenting on "weren't greedy fucks" => they always were.
This is why IBM owned Apple at personal computers, Jobs went greedy.

iPhone is a logical continuations of these little guys (when mine broke, right before iPhones were about to hit, there was no replacement available to buy):

j7NnGn4.jpg

For anyone familiar with those things, (once it is technically doable) turning them into phones was an extremely obvious move.

GUI was invented at Xerox.
MP3 players existed for a while.
So did personal computers.

Jobs figured how to make money with all that, but is credited for inventing them.

But we are getting quite offtopic...
Oh if we're going just off greedy fucks then yeah... Both Microsoft and Apple owe Xerox Everything!

Edit: OMG! That PDA...
Funny how it took 15-20 years to come back in some form... But it needed the mobile/cell phone to take off.
A 'mobile' PC? Drake nah!
A 'smart' phone? Drake agreement!

Also it's not that Jobs invented all that... But he made it accessible to the 'Mainstream'
Where as PC's, PDA's, MP3 players were all gadgets in the 'Tech realm'
They weren't geared towards to average consumer. So Jobs' main thing was introducing this tech to the average person. Tim Cook is just milking it constantly with 1000 dollar iPhones.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Oh if we're going just off greedy fucks then yeah... Both Microsoft and Apple owe Xerox Everything!

Edit: OMG! That PDA...
Funny how it took 15-20 years to come back in some form... But it needed the mobile/cell phone to take off.
A 'mobile' PC? Drake nah!
A 'smart' phone? Drake agreement!

Also it's not that Jobs invented all that... But he made it accessible to the 'Mainstream'
Where as PC's, PDA's, MP3 players were all gadgets in the 'Tech realm'
They weren't geared towards to average consumer. So Jobs' main thing was introducing this tech to the average person. Tim Cook is just milking it constantly with 1000 dollar iPhones.
I always see the "People think Steve Jobs invented mp3 players" type thing when it's something people either know the truth about or don't care about enough to guess.

iPods and iPhones launched their respective device classes into the mainstream with usable interfaces, and despite any flaws it's important to recognise that if you're talking about technology shifts. PDAs were shit. I've used some terrible mp3 players. It took Android years to catch up.

JonnyMP3

Doesn't mean Apple aren't the greedy fucks we portray them as... But yeah, if a game has to refund the full price, that 30% is part of the 100%. Did he think he was missing a whopping 60% percent out of his revenue then found it again in his other jeans?

SkylineRKR

Android was all over the place in 2010 still, when Apple had a rather stable device with the 3GS. I had a HTC Desire which was an absolutely terrible phone until I rooted it and put stock Gingerbread on it but I felt it was still playing catch up to Apple. I got a Nexus S later and liked 4.0, but still had its quirks.

I think the first truly good Android system I used was the Nexus 5. I received this device after I dumped the 4S. By then I felt they were ahead of Apple.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is a critical consideration in these 30% store fees. They come off the top, before funding any developer costs. As a result, Apple and Google make more profit from most developers' games than the developers themselves. That is terribly unfair and exploitative.
Why would a store take a product it sells costs into account? lol

That's not how any store, ever works.,. it's not how Epic Games Store works either.

Sony and Microsoft take the same 30% cut on their console stores too.

supernova8

Banned
Apple under Tim Cook is a different company than Apple under Steve Jobs. This is known that they're greedy fucks, because their visionary leader that made them the tech powerhouse again, is dead.

That's why it's better to buy Apple shares and stop complaining :p

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Apple does not keep their cut during refunds. This shit is fake news that started over a tweet.

Holy fuck, at the lack of fact checking by reporting sites. We are fucked

The saddest part of this debacle, for me, is that the information was also taken as fact by the software engineering community at large which became enraged on a false premise. Nobody checks sources anymore. Nobody. Ignorance has won.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Holy shit fake news

I mean this is technical news. Either it is or it isn’t. Did someone just write a news story without doing any investigation?

Being a writer these days seems like the easiest job in the universe

Apple does not keep their cut during refunds. This shit is fake news that started over Tweet.

The saddest part of this debacle, for me, is that the information was also taken as fact by the software engineering community at large which became enraged on a false premise. Nobody checks sources anymore. Nobody. Ignorance has won.

Imagine my surprise when someone at Epic rolls with a lie.

There is no surprise

At least Epic has been consistently full of shit.

A.Romero

Nice to see Sweeney's main marketing strategy is shitting on the rest. That's the kind of stuff I would expect his company to know if he is really trying to learn from what others are doing wrong. Instead, apparently he only know what Twitter says.

What about just focusing on improving your products and use the competition as a reference on what not to do instead of bitching?

He is a hypocrite. I really want to play Shenmue 3 on PC but I'm not spending a cent on his store.

Really good job on the Unreal Engines, though. Keep it up Epic!

Apple does not keep their cut during refunds. This shit is fake news that started over a tweet.

On the internet, facts are merely opinions, and opinions are concrete facts.

reptilex

Banned
When a customer gets refunded for an app they purchased, Apple doesn't refund the 30% cut they took from the developer, says developer Simeon Saens of Two Lives Left. While [online] payment processors generally don't refund fees on refunded payments, "the App Store doesn't position itself as a payments processor the way Stripe does, so it sounds really weird that they would act like one," writes HN user chadlavi. Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney says in a tweet:

"If the app store took a 3% chunk and never refunded it regardless of the ongoing status of the transaction, that would put them right in line with other payment processors," adds chadlavi. "It would also still net them billions of dollars, I think!"

Slashdot

I knew Apple was greedy, but, good Lord...

Thank god this is illegal in Europe. Not our fault that americans have zero protection and regulations because 'muh freedom and individualism'.

GlockSaint

Are we always looking for something to be mad about? I felt like this was fake before it was confirmed fake. I mean take a look at how many developers are there for ios, never heard this complaint before and if it were true there would be riots across the internet.

theHFIC

Tim Sweeney built his empire on the backs of other people's ideas.

Where are the API's and SDK for 3rd party stores on Fortnite? After all it has now transcended into a social media platform.

sainraja

Well, hopefully, this encourages developers to make apps that give people less of a reason to ask for a refund. :D

adamosmaki

I always see the "People think Steve Jobs invented mp3 players" type thing when it's something people either know the truth about or don't care about enough to guess.

iPods and iPhones launched their respective device classes into the mainstream with usable interfaces, and despite any flaws it's important to recognise that if you're talking about technology shifts. PDAs were shit. I've used some terrible mp3 players. It took Android years to catch up.
If anything it was nokia and Symbian that launched smartphones into the mainstream especially in europe where nokia smartphones in mid 00s where crazy popular . The only think i credit apple is launching touchscreens into the mainstream and make them intuitive to function on phones but thats about it

Top Bottom