• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

GymWolf

Having read the horror stories in the last 2 pages, I wouldn't give them even 1000 lire.

Rerun #1.
Having bought and played a fuckload of games on epic store without a single problem i have no problem with giving them all the lire i have.
Most annoying thing is the fact that you can only use a xone\sex controller if you are lazy and don't wanna add the games on steam.

The "epic store is evil" narrative is almost as amusing as the horror stories from console only players on how you need albert einstein brain to start a game from steam or to update gpu drivers.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Having bought and played a fuckload of games on epic store without a single problem i have no problem with giving them all the lire i have.
1000-lire.png

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The "epic store is evil" narrative is almost as amusing
I don't think it's evil (At least, not any more than the rest of them, let's not pretend these corporations are anyone's friend).
It is however, a groundbreakingly sub-par product/service, only kept up from being the worst on the market by Microsoft having 'an alternative' present that underscores the worst of software engineering of all the stores combined.
But Epic is really not far behind in this race to the bottom - and 4 years in, none of the excuses they had are relevant/valid anymore. It's just really bottom-tier piece of software and backend services that do nothing to justify its existence beyond the money being thrown into content to prop it up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't think it's evil (At least, not any more than the rest of them, let's not pretend these corporations are anyone's friend).
It is however, a groundbreakingly sub-par product/service, only kept up from being the worst on the market by Microsoft having 'an alternative' present that underscores the worst of software engineering of all the stores combined.
But Epic is really not far behind in this race to the bottom - and 4 years in, none of the excuses they had are relevant/valid anymore. It's just really bottom-tier piece of software and backend services that do nothing to justify its existence beyond the money being thrown into content to prop it up.
I'm a basic user so if i can buy a game, use a controller and ask for a fast refound, i'm happy.

Epic store does that and has some nice gifts and deals.

Download times are also way faster than steam that sometimes think that i have a 5mb connecton instead of my actual 100gb connection...

Ignorance is bliss i guess.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm a basic user so if i can buy a game, use a controller and ask for a fast refound, i'm happy.
Sure - but even on those basics, Epic Store isn't great (eg. controller support is less than great, shop interface is clunky, slow, and difficult to navigate and shopping experience is one of the slowest/obtrusive of any active store (not just on PC). Possibly only beaten by Switch in that respect.
IME (obviously both of us are just anecdotes) download/installs are among the slowest of PC stores I use (somewhere between UPlay and Origin, which both tend to take forever).

But there's other QoL things that are really bad - eg. offline installs/behavior is basically just designed to irritate/frustrate, (though again, a touch better than MS store in that respect which is just completely broken), and I could go on. I mean 'ignorance is bliss' is easy to say if there's no alternative options that work better - but on PC there are tons, also most also have better libraries, so it's not like I'm missing out* on anything by mostly ignoring Epic.

*I understand Epic has pretty decent $ deals, so maybe it works out on that level, but since most PC options nowadays are already very cost effective (least of all, even Microsoft, thanks to GP) it's hard for me to say if that's worth putting up with other problems.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wow a game that's not a re run. Either that or I just didn't claim it back then.

Bragr

Banned
Sable got one of those art styles where at times it looks cool and at times it hurts to look at. Like Obra Dinn.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Awwwww yeah, another free ~75 Metacritic game with which to pad my library. I'll boot it up to check out the art style and then likely never finish it

Thanks again for the free shit, Timmy!

lyan

Sure - but even on those basics, Epic Store isn't great (eg. controller support is less than great, shop interface is clunky, slow, and difficult to navigate and shopping experience is one of the slowest/obtrusive of any active store (not just on PC). Possibly only beaten by Switch in that respect.
IME (obviously both of us are just anecdotes) download/installs are among the slowest of PC stores I use (somewhere between UPlay and Origin, which both tend to take forever).

But there's other QoL things that are really bad - eg. offline installs/behavior is basically just designed to irritate/frustrate, (though again, a touch better than MS store in that respect which is just completely broken), and I could go on. I mean 'ignorance is bliss' is easy to say if there's no alternative options that work better - but on PC there are tons, also most also have better libraries, so it's not like I'm missing out* on anything by mostly ignoring Epic.

*I understand Epic has pretty decent $ deals, so maybe it works out on that level, but since most PC options nowadays are already very cost effective (least of all, even Microsoft, thanks to GP) it's hard for me to say if that's worth putting up with other problems.
Download speed depends on where you live I guess, Steam used to be fast for me 7-10 years ago then over the years it has gotten slower and slower to the point now I consider myself very lucky with 5-10MB/s no matter which server I try, unbearable with how large some games have become these days. With Epic I get anywhere between 20-50 which is still not ideal when I'm on fibre but it is acceptable.

Wildebeest

Broken Sword: Director's Cut on gog.

Tomorrow's Epic game is probably a repeat of a Wolfenstein game.

Merry Christmas! Sable is a pretty nice gift, I'm already happy with that. Anything more is just overtreating.
How are you playing this? It shows some crappy mlp fighting game and mystery game in 22 hours. Feels dirty even logging into epic store.

The store that doesn't allow user reviews is crazy anti consumer. I won't buy anything from them, especially now that i have steam deck.

Susurrus

How are you playing this? It shows some crappy mlp fighting game and mystery game in 22 hours. Feels dirty even logging into epic store.

The store that doesn't allow user reviews is crazy anti consumer. I won't buy anything from them, especially now that i have steam deck.

It has been changing every 24 hours (noon Eastern US time) since Thursday. Previous game was Sable.

Top Bottom