• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESA/NPD: 74% of US game market was digital in 2016 (including mobile, etc)

Norse

In the past you could play your game right off the disc it was on. Installing every game has made digital a better option imo. No need to put in a game disc to play means switching games is painless now.

Interesting, I was actually expecting it to be a bit higher when factoring in mobile, DLCs, subscriptions etc.
That change over the past few years is kinda crazy to see though

Curufinwe

In the past you could play your game right off the disc it was on. Installing every game has made digital a better option imo. No need to put in a game disc to play means switching games is painless now.

I actually find digital a worse option this generation, than it was on the 360 when I had a 250 GB hard drive and games were usually 7 GB. And that was also before Amazon and Best Buy started selling new games for $48.

Colbert

Banned
I am 100% digital since day one on Xbox One. It is much more convenient to have all your games at a finger tip and on an external drive, so you can take the games where ever you want. But there are still open issues: Pricing and trading. I hope for a solution for this in the not so far future.

entremet

Would be fearful of digital only future as you can't really resell the games and are bound to accounts and download servers which if service fails and closes you're screwed

I see games as ephemeral experiences these days. Sure, I replay older favs from time to time, but if this happens, I would honestly go, "Oh well" and be fine with it.

leeh

This doesn't surprise me, or anyone at this point. It's only going to keep growing when were seeing better digital support and sales.

Can't wait to see MS' digital numbers in NPD, let's hope others fall suit.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I actually find digital a worse option this generation, than it was on the 360 when I had a 250 GB hard drive and games were usually 7 GB. And that was also before Amazon and Best Buy started selling new games for $48.
Same here.

As games got bigger, I don't know if I could go all digital.

The PSN, XBL sales don't help tho, lol.

I am shocked when I see PS4 XBO games under 20-30GB.

Top Bottom