• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESA/NPD: 74% of US game market was digital in 2016 (including mobile, etc)

Kayant

Has NPD always tracked digital on consoles before the recent change but not published it publicly? That could factor into growth.

kirblar

I started converting my PS4 library to digital a few months ago (something's on sale? time to trade in the disc for PSN credit!), its so nice to be rid of the discs.

Wereroku

Taking into account the number of digital only games released it actually pretty amazing that Retail still has a 26% share. I mean the real turning point will be the first "AAA" game to launch with only digital. I assume it will be an Online only game like For Honor but indies and smaller companies have already seen the benefits in price flexibility and low overhead that comes with digital only.

Valve already did the research and released it a long time ago. Gross profit is not driven by single unit price, but volume.

Thing is even that only is talking about units.

Digital add on / microtransactions is a massive deal. There are people playing service games like Overwatch, COD, Rocket League, etc. that have spent substantially more on digital add ons than what any of those games cost full priced on day 1.

LKSmash

Physical just seems like a hassle to me now. Changing disc, forgetting discs, having shit take up space. The only problem is pricing but the convience is unmatched

Plus sharing on Xbox. Having the ability to play a game at the same time as a friend/sibling at the same time with just one copy is an awesome feature only present with digital.

lawnchair

Banned
In the case of subscriptions why they are included, because that is very important in terms of how the console manufacturers are doing. Xbox Live / PS+ generate ENORMOUS revenue for Sony / MS so its pretty important when figuring the overall health of the industry

but it has nothing to do with digital vs. physical games sales, which is why i was wondering why they included it.

it doesn't seem honest to lump in "total amount paid for PSN subscriptions" with "digital game sales". maybe i'm reading the graph wrong..?

If a console manufacturer allowed some sort of trade in program for digital licenses towards new digital games it would be pretty crazy to see how much digital full sized games would increase.

A huge amount of people that are still buying physical do so for trade in / resale purposes. I would be very interested in seeing the effect such a platform on digital purchases would affect things.

but it has nothing to do with digital vs. physical games sales, which is why i was wondering why they included it.

Because the chart in the OP isn't about physical vs digital game sales? It's about industry revenue

Seems inevitable with mobile being so ubiquitous. I still like physical for consoles personally.

Physical just seems like a hassle to me now. Changing disc, forgetting discs, having shit take up space. The only problem is pricing but the convience is unmatched

The resale value going to $0 as soon as it is purchased is a pretty big downer.

Necron

Got asked by a friend why I still purchase games on a disc last weekend... and I was kind of surprised by the question.

I answered that the prices are better and I like having a physical release (if it's available). An all-digital future looks grim in my opinion. How is having access to a single store (e.g. PSN) that has total control over the software you purchased, good in any way? I don't get it.

Edit: it's kind of depressing that graphics are the number 1 reason for a purchase.

lawnchair

Banned
Because the chart in the OP isn't about physical vs digital game sales? It's about industry revenue

it says physical and digital sales right at the top there.

i think what i'm not understanding is the following - on the top chart are they counting a person paying for an XBL subscription as a digital sale?

Wozman23

Interesting that simply 'gameplay' wasn't listed as a determining factor for buying a game.

As others have said, it'd be interesting to see how this broke down for just consoles. I'd expect PC and mobile to skew pretty much all the data, especially in the favor of digital and with the age and gender demographics.

I seriously doubt the largest group of women on consoles are also in the over 50 age group.

Kyougar

Everyone who dismisses this because they dont see the breakdown of platforms, forgets that their hobby and their "mah physical disks" are declining year to year.
We went from 69% to 26% physical to digital ratio. The market at large shufts to digital. So when the decision comes where to invest, the big companies and more importantly the new blood will develop where they have the biggest audience. (not everyone, mind you, there will always be niche devs)

And the new kids will grow up with mostly digital games.

So what does that have to do with the business-model from Microsoft Sony and Nintendo?
In every thread about digital ratios and the argument why digital cant be cheaper, there are arguments about the NEED of the manufacturers to buddy up with the b&m stores. They sell their consoles.
But what happens if fewer people go to stores and buy digital instead? If fewer and fewer titles have a physical release?
You can either make the argument that brick and mortar stores help promote the console and new releases and are quintessential to the life of a console or that they dont matter in the long run and the console makers are not held hostage pricewise.

If the consoles cant survive without b&m stores and the market goes more and more digital, than the console market will shrink. You cant expect an 8 year old to suddenly love physical games when he is 14 and grew up with phone and tablet games. With 8 he will have probably no say in the use of the family TV with a console that has mostly age 12+ games. With 14 he probably can use the familiy TV more often or has his own. But in those years he grew up on digital games on his phone or tablet.

Cool, I figured things were going this way. They had to be. It's moving very quickly too imo. Look at the difference just back in 2010/2011 to now. That's a big shift.

If we could get rid of things like data caps, no refunds, lack of ability to resell etc this could be a good thing. As long as all the caveats exist though, they better keep doing physical for those that want it. Under this idiot president we have here in the US, we'll probably be held back for at least the next few years.

Also (for me at least) the fact that you can buy digital and then play that single copy simultaneously on 2 systems (at least on PS4 and I believe on Xbox) is a huge huge reason that I choose digital even though there aren't as many discounts and such. I really hope they do not take this away. To me it almost makes up for any of the mentioned drawbacks of digital.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yup, that's me. The only physical I've bought in YEARS are CE/LEs. If it's a plain jane release, digital all the way.

I'll even throw the physical die hards a free smh. Even if I can get the physical version for like $20 or the digital for like $30 (because of a sale or something), I'll STILL grab the digital.

Simply can't be assed to have a physical collection anymore. After 30+ years of gaming, this shit takes up way too much room.

spekkeh

Banned
67% of people basing their purchase on the quality of the graphics is both expected and so, so depressing.
Given that this includes mobile, I'm sure it's upwards of ninety percent of PS4, Xbox and PC owners.

I buy only digital now. I have a slow internet connection. I buy a disc based game. I get home. I need to download a patch. Now I'm not playing it until the next day.

If I buy digital. Most likely I'm playing it the next day but sometimes the same day and it's simply less clutter around the house.

Smartphones and Steam have changed the way I thought about games. I buy most of my games digitally when they're on sale. Also, aren't some major games digital only? Did Rocket League get a retail release?

Is this leaning more towards the mobile side inflating the numbers?

What do you mean by "inflating"? Gaming spend is gaming spend. Mobile gaming spend is just as valuable dollar for dollar as any other gaming spend.

Difficult to say what this means, if we're including mobile games and in-app purchases.

It's too bad that they won't break it down by platform.

It's really easy to say what it means... it means that more % of spend is digital now than before.

And what do you mean "by platform"?

I believe this type of info is only interesting if removed 100% digital platforms like mobile and PC.

Actually, removing 100% digital platforms would make the info far less interesting. Consoles & Portable traditional gaming platforms are now niche.

That top factor is a big reason I think we'll still see a lot of third parties passing on the Nintendo Switch. It'll more or less be the Wii U and Wii all over again in regards to software support.

Absolutely baffling conclusion to draw from this data. But you do you.

it says physical and digital sales right at the top there.

i think what i'm not understanding is the following - on the top chart are they counting a person paying for an XBL subscription as a digital sale?

A dollar spent is a dollar spent. The chart is in regards to share of spending on physical vs digital platforms. A dollar spent on an XBL subscription is a dollar spent on digital gaming products.

Seems MS is potentially positioning themselves well with Scorpio in the US, with the largest factor influencing game purchases being the quality of graphics and the most popular games these days being mutliplatform games. Looks like price is also important though, so they'll not want to go too crazy on that.

Ushay

Internet infrastructure continues to improve in most countries so I'm not surprised to see this growth.

Personally I've only purchased 3 games physically, while the rest (over 30 games) were digital from new releases and sales. Now that MS have the refund policy coming out, it makes things even better. The reason I went digital was because I wanted to have access to my library of games all the time especially on forward consoles. I suppose my purchases have been vindicated with Scorpio coming out and improving upon them in particular ways.

On other platforms I can see Switch contributing to this via DLC packs and the eStore, hopefully incentivise Nintendo to improve their internet capabilities. Hopefully this trend continues and lowers digital prices, or more frequent sales.

I'd be interested to see these numbers with just console core games, to be honest. DLC has to inflate numbers because they don't come out on discs. Same with mobile games, Steam games, etc. What are full console owners doing with their purchases for games?

Ushay

If a console manufacturer allowed some sort of trade in program for digital licenses towards new digital games it would be pretty crazy to see how much digital full sized games would increase.

A huge amount of people that are still buying physical do so for trade in / resale purposes. I would be very interested in seeing the effect such a platform on digital purchases would affect things.

I think (if memory serves) this was something in the works with MS and their digital proposition for Xbox One. They goofed up the message (and timing for such an idea) obviously, but the concept is neat and holds serious potential.

entremet

Of course.

Physical is going to be practically dead soon enough (soon relatively speaking not months, probably two generations or so)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Absolutely baffling conclusion to draw from this data. But you do you.

The biggest factor influencing the decision to purchase a video game is quality of the graphics.

Thusly third-party publishers are going to go all-out pushing shiny graphics in an effort to sell their software.

Guess which platform isn't so hot in regards to parity?

Not sure how that's a baffling conclusion.

In 2016 to this exact date all my game purchases were digital for me. Except for Zelda on Switch which I bought the collectors.

I do all my buying during flash sales.
This time arround I have Absolutely NO plans on selling my PS4 Pro when the next gen consoles come out.

I might be Switching to XBox tho for the scorpion and their reimbursing policy.

ethomaz

Banned
Actually, removing 100% digital platforms would make the info far less interesting. Consoles & Portable traditional gaming platforms are now niche.
When talking about Digital vs Retail makes the info IMO biased because you don't have the choice between Retail or Digital in 100% Digital options... so it is not now how strong Digital is growing over retail or what exactly situation the retail market is facing.

And niche is not the right word I may choose to describe $6.37b even if it is 26%.

Let's see how things will go after Switch release that is focused more in retail than digital (due memory space limitations).

I wish the data set had a chart for digital vs physical on games/content available on both.

When talking about Digital vs Retail makes the info IMO biased because you don't have the choice between Retail or Digital in 100% Digital options... so it is not now how strong Digital is growing over retail or what exactly situation the retail market is facing.

While true and I thought that as well, the charts is just about market, not unit sales or some per title analysis or units sold. It's just the market and how much do digital markets generate vs physical markets, not what percentage of sales on a game come from physical copies vs digital copies.

I've also gone 100% digital purchases over the last few years, it's not only far more convenient but I've also ended up with significantly more games for my money compared to the 100% physical days of olde.

Seel

Neo Member
Retail software sales in the US experienced its worst month in December in two decades—dropping 16 percent year-over-year and GameStop’s stock price fell 28 percent from its highest point in 2016.

Meanwhile, SuperData observed that console digital revenue in the US has increased by 16 percent year-over-year, capping off a record sales quarter in which total revenue hit a combined $1 billion for the first time. Gamers just had to have their favorite titles this past holiday, evidenced by an impressive 21 percent jump in total full game download units in December.

UK market follows a similar trend.

The graph highlights share of total market spending. You want the graph to answer questions that the data provided makes no attempt at addressing.

I started converting my PS4 library to digital a few months ago (something's on sale? time to trade in the disc for PSN credit!), its so nice to be rid of the discs.

This is what I do. Honestly, Sony,MS and Nintedo should take a leaf out of BB/Amazon's book and have a 20% discount on digital games if you have PS+/Gold/Nintendo Online.

Watch how everyone jumps in the digital train just like that.

Did we ever get the digital game sale numbers for Halo 5? Man it was mocked quite a bit for lower physical sales numbers than previous halo games. But if you tried to argue that digital sales were likely more than 30% you were laughed at even more. I think this confirms that digital sales have become widely accepted thanks to the mobile platform as well as steam. A lot of console games probably come close to 40-50% digital sales. Of course I have absolutely no evidence to back it up, but it isnt a completely illogical thought anymore.

Sounds about right. Digital is an amazing distribution outlet both for full titles and added content.

Also, am I the only person who's using their PS4 as a secondary console so my brother in another state can play games I purchase?

redcrayon

How are people surprised at the average age of purchaser being 36? As a 36 year old myself it totally makes sense.

Our generation were the pioneering gamers. We were the ones on the ground floor and watched the hobby grow into what it is today. Naturally we're the main purchaser.

It also totally explains the patent stats. Which will no doubt grow and grow over the next decade.
I think it's more that there's a lot of very young people on Gaf that think being in your thirties makes you 'old'.

Lucreto

I would love to see a UK and EU breakdown on the digital market. Since physical game are still significantly cheaper than the digital versions I wonder how that will play on the percentages

JusDoIt

100% of my games this gen have been digital. The last physical game I got was a copy of Assassin's Creed Liberation that came with my Vita back in 2012.

Deepwater

I bought persona 5 digital because I wasn't sure if my local gamestop was gonna do a 9pm release and that was the only way I was gonna give them money

zelas

UK market follows a similar trend.
Yep. The data people are looking (grasping) for is readily available month after month in NPD threads. Several months in recent years have highlighted a YoY decline in console physical revenue, with handhelds faring far worse. The ESA/NPD report providing YoY console physical vs console digital revenue would be nice, but it would just be a reflection of what the overall industry numbers say.

This is our reality.

So this is more "game revenue" as opposed to numbers of copies sold.

I mean, I'm sure GTA V sold way more physically than digitally, and I'm also sure that they make more money off IAP's than through copies of the game being sold.

I just wonder if you created a chart of how people are actually purchasing games that are available phyiscally and digitally, if these numbers would look completely different, but obviously the real money is in the DLC/microtransactions/IAP's and I guess people are voting with the wallets and saying that is what they want out of video games.

Getting into PC gaming 2 years ago made me comfortable with the idea of a digital library. Previously I was 'physical or nothing!' But for me it was digital done right since my steam games are on a hardware agnostic platform.

On the console side of things, I was about 50/50 but now I"m like 80/20 digital. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just sort of happened. PSN sales have gotten much better this gen( not quite as good as steam/GOG etc, but good enough), and I usually wait till a game is like $25 or less to buy digitally. At that point I'm not worried about 'resale' value because by the time I'm likely done with the game or want to sell off a physical copy, it's in the '2 for $10' gamestop and target clearance bins. Not much reason for me to keep around a ton of physical boxes/discs worth pennies. I've actually sold off a few physical copies that I initially bought cheap( recently Last of Us remastered) just so I could pick it up for $8 off last week's PSN sale. I'm debating doing the same thing with Uncharted 4, which would leave a sealed copy of Diablo III as my lone physical PS4 game( that game never seems to go on sale, for whatever reason).

I went digital and never looked back with the exception of the occasional steelbook. Its nice having every game just ready to start without the need to remove a disc and it makes sense this generation where more and more games are treated like a service. I got Zelda physical so i could just play immediatley when i got my system but ill never change out another card in that thing, and if there is a mario special edition ill likely just go physical and digital

Not with digital sales, and you have to factor in the inconvenience of travel.

Honestly this is such a minor consideration for the vast majority of digital-only gamers. None of the millions of Candy Crush et al. players care about "resell value" or "renting to friends". Legal Legends scoffs at brick and mortars.
If you're a shut in...

paulogy

Two things amuse me about this:

1. The idea of buying a "physical" mobile app
2. The idea that anyone buys mobile apps

Top Bottom