• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN loses over 3 million subscribers over the past year

Status
Not open for further replies.

newjeruse

Everyone deservedly bashes ESPN for their awful and faux-controversial studio shows. And I obviously get why. But their live event coverage is so prolific, I give them somewhat of a pass for their "embrace debate" bullshit. I'm not sure people understand how hard or expensive it is to cover one college football or basketball game. They do thousands. They put the money on the screen.

Chichikov

Everyone deservedly bashes ESPN for their awful and faux-controversial studio shows. And I obviously get why. But their live event coverage is so prolific, I give them somewhat of a pass for their "embrace debate" bullshit. I'm not sure people understand how hard or expensive it is to cover one college football or basketball game. They do thousands. They put the money on the screen.
I'm happy for any live sports coverage, and as someone who grew up without SportsCenter (I'm not *that* old, but we didn't get it where I was born) I certainly can appreciate having a solid highlights program (even though I have plenty of complaints about the current state of SportsCenter).
But the problem with their live coverage is that they're always bottom tier, other channels just do it soooooooooooo much better.

entremet

Their studio shows get good ratings. First Take gets pretty big ratings as well.

Skip isn't getting paid bank for nothing. And SAS new contract is a pretty big one too.

verizon-bill.png

Your actual bill for cable is $69/month, not $150. We can't keep lumping everything together when arguing the cost of cable.

$35 of that bill is just in STB alone. We need to be arguing for more open box standards so that innovation in that area can be pushed further forward. It's 2016, we have massive arrays of cloud infrastructure and we're still relying on dedicated boxes with hard disks.

Culex

Banned
Your actual bill for cable is $69/month, not $150. We can't keep lumping everything together when arguing the cost of cable.

$35 of that bill is just in STB alone. We need to be arguing for more open box standards so that innovation in that area can be pushed further forward. It's 2016, we have massive arrays of cloud infrastructure and we're still relying on dedicated boxes with hard disks.

Technically yes it's far less for the cable bill but the entire thing is subsidized by the insane DVR and STB fees. Cable companies are able to charge less for the bundle by charging exorbitant pricing on the hardware and software that should already be built into the pricing.

gcubed

Technically yes it's far less for the cable bill but the entire thing is subsidized by the insane DVR and STB fees. Cable companies are able to charge less for the bundle by charging exorbitant pricing on the hardware and software that should already be built into the pricing.

At that rate you can buy a lifetime TiVo subscription with a box and a mini and come out ahead before you're contract is up. And not have the shitty FiOS guide

AndyD

aka andydumi

As mentioned above there are alternatives to the cable company cable boxes. Tivo is one. Being a Tivo owner, I much prefer this approach where not everything is bundled into the cable price, as I am not interested in subsidizing boxes for everyone else.

If someone wants a fancy HD DVR box from the cable company, let them pay for it. I do hope for more open standards, so that there is more competition on the boxes, but I prefer things to be itemized the way they are now.

Ron Mexico

I actually disagree here and it's a big reason why I cut the cord. While I agree we need a solution that doesn't involve a set-top box, as long as it currently does, it belongs in the cost of the package.

I'm happy for any live sports coverage, and as someone who grew up without SportsCenter (I'm not *that* old, but we didn't get it where I was born) I certainly can appreciate having a solid highlights program (even though I have plenty of complaints about the current state of SportsCenter).
But the problem with their live coverage is that they're always bottom tier, other channels just do it soooooooooooo much better.

As long as ESPN has Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy calling NBA games there is no way their live coverage will be bottom tier. They are much better than Reggie Miller on TNT and whoever calls the NBA TV games.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I actually disagree here and it's a big reason why I cut the cord. While I agree we need a solution that doesn't involve a set-top box, as long as it currently does, it belongs in the cost of the package.

A basic box is generally free or very cheap. A HD one is more expensive, and a DVR is more expensive still. Again, options that make it more expensive, despite being nearly ubiquitous.

Ric Flair

Banned
Internet sites are much more convenient these days than spending an hour waiting to hear about the event you missed. Also, they killed their own network with all the bullshit opinion shows. 30 for 30 is what they should shoot for in their daily shows, not hot take bullshit

Ronin Ray

As long as ESPN has Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy calling NBA games there is no way their live coverage will be bottom tier. They are much better than Reggie Miller on TNT and whoever calls the NBA TV games.

I am with you on Hubie Brown but Jeff Van Gundy is horrible one of the worst to me. He goes on rants and misses whats going on in the game all the time. He tries to make the games about him and his opinions and it's not. ESPN should let Doris Burke or Hubie Brown call big games and the finials.

Sulik2

ESPN turned into hot garbage and as my interest in football has waned I just don't need sports talk and sport shows at all in my life. ESPN just is not as relevant as they used to be with the sub 40 crowd from my experience.

They should bring back Playmakers and push forward more original programming projects.

This will never happen, the NFL HATED Playmakers. Their football money trumps an original show.

johnny956

I switched my Sling package to the one that doesn't have ESPN but instead has Fox Sports and it's regional channel. Way more beneficial to me. So I'm one of those lost subscribers

If there is one thing i do not understand about espn, it is that (In)sider where everything seems to be behind a pay wall.

Who pays for these articles?

Google that WSJ link and you can view the article without paying

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I have a question for those who have dropped ESPN, would 4K bring you back?

Would you subscribe to ESPN in for or another (OTT, directv, dish, comcast, etc) if they offered live sports in 4K?

I also switched my Sling package to the non-ESPN one because I don't watch it aside from MNF, College Gameday, and the later NBA playoff rounds. If I want to see it now, I just bum off my parents Xfinity account and watch it on the app.

Ron Mexico

A basic box is generally free or very cheap. A HD one is more expensive, and a DVR is more expensive still. Again, options that make it more expensive, despite being nearly ubiquitous.

And that's just it. Can you use a SD box? Sure. How many people actually would though?

There's reasonable expectations that come with today's tech. I'd include HD as a reasonable minimum, which again means adding it to the "total cost"

BFIB

Not surprising. ESPN is bottom tier for sports coverage. If your an MLB fan, MLB Network is leagues above what ESPN offers. And covers more than just a few teams like ESPN does.

Same goes if your into the NFL, NBA, there are dedicated channels just for their respective sport that is way above what ESPN offers nowadays.

I dropped ESPN but kept my DirectTV subscription until my contract ends in a couple months. Went from paying $100/month to $30/month. Decided to keep the subscription till contract end since the early termination fee is $20/month, only a difference of $10/month. Once my contract ends DirectTv can kiss me goodbye for good. Only thing I will miss is Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football when the NFL season begins. Love me some NFL. O well maybe if enough people cut the cord, Disney will move MNF from ESPN to ABC. Any chance of that?

I know. The series was too real, literally and figuratively. But let a man dream :(

Playmakers would be epic if a premium network revived it. Playmakers always looked out of place on ESPN, it was way too graphic and raunchy. I don't get why it's been a decade now and someone hasn't looked to pick up that franchise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I dropped ESPN but kept my DirectTV subscription until my contract ends in a couple months. Went from paying $100/month to $30/month. Decided to keep the subscription till contract end since the early termination fee is $20/month, only a difference of $10/month. Once my contract ends DirectTv can kiss me goodbye for good. Only thing I will miss is Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football when the NFL season begins. Love me some NFL. O well maybe if enough people cut the cord, Disney will move MNF from ESPN to ABC. Any chance of that?

Thankfully, 10 of the Thursday Night Football games are being carried by CBS or NBC this year.

spookyfish

I only missed it when the bowl games came on in the fall, but ... it wasn't enough to make me sign back up. Later, ESPN.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I really can't hate too much on ESPN. Without them, the sports explosion likely wouldn't have happened. I hate First Take, but I know plenty of people who love it. I am not a fan of only showing highlights of the most popular teams/schools, but on the other hand ESPN and ESPN3 are the only ways I get to see many of the smaller schools play at all. So it is definitely a mixed bag.

ESPN seems to be poised for the digital transition as well. They have WatchEspn now, they bought part of the company that handles MLB.tv as well. So looks like they are getting ready to attract those cord cutters. If ESPN is the only reason many are holding on to cable, a stand alone app would be perfect for them, if they are comfortable with streaming to TV.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yes, people have largely discovered that they can do without a 24/7 sports channel if it means saving $150/month.

Thats not what happened so much, I don't think. For one, people were never interested in the 24/7 aspect of ESPN. People didn't tune to ESPN because they were talking sports all the time, they tuned in a precise moments of live sports action.

I suspect what happened is many people realized they should share online logins and still have enough access to those live sports moments, or have flat-out turned to illegal streaming services, especially if this is true of the cord-cutting crowd. The 30 and under crowd isn't unfamiliar with such sites. I remember they were everywhere when I was in college.

I know so many people who say they'd subscribe to an online version of ESPN separate from the cable tv just for live sports. It's crazy how there is an obvious product out there that people want, and the conglomerates just can't put it together.

Mully

I wonder how many cable subscribers they lost and how many streaming viewers they added this year.

I rarely watch them on cable, but I often watch a game on the ESPN app.

Ron Mexico

I know so many people who say they'd subscribe to an online version of ESPN separate from the cable tv just for live sports. It's crazy how there is an obvious product out there that people want, and the conglomerates just can't put it together.

I do think a la carte is 100% the future, I just don't want to see the bastardizations of it before they get it right. I can easily see something ridiculous like a pay by the hour along the lines of the old old school Prodigy and early AOL days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom