• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth |Imp. OT| 5th Adventures of Fight & Heal

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
lUgtpFn.png

py1i3RD.png

Platform: 3DS (Japanese)
Release Date: 08-04-2016 (Japan)
Publisher: Atlus
Genre: 3D Dungeon RPG
Player(s): 1
CERO: B (12 and up)
Price: Package / Download - 6,480 JPY (w/o tax)
Limited Edition - 9,980 JPY (w/o tax)
6JdBSBx.png

Demo Version available on the Nintendo eshop. Save Data can be carried over.
RrNivK6.png

EOV Complete Guide (JP Ver.)
Price: 1,850 JPY + Tax
Release: September 9th, 2016
Size: A5
Pages: 304

6XB0Kgt.png

“Arcadia,” a land dominated by swords and magic. A huge tree from ancient times called “Yggdrasil” exists here and is to be the reason that peace visits the world.

There is a legend about that World Tree. If you can manage to reach its untrodden summit, it is said that your dreams will come true.

“The power to dominate the world.” “The most powerful.” “The world’s mysteries.” “Expensive treasures.”

Although there are four races that live in this land, each has a different legend, but no person has been able to confirm them.

From the city “Aeolis” at the bottom of Yggdrasil, the official orders are issued. In pursuit of the legend, the courageous adventurers who will challenge Yggdrasil gather in Aeolis. You’re one of the adventurers in response to the official orders.

Whether it’s for wealth and honor, or to satisfy your sense of adventure, you’ll challenge the labyrinths and aim for the top of the World Tree.
*Credits to Gematsu

yneIpV9.png

• The concept for the latest game is character customization with a high degree of freedom and dungeon exploration that tickles your adventurous spirit, as well as consistent battles and growth.
  • With the new races never seen in previous games, you can make a completely new character.
  • 4 Races at start Earthrun, Lunaria, Therian, Bronie.
  • Classes are separated by Race.
  • 10 Classes at start. 2 Male / 2 Female portraits per class.
  • Voices are also introduced. However, similar to previous games, people who want to play without voices can choose to do so. 40 Voices 20 male / 20 female
  • During character creation, hair, eye, skin color all can be edited.
  • Dungeon exploration’s table talk RPG-ness has been enhanced.
  • Exp will be gained from talble talk RPG styled events, where previously it was only either something good / bad would happen to your character(s).
  • The map on the lower screen, as well as the icons and controls have been improved.
  • The sub-classes of Etrian Odyssey III and IV, and the Grimoires of Etrian Odyssey Untold made it so you could make a team with no weak points. This one is being designed so that it’s harder to make a well-rounded team; all the classes have very specific roles, like in the first Etrian Odyssey.
  • In addition to “Character Skills” tied to each class, there are also “Race Skills” tied to each race. By training both skill types, you can enjoy even deeper character development.
  • Addition of "Master and Titles" system.
*Credits to Gematsu

zHwtpwx.png

exhWmpg.png

STATS
  • Earthruns: Highest HP / VIT / LUC, high STR / AGI, low INT / WIS, lowest TP
  • Lunarians: Highest TP / INT, high WIS, middling LUC, low STR, lowest VIT / AGI
  • Therians: Highest STR / AGI, high HP, middling TP / LUC, low VIT, lowest INT / WIS
  • Brownies: Highest WIS, high TP / INT / VIT, middling HP/AGI, lowest STR / LUC
*Credits to Nachos

vRxzCgd.png

*Click on a Class Picture to watch their introduction video.

3EkcBY0.png

Earthruns
  • Fencer: Generally well-rounded physical attackers who can either specialize in chains (attacks that follow up those of other party members), or drawing enemy attacks while deftly evading them.
  • Dragoon: Musket-toting stalwarts who can specialize in ironclad defense or devastating artillery.
  • Cestus: Dexterous brawlers who can specialize in disabling attacks or their ability to go straight for the kill.
  • Reaper: Plague casters who can specialize in spreading misama or in defending the party from it.

Lunarians
  • Warlock: Powerful mages able to specialize in the core three magical elements or extend the breadth of their casting to include physical attacks, as well.
  • Necromancer: Versatile summoners whose ghosts are able to cover any situation. They can specialize in destroying these ghosts for stronger magic or in stockpiling them for stronger physical attacks.

Therians
  • Masurao: Blademasters so adept in their craft that they can specialize in using one sword or in four.
  • Hound: Hunters who summon beasts to their sides. They can specialize in falconry or in using hunting dogs.

Bronies
  • Herbalist: Apothecaries with expert knowledge of the labyrinth's flora. Though they can all use both healing and debilitating herbs to some degree, they can further specialize in either medicine or poisonous smoke.
  • Shaman: Spiritual masters who can supply the party with a host of support magic. They can specialize this magic either to improve the potency of the magical elements or to improve the party's health and resistance to ailments.

This time, an individual party member's skills are broken into three pages: racial skills, basic class skills, and advanced class skills. The last-mentioned come from the member's secondary title: the replacement for the sub-classing system from III and IV. However, be aware that for the first time in the series, a party member's initial stats are tied to their race, instead of the class itself. In effect, this seems to make the skills matter more than the stats. But there is one exception: secondary titles give stat bonuses specific to that title, making specialization easier.

After completing the second stratum, any party member will be able to assume a secondary title, provided they have reached level 20.
*Credits to Nachos

CjzqXIu.png

EUYHNhY.png

August 4th
  • New Adventurer 1 (300 yen) – Choose a “School Uniformed Boy” during character creation.
  • New Adventurer 2 (300 yen) – Choose a “Sailor Uniformed Girl” during character creation.
  • New Adventurer 3 (300 yen) – Choose a “Sweater Wearing Girl” during character creation.
  • New Adventurer 4 (300 yen) – Choose an Etrian Odyssey 1 Paladin New Illustration” during character creation.
  • New Adventurer 5 (300 yen) – Choose an Etrian Odyssey 1 Medic New Illustration” during character creation.
  • Adventurer Training Plan (300 yen) – Take on the “Adventurer Training Plan” quest at the bar. (On top of the fact that you get a lot of experience points for clearing the quest, you can also obtain an accessory that multiplies your acquired experience by three.)
  • Adventurer Good Luck Plan (300 yen) – Take on the “Adventurer Good Luck Plan” quest at the bar. (On top of the fact that you’ll get a lot of en for clearing the quest, you can also obtain an accessory that makes the availability rate of materials without drop conditions of enemies 100 percent.)
September 1st
  • FM Sound Source Addition (800 yen) – Adds a Frequency Modulation Sound Source version as a BGM option, which can be switched from in the options menu.
To Be Announced
  • New Adventurer 6 – Contents, release date, and price to be announced.
*Credits to Gematsu

oOOnAHG.png

#0:
Q: When is this getting localized for the West?
A: No official word yet from Atlus unfortunately.

#1:
Q: Is this getting localized?
A: While nothing official has been announced yet, seeing how all the other games have been localized including the Mystery Dungeon spin-off, there is no reason to believe this one will not be localized also.

#2:
Q: I'm new to the Etrian Odyssey series, would I still enjoy the game?
A: Sure! As with all the other games, they have no connection to each other story wise, therefore you can jump in with any of the titles and enjoy the dungeon crawling!

#3:
Q: Should I import this game?
A: Unfortunately 3DS games are region locked, so unless you have a Japanese 3DS / New 3DS would not suggest trying to import. *Do not remember if it works on Asia region 3DSes.

#4:
Q: How hard are these games?
A: It depends if you are used to dungeon crawlers or not? If you are unfamiliar with the genre will take a little getting used to, but since its fairly straight forward turn based combat should not be an issue or stress you out at all! There are strong monsters that wander the dungeons and are not meant to be fought after you level a bit, so initially avoiding them is the best plan as a new player.

#5:
Q: I've hear the term "F.O.E." a lot? What does that mean?
A: Formido Oppugnatura Exsequens - Basically a monster that will stomp you if you try to fight it upon first contact. They will be represented on the map by a visible graphic which usually appears like a giant fireball on the map / In the more modern titles such as this one they have an actual graphical representation of the F.O.E.s so it should be pretty obvious when you see one. It changes color also depending if it is alerted to your presence. Defeating them net good exp and rare items. They will respawn after a set amount of time has passed if defeated.

If you still do not understand watch this ever helpful and educationalvideo.

EghYmBr.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
Amazon Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above.

WRee3PH.png

For those who are new / have questions about the Etrian Odyssey series, stop by the Community thread that is always happy to help new adventurers! Lots of good information on all of the games released in the series, including the Mystery Dungeon spin-off title.

iyUuBPF.png

Thanks goes out to Atlus for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
Thanks goes out to Gematsu for the various information used in this OT.
Thanks to the dafont website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use.
Thanks goes out to Nachos for various information credited within this OT.

Aeana

Mine's coming soon, although I may not have time to play it right away. I want to play with the FM music DLC anyway.

Parakeetman

Nice OT as per usual, Parakeetman.

Can't wait to see impressions.

Thanks!

Not sure when mine is supposed to arrive. As the local store I was friendly with closed down, so the owner is having one of his other stores ship to me, though its in a totally different region so might be delayed a day possibly...

Mine's coming soon, although I may not have time to play it right away. I want to play with the FM music DLC anyway.

Yeah am looking forward to the FM music DLC most def. With how expensive the LEs are its too bad they didnt include it already on game with those lol

Now the wait for Europe begins.

Looking forward to hearing impressions. Going to just browse casually and hopefully people will also agree that Eyepatch Dragoon is the new queen.

Hubb

Great OT.

Sad that the classes are race-locked (already knew that), and sadder still that Brownies have all the healing classes.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nice coincidence, my copy of Untold 2 arrived today.
I haven't even started Untold 1.
I'll probably buy the Western EOV before starting either of them.

kagamin

Maaaaaan, well that's fine I can wait, I still might cave in and buy it... having no DLC is a bit of a deal breaker if I get the JP version.

Nice coincidence, my copy of Untold 2 arrived today.
I haven't even started Untold 1.
I'll probably buy the Western EOV before starting either of them.

Don't worry.
I'm still playing through EO3 whenever I grab my DS and Untold 2 is unplayed still, I'll probably do the same.

Hoping that FM soundtrack is worth buying it as DLC, though I may just wait for the FM soundtrack release and just get that instead.

Eolz

Looking forward to hear about impressions here, I love this series, despite not being super good at it.
Can't wait for it to be released in the west. Excellent OT too!

Parakeetman

Great OT.

Sad that the classes are race-locked (already knew that), and sadder still that Brownies have all the healing classes.

Looking forward to hear about impressions here, I love this series, despite not being super good at it.
Can't wait for it to be released in the west. Excellent OT too!

Thanks!

Another tioic to keep track of for the eventual American release.

Do we hqve a list of VAs?

Players can choose from the following voice actors for their character: Shouta Aoi, Satomi Arai, Akira Ishida, Toru Okawa, Ayaka Ohashi, Yoshihisa Kawahara, Misaki Kuno, Mitsuki Saiga, Takuya Satou, Asami Seto, Atsuko Tanaka, Kosuke Toriumi, Joji Nakata, Kaori Nazuka, Natsuki Hanae, Saori Hayami, Megumi Han, Yoko Hikasa, Rina Hidaka, Yui Horie, Ayumu Murase, and Tsubasa Yonaga.
*Credits to Gematsu

Great OT.

Do we even need a dedicated healer? EO has been moving away from just dedicated healers for a bit, now.

Parakeetman

Do we even need a dedicated healer? EO has been moving away from just dedicated healers for a bit, now.

From what I played with the demo on what was I guess the harder? difficulty, forgot what it was called. Yeah having a dedicated healer is kinda important at the start anyways. Plus its nice too that the healing ability the herbalist has does not use too much TP.

Though as usual do reckon you could manage without one by being creative / having a specialized character after gaining a bunch of levels. From the get go though there is no one else more efficient at healing than the herbalist.

From what I played with the demo on what was I guess the harder? difficulty, forgot what it was called. Yeah having a dedicated healer is kinda important at the start anyways. Plus its nice too that the healing ability the herbalist has does not use too much TP.

Though as usual do reckon you could manage without one by being creative / having a specialized character after gaining a bunch of levels. From the get go though there is no one else more efficient at healing than the herbalist.

Apparently Necro and Hound can heal, which is just perfect.

I'd rather avoid confusing people with stepping stools. :^)

Parakeetman

Apparently Necro and Hound can heal, which is just perfect.

I'd rather avoid confusing people with stepping stools. :^)

Necro needs to get those spirits up before they can use the healing ability so you use kinda a lot of TP. D: Think that particular healing ability was for all party members too.

The Hound heals at the end of each round if you have point(s) in a pet related skill. At least that one is a passive so once invested outside of the initial cost of summoning the pet you do not spent TP. Though the initial value is pretty low at lv 1.

The Shaman "sort of" has a healing ability where all characters effected by cast buff recover HP. That is also pretty low at lv 1. But still nice for patching up scratches.

Brakke

Banned
I love that damn FOE video thanks for the excuse to watch it again.

I've played all of these games (plus Persona Q). I've really enjoyed all of them, but I must confess I've never beaten one. They're all just a bit too long to hold my interest. Will pick this up if it gets localized tho.

Necro needs to get those spirits up before they can use the healing ability so you use kinda a lot of TP. D: Think that particular healing ability was for all party members too.

The Hound heals at the end of each round if you have point(s) in a pet related skill. At least that one is a passive so once invested outside of the initial cost of summoning the pet you do not spent TP. Though the initial value is pretty low at lv 1.

The Shaman "sort of" has a healing ability where all characters effected by cast buff recover HP. That is also pretty low at lv 1. But still nice for patching up scratches.

Well the idea is to not use a Brownie. I thought I heard you could still use some portraits per classes regardless of the race, but I don't know how true that is, either.

zashga

Cool, didn't know this was coming out so soon in Japan. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for a localization announcement, though it wouldn't surprise me if we're made to wait til next year.

Looking forward to checking out the soundtrack in the meantime.

Rutger

Banned
I want it. :eek:

I will miss subclassing, but I'm interested in seeing the differences the titles add. I also hope that some classes work well with another's stats, so we can take advantage of class changing with different race skills. I don't think I need to worry about customization regressing with these additions.

But I gotta wait. D:

Parakeetman

Well the idea is to not use a Brownie. I thought I heard you could still use some portraits per classes regardless of the race, but I don't know how true that is, either.

Yeah am not too sure on that. Since during character creation on the demo the class selection was locked to the selected race.

---

Just realized I have 2 of the same questions in the FAQ. But will just leave it as is lol.

Great OT.

The classes aren't actually race locked, you can exchange 5 levels to class change into any class regardless of your character's race. Your stat growths and race specific skills won't change though.

Kyuur

The classes aren't actually race locked, you can exchange 5 levels to class change into any class regardless of your character's race. Your stat growths and race specific skills won't change though.

No class specific portraits for those races though. :(

You can use the race portraits rather than class specific portraits, but not other races portraits that I know. You can also reclass to something not available to that race on creation later on, so you could probably run Lunaria healers fairly easily(and since they have pretty magic heavy stats, you wouldn't notice a large difference in power).

It seems you'll be able to use say 2 secondary healers instead of a medic though, which is fairly typical in more recent EOs.

Hound has a bunch of heals in hound spec, not just the autoheal at the end of the turn, they also have a targetted heal and a randomly targetted multiple hit heal, as well as a protect heal(the hound will take damage instead of the target, then heal the target at the end of the turn). Passive to increase healing and TP too, so they should make decent supports.

Necro isn't really a full healer, they just have an aoe heal by blowing up their ghosts, sort of an emergency heal. They also have an aoe rez in their debuffing spec.

Similarily, Reaper has one aoe heal in case of emergency(remove miasma from their weapon to heal and cure ailments). It's in their support spec, which also provides a bunch of damage reduction via buff/debuffs.

Then you have Shaman, which is a bronie class, they have a bunch of healing in their support spec, they heal when they cast buffs, heal at the end of turn if people are buffed, heal people based on the damage they do, heal when walking around, heal when people are taking damage and can increase max hp. They're a bit similar to Sovereign/Princess, they do a lot of constant small aoe healing, also comes with a bunch of buffs.

And finally obviously medic, which have the typical heals, and can be speced into smoke while still being decent healers which is pretty cool, feels a bit like EO4 arcanist with ailments+heals.

If I had to guess, I'd say you can run a medic as a solo healer or a support hound/shaman with a secondary support like necro/reaper or good debuffs(bind cestus can probably mitigate a lot of damage for example). Wether or not that'll hold up in post game that's a different story but it's too early to tell.

It's beautiful...so, so beautiful...

The sub-classes of Etrian Odyssey III and IV, and the Grimoires of Etrian Odyssey Untold made it so you could make a team with no weak points. This one is being designed so that it’s harder to make a well-rounded team; all the classes have very specific roles, like in the first Etrian Odyssey.

4 could use some tweaking to be just fine, but this is music to my ears (and Stranger has such a wonderful take on re/sub-classing that it's kinda spoiled me).

Hubb

You can use the race portraits rather than class specific portraits, but not other races portraits that I know. You can also reclass to something not available to that race on creation later on, so you could probably run Lunaria healers fairly easily(and since they have pretty magic heavy stats, you wouldn't notice a large difference in power).

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably try running a Lunaria healer, do you have any idea how far into the game reclassing is? 10 hours, 20 or more of a NG+ thing?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Although I didn't like my time with the demo that much (creating characters took forever and since this was my first EO game, I don't even know if I did it right), I promised myself that I'll give the next proper EO game a serious try, so I'll probably get this one.
Since I loved Persona Q, I think that I should enjoy this one as well in the end.

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably try running a Lunaria healer, do you have any idea how far into the game reclassing is? 10 hours, 20 or more of a NG+ thing?

I don't know as I haven't played the game so someone can confirm, but in EOU2, you could reclass at lvl 1, so it had no penalties(since losing half your levels is still lvl 1). Retiring is usually the one that requires a certain level before it can be done at all. In EOU1, reclassing was tied to retiring, so it needed 30.

If it's 30, you could probably either run a bronie healer that you'll dump once you reach 30 and replace by a fresh lvl 1 to replace whoever you're reclassing(will need a bit of grinding but nothing too big), or you could run a hound until then since early game healing tends to be easy enough.

NolbertoS

Any word or date for hte Western release?? I assume that their will be an LE coming out too. Need more Etrian Odyssey goodness. Haven't played this series since EO3

Any word or date for hte Western release?? I assume that their will be an LE coming out too. Need more Etrian Odyssey goodness. Haven't played this series since EO3

It's in the OP, no news yet. I think they never talk about western release until after the game is released in japan. Doesn't mean they're not already working on it though.

Nachos

It's in the OP, no news yet. I think they never talk about western release until after the game is released in japan. Doesn't mean they're not already working on it though.
It all depends on Atlus' scheduling. Etrian Mystery Dungeon leaked via Western outlets before it was announced anywhere, and its American release was only a month after the Japanese one. That said, they're still working on Persona 5, Yakuza Zero, and a bunch of other stuff I'm likely forgetting. I'm not expecting it until after P5 comes out.

Do have to wonder if it'll get the same collector's edition, though. I don't think the series is popular enough to warrant even a limited print run of hardcover art books.

Great work~

Now to avoid this thread while I wait for it to come to Europe. Eventually. Maybe.

Yep kinda same, other than I probably won't bother avoiding the thread, if there's any story things I'm sure people will spoiler, and I'm interested to hear about how the various classes perform to figure out what my team will be.

I have a bunch of different ideas for team setups but not sure how available items that change elements/weapons with different elements will be, if it's viable to run a low elemental team or if it's kinda necessary to run a warlock/damage shaman to cover your bases.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question to people who have experience with the series.
Like I stated before, this will be my first real attempt at an EO game and the only similar games I've played so far were Persona Q (finished) and Etrian Mystery Dungeon (a few hours).

So far I've read the opn in the community thread, the IGN starter guide for EO IV, and essential tips for EOIV from Destructoid.
Is there anything else I should look into before playing the game?

Already made my characters in the demo and I can post them here later for some advice, but I think that part should be okay, because I tried striking a good tank/dps/healer balance.

Top Bottom