• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xun

I don't understand why Nintendo think they can get away with having no third party support ?

Nintenfags are always saying "but we don't need great graphics " !

But you actually do because shit tier hardware will cause third party devs to boycott the console.

Similar specs allows developpers to easily port their game.

But they're not going to bother downgrading their games to death so they can run on the NX.

So you won't be seeing Watch Dogs 2 or Call Of Duty on NX and we're gonna see another Wii U situation
How fucking childish.

Grow up.

So we are back to compare a dedicated handheld to a tablet?

No one uses an iPad for dedicated gaming...hell for sure my 6s has a nice resolution...yet when I play Pokemon on my 6s (app open at all times) and I can basically "play" like 3 hours until my battery says "got any more of those powerbanks?" soooo if NX can showoff Zelda at 540p with a battery life of 5-6 hours it would be glorious in my eyes...

KAL2006

Banned
This should be their lineup

Launch
Zelda BotW
New IP with gimmick (do stuff in touchscreen mode, do stuff on docked mode)
Mario Maker 2 (has an 3D World editor as well as the 2D from the original, old levels from MM1 are available)

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4
Pokemon Eclipse (Enhanced port of Sun and Moon)
Mario NX (New 3D Galaxy/64 successor)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Launch
Zelda BotW
Mario Maker 2 (has an 3D World editor as well as the 2D from the original, old levels from MM1 are available)

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4

No way Mario Maker 2 will be at launch - it will get a port with a bit extra but now real sequel that quick. Same for Splatoon 2.

We know Smash Bros. GotY will be a launch/near launch release already. And no they arent releasing their biggest games in like 3 months from launching the system. You do realize that they will also wanna push and sell 3rd party content ?

New mainline Mario for Holiday 2017 is a solid guess though.

AniHawk

Launch
Zelda BotW

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4

also toss in super smash bros. for nx in there with all the dlc and modes from both 3ds and wii u included. if splatoon is there, it'll be the first game with the dlc too. i think we'll see animal crossing next year and some cross-play somehow with the mobile game.

monster hunter 5 is probably holiday in japan next year. monster hunter stories could potentially make it out in the us though.

oti

Banned
If the rumors are true then it's very likely that NX will be selling even worse than the Wii U. The handheld market has been almost entirely taken over by smartphones and hardware like Nvidia Shield (which seems to be the closest to the NX's concept) won't sell in the millions.

If you really think this you are basically saying that the Japanese video game market will be pretty much dead.

I don't know about this concept myself though. I go from "hey this sounds cool" to "hey this could be bad" every now and then. This approach is new and Nintendo has to solve several problems on one go. That's a tough challenge.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why Nintendo think they can get away with having no third party support ?

Nintenfags are always saying "but we don't need great graphics " !

But you actually do because shit tier hardware will cause third party devs to boycott the console.

Similar specs allows developpers to easily port their game.

But they're not going to bother downgrading their games to death so they can run on the NX.

So you won't be seeing Watch Dogs 2 or Call Of Duty on NX and we're gonna see another Wii U situation

GameFAQs is that-away, buddy.

GenericUser

Launch
Zelda BotW

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4

I think the games are not the problem. For me, what we speculate now (hybrid), is a totally unattractive system that I don't care about per se.

I know there are a lot of gamers out there who do care about these games. I just doubt that they a numerous enough to fund the development and upkeep of a whole platform.

The silver lining is that for handheld, this would actually be a significant leap in power.

On the other hand, for home console it will be like going from GCN to Wii (if GCN was already a gen behind). Let that sink in for a while.

This. I'm very curious how this is going to work as I'm not sure the hybrid thing is something I want. If the "main" thing powering the console part when playing on a big TV still is a portable component with the obvious limitations that presents compared to full console components (even moderately powered Nintendo ones like the Wii U, which I own), and console levels of memory, then I'm not sure I'll care about this thing as anything more than a handheld even if it's designed for double duty.

Unless there's an actual console NX too, since while I use both my Vita and 3DS I mainly play at home.

Aters

Launch
Zelda BotW

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4

Throw in DQXI somewhere in Q2 or Q3.

AmyS

540p with at least 10 times the performance of Vita's PowerVR SGX543MP4+

Nvidia Shield Tablet which uses last-gen Tegra K1 vs PS Vita:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/763518/nvidia-shield-tablet-vs-playstation-vita/

Shield tablet is WAY beyond PS Vita when it comes to CPU and GPU performance. The PS Vita uses a quad-core Cortex A9 CPU @ up to 2GHz (with only three CPU cores available for gaming IIRC), while Shield tablet uses a quad-core Cortex A15 CPU (R3 variant) @ up to 2.2GHz. So the CPU in Shield tablet is more than 2x faster in comparison. The difference in GPU performance is even greater. The PS Vita uses a PowerVR SGX543MP4+ (which is similar in design and performance to the iPad 3 GPU), while Shield tablet uses a completely modern mobile Kepler GPU (with 192 CUDA cores) running at a much higher GPU clock operating frequency too. So the GPU in Shield tablet is more than 8x faster (!) in comparison (looking at GFXBench 3.0 T-Rex 1080p Offscreen benchmark data). And since mobile Kepler is a much more modern GPU, it has much more advanced API support too (OpenGL 4.4, DirectX 12, etc).

And that's Tegra K1.

Tegra X1 is 1.5x to 2x faster than K1 The NX is using X1 at worst.

X1 does 512 GFlops, but lets think about 1/2 that performance while on the go, sipping battery power. 256 GFlops. Still around 10x more powerful than Vita GPU. -- Not taking into consideration Nintendo getting a custom X1, nevermind X2.

Then we add something that almost a given, Vulkan, or some custom version of that API Nintendo is almost certain to use. Coding to the metal. Nintendo is going to get so much out of this handheld. I just want to know the console side of things won't get snubbed.

dh4niel

Launch
Zelda BotW

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4

3 games at launch? The thing would be dead on arrival.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
540p with at least 10 times the performance of Vita's PowerVR SGX543MP4+

Nvidia Shield Tablet which uses last-gen Tegra K1 vs PS Vita:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/763518/nvidia-shield-tablet-vs-playstation-vita/

And that's Tegra K1.

Tegra X1 is 1.5x to 2x faster than K1

NX is using X1 at worst.

X1 does 512 GFlops, but lets think about 1/2 that performance while on the go, sipping battery power. 256 GFlops. Still around 10x more powerful than Vita GPU. -- Not taking into consideration Nintendo getting a custom X1, nevermind X2.

Yes, it will be a beast of a handheld. Can't wait.

That stuff no longer exists in the handheld arena. My friends' kids get together with tablets/smartphones and just connect to each other over the internet and play whatever. This is the kind of idea nobody really needs. It can already be done without the NX, it provides absolutely zero added value.

I dont know any games that implement those ideas.

freefornow

Gold Member
Havent read full thread (these sorts tend to move real fast), but is there any thought that Nintendo may sell this NX as separate components?

Eg: Handheld (including detachable controllers) $199
NX HD Home dock $99
Gamer can then choose if they want to stick with handheld only. Or add the dock at a later date. Or buy the bundle -Handheld + Dock $269

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Havent read full thread (these sorts tend to move real fast), but is there any thought that Nintendo may sell this NX as separate components?

NX HD Home dock $99
Gamer can then choose if they want to stick with handheld only. Or add the dock at a later date. Or buy the bundle -Handheld + Dock $269

That would make the most sense, yes. But we'll see. Nintendo doesn't always take the best decisions.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looking at how badly the Shield and the PSTV/VitaTV have done on the market, isn't this gimmick pretty...dangerous?
Hopefully they will actually present it also as a proper home, thanks to the Supplemental Computing device...otherwise...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looking at how badly the Shield and the PSTV/VitaTV have done on the market, isn't this gimmick pretty...dangerous?
Hopefully they will actually present it also as a proper home, thanks to the Supplemental Computing device...otherwise...

I don't think that patent was filed on accident. It lines up really well with these rumours. It'll probably come later, but I'm sure it's gonna be a thing.

Is there still no answer for whether or not Wii-U and/or 3DS will be playable on the NX?

Literally says "no BC" in the thread title dude :p. As in no backwards compatibility

psyfi

Banned
To be fair, I don't think many average people have even heard of those products. I never heard of the Shield TV until today.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Both those devices didn't have an important part for a dedicated gaming device: games. NX will have all the output of Nintendo on it. If that's enough or not, the market will decide, but if it's not I'm afraid no device would ever sell well for Nintendo.

Plus, the main role of NX is still to be a handheld.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't think that patent was filed on accident. It lines up really well with these rumours. It'll probably come later, but I'm sure it's gonna be a thing.

Literally says "no BC" in the thread title dude :p. As in no backwards compatibility

I absolutely hope so. that would mean, to me, a new approach to the home segment, not the exti from that segment that THIS seems to be

To be fair, I don't think many average people have even heard of those products. I never heard of the Shield TV until today.

There surely are also "pr" and marketing issues, but the gimmick itself hasn't been proven positive for the mass market yet. I'm not saying it will fail as hard as those, I still think that it being also/primarly a "normal" portable, with probably many Nintendo and thirdy party Japanese games, will contribute positively, but still...

gtj1092

If you really think this you are basically saying that the Japanese video game market will be pretty much dead.

I don't know about this concept myself though. I go from "hey this sounds cool" to "hey this could be bad" every now and then. This approach is new and Nintendo has to solve several problems on one go. That's a tough challenge.

While this won't sell worse than the Wii U, the Japanese market does seem to be heading towards niche status.

random25

There's quite a difference here. If the reports are true, then NX is a standalone handheld that you can plug into your TV with some hardware tweaks to play the same kind of games. PSTV is a derivative product from the Vita, where it is a separate "home console" version of an already existing handheld. And Shield is a different concept as well.

kmag

I'm not sure games will really use the touchscreen. I imagine the device will have one but I don't see how you could use it when it's docked without some sort of miracast setup with the dock (which btw they should totally do) but even then you've the issue of not being able to possibly upclock the device without it being attached to external power.

oti

Banned

Launch
Zelda BotW

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4

That's a weak launch line up yo. 5 games at least or bust.

While this won't sell worse than the Wii U, the Japanese market does seem to be heading towards niche status.

Seeing how PS4 is is fairing in Japan this move makes sense to Nintendo. I don't know about the rest of the world though. And if they can harness some of the huge Japanese mobile market (big if) they could make a lot of money.

These are just Nintendo exclusives, of course there would be more than 3 games.

With being a last gen console on cracking, it would be already too weak for multiplatform developements.

If the rumors are true then Nintendo pulled again a hardware which moves outside of multiplatform and many indie (Unreal engine support?) developments.
We also know that basically all large and medium IPs are announced for the Playstation, so Japan isn't saving the day either.

Mr Swine

Banned
Think Rockstar might port GTAV to NX if it's more powerful than the last generation consoles? I would triple dip to get that game on a handheld!

Iced Arcade

I live in the US. Specifically, Georgia.

I have a niece who loves playing with smartphones. She loves playing games, watching Youtube, and especially taking pictures and looking at pictures that other people have taken of her (and they have to be of her; she's a bit narcissistic).

But she's only turning 5 next month, so she's too young to have her own phone.

As my sister and brother-in-law aren't particularly big tablet people, they don't own a tablet, much less have an extra tablet lying around to give to her.

So if the NX came around and could do the stuff that she cares about (playing games, watching Youtube when on Wifi, taking pictures), and it was priced reasonably, I could see them getting her one for her birthday or Christmas or something.

I'm not saying it's going to sell better than the iPad, just that this is a market that they could potentially capitalize on.
I have a niece and nephew that love the same stuff and the same age... I bought them an ipod touch each last year. which is a cheaper solution and has all those things you mentioned and then some.

With being a last gen console on cracking, it would be already too weak for multiplatform developements.

If the rumors are true then Nintendo pulled again a hardware which moves outside of multiplatform and many indie (Unreal engine support?) developments.
We also know that basically all large and medium IPs are announced for the Playstation, so Japan isn't saving the day either.

Still, it doens't matter.

Best selling 3DS titles are either first party or exclusives (bought or published/developed by Nintendo).

They basically don't need anyone other than Nintendo (and Capcom for MH).

Taker666

NX HD Home dock $99

4 SKU's is the way to go-

Handheld only.
Home dock add-on.
Handheld and dock bundle.
Standalone TV only device (for those who don't want the handheld)

...either that or just a handheld and a home console using similar tech (that would be far simpler for the market than the hybrid stuff).

As someone who is now only interested in gaming on the television ,I'd be completely put off at being forced to pay extra for the handheld tech...just so I could play on the tv. The handheld would be a useless paperweight for me.

At least with the Wii U the second screen was of use during home console gaming...the handheld in this appears to be useless when you're playing on the TV.

Guerrilla

NX HD Home dock $99

Is 200$ feasible for just the handheld unit? I have literally no idea how much the used components would cost in manufacturing

oti

Banned
4 SKU's is the way to go-

Handheld only.
Home dock add-on.
Handheld and dock bundle.
Standalone TV only device (for those who don't want the handheld)

As someone who is now only interested in gaming on the television ,I'd be completely put off at being forced to pay extra for the handheld tech...just so I could play on the tv. The handheld would be a useless paperweight for me.

At least with the Wii U the second screen was of use during home console gaming...the handheld in this appears to be useless when you're playing on the TV.

That would mean the dock will have to be just as powerful as the handheld though.

Or is the TV device not the dock and instead another device? This is getting confusing. 😄

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There's quite a difference here. If the reports are true, then NX is a standalone handheld that you can plug into your TV with some hardware tweaks to play the same kind of games. PSTV is a derivative product from the Vita, where it is a separate "home console" version of an already existing handheld. And Shield is a different concept as well.

Yes, but which is the marketing key here? I still hardly see it.
the more I look at it, the more it seems just a new portable, different from the 3DS as the DS was different from the GBA, but probably the detachable controllers are the gimmick, because an HDMI cabl cant' be it...
especially because if you present just this, it will cast dark shadows on the proper home segment, not incouraging people in trusting Nintendo, but quite the opposite

Without the SCD I am VERY sceptical about this product. At best.

Asd202

Is 200$ feasible for just the handheld unit? I have literally no idea how much the used components would cost in manufacturing

They aren't Nvidia shield which is using same type of processor is $199 and Nintendo already stated it won't be sold at a loss.

R00bot

Think Rockstar might port GTAV to NX if it's more powerful than the last generation consoles? I would triple dip to get that game on a handheld!

I wish, but I think Rockstar might be done with GTA V. If we're lucky we *might* get a cheap port from an out of house studio.

Guerrilla

So it's some kind of hybrid like I suggested 3 years ago?

Oh great but since this is the 5-millionth post of people claiming they knew it all along...

3qvkf76.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They aren't Nvidia shield which is using same type of processor is $199 and Nintendo already stated it won't be sold at a loss.

Like Nvidia doesn't like margins at all on their retail products and the Shield is sold at cost. Plus the Shield production is really low, so that drives up the costs. I'm pretty sure Nintendo can manage to sell the handheld only at $199.

AzaK

Launch
Zelda BotW

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4

That's Wii U level incompetence if that's their software for a year.

Still, it doens't matter.

Best selling 3DS titles are either first party or exclusives (bought or published/developed by Nintendo).

They basically don't need anyone other than Nintendo (and Capcom for MH).

There is a reason why Nintendo doesn't make a straight 3DS successor. The market for dedicated handhelds is such a broken mess for years now that Nintendo needs everything they can get for the NX.

Jimrpg

Oh cool, Vita is 540p? That's totally adequate.

Well yeah, it needs to be at least retina quality which is 200ppi which on a 5" screen should be like a Vita.

But I think going up to an iphone 6 quality 300ppi+ 1280x720p would be much better. If an iphone 6 can do it (2 year old hardware), no reason why Nintendo can't. You'd expect the iphone 6 chip to be put into the latest ipod touch which is always a generation behind and those things are $200.

Seems pretty crazy not to have BC with at least 3DS with Sun and Moon coming out at the end of this year. Unless Game Freak put out a rerelease for it next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom