• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

This should be their lineup

Launch
Zelda BotW
New IP with gimmick (do stuff in touchscreen mode, do stuff on docked mode)
Mario Maker 2 (has an 3D World editor as well as the 2D from the original, old levels from MM1 are available)

Q2
Pikmin 4
Retro New IP

Q3
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter V

Q4
Pokemon Eclipse (Enhanced port of Sun and Moon)
Mario NX (New 3D Galaxy/64 successor)

Let's have a lineup that looks like Wii U ports, because Wii U was so successful.

Oh great but since this is the 5-millionth post of people claiming they knew it all along...

3qvkf76.gif

I didn't know for sure but it seemed the only other avenue available for them to go. Check my post history if you want to get all detective. I've stated it for years.

Asd202

Like Nvidia doesn't like margins at all on their retail products and the Shield is sold at cost. Plus the Shield production is really low, so that drives up the costs. I'm pretty sure Nintendo can manage to sell the handheld only at $199.

I really don't see it the cost of the processor is one thing there's still the docking unit, charger and the whole detachable controller + higher quality screen and maybe gyro. 3DS is being sold at 199$ right now. I'm thinking $249 maybe $300 even.

That would mean the dock will have to be just as powerful as the handheld though.

Or is the TV device not the dock and instead another device? This is getting confusing. ��

For the full handheld and console version, the dock will probably be a fairly dumb device that just has the outputs to the TV.
If they do one that only works with a TV, it'd basically be a device that has all of the internals from the handheld but would cost a bit less because they wouldn't need a screen or batteries.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really don't see it the cost of the processor is one thing there's still the docking unit, charger and the whole detachable controller + higher quality screen and maybe gyro. 3DS is being sold at 199$ right now. I'm thinking $249 maybe $300 even.

That's why I said the handheld only. I don't expect an expensive screen. The dock and the rest will add probably $99 separate and $69-$79 bundled.

Speaking of, how big is the 2ds screen (under the plastic)?

I didn't know for sure but it seemed the only other avenue available for them to go. Check my post history if you want to get all detective. I've stated it for years.

You and everybody else, expect the few people that trusted the old Iwata report and refused to believe it was a handheld at all.

random25

Yes, but which is the marketing key here? I still hardly see it.
the more I look at it, the more it seems just a new portable, different from the 3DS as the DS was different from the GBA, but probably the detachable controllers are the gimmick, because an HDMI cabl cant' be it...
especially because if you present just this, it will cast dark shadows on the proper home segment, not incouraging people in trusting Nintendo, but quite the opposite

Without the SCD I am VERY sceptical about this product. At best.

Everything still is a speculation, so we'll have to see how Nintendo will market this one. Regardless of its "gimmick features" it still looks to be an iterative to their handheld anyway, so it is a separate thing from PSTV or Shield.

oti

Banned
I hope Nintendo knows they have to encourage people to take this thing with them even if they already have a phone in their pocket all the time. Use StreetPass coins and make them valuable. Make them a global currency with which you can buy stuff in games (IAP). Encourage people meeting up with new StreetPass features. Look at what Pokémon GO does and translate it into your platform.

Asd202

That's why I said the handheld only. I don't expect an expensive screen. The dock and the rest will add probably $99 separate and $69-$79 bundled.

Speaking of, how big is the 2ds screen (under the plastic)?

Screen will need to be bigger and more expensive because of much higer resolution.

Let's have a lineup that looks like Wii U ports, because Wii U was so successful.

The Wii U may not have been, but those games were. If the concept of the NX proves to be more attractive than the Wii U, then it makes sense to build on the popularity of those games to a potentially larger audience.

psyfi

Banned
I have a niece and nephew that love the same stuff and the same age... I bought them an ipod touch each last year. which is a cheaper solution and has all those things you mentioned and then some.
Let's not forget the selling point of full blown Nintendo games here.

N.Grim

Well yeah, it needs to be at least retina quality which is 200ppi which on a 5" screen should be like a Vita.

But I think going up to an iphone 6 quality 300ppi+ 1280x720p would be much better. If an iphone 6 can do it (2 year old hardware), no reason why Nintendo can't. You'd expect the iphone 6 chip to be put into the latest ipod touch which is always a generation behind and those things are $200.

I will just quote this post everytime someone says that

You truly have no idea

A iPad main function isn't gaming. If then system where to be 1080p say goodbye to open world games or 60fps ganes. And say hello to shit battery life, and shit frame rates.

540p or 600p is enough for a 6" tablet which is around the same size as Wii U. My Vita is only 540p and native games on the 5" screen looks sharp. The extra pixels would be a waste of processing power.

Taker666

That would mean the dock will have to be just as powerful as the handheld though.

Or is the TV device not the dock and instead another device? This is getting confusing. 😄

It would be a standalone home console that incorporates the combined GPU/CPU of the handheld and dock...for people who just want to game at home without the extra costs of the additional handheld tech.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Screen will need to be bigger and more expensive because of much higer resolution.

I doubt that Nintendo will chose an expensive screen. There are a lot of cheap tablets out there with high resolution screens and actually Nintendo needs one at 540p or 720p.

But let's say the handheld without the dock will be $199-$249 with an X1 GPU. It's not than unreasonable.

aadiboy

I wonder if this will be treated like a handheld and get like 5 different iterations, or just have 1 like a home console. I think I might just wait and see if a New NX comes out a few years after release.

oti

Banned
It would be a standalone home console that incorporates the combined GPU/CPU of the handheld and dock...for people who just want to game at home without the extra costs of the additional handheld tech.

Nintendo GO
Nintendo GO Home

(I made this joke like months ago, OK?)

Sounds like a good compromise for everyone. We'll see if Nintendo decides to go down that route.

What people need to remember about the launch window is it would be combining two different system libraries. Look and the Wii U's launch window and the 3DS's launch window and combine them. That's what we should expect with this.

pottuvoi

Banned
For the full handheld and console version, the dock will probably be a fairly dumb device that just has the outputs to the TV.
This is what I expect.

Simple HDMI/USB box is pretty much all they need.
Perhaps with very simple ARM core and some flash memory, if they go fancy. (background downloads etc.)

Looking at the fact that I have seen PS4 with Uncharted deals for 250€. As console is the 150-250€ price point too high for the dedicated gaming console. And the handheld market is in a pretty bad shape.

There is a reason why Nintendo doesn't make a straight 3DS successor. The market for dedicated handhelds is such a broken mess for years now that Nintendo needs everything they can get for the NX.

True, but I don't think they will have traditional 3rd party support.

Hopefully they've spent some of that cash securing ports and exclusives.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
MCV:
Early online speculation about pricing for the NX expects it to be cheaper than current consoles, but from what we’ve heard it’s going to be cheaper than even the vast majority expect. This is a machine that is targeting the mass market, and Nintendo certainly plans for it to have a mass market price. Price is one Wii U mistake Nintendo is determined not to repeat. This could be NX's single biggest win.

deleted

So can you think of a way to incorporate the scroll-wheels into all of this?

If this thing has that, I'll be willing to look over many other stuff, that might otherwise bother me.

Hostile_18

Banned
Honestly sounds awful to me. Detachable controllers from each side? Good god. No doubt the software will be good but it's like Nintendo keep making the same mistake over and over again.

If only Sony or Microsoft had a competitor to Mario Kart I'd be happy for Nintendo to go and do their own thing each generation! :D

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So can you think of a way to incorporate the scroll-wheels into all of this?

If this thing has that, I'll be willing to look over many other stuff, that might otherwise bother me.

I presume the detachable controllers would have scroll wheel shoulder buttons.

If games like Splatoon and Mario Maker had launched with the Wii U maybe it would have had a chance of living.

You know, there is a question I haven't seen raised yet.

Do you think Nintendo goes with $29.99, $39.99, or $59.99 priced games for their NX. Will NX version of Zelda cost less than Wii U version because it is handheld?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Everything aligns nicely. Add the comments from Ubisoft about how NX will be successful and it's very likely that we will get a cheap NX.

You know, there is a question I haven't seen raised yet.

Do you think Nintendo goes with $29.99, $39.99, or $59.99 priced games for their NX. Will NX version of Zelda cost less than Wii U version because it is handheld?

Probably different prices for different games, like they do now. Zelda on NX will cost the same as Zelda on Wii U, it's the same full fledged game.

This better happen because right now this whole "detachable controllers" sounds like a mess considering you need two analog sticks and a d-pad with abxy.

What's the issue with it being two halves? If it's got all the same inputs as a normal controller, being split just gives you some options for how you hold it.

The more I think about this, the worse the entire idea sounds.

We've seen time and time again that most handheld gamers don't want the same console experiences but portable, they want handheld games. Pick-up-and-play experiences reign supreme and always have. So if the idea of this console is "it's home console games, but portable!" that already sounds like a failure off the bat. So to successfully play to this console's strengths, Nintendo is going to have to somehow build experiences around the fact that this is both a handheld and home console. Which says to me, games like Breath of the Wild, which is an incredibly vast game that pushes the hardware and encourages prolonged, deep exploration, really have less of a place on this console. If anything, two-in-one is inherently limiting, not liberating for developers have some have said.

And of course, if this thing is as powerful as we're talking about, even with all the best decisions, it sounds like an absolute nightmare as far as battery life goes. This is like what, several times the power of the Vita? I don't care how efficient Tegra X1 or X2 can be. Something like Breath of the Wild running on more powerful hardware than the Wii U is not going to get good battery life. Period. Well, unless the thing has a fucking enormous battery, which is going to increase the size, weight, and charge time, thus decreasing the portability of the console.

Which also brings up the fact, this already sounds like it's going to be much too big to be portable. At the very least it's going to be the size of a decent tablet, meaning you'll need a backpack or bag to carry it around, which I sure as fuck don't want. And if you're someone who already carries a tablet or laptop, it's just another thing to carry around.

Finally, this idea of detachable controllers honestly sounds awful. I seriously can't image well-designed, ergonomic controllers with a full set of inputs just popping on and off of this thing. It seems like at best we'll get glorified NES pads with a couple extra inputs, which sounds both uncomfortable and extremely limiting for game design.

I'm just not sure what the hell the purpose of this console is. It sounds like it's trying to be a jack of all trades, but it inherently fails in a lot of key areas necessary for a handheld console, is underpowered for a home console, possibly has a limited number of inputs, and forces developers to develop games as both console games and portable games, meaning the games themselves also won't have the full strengths of either platform. All of this setting aside the fact that I'm not sure who they're trying to sell an even larger, probably even more expensive handheld to when the handheld market has shrunk drastically.

I feel like this thing, at least as described here, is only going to attract some of the Wii U owners and some of the 3DS owners, for a total number of sales somewhere between the two, and likely closer to the Wii U.

diaspora

I mean if they're not able to even approach any level of parity with current platforms with either a handheld out TV based console I'm not sure why they're wasting people's time with this; it's not going to get long term support this way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We've seen time and time again that most handheld gamers don't want the same console experiences but portable, they want handheld games. Pick-up-and-play experiences reign supreme and always have.

This preconception keep popping up here. Do you have any kind of study to back up this?

psyfi

Banned
Honestly sounds awful to me. Detachable controllers from each side? Good god. No doubt the software will be good but it's like Nintendo keep making the same mistake over and over again.
What's so bad about the idea?

What people need to remember about the launch window is it would be combining two different system libraries. Look and the Wii U's launch window and the 3DS's launch window and combine them. That's what we should expect with this.
Not quite. I don't think Nintendo is gonna want to crowd their launch with too many games. They'll want to pace them out, give them each their time to shine. I do expect this to be Nintendo's best launch / post-launch ever, though.

4 SKU's is the way to go-

Handheld only.
Home dock add-on.
Handheld and dock bundle.
Standalone TV only device (for those who don't want the handheld)

When was the last time Nintendo released multiple SKUs for their hardware like that? They're going to force the dock + handheld on everyone throat whether you want it or not. It was the same for the WiiU. Not everyone was the fan of WiiU pad but they're forced to use it anyway.

If you don't want to use the handheld, just keep it permanently attached to the dock and think of them as an underpowered home console.

Seems pretty crazy not to have BC with at least 3DS with Sun and Moon coming out at the end of this year. Unless Game Freak put out a rerelease for it next year

BC with 3DS would most likely push me into buying the NX, even if it doesn't offer the full home console experience that I was looking forward to, but instead a dock hybrid thingy.

I skipped the 3DS and would like to experience some of the gems out there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Everything still is a speculation, so we'll have to see how Nintendo will market this one. Regardless of its "gimmick features" it still looks to be an iterative to their handheld anyway, so it is a separate thing from PSTV or Shield.

what I'm trying to say is that

if there will be no SCD that could actually (to me) transform this thing into a real hybrid with actual "home" features, the "HDMI" feature could even hurt the "PR" and marketing communication aspect of this new product.
The leak states the "Wii U flop" in communication, but as it is, this could really be as bad as the Wii U concept was, in terms of "PR".
If there is no SCD, I'd say that probably it would be better for it to be a normal portable (with those detachable controllers and maybe even the free form factor display)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean if they're not able to even approach any level of parity with current platforms with either a handheld out TV based console I'm not sure why they're wasting people's time with this; it's not going to get long term support this way.

Shocking news: Nintendo device doesn't get long term 3rd party support.

10 times the power of the Vita? I don't care how efficient Tegra X1 or X2 can be. Something like Breath of the Wild running on more powerful hardware than the Wii U is not going to get good battery life.

The vita is more ancient than ancient regarding mobile tech these days. It's like saying the DS can not possibly have a good battery life because the n64 have similar graphics but required a wall outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom