• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every ‘Overwatch 2’ Hero Is Getting A Self-Heal Passive, Including DPS And Tanks

havoc00

Season 9 of Overwatch 2 is set to include major changes to the Competitive ecosystem but beyond that, you can expect other significant gameplay tweaks. Every hero, including damage and tank characters, will have a self-healing passive.

This will be a “tuned-down” version of the self-healing supports have, so supports won’t be entirely useless. The idea is to give DPS and tanks “more options in terms of sustaining themselves,” Overwatch 2 game director Aaron Keller wrote in his latest Director’s Take blog post. “It should also take some of the pressure off Support players to keep everyone alive since individual players now have more control of their own health pool.”

This is one of several measures the developers are looking at to make the game feel better when players aren’t really gelling as a team. When Overwatch players find harmony and play well together, the results can be magical and it can feel pretty great. However, “the reliance on teammates can simultaneously be one of the best and worst attributes of our game,” as Keller rightly puts it.

“We want to improve this by looking at the game through the lens of teamwork, and make it easier for players to be part of the team while also lessening some of the pain when it's not happening,” Keller added. “In fact, a lot of our goals for improving the core game stem from looking at Overwatch as a whole, improving the parts of the game that are working and finding fixes for the parts that negatively affect the experience.”

Wow, they're really doubling down on the dumbing down of a role based hero shooter to just make everyone a dps eventually. How utterly boring. That, 5v5, terrible monetization, and the removal of old maps along with the crappy new ones - what an absolute shit show.

havoc00

this is what happens when you keep catering and catering to the bottom-of-the-barrel players nonstop for years on end. oh no, our tracers and reapers don't know how to beat roadhog. let's nerf his yank-and-shoot combo that was intended to punish bad attackers who don't press their "don't get murdered by roadhog" button. oh no, our players still have no sense of self preservation or teamwork, let's make sure the newer heroes have some way of restoring health to other teammates. oh no, they're still dying and losing and crying, let's keep changing every facet of every character like the goddamned ship of theseus until their playstyle no longer resembles how the character was originally meant to be played. oh no, even with all the changes, our players still suck so hard that even all of the defense/support/tanks who have some form of healing or damage mitigation can't save their teammates from getting rolled over like a jar of bugs at a monster truck rally. i guess we just have to give all heroes passive self-healing.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I loved Overwatch 1 dearly the first few months after it came out. Extremely depressing that a super high-quality game is now completely unavailable forever. Is there any prospect of fan-run servers for the old versions of the game or something, World of Warcraft-style?

Wow, they're really doubling down on the dumbing down of a role based hero shooter to just make everyone a dps eventually.
Yes, and this is a good thing. Too many randoms/pubs don't tank correctly, don't dps correctly, and don't heal correctly.

It got so bad that even at higher ranks you had multiple scenarios where Tanks are DPSing, DPS are tanking, and healers are doing all 3 essentially carrying a team. Now this puts slightly less pressure on healers, who usually are given the most pressure and are always blamed when a DPS doesn't have the healer attached to their hip.

Cyberpunkd

Always found it hilarious how people went DPS to queue 1 hour in the dungeons in WoW when as a healer I was getting in instantly.

I can guarantee you people will still blame healers for everything.
They will, but they now they won't be asking for an immediate healer from spawn when they're the last one alive after a trade battle or wipe. That's one of the issues this change alleviates because a person who managed to live after a battle but can't leave objective needs health and will whine for it, which breaks formation, and that breakage causes more team wipes.

TidusYuna

It is my fault guys, i take the blame on this one. I'm a flanking Moira, a dps Kiriko, a pistol whipping mercy, a map exploring Lucio, a kamikaze martyrdom Ana, a Brig who thinks she is a Rein, A lifeweaver who pockets the tank and never heals the dps, a Baptiste for pharah/echo, and an aggressive Tae Kwon Do booping Zenyatta. My actions have changed everything.

Last edited:
Team games will be a hard sell until they can really incentivize people playing properly.
I agree. I was one of the people who advocated for Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Crazy-CTF to become separate standard modes for both quick play and ranked. However, they kind of half-assed the inclusion for both in OW2 and still didn't fix the balancing and point systems for either Deathmatch mode. I'm still certain that people would have more fun playing either of the 3 if they rewarded the player with ranked points all-year round.

Last edited:

TidusYuna

Your services are no longer required. Genji can fuck off on his own and not contribute to the objective for the entire match on his own now. Please leave your gun and ult at the door.
'
My genji stays. I'm really just as good a Necros and Shadder2k, its just my supports suck.

Sojiro

So now the support players need to bitch they don't have enough health and damage, tank needs to complain they don't do enough damage (fucking lol to that already), and damage needs to bitch they don't have enough health, then we just homogenize all the roles so nothing has any unique identity. Great balancing!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They should make it so all the characters have a passive poison. You lose 1hp every 2 seconds. Call it "combat fatigue" or some ****. Good luck playing without the team Sombra mains!

Shut0wen

This was about to happen, only so many ways they can make healer heros, my guess is they ran out of ideas for healers plus if healing regen isnt as quick as healers then it aint going to make that much of a difference since healing is slow as shit

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Interesting decision. I’m curious what their thought process is to determine this is best for the game.

IMO I hate picking support. always prefer tank or dps , and when I do pick support it’s like… why bother not being Lucio?

MaKTaiL

Genuinely this was the dumbest thing they’ve ever done.
So far..

maxresdefault.jpg

Barakov

Gold Member
Season 9 of Overwatch 2 is set to include major changes to the Competitive ecosystem but beyond that, you can expect other significant gameplay tweaks. Every hero, including damage and tank characters, will have a self-healing passive.

This will be a “tuned-down” version of the self-healing supports have, so supports won’t be entirely useless. The idea is to give DPS and tanks “more options in terms of sustaining themselves,” Overwatch 2 game director Aaron Keller wrote in his latest Director’s Take blog post. “It should also take some of the pressure off Support players to keep everyone alive since individual players now have more control of their own health pool.”

This is one of several measures the developers are looking at to make the game feel better when players aren’t really gelling as a team. When Overwatch players find harmony and play well together, the results can be magical and it can feel pretty great. However, “the reliance on teammates can simultaneously be one of the best and worst attributes of our game,” as Keller rightly puts it.

“We want to improve this by looking at the game through the lens of teamwork, and make it easier for players to be part of the team while also lessening some of the pain when it's not happening,” Keller added. “In fact, a lot of our goals for improving the core game stem from looking at Overwatch as a whole, improving the parts of the game that are working and finding fixes for the parts that negatively affect the experience.”

Yeah, Overwatch 2 was a mistake.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Won't stop me from playing Zen and melting everyone while turning off comms entirely. Game is super toxic and it's way more enjoyable by automatically muting everyone.

Fake

Thank God I never played this shit.

This game is like losing his identity over time.

Good luck to folks that still play this game.

BlackTron

I tend to trust Blizzard when it comes to game design over the NeoGAF horde.

The difference between a meaningless change and an outrage still comes down to your opinion. Trust whoever you want, but spare us the faux philosophical insights like "I noticed some gamers don't like change" please.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The difference between a meaningless change and an outrage still comes down to your opinion. Trust whoever you want, but spare us the faux philosophical insights like "I noticed some gamers don't like change" please.

It's always important to get a variety of viewpoints. "bLiZzArD iS bAd" echo chambers are mind numbingly boring. You know I speak the truth.

Bridges

Eh

I'm no super fan, but Overwatch 2 was (apparently) my most played game last year. I don't really see this as a negative. One of the biggest barriers to entry for the game is how utterly impossible it is to have fun if you're queuing solo. I'm kind of curious to hop back in and see the change in effect, maybe I'd hate it in practice but what I see in this thread is a bunch of people clamoring for the game to fail and seeing any change as another step in that direction.

I haven't played since shortly after they added the flower boy. They kinda lost me there.

Roni

Gold Member
I loved Overwatch 1 dearly the first few months after it came out. Extremely depressing that a super high-quality game is now completely unavailable forever. Is there any prospect of fan-run servers for the old versions of the game or something, World of Warcraft-style?
They'll sell it to you as Overwatch classic in a few years.

wipeout364

This is a really bad change for the game. The game is designed around pushing as a team and players should be clustered around the objective/tank; if they are roaming then they should have good map knowledge and know where the healing items on the map are. If they are on or near objective then the support players should have their backs. This change will reward bad team players.

This will make people be even less team oriented and further increase wait times for DPS players. I always play role queue and select any class option, as I am willing to play all three roles but this essentially results in 75% support, 20 % tank and 5 % damage class. I will probably now be stuck at 90% support 9% tank and 1% damage.

Last edited:
I’ve enjoyed OW2 much more than OW1 since day one but they’re getting way too comfortable making any random change that pops into their heads, seemingly without giving them much thought.

After seeing so many tweaks lately that they’ve had to revert because they had terrible effects on balance, I’m done.

Something is off with the OW team and it will probably need a big shake up like how it took Bonnie Ross leaving 343 to turn Halo Infinite around.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's always important to get a variety of viewpoints. "bLiZzArD iS bAd" echo chambers are mind numbingly boring. You know I speak the truth.

I never said anything about having a different viewpoint, but it would be nice to make sense. Making a snarky remark about people "not liking all change" isn't even another viewpoint, it's just a generic strawman attack ABOUT ALL CHANGE EVER.

The way you act, you have no opinion of your own other than what Blizzard tells you to think because you uh "trust them". There is no viewpoint being shared.

If you actually made some sort of case for why you like this change other than "I trust them blindly" maybe THAT would be something. At least it would BE a different viewpoint. But your viewpoint on this issue seems to boil down to "you guys are stupid for having a different viewpoint than me on this...not that I even have one".

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I never said anything about having a different viewpoint, but it would be nice to make sense. Making a snarky remark about people "not liking all change" isn't even another viewpoint, it's just a generic strawman attack ABOUT ALL CHANGE EVER.

The way you act, you have no opinion of your own other than what Blizzard tells you to think because you uh "trust them". There is no viewpoint being shared.

If you actually made some sort of case for why you like this change other than "I trust them blindly" maybe THAT would be something. At least it would BE a different viewpoint. But your viewpoint on this issue seems to boil down to "you guys are stupid for having a different viewpoint than me on this...not that I even have one".

No, I'm more interested in the psychological.

Every multiplayer community in existence, since the dawn of time, reacts negatively to significant game changes. If you're cognizant at all, you're forced to ask yourself "What is going on?"

"Why would Blizzard (or any dev) put costly resources into changing their game?

It's because they see a significant player retention issue that they think can be fixed, or mitigated, by implementing this new change.

Toxic players online don't view the issue from Blizzards reasonable perspective. They only view it from their own perspective, which is a sign, or lacktherof, of intelligence. To view problems from multiple viewpoints is what separates us from the animals.

Also, GaMeRz wouldn't know game design if it smacked them in the face.

BlackTron

No, I'm more interested in the psychological.

Every multiplayer community in existence, since the dawn of time, reacts negatively to significant game changes. If you're cognizant at all, you're forced to ask yourself "What is going on?"

"Why would Blizzard (or any dev) put costly resources into changing their game?

It's because they see a significant player retention issue that they think can be fixed, or mitigated, by implementing this new change.

Toxic players online don't view the issue from Blizzards reasonable perspective. They only view it from their own perspective, which is a sign, or lacktherof, of intelligence. To view problems from multiple viewpoints is what separates us from the animals.

Also, GaMeRz wouldn't know game design if it smacked them in the face.

Yes, failing to understand why Blizzard developers choose to do the things to do just comes down to a lack of intelligence really. We figured it out.

Top Bottom