• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil West : Need help with one battle in final stage (before I drop this shit ass game)

Stafford

It's the three bats, because the part before it is not hard. I just shoot the heads of the shield enemies and soon it's over. But the bats are terrible. Earlier in the game there were two and for some reason when I tapped RT to shoot the electricity gun it would fill up my special attack bar quite nicely. For some reason after this fight the bar doesn't fill up anymore when I hit enemies with that gun. Only way to fill it up is by using the pull and RB attack.

The issue is, you cannot pull the giant bats and thus I can't seem to fill the bar up at all. My gun, rifle and bow barely put a dent into them and once I had the bar filled up thanks to the previous wave, it halved one of the bat's health but before I knew it he had regained all his health back. It's getting utterly ridiculous how bullet spongey these mofos are and I just can't seem to get it done. I watch YouTube videos and I see people getting the special attack bar filled up quite easily. What am I missing here?

I am getting very close to just giving up on this game because it's not worth the frustration. It's been a long ass time that a game pissed me off this much. The dev really made some baffling, shit decisions here.

It's the three bats, because the part before it is not hard. I just shoot the heads of the shield enemies and soon it's over. But the bats are terrible. Earlier in the game there were two and for some reason when I tapped RT to shoot the electricity gun it would fill up my special attack bar quite nicely. For some reason after this fight the bar doesn't fill up anymore when I hit enemies with that gun. Only way to fill it up is by using the pull and RB attack.

The issue is, you cannot pull the giant bats and thus I can't seem to fill the bar up at all. My gun, rifle and bow barely put a dent into them and once I had the bar filled up thanks to the previous wave, it halved one of the bat's health but before I knew it he had regained all his health back. It's getting utterly ridiculous how bullet spongey these mofos are and I just can't seem to get it done. I watch YouTube videos and I see people getting the special attack bar filled up quite easily. What am I missing here?

I am getting very close to just giving up on this game because it's not worth the frustration. It's been a long ass time that a game pissed me off this much. The dev really made some baffling, shit decisions here.
Weird the game pisses you off that much, but you’ve made it to the final area. Why would you not just stop playing it if it pisses you off? I personally see no value in continuing any game that pisses me off.

Stafford

Weird the game pisses you off that much, but you’ve made it to the final area. Why would you not just stop playing it if it pisses you off? I personally see no value in continuing any game that pisses me off.

Started playing in co-op with my brother when it arrived on Game Pass. We had fun for a while and then at some point the devs must have thought it was a good idea to bombard you with enemies and have very annoying boss fights functioning as ridiculous bullet sponges. Then by using a special attack we managed to get further through the story until like truly the last stage we are at now.

So it started nice, then got annoying and frustrating and fun was starting to go away, then by using these attacks the fun started to return and no all fun is gone. It makes zero sense how all our weapons barely damage these three bosses (all at the same time) and only the special attack truly hurts them, but seems almost impossible to obtain since the bar won't fill.

feynoob

Gold Member
It makes zero sense how all our weapons barely damage these three bosses (all at the same time) and only the special attack truly hurts them, but seems almost impossible to obtain since the bar won't fill.
Welcome to modern gaming, where things don't make sense at all and would make your gameplay miserable.

I would suggest you watch YouTube guides. Works most of the time.

ZehDon

Yeah, the devs systematically work to throw every possible boss combination at you in the last third of the game - even when it's unfun. For the three bats, my strategy was basically to focus on one and whittle it down. I had to use every burnable more than once. I pumped points into my extra stuff - like the throwable dynamite - and used that to deal decent damage. But it was a war of attrition that took a while. Running in the circle, healing when I could, dodging as much damage as possible. Once the first bat goes down, the whole thing becomes a lot more manageable. But yeah - the fight that opens the Opera house is probably my least favourite in the entire game, frankly. It was just a super drawn out slog. At least with the actual boss fights they give you proper check points.

Last edited:
Started playing in co-op with my brother when it arrived on Game Pass. We had fun for a while and then at some point the devs must have thought it was a good idea to bombard you with enemies and have very annoying boss fights functioning as ridiculous bullet sponges. Then by using a special attack we managed to get further through the story until like truly the last stage we are at now.

So it started nice, then got annoying and frustrating and fun was starting to go away, then by using these attacks the fun started to return and no all fun is gone. It makes zero sense how all our weapons barely damage these three bosses (all at the same time) and only the special attack truly hurts them, but seems almost impossible to obtain since the bar won't fill.
I agree completely…game was amazing to me for the first couple of chapters, then it feels like they tried to do too much. It was a perfect pace and then all of a sudden it wasn’t. That’s when I stopped playing. I still wanted to see it through, but my time is too limited these days.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
For me Evil West got way better, the further I got in the game and leveled up my character.

Wish I could recall how I handled those fights, but I’d recommend watching someone on YouTube and see what they did.
Also taking a break and returning to a game later can make a world of difference sometimes.

He paid for this shit game his hard earned cash. If you finish the game It's like you get something from your money back(at least that's what we tell ourselves.😉)

Katatonic

This game had piqued my interest as a sleeper AA action game. Got it "free" with + and it was so depressing how dated it felt. Couldn't force myself to play it when there's so many bangers out.

Kings Field

This game had piqued my interest as a sleeper AA action game. Got it "free" with + and it was so depressing how dated it felt. Couldn't force myself to play it when there's so many bangers out.

Carcass

Headbang Rocking Out GIF

Stafford

I had fun with the game but i remember a couple of times where i really had to get good.

If this is a shit game, you never played shit games dude.

I've did quite well indeed to avoid trash games, yep. I find it all very unfortunate because if the dev had not made these enemies so bullet spongey, actually had these weapons be worth a damn during combat it would have been a good game.

Such a shame how those things just ruin it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I had a great time with this one. Super good old school vibes. Just the right length. Nice upgrades. Fun gunplay.

Fuck now I might reinstall. Gracias.

Monkfish877

I just finished this game on Evil difficulty on my first playthrough and I didn't get the trophy for completing it on evil, I'm really upset about this. I've read on reddit that the only way to get that trophy is to replay it on evil difficulty again, is there no other way? don't fancy some of the fights on evil again. My plan was to hoover up the remaining trophies by replaying missions, really don't want to do another playthrough, especially on Evil, ( I hate replaying games).

Sometimes out of spite, sometimes out of curiosity, sometimes because it's the only game you'll buy for a while, and sometimes because you want the feeling of closure no matter how bad.

Stafford

Man, I don’t remember what I did but I can only tell you one thing: if I managed to beat it, so can you!

Perhaps, but we gave up. We tried one last time last Sunday and for some reason we couldn't even get past the first round now. As if this fucking game changes difficulty or bullet sponge level on the fly. Bullshit ass game. Uninstalled it and won't go back.

Gandih42

I've did quite well indeed to avoid trash games, yep. I find it all very unfortunate because if the dev had not made these enemies so bullet spongey, actually had these weapons be worth a damn during combat it would have been a good game.

Such a shame how those things just ruin it.
Not sure how it applies to other difficulties but on Normal and Evil at least I wouldn't consider the regular firearms as damage dealers (except against smaller enemies). That mindset could definitely make big enemies feel more spongy.

Their main function against bigger enemies is exploiting weakpoints. Your damage sources should be the weapons with limited ammo/cooldowns and melee.

That being said, for this fight specifically I'd recommend focusing on nuking one down first.

Pop your god-mode, electrocute it for a free combo when the bar is filled, time your grenade and shotgun to stagger it for more melee opportunities. And for the love of god, when it hovers in the air to heal, shoot it.

You can also get free heals by shooting it when it charges one of its ranged attacks (very short window though).

I can't remember if this encounter has adds, but knocking small guys into big ones is another easy source of damage and crowd control to abuse.

Took me a lot of tries on Evil, probably hardest fight in the game. Hope any of this helps! (if still relevant)

Kataploom

Gold Member
Uh... I've seen some complaints about the final segment of the game getting difficulty peaks. I hate that type of design but I'll still give it a chance later

Stafford

The game isn't shit, you're just bad at it.

I don't remember a single boss I had issues with.

Great game. Hidden gem total.

Good for you. Me and my bro did and plenty people, I noticed via a Google search.

The game IS shit. 😤

Simply not worth precious time, and certainly not worth stressing over. Way too much actual good stuff out there.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I haven’t played Evil West but honestly my go to is watching a YouTube playthrough when I get stuck nowadays. It’s saved me a ton of time off in the last few years. It’s up to you how you feel about that approach some people would consider it cheating or spoiling the game but I just consider it tutoring.

Edit Just wanted to add I try to find just the specific section I am on and I usually only watch that. I didn’t want to imply watch the whole game play through.

Last edited:
Top Bottom