• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ExitPoll: 21% of Bernie supporters did not vote for Wisc. Dem Supreme Court Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, that's true. But I would think that a primary election would decide who is on a ballot, not be a final judgment. Just surprising is all.

Once again, a primary election is just an election. There's all sorts of important shit that can be decided on days that aren't in November.

Emarv

Do you have evidence that Kloppenburg would have won if Hillary had no challenger?

Democrats are not ones to show up to these kinds of elections, yet Republicans would have been out in full force to cast their Fuck/Hail Donald Trump votes.

It seems to me like Bernie supporters might have made this closer than it would have been otherwise, which would have been a complete shut-out.

if you don't see how that's not the issue here, then man...

I loved living in Wisconsin. It's a wonderful state. However, after seeing the way that Walker and his cronies in the legislature have consistently set about destroying all the things that make the state great, I'm happy to no longer be living there.

What I've heard from people who are very plugged in to Wisconsin politics is that Walker is unlikely to run for a third term. Basically it's a combination of not really enjoying the job and knowing he could make a lot more money in the private sector, which he kind of needs to do given his substantial personal debts. That having been said, even if he doesn't run that doesn't mean another odious Republican won't replace him, and there's certainly no hope of flipping the legislature until the districts can be redrawn.

Well that's something. My worry is that the dems won't have a strong candidate for the next election. My fiance works for the doc and is affected by a lot of what walker has done. Paid shit with no raise in sight (hasn't had one in 5 years). She's looking for a new job but it's always in state service. She gets passed off every time I mention looking outside state work. I'm hoping I can persuade her to move out of state next year since my new job let's me be flexible in where I work.

Arkeband

Banned
But that has nothing to do with the point at hand. Bernie was in the race, and 1/5 of his supporters did not support Kloppenburg!

What's wrong with saying "hm, yeah, this is bad, we really need to work on this"?

It has everything to do with the point at hand, he even urged his base to vote for Kloppenburg.

The next night, at a rally in Madison, Bernie Sanders told thousands of cheering supporters, “I hope that a large voter turnout on Tuesday will help elect JoAnne Kloppenburg to the Supreme Court.”
http://www.thenation.com/article/sa...-on-a-court-pick-in-todays-wisconsin-primary/

You're SO thirsty to stick it to Bernie and his supporters that you're missing the point that without Bernie in the race, Kloppenburg wouldn't have had a chance at all.

LCGeek

formerly sane
That's not the point. The point is that if they couldn't be bothered to vote in a down ballot election in a year with Bernie on the ballot, what makes anyone think they'll be bothered to give a shit if he's not on the ballot? His entire thing about getting shit done and taking back the house is, "I excite people and they'll vote for me and we'll take back the house that way." It's obviously not true, there is no revolution.

Then the point should become what do democrats do to get people interest in elections besides presidental ones cause that's universal problem, sanders supporters are just a symptom of it. Bernie has a point. I find this sad democrats won't hijack it for themselves and actually work on it despite constantly losing mid term elections for how many decades because of this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom