• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wisconsin Supreme Court candidate Rebecca Bradley says horrific things in college

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paskil

http://www.jsonline.com/news/rebecc...to-kill-themselves-b99682686z1-371276861.html

This is peaking in the news right now. I realize that this is a local Wisconsin election, but when she attended Marquette, she wrote some particularly horrendous things. She was appointed three times by Scott Walker to various judge positions over the last decade, most recently to the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Unfortunately, Wisconsin is one of the states that has Supreme Court elections, so outside spending and low turnout have a huge impact on the results.

Newly appointed state Supreme Court Justice Rebecca Bradley wrote in a student newspaper 24 years ago that she had no sympathy for AIDS patients because they had effectively chosen to kill themselves, called gays "queers" and said Americans were "either totally stupid or entirely evil" for electing President Bill Clinton.

In one piece, she wrote people would be better off getting AIDS than cancer under Clinton because it would get more funding.

"How sad that the lives of degenerate drug addicts and queers are valued more than the innocent victims of more prevalent ailments," wrote Bradley, who then had the last name of Grassl.
Keep in mind that this isn't one isolated incident, but several:

■ "Perhaps AIDS Awareness should seek to educate us with their misdirected compassion for the degenerates who basically commit suicide through their behavior."

■ "But the homosexuals and drug addicts who do essentially kill themselves and others through their own behavior deservedly receive none of my sympathy."

■ "This brings me to my next point — why is a student government on a Catholic campus attempting to bring legitimacy to an abnormal sexual preference?"

■ "Heterosexual sex is very healthy in a loving martial relationship. Homosexual sex, however, kills."

■ "I will certainly characterize whomever transferred their infected blood (to a transfusion recipient) a homosexual or drug-addicted degenerate and a murderer."

■ "We've just had an election (in 1992) which proves the majority of voters are either totally stupid or entirely evil."

■ Clinton "supports the Freedom of Choice Act, which will allow women to mutilate and dismember their helpless children through their ninth month of pregnancy. Anyone who could consciously vote for such a murderer is obviously immoral."

This lady is up for election on 4/5/2016. I will be voting against her and I would encourage other Wisconsinites to do the same.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
How very christian of her.

I'd say I'm shocked, but I'm not. A lot of evangelical preachers spew this kind of hate speech and give no fuck's about doing it.

Almost makes me wish that I believed in God and that heaven was real, so people like her could go to the pearl gates and be rejected for being giant pieces of shit.

This woman is just vile. Full of hate and Ignorance. A very dangerous combination considering her position.

It always dumbfound me how people like her get to have some authority over this country. It always happens!

Hopefully she fails, but I don't see it happening.

Generally its the "activist" judges who stand up for civil rights that get the boot..

Like here in Iowa, 3 of the justices who ruled to legalize marriage equality lost their retention elections the following year.

Ekai

I'm not surprised. She's in bed (not literally) with Scott Walker so, yea. She's a piece of shit human being. Some poll workers where I live tried to push me to vote for her too earlier this year in the initial local election. I knew better, of course, and I made a report on the matter (and about how they literally called an AA couple leaving darkies and that they were trying to commit voter fraud-same couple had proof of residence in their hands-their utility bill-and they were upset with not being allowed to vote). Of course the report went nowhere. Fucking Republicans are just purposefully taking away the voice of the people. It's the only way their policies driven by selfish greed and fuck-heaed "got mine" morality will ever see the light of day.

Tagyhag

“To those offended by comments I made as a young college student, I apologize, and assure you that those comments are not reflective of my worldview,” Bradley said in a statement. “These comments have nothing to do with who I am as a person or a jurist, and they have nothing to do with the issues facing the voters of this state

“I am frankly embarrassed at the content and tone of what I wrote those many years ago

Yeah she's not sorry at all.

Ekai

Yeah she's not sorry at all.

She's basically saying no one in Wisconsin is in the LGBT spectrum so her toxic beliefs influencing the lives of those in that spectrum won't matter. Which is a load of hogwash. Republicans have been trying to turn Wisconsin red for a while now and Walker's fear-mongering and lies about the poor, racial minorities, those in the lgbt spectrum, women's rights, unions, etc. etc. have unfortunately worked to some extent. The state is largely still blue but there's a huge concentration of red surrounding Milwaukee that has way too much power. One whole county is pretty much red and everything else is fairly blue. It doesn't help he has some of the papers in his pocket either. I love Wisconsin, I hate what Walker has done to it. What's even more ridiculous is in his short time on the job, he's turned Wisconsin from one of the better states in the union on many levels to literally one of the worst. He has literally the worst track record of a politician in a loooooong time. And he broke the law. And protected himself from that by making it legal to do the shit he did. Fuck Republicans forever....sorry if that was a bit intense. I just, ugh.

And those comments have nothing to do with you as a person? Sorry lady, you'rte vile shit. End of story.

Yea I was about to ask. People can change but damn if those aren't so horrendous comments.

She's literally a crony of Scott Walker aka the Republican who should be in jail but passed a law that's only purpose is to protect him from going to jail.. She hasn't changed.

Paskil

Is her current record still as insane as it was 24 years ago?

Another article I saw somewhere said she was at a Fair Wisconsin fundraiser in 2013 or 2014. Fair Wisconsin was the major organization opposing the Wisconsin constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage in 2006. I did some volunteer work for them then. Not sure about now.

She has refused to say whether she voted for or against the constitutional amendment in 2006 (which is her right).

robochimp

She isn't just a candidate, she is a sitting State Supreme Court Justice.

In WI the governor appoints a justice, then they go up for election to a 10 year term.

She is voting on cases without having been on the bench to hear the case argued, but only when her vote is needed to seal a conservative majority.

She left arguments early to go to a chamber of commerce fundraiser benefiting her campaign.

Ekai

She isn't just a candidate, she is a sitting State Supreme Court Justice.

In WI the governor appoints a justice, then they go up for election to a 10 year term.

She is voting on cases without having been on the bench to hear the case argued, but only when her vote is neede to seal a conservative majority.

She left arguments early to go to a chamber of commerce fundraiser benefiting her campaign.

She cares more about her own pocket than doing her job, basically.
Plus with her being ultra-conservative she wants to dial back rights for everyone anyway.

Paskil

Disclosure, I work in Wisconsin state government and lean pretty far left. I can't sit by and watch this shit which is why I created this thread. Sadly, I probably will sit by and watch this shit since I am working a polling place as a chief inspector in the 4/5/2016 election.

VOTE KLOPPENBURG FOR WISCONSIN SUPREME COURT!

Kettch

Even if she did walk back the comments, it wouldn't matter to me. As much as I like to give people second chances, especially from things they did when they were younger, that does not extend to giving them positions of power over others such as a spot in the judiciary. Too much of a risk when she's shown the ability to be so discriminatory and hateful.

Ekai

Disclosure, I work in Wisconsin state government and lean pretty far left. I can't sit by and watch this shit which is why I created this thread. Sadly, I probably will sit by and watch this shit since I am working a polling place as a chief inspector in the 4/5/2016 election.

VOTE KLOPPENBURG FOR WISCONSIN SUPREME COURT!

I already voted for her the first time around. Plan to do so again. And I swear, if I see more polling workers try to turn away AA democrat voters, I'm going to blow a fucking gasket.

Ekai

OP, do you have any control over who works the polling places at all? Because legit voters who were AA were turned away during the initial election. And these same workers tried to push me to vote for Rebecca Bradley.

Paskil

I already voted for her the first time around. Plan to do so again. And I swear, if I see more polling workers try to turn away AA democrat voters, I'm going to blow a fucking gasket.

I love you for voting in the supreme court primary. That was my first election working at a polling place, but you know people that vote in an election for a state supreme court runoff are the voters that really care. Whatever the results, thank you for exercising your constitutional right and caring.

Cheers.

OP, do you have any control over who works the polling places at all? Because legit voters who were AA were turned away during the initial election. And these same workers tried to push me to vote for Rebecca Bradley.

All I can say is to file a complaint with the government accountability board. That is ridiculous, if true. I might not like the results at a polling place, but I consider my participation sacred and would never consider trying to influence the results. As a chief inspector, I can kick people out of the polling place for even minor shit. Contact your county or municipal clerk, otherwise. I heard back on election day when someone trying to register to vote was turned away to a different polling place incorrectly (we have cell phones and are in contact with the municipal clerk, Madison).

You can't just apologize and walk away from statements like that. You have to repudiate them individually and explain how your current views differ. And if you have any you still-kinda believe, I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ekai

I love you for voting in the supreme court primary. That was my first election working at a polling place, but you know people that vote in an election for a state supreme court runoff are the voters that really care. Whatever the results, thank you for exercising your constitutional right and caring.

Cheers.

All I can say is to file a complaint with the government accountability board. That is ridiculous, if true. I might not like the results at a polling place, but I consider my participation sacred and would never consider trying to influence the results. As a chief inspector, I can kick people out of the polling place for even minor shit. Contact your county or municipal clerk, otherwise

Of course! :)
I try to do what I can to help. Don't have a lot of free-time, unfortunately, so I can't commit to a lot of volunteer work right now on anything.

Alright, will do. Thank you.

Wisconsin, you have so much potential, but I think I'll stay safely in your neighboring state.

- Minnesota Resident

Gotta say. I really like what I've seen of Wisconsin and the people there for the most part. But ever since I've lived here in MN (5 years) the government issues there keep me from considering living there.

Hale-XF11

Thanks for the heads up. Just went ahead and put it in my calendar. I don't have much hope left for my home state, but at least I can say I voted (again) when all is said and done.

Wisconsin, you have so much potential, but I think I'll stay safely in your neighboring state.

- Minnesota Resident

Gotta say. I really like what I've seen of Wisconsin and the people there for the most part. But ever since I've lived here in MN (5 years) the government issues there keep me from considering living there.

I'm insanely jealous of you guys. Your political climate is the exact polar opposite of ours right now.

Paskil

I'm insanely jealous of you guys. Your political climate is the exact polar opposite of ours right now.

Yup. I don't know how we ended up where we are now. The only thing I can hope is that we change things around when we kick out Johnson and put Feingold back in office. That was such an embarrassment in 2010. Our state is ridiculously divided.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Hopefully I can get my friends to vote in this election. It will be much easier if Bernie is still in the game. Tons of liberals that don't normally vote in spring elections would be there.

I love Milwaukee, but god damn am I thinking about giving the Twin Cities a chance. Minnesota just seems so much better now.

Loxley

You know, just a few years ago I was kind of proud that my home state rarely ever made it into the news - Wisconsin was a fairly inoffensive place.

I don't know what caused this complete meltdown to happen, but I don't like it. You know what, I'll just blame Scott Walker, that usually works.

You know, just a few years ago I was kind of proud that my home state rarely ever made it into the news - Wisconsin was a fairly inoffensive place.

I don't know what caused this complete meltdown to happen, but I don't like it. You know what, I'll just blame Scott Walker, that usually works.
I'm in the same boat

Ekai

Well, he is who to blame here.

Hale-XF11

Yup. I don't know how we ended up where we are now. The only thing I can hope is that we change things around when we kick out Johnson and put Feingold back in office. That was such an embarrassment in 2010. Our state is ridiculously divided.

Sadly, it seems to me like re-districting will ensure that we remain forcibly divided for some time to come.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah growing up it was like "Wisconsin! We're a very slightly more conservative Minnesota"

I leave for college and the whole thing goes to hell

Odrion

Banned
Yeah growing up it was like "Wisconsin! We're a very slightly more conservative Minnesota"

I leave for college and the whole thing goes to hell
people like to forget that north of madison & milwaukee it's rural areas and rednecks for days (and 99% of Wisconsin is above those areas), and once a black guy got elected it shook them up

also a ton of hunters and all around gun enthusiasts

kiryogi

Banned
Not to side track. But besides this how did you guys even let Walker get reelected and keep his seat when they tried to recall him. Looking at the polling results from the article doesn't sound promising either regarding Bradley's chances.

duckroll

When I saw the thread title, my kneejerk reaction was that it is kinda low to dig up stuff people might have said as students to attack them during an election. Then I saw the comments. Lol. While I do believe that people change and evolve on opinions, those comments are so disgusting and devoid of empathy that there absolutely needs to be a clarification from the candidate. Her apology seems weak and suggusting that it has no impact on the voters seems dishonest.

When I saw the thread title, my kneejerk reaction was that it is kinda low to dig up stuff people might have said as students to attack them during an election. Then I saw the comments. Lol. While I do believe that people change and evolve on opinions, those comments are so disgusting and devoid of empathy that there absolutely needs to be a clarification from the candidate. Her apology seems weak and suggusting that it has no impact on the voters seems dishonest.

Agreed. My initial thoughts were that it wasn't fair to hold stupid shit someone said in college against them. But ... She doesn't even really address her comments and she shows zero awareness that they are major issues right now.

I grew up in Arkansas and after living in Minnesota I don't think I'll ever be able to leave unless it's for a few other select states. It really is a nice place to live overall. Good business, good politics, a nice city, nice people. You guys and gals from WI are welcome any time.

robochimp

Not to side track. But besides this how did you guys even let Walker get reelected and keep his seat when they tried to recall him. Looking at the polling results from the article doesn't sound promising either regarding Bradley's chances.

Incumbents have the advantage. As for the Recall, Walker could raise unlimited money, opponents could not. Walker and company successfully shaped the narrative that the recall was a huge waste of time and money. Finally the recall organizers bungled the time line, they should have had it land on or closer to the presidential election, there was pressure from the Obama campaign to keep it away from November.

Post 2010 the Democratic Party of WI is in shambles, no message, no candidates.

RDreamer

Walker turned the entire recall narrative around, pretty brilliantly actually. It wasn't a vote for him anymore. It was a vote against being able to recall someone that didn't break the law. He basically made Wisconsin voters angry that money was being wasted to recall him and painted the democrats as butthurt babies.

It also doesn't help that the democrats keep putting shitty fucking candidates against him. No one wants Tom fucking Barret as governor. He's not inspiring to anyone. Walker's base thinks of him as republican Jesus. You can't beat that with a milquetoast.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is disgusting yo. What a terrible person. Like, you have to basically have contempt for people to believe these things. People with AIDS chose to kill themselves? Homosexuality kills? What the fuck.

Hope I'm never asked to explain some of the dumb shit I said when I was younger, but thankfully it was never this horrible.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hope I'm never asked to explain some of the dumb shit I said when I was younger, but thankfully it was never this horrible.

I said lots of dumb shit when I was younger. But this is way, way different. This isn't saying dumb shit. This is straight up evil. This woman is an evil individual.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is her current record still as insane as it was 24 years ago?

This is what really matters. College is weird for many. And the early years of AIDS epidemic brought out a lot of unfounded ugliness, in part due to the fear and mistrust sowed by some in authority.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is what really matters. College is weird for many. And the early years of AIDS epidemic brought out a lot of unfounded ugliness, in part due to the fear and mistrust sowed by some in authority.

This was 1992. A year after Magic Johnson's announcement about HIV. These aren't misconceptions that anybody except the willingly ignorant held. By 1992, the public knew that HIV wasn't "GRIDS"

In fact, judging by what she says, it sounds like she was specifically pushing back against that revelation.

RDreamer

Right, I think most of us never said things quite this horrible, and if we did we would be able to straight up say this was horrible. I said some dumb things back when I was in high school, but I wouldn't hesitate now to say that sort of talk was nothing short of brain dead. Her statement is the least she could do and really doesn't garner confidence in me that she thinks that stuff was as bullshit as we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom