• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Expectations for The Game Awards 2019

Type away!

Ofc, I made this thread because I have a specific prediction in mind šŸ’

Firstly, I doubt we'll get a BotW2-trailer. BotW1 didn't show one either, only lame gameplay-demos. No Zelda.

But Smash Bros will be there. And not just once. The first announcement will be the 5th DLC-fighter reveal. But then comes the big announcement: Super Smash Bros Ultimate goes free-2-play! The will still be available as is on disc. However, you can also download a starter-edition that features 10 characters for free + all multiplayer modes. If you want more fighters or the adventure mode, you need to buy those separately. Why make Smash free-2-play? Because Sakurai will announce that there won't be another from-the-ground new Smash-game. Instead, Ultimate will keep getting DLC for 'forever', keeping it fresh and fulfilling the fans' fighter wishes. And most importantly, Nintendo can keep it alive on future hardware.

My non-Smash prediction is Metroid Prime Trilogy - announced by Reggie. He'll be all like "now that I'm no longer with Nintendo, I still wanted to give you guys what you told me you want for so many years. So here it is: Metroid Prime Trilogy: Galactic Edition!"

Ribi

Half-Life thr..... Errr death stranding winning everything because of bias. And dead island 2 trailer

boom

Zephir

I just want a release date for Kingdom Hearts III Re:Mind, it's basically winter already, c'mon!

Also I wouldn't mind some new FF7Remake footage

Skyr

kojima2.gif

brian0057

Banned
I'm expecting the equivalent to a three hour crawl over broken glass with 30 second intervals every half hour where the Schick mascot beats you over the head with a sledgehammer while Geoff simultaneously fellates Kojima live on stage.

Last edited:

Bkdk

New gameplay from yakuza 7, half life Alyx, cyberpunk, dying light 2, wasteland 3, avengers game, elden rings ff7 remake , dragon age 4. Really Hoping for gameplay teaser for starfield and baldurs gate 3. perhaps outer worlds dlc plus mod support trailers would also be amazing . New games will be mostly indie as next gen is soon upon us and they will hold off until next E3. Ubisoft might reveal next splinter cell as they are in a bit of desperation.

New gameplay from yakuza 7, half life Alyx, cyberpunk, dying light 2, wasteland 3, avengers game, elden rings ff7 remake , dragon age 4. Really Hoping for gameplay teaser for starfield and baldurs gate 3. perhaps outer worlds dlc plus mod support trailers would also be amazing . New games will be mostly indie as next gen is soon upon us and they will hold off until next E3. Ubisoft might reveal next splinter cell as they are in a bit of desperation.

Mos def to the bold.

Starfield will probably be at Quakecon next year or the year after.

BG3, maybe at Gamescom next year.

DA4 probably E3 2022. All the rest, sure.

ethomaz

Banned
Death Stranding!

Because it deserves to win the Game of The Generation Award.

Last edited:

Sophist

I expect Kojima to get the Industry Icon Award for the second time in his career, settling him as the GOAT once for all.

Petrae

ā€” Social justice everywhere
ā€” Death Stranding sweeps everything
ā€” Some shitty musical acts because filler time
ā€” Awkward/cringeworthy acceptance speeches
ā€” One rebellious award recipient that says something incredibly stupid on camera for the cool factor
ā€” The same two commercials air 5-7 times each
ā€” A record low for fewest ā€œawardsā€ given on the air
ā€” Trailers wonā€™t show any gameplay. Again.
ā€” Dorito Pope cries

GV82

Donā€™t do it to yourself.

Expect nothing, get excited only if they show something worthy.
Somehow I thought HL-Alyx wouldā€™ve been kept secret until then I guess they want to encourage new VR sales, buy a headset in BF deals ready.

The Alien

Banned
While I do feel it gets "better" every year, Geoff Keighley cant go 2 full hours without some level of cringe.

(Personal fave was when Konami wouldn't let Kojima attend the Game Awards. It looked like Geoff wanted us all to cry. Bwa-hahahah). šŸ¤£

I'd like a good show, but I'd love a festival of cringe even more. If I'm not physically sunk another foot into my chair by the end of a game award show, I consider it a failure.

Please have plenty of quality blatant advertising (think Hydrobot or Crash) and various other product shilling. Really jam that shit right down my throat.

Please ensure that at least half of the presenters come across as people that have never touched a video game, make sure that every demographic is represented on stage throughout the show.

Please lets have another batshit insane furry on the show, put a mic in front of it again and let 'er rip tater chip.

Please get some guy out there to play a flute for a while or something (but please don't let the furry play his flute).

Please, lean in to kiss Kojima after telling the world how much you love him, only to have him pull away at the last second, rejecting your affections. Try hard to hold back the tears as you finish the show with a cracked voice and running manscara.

Please have Josef Fares just snort a line right on stage and give him a mic again.

Please, terrible comedy skits, load that shit right up with some of the worst comedy ever written.

New trailers for Elden Ring and Bayonetta 3 and new DLC and expansions for many games I donĀ“t play.

I don't expect big reveals but it would be nice if something unexpected was shown like Dragon's Dogma 2 or Metroid Prime 4 for example.

As for the actual awards, I couldn't care less, Devil May Cry 5, Astral Chain and SW: Jedi Fallen Order should be GOTY contenders to begin with.

Kagey K

Banned
New trailers for Elden Ring and Bayonetta 3 and new DLC and expansions for many games I donĀ“t play.

I don't expect big reveals but it would be nice if something unexpected was shown like Dragon's Dogma 2 or Metroid Prime 4 for example.

As for the actual awards, I couldn't care less, Devil May Cry 5, Astral Chain and SW: Jedi Fallen Order should be GOTY contenders to begin with.
I agree, most of the nominees are shit this year. I will watch for announcements and trailers, but this year really showed some of this biases the people that nominate have.

They arenā€™t even in line with what they reviewed stuff as according to OpenCritic and MetaCritic.

i would enjoy reading a piece about how a critic could nominate a game they gave a low score to. Iā€™d like to read their reactions now vs what they wrote when it first came out.

None of them have the balls to do it though.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Expectations:

1. Top tier cringe
2. Gillette Razor man
3. Music that appeals to no one
4. Crying speech about how great it feels to be recognised by other "gamers"
5. Forced LGBT shit

GymWolf

Gold Member
I will watch the reveals the day after.

I don't give a shit about the awards and i can't stand dorito boy...

-Arcadia-

Banned
The exact same feeling watching the microwave tick down for the last minute.

Thatā€™s all these stupid CG trailer fests make me feel anymore.

I like the awards and Keighley, though, as brief and rare as the former tend to be.

sublimit

Banned
I expect to see Kojima finally kissing Geoff and then Geoff devoutly put a dorito in Kojina's mouth with a small tear coming from his left eye with an expression in his face saying "thank you for everything."

IKSTUGA

What I want: Metroid Prime Trilogy. I've been dying to play MP1 again and dolphin sucks dick.

What I expect: Death Stranding dlc, new Smash character and Batman: the Owl game. Maybe some indie crap as well.

Shifty

There will be cringe, and everything will be AAA.

Kojima will almost certainly be wheeled out again, possibly with better-synced light-up floor this year.

Top Bottom