• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit.

Judging by the language, one of the militia flipped off one of women speaking.

Yup, real For The People types.
If you're talking about the "obscene gesture" the dude made a dick sucking motion with his mouth and hand. There's a gif in a tweet about it linked in that article.

I wonder it they really thought the locals would rally around them when they started all this bullshit.

Not to be a dick but how does it affect the community? Road closures? Feds taking over other buildings?
Aside from the stalking of locals and BLM employees, just the knowledge that they are assembled and heavily armed at the refuge is enough to stress the locals out. You don't bring your guns to an illegal occupation unless you intend to kill people under certain circumstances. Local people don't want their town known for this shit.

besada

Banned
Not to be a dick but how does it affect the community? Road closures? Feds taking over other buildings?

Many of the locals work for the federal government, and have been out of work. The schools were closed initially, because the town had armed men wandering around shouting about the federal government. The militia have followed folks around, gotten into screaming matches at the grocery store, and just generally been a disruption to a small town.

The Feds have barricaded the Town Hall, there are reporters all over the place, people on both sides of the issue, with dubious mental stability, are showing up to "help".

Basically their town was invaded by a media circus and a bunch of crazy people. And this is a town of less than three thousand people.

Opto

Banned
Mother fuckers showed up to the town hall meeting and still don't get arrested. Heard that on NPR on my drive home and fucking screamed.

Neil Sigurd Wampler, one of the militants who joined the armed occupation of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge early on, insisted that he is allowed to carry a firearm — even though he was convicted of murdering his father.

An investigation by The Oregonian revealed this week that Wampler, 68, had been convicted of second-degree murder in 1977, when he was 29.

According to police reports, Wampler hit his father in the head with a 16-inch rod, and then hitchhiked to a liquor store, where he called police to confess. He later pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity and was sentenced to five years in prison. He was released in 1981.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/rev...g-father-but-says-he-can-legally-carry-a-gun/

Jeremy

I wonder it they really thought the locals would rally around them when they started all this bullshit.

My opinion is that they thought they were going to take over the reserve and 'Obummer' was going to send in the National Guard and it was going to kick off an anti-government civil war. Surely someone is thinking "Maybe we should go home..." but no one wants to be seen as the unpatriotic liberal scum by their militant buddies.

This whole thing is a shit show that's gone on too long.

Lucreto

Nearly 3 weeks and nothing has happened yet.

If they are still there in Spring and Summer I hope they don't get it into their heads to declare open season on the birds in the reserve.

If there are no wildlife to protect there is no need for the federal government to hold the land.

If they are still there in Spring and Summer I hope they don't get it into their heads to declare open season on the birds in the reserve.

If there are no wildlife to protect there is no need for the federal government to hold the land.
Wow..that's very true.

massoluk

Banned
A bit old, I guess, but people aren't really comfortable at the video of them rummaging through Native American artifacts at the sanctuary.

http://gawker.com/oregon-wildlife-r...urce=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

A video uploaded to Facebook on Wednesday appears to show the armed militants occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge rummaging through a storage area, accusing the Bureau of Land Management of improperly storing artifacts belonging to the local, native Paiute tribe. “SHARE!” the video is captioned. “BREAKING UPDATE BURNS OREGON BLM LEFT NATIVE ARTIFACTS TO ROT IN MICE DROPPINGS!”

jmood88

Everything about this is fucking ridiculous. We've had unarmed black people shot at and beaten, students tased and pepper-sprayed for protesting, yet these assholes do whatever the hell they want and just get politely asked to leave.

Kurdel

Banned
Everything about this is fucking ridiculous. We've had unarmed black people shot at and beaten, students tased and pepper-sprayed for protesting, yet these assholes do whatever the hell they want and just get politely asked to leave.

Yeah, the response to a building takeover by armed men is different, I can't see how after more than 30 pages you still don't get this.

Almost 20 days now.

20 days.

They'll surely get bored of all the attention, adoration, endless supplies, support, news media coverage, and free reign over the entire property and all the equipment within it that they'll just leave without anyone having to confront them...

Aaaaaaaany day now...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hopefully Kate Brown asking the feds to act will yield some results, but I'm not holding my breath.

Why we can't at least jam cell phones, cut off the power, and barricade the roads is sad.

lawnchair

Banned

shooting birds on a wildlife preserve is just another felony that nobody will end up getting charged with!

riotous

Banned
You're going to continue to see how I'll not get it because it will never make sense to me.

Most civil disobedience that has an immediate police response happens on roads or places people actually drive or live. This is quite purposeful because the point of civil disobedience is to disrupt daily life of people so they pay attention (at least one of the points and why locations are chosen.)

These cowards specifically chose a place nobody usually drives to let alone occupies. If they were in the middle of a city blocking roads I doubt they'd get ignored.

Not trying to be combative but it seems rather obvious why the hands off strategy has been chosen; because these guys aren't really disrupting anything. Their pathetic civil disobedience has no immediate consequences and isn't inconveniencing anyone.

At the same time their threats and other actions are major crimes; if they are never arrested for these crimes and punished I'd say definitely we should start discussing why and potentially bring race into the conversation.

IMO at least.

I'd HOPE that if a BlM protest occupied an unused building in the middle of nowhere they'd get the same non response; unless that happens I think it's red apples vs green apples.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There is absolutely no excuse for Law Enforcement not immediately setting up road blocks and preventing these criminals from coming and going as they please. Allowing them to build a stockpile of supplies and freely leave their compound to destroy property and terrorize the townspeople.

They are not employing a hands off approach. There is no approach. These people's lawless action is allowed to continue with absolutely no consequences.

riotous

Banned
Well whether they suffer consequences has yet to be seen. Their crimes are well documented.

And a hands off approach is exactly what you just described; being semantic at this point. Just because they aren't acting while the crimes are being committed doesn't mean arrests and prosecution won't happen.

I want something done about the guys as well, was just addressing the difference between this action and typical civil disobedience.

I wasn't making excuses just explaining the uniqueness of the scenario compared to typical police responses to "protestors."

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This is so ridiculous. At the absolute bare minimum road blocks should be setup so they can't come and go as they please. When I first heard about them making grocery runs I though it was a joke. I was dumbfounded to find out that they can just come and go as they wish.

This is madness. Block their asses in, let their food run out, and then as they start leaving slap the cuffs on them.

CrazyDude

This is so ridiculous. At the absolute bare minimum road blocks should be setup so they can't come and go as they please. When I first heard about them making grocery runs I though it was a joke. I was dumbfounded to find out that they can just come and go as they wish.

This is madness. Block their asses in, let their food run out, and then as they start leaving slap the cuffs on them.

They arrested one of them, but then immediately let him go as long as he promised not to go back and occupy the place again.

Opto

Banned
Even the governor is telling the feds to do something. Of course why the state can't do anything I have no clue. Really more of a passing the buck call

The 50 gallon drum of lube should arrive soon, and then they'll be set.
103135.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sure, I want the FBI to go in and arrest everyone, but the fact that local authorities haven't done diddly tells me Oregon doesn't want any kind of responsibility

The city is a town of a few thousand. While it doesn't excuse the Sheriff going and shaking hands with these guys, they never would have been able to lock the place down. Federal authorities should have surrounded that place 20 days ago.

The city is a town of a few thousand. While it doesn't excuse the Sheriff going and shaking hands with these guys, they never would have been able to lock the place down. Federal authorities should have surrounded that place 20 days ago.

Seriously.

For the first week, it was understandable that the FBI keep their distance.

But not day 20.

Not after they have destroyed private property and threatened members of the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom