• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDown

Banned
I was browsing FB and stumbled across a post from one of my old classmates from high school who has apparently gone up to Burns to join/support the milita. smh

Mac_Lane

Damn, those guys are getting worse

On Friday evening, Rodrique said she was horrified to learn that the militia, led by Nevada rancher Ammon Bundy, had paved a road through part of the wildlife sanctuary. That move came days after occupiers destroyed part of a US Fish and Wildlife Service fence, to allow cattle to freely graze on public lands the federal government controls.

Militiamen have also removed cameras at the refuge they claim the FBI was using for “surveillance”. LaVoy Finicum, an Arizona rancher and one of the main spokesmen for the militia, showed up to a Saturday morning press conference carrying a basket filled with black cameras.

“Do you not get tired of the mass surveillance in this country?” Finicum told reporters. “This, in my opinion, is unreasonable search.”

When is the federal government going to react properly and arrest those dimwits ?

European speaking here.

Hex

Banned
I don't fault anyone who thinks they're getting away with this because they're white, but I'm not sure that's the real reason. I think it's because no-one's really worried about what happens if they win. I mean, really, so they what, sell or hand out the rest of this land for cattle and what, everyone's done? No forced change of religion, or anything like that? The perceived stakes are lower.

With other issues you're talking about upheaving the very fabric of the US, like police brutality, yes there's a racial component there but I'm sure a lot of non racist people are supporting it anyways because just changing it would take so much effort, so much time, so much money and so many people would, for good reason, probably go to jail, powerful people, many popular, the country over would fall and take people with them if the country seriously tackled and held accountable police brutality. And everyone deals with this institution at points in their lives, how many people will deal with the BLM by comparison? I think a lot of people think they could up and abolish it and most Americans would never notice the difference.

Or lets take something all Americans deal with 100% that's somewhat similar, taxes. If cattle ranchers don't pay grazing fees again the country'd survive but what if everyday citizens did the same thing with the one federal government entity we all deal with once a year and didn't pay taxes? The scale'd be totally different, that's the end of the government.

So I think the scale of the effect they can reasonably have is another thing keeping them from deciding it's not worth the trouble, they risk stirring up all this violence for a relative handful of people in the country.

I also wouldn't be too surprised if they're holding back for the election, a siege between these loons and the federal government would be a PR boon for the Republicans that would totally fit alongside the narrative of Obama wants to take away your guns and all this other shit they peddle.

Problem is, that's bullshit. The signals it sends is poison. A few days ago a 12 year old girl was killed while her father fought being evicted for something like 15 hundred dollars in rent. I don't hold the cop responsible for that incident, we have rules in this country and she was an unfortunate bystander in that incident and there's a discussion there about gun culture and the like but ordinary citizens do not get away with this. Cliven Bundy owes, what, over a million dollars? Still probably chump change compared to all the poor people in the country who fall behind on rent but the law's gotta apply equally. What this shows people is that playing by the rules handicaps you. It always has to a degree but this is atrocious, on a whole different level. How do you compete for a better future when some can just opt out of government rule like this? If you're a cattle rancher and you got some guys grazing for free and you're paying your fair share every year you're a fucking sucker, that's what this message says. And it filters down to all of us, why fucking pay taxes? I could make good use of that money myself, it'd be a hell of a lot better for my future if I kept that money and you just covered my share, paying taxes is for suckers let the ones who want to pay pay.

And something I find more concerning is that these jokers are showing that they don't want to live with us. The country is changing, it ain't the 1800s anymore and the people like them are getting fewer and fewer yet they feel it their patriotic duty to go and enforce their will on a huge majority of the population that either doesn't support them at all at worst or doesn't give a shit either way at best. What kind of shit do we have to look forward to in the future as this kind of rural life becomes rarer and rarer, or when throwing subsidies at traditional cattle ranchers no longer keeps the business able to compete with cattle farms and shit and the country they know continues to change?

And what are we as normal citizens to do when people start threatening people who also may view themselves as patriots, take over land and hold mock trials of other citizens? Does it become our duty then to arm ourselves and fight them as they are wont to do to us?

There is a larger picture to look at here.
There are countless other nutjob groups licking their questionably dentally maintained chops watching this and how it is handled.
This is setting prescedent and will open the door to many other situations and not all of them will end peacefully .

And something I find more concerning is that these jokers are showing that they don't want to live with us. The country is changing, it ain't the 1800s anymore and the people like them are getting fewer and fewer yet they feel it their patriotic duty to go and enforce their will on a huge majority of the population that either doesn't support them at all at worst or doesn't give a shit either way at best. What kind of shit do we have to look forward to in the future as this kind of rural life becomes rarer and rarer, or when throwing subsidies at traditional cattle ranchers no longer keeps the business able to compete with cattle farms and shit and the country they know continues to change?

You are really making this out to be something grander and perhaps even more noble than it really is.
This is a money and land, and fortunately there are enough gullible fucks that are willing to take the bad guy government story so eagerly that they were looking for an excuse to jump in.

Jackpot

Banned
CYuwcqVUoAAsUJg.jpg

the new road^

Why aren't the media challenging the FBI on lack of action?

Do it right, or risk starting a conflagration so great, it cannot be stopped, leading to a bloody, brutal civil war. And do it right, because it is your duty to refuse those orders, under your oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. And that includes the domestic enemies now ‘occupying’ Washington D.C.'”

A tad ironic no?

Also kinda furthers the thought process that these guys really hated having a Democrat in office especially one who is black

Arkeband

Banned
I was browsing FB and stumbled across a post from one of my old classmates from high school who has apparently gone up to Burns to join/support the milita. smh

I had a coworker who belongs to a militia actually fly down to the Bundy ranch during that event, and when he came back early, I asked him how it went, and he just shook his head and went "I don't want to talk about it... Those people are morons."

jstripes

Banned
And even more threats to feds:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/mil...rs-unless-you-want-a-bloody-brutal-civil-war/

Yeah, fun time is over, get them out.

Writing on the Oath Keepers’ website, Stewart Rhodes warned ominously that “there will never again be a free Waco,” and that the Obama Administration risks “starting a conflagration so great, it cannot be stopped, leading to a bloody, brutal civil war.”

8pi5Cwu.png

But honestly, it's true, this year's election is probably why no one wants to deal with this. But I can't imagine these guys want to be on Hillary's radar if she gets into office.

besada

Banned
Isn't that statement coming from a different group entirely?
Yes. The statement came from the Oath Keepers, to whom some of the members of the militia used to belong. They have condemned the occupation of Malheur, but also feel left out of the drama, so they're stoking fires from the safety of their homes.

entremet

If you read about the Black Panthers and how the federal and state governments totally dismantled them via legislation and agent provocateurs.

Kinda crazy the differences of responses with these nationalist groups.

Slayven

Yes. The statement came from the Oath Keepers, to whom some of the members of the militia used to belong. They have condemned the occupation of Malheur, but also feel left out of the drama, so they're stoking fires from the safety of their homes.

So "Trigger fingers turned to Twitter Fingers"

Is the rationale for inaction against these terrorists due to the knowledge that these guys are lunatics that won't hesitate to start a blood bath?

Fathead

CYuwcqVUoAAsUJg.jpg

the new road^

Why aren't the media challenging the FBI on lack of action?

Because the dems won't fault Obama for not pressuring these idiots.

The pubs can't publically admit they support these idiots, while at the same time cant condemn them.

So no one important is gonna give an answer. And that kills the media story.

MikeDown

Banned
I had a coworker who belongs to a militia actually fly down to the Bundy ranch during that event, and when he came back early, I asked him how it went, and he just shook his head and went "I don't want to talk about it... Those people are morons."
Pretty much sums up my thoughts, I lean conservative on some issues, but some of these militia folks are crazy. My former classmate though hasn't had a history of making the best decisions, I remember he got suspended for a week for fucking some girl on our cross country teams in the bushes outside my schools main office. So far these people are costing my state money with their shenanigans, to put it very lightly and would love to see them gone.

The goofballs found some surveillance cameras and are surprised

The box, you see, is clearly marked “SCADA CIRCUIT” with a number. “SCADA” stands for “supervisory control and data acquisition.” it also has a clearly visible “WiFi in use” sticker, as well as a round antenna and an indicator light. From the ground, anyone with a mobile phone and Google could have told these nitwits exactly what the box was, but these morons just had to climb a ladder and destroy yet more government property, because ain’t nobody gonna spy on them.

Here's part 2: https://youtu.be/Sfdykc5RDcY Also, is that a black dude with them??

Cameras installed to monitor the government.

Removed because now the government could use them to monitor them

ololololol

Yeah, those are pretty clearly for monitoring that substation, so that's more shit they've broken for no good reason.

On a positive note: Oregon brothers launch anti-Bundy fundraising campaign

The campaign, founded by a pair of brothers from Oregon, is known as G.O.H.O.M.E, an acronym that stands for Getting the Occupiers of Historic Oregon Malheur Evicted.

Brothers Zach and Jake Klonoski launched the fundraiser Sunday. They hope to convince Bundy and crew to leave by collecting money for groups whose mission is antithetical to the occupiers' beliefs. Recipients of the donations include a gun control campaign, a group that supports the wildlife refuge the occupiers want to privatize, an organization that has labeled Bundy and company as extremists, and the Native American tribe whose members claim the refuge as their ancestral land.

Cameras installed to monitor the government.

Removed because now the government could use them to monitor them

ololololol
"Hidden" cameras? Why are they so conspicuous? Why wouldn't they use actual spy cameras that are actually hidden?

The government is spying on them? Spying on who? Out in the middle of nowhere?

They don't like the government watching them all the time? Are they doing something that they don't want other people to see? Stuff with farm animals perhaps?

They don't like being watched all the time, yet it's okay to have film crews following these attention whores all day?

How do these idiots sleep at night when they think literally everything is a government conspiracy?

Show us on the doll where the government touched you, morons...

mAcOdIn

"Hidden" cameras? Why are they so conspicuous? Why wouldn't they use actual spy cameras that are actually hidden?

The government is spying on them? Spying on who? Out in the middle of nowhere?

They don't like the government watching them all the time? Are they doing something that they don't want other people to see? Stuff with farm animals perhaps?

They don't like being watched all the time, yet it's okay to have film crews following these attention whores all day?

How do these idiots sleep at night when they think literally everything is a government conspiracy?

Show us on the doll where the government touched you, morons...
Ehh.

As armed people currently illegally occupying a federal building they'd be fools to leave any surveillance cameras in their vicinity, no matter the reason for their initial installation.

Ehh.

As armed people currently illegally occupying a federal building they'd be fools to leave any surveillance cameras in their vicinity, no matter the reason for their initial installation.

First of all, everybody knows who these idiots are. Second of all, if you're ashamed of your criminal acts, cover the camera up, don't destroy even more property that isn't yours.

Oregon militants sit silently as furious residents shame them for ruining their community.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/wat...dents-shame-them-for-ruining-their-community/

“It has been around for 20 years and it was the Republicans who put them in place,” she said. “For 20 years mostly inner-city, poor, minority men have been unjustly jailed for endless sentences… The Hammonds committed the crime, and they got the sentence that was appropriate for that crime. And it is very sad, but it is sad for everybody in America who has an unfair sentence. Not just the Hammonds.”

On point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom