• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable: Lost Chapters also on Xbox this fall

suikodan

TORONTO, ON -- July 8, 2005 -- Microsoft Game Studios announced today that Fable: The Lost Chapters, currently in development for Windows and slated to release this September, will also be available in late Fall for Xbox®. Fable: The Lost Chapters builds upon the original best-selling Fable with loads of new content including new regions, quests and enhanced story elements that further enhance the mystical world of Albion. Fable: The Lost Chapters gives players the chance to fight new monsters, use epic spells to obliterate huge numbers of enemies, don new armour, wield additional weapons and interact with friends and foes using amazing new expressions.

The original Fable has sold more than 1.5 million copies and is highly acclaimed, earning numerous awards such as Game of the Year and RPG of the Year. Fable: The Lost Chapters is being developed by world-renowned Lionhead Studios and will be offered as a Platinum Hits title for Xbox at a suggested retail price of $29.99 (CDN).

In this groundbreaking role-playing adventure game from Lionhead Studios, every action determines a character’s skills, appearance and morality. A character’s life story is created from childhood through adulthood and on to old age. One can grow from an inexperienced child into the most powerful being in the world, spoken of by all and immortalized in legend. As additional story and side quests await, so too does the path of righteousness, as well as the life of evil. With every choice, a character transforms into a reflection of his actions and decisions. Age leaves characters wizened and battle leaves characters scarred in the world of Fable: The Lost Chapters. For more information, please visit the Fable: The Lost Chapters site at www.xbox.com/en-ca/FableTLC.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Fuck Fable in the ass with a big rubber dick. Thank you very much.

Boy do I ever regret buying that game. Even after it was only 30 bucks.

Mrbob

Wario64 said:
no thanks

re-releasing games with new content seems to be the new thing now

At least it is being sold at Greatest Hits price.

I'll buy this for Xbox if it truly is sold for $19.99.

Jeff-DSA

Fable: Lost Cause

Ugh, don't make the pain continue...

I really, really, really wanted to like Fable, I was just so severly disappointed that I couldn't.

StRaNgE

Banned
i never understand all the Gaf hate on this game.

i played through it 3 times and if this is similar yet different with more content i might at least look it over.

pj

Banned
I think I'm the only person on earth who followed the game from 2002-release and wasn't disappointed by it.. I am, however, disappointed with lionhead for announcing the improved pc version right after the xbox version came out, and for LYING ON THEIR WEBSITE ABOUT THE LENGTH OF THE GAME. "30 hours if you play straight through" MY ASS

I'll be all over this for $20, especially if they improved the load times and framerate..

Ranger X

Dr_Cogent said:
Fuck Fable in the ass with a big rubber dick. Thank you very much.

Boy do I ever regret buying that game. Even after it was only 30 bucks.

LOL You made me remember that i tried to play that game while drunk last year. I thought maybe it would be fun somewhere in that situation.... it is not. :lol

pj325is said:
I think I'm the only person on earth who followed the game from 2002-release and wasn't disappointed by it.. I am, however, disappointed with lionhead for announcing the improved pc version right after the xbox version came out, and for LYING ON THEIR WEBSITE ABOUT THE LENGTH OF THE GAME. "30 hours if you play straight through" MY ASS

I'll be all over this for $20, especially if they improved the load times and framerate..

How could you not be dissapointed? The game was hyped to be God and turned out to be an OK action RPG. It was like Shenmue but 10 times worse.

And I like Shenmue, but the final product didn't meet the vision of what it was supposed to be.

StRaNgE said:
i never understand all the Gaf hate on this game.

i played through it 3 times and if this is similar yet different with more content i might at least look it over.

It's simply a magnet game. Much like Killzone.

There will be people who pump it up like the greatest thing since sliced bread and others that tear it down just as badly. When games get as hyped as these were, it's seems hard for people to be ambivalent and/or non polarized.

And for the record, it got A TON of rave/very good reviews from many on GAF

Dr_Cogent

Banned
As usual, Peter M promises the

moonphoto.jpg

and instead delivers

.....well - I don't want to post an image of what he delivers. Suffice to say, it's a moon of a different kind.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'll pick up the PC version.

One of the few current gen titles I plan on buying.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Complete and total lack of exploration for starters. Rails, rails, rails.

Combat is pretty boring, the story is not very interesting, the graphics seem good, but the shadows really suck, .... I could go on all day about what I don't like about it.

I don't have that "I am looking forward to playing the game" feeling.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I like the game, but it definitely didn't live up to my personal expectations. I don't know if I want to play it again ever. For $20 I might.

I agree very much with sonycowboy's take.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Fable wasnt a bad game at all. The GAF hate has been blown up with a helium pump. Probably the same pump Peter used to hype the game but still :p

I've said before that Fable is one of my favorite RPGs of the generation...But I'm not paying money to get the same game with a few differences here and there.

GhaleonEB

Yann said:
Like 99% of the games out there?

Stick to RPG's and your answer is a big no. The feeling of discovery and exploration is critical to a quest oriented game. You know, moments when you realize all the places you want to go and explore and the options you have to do so. Fable had zero of that. Nada.

Jeff-DSA

I don't care what changes they make to Fable, I'm not touching it. It had annoying voices (everybody sounded like a drunk idiot), bad world design, horrible character design, crappy fighting, a healing potion every screen, way too easy difficulty, not enough side quests, bad balance of power in moves and items, stupid loads, confined areas, linear as linear can be objectives, and bosses as easy as common enemies.

Fable didn't just fall short of what was promised, it fell short on just about everything else that makes a good game...uh, erm, good.

Docpan

Lost Chapters should be given to us for free via DLC, imo.

We deserve it, after getting screwed in the ass.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Fable wasnt a bad game at all. The GAF hate has been blown up with a helium pump. Probably the same pump Peter used to hype the game but still :p

And there in lies the dig.

Docpan said:
Lost Chapters should be given to us for free via DLC, imo.

We deserve it, after getting screwed in the ass.

See post #4. :lol

robo_robo

ToyMachine228 said:
I've said before that Fable is one of my favorite RPGs of the generation...But I'm not paying money to get the same game with a few differences here and there.

It depends on the content, if we get has much content has an expension pack would offer on pc, why not? You can also sell your original version and get a couple bucks back. Of course if they add almost nothing it's really pointless.

pj

Banned
Bacon said:
How could you not be dissapointed? The game was hyped to be God and turned out to be an OK action RPG. It was like Shenmue but 10 times worse.

And I like Shenmue, but the final product didn't meet the vision of what it was supposed to be.

Because I didn't read one preview in 2002 and base my expectations of the final game on it.

jedimike

Depending on what extras it includes, I might buy it. I'm pretty much in next gen mode right now, but if September rolls around and I need something to keep me occupied, an updated Fable for $20 would certainly do the trick.

Future

If this game had any problems, it wasn't that there weren't enough quests or regions. Maybe they could make it more interesting to go the "good" or "evil" paths, but I'm not sure that would make it more fun either.

I thought that might be coming to Xbox. I'll be getting it as soon as it releases, been delaying picking up Fable while waiting to hear about anything definitive on Lost Chapters.

raYne

For those interested in the additions, check out things like the IGNPC previews and similar sites.

The Xbox version should have the same content as the PC version. More side quests, clothes/armor, weapons, new areas some of which were dropped from the original (Dragon Island etc) and generally much more stuff to do. One preview said it was esentially 1/3 larger than the original. There are also some gameplay changes mentioned as well, but keep in mind that they are previews so they didn't get into much detail.

I hope they improve the loading though, that's really the main problem I had with it.

GhaleonEB

The should title it, "Fable: The Rest of the Game".

Updating a console title with expantion packs released on PC, like Morrowwind, strikes me as a perfectly valid way to re-release a console game. Releasing a more finished version of the game in line with the PC release just screams, "NOW we're actually done. Wanna buy it again?"

So, 1/3 larger means about 14 hours instead of 11?

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
So, 1/3 larger means about 14 hours instead of 11?
The one third larger could very well just mean landspace in general and there is quite a bit of subquests that can be fitted into it. Also, keep in mind that these added areas should also contribute to the main plot as well, further extending the game.

That said, I didn't rush my way through the game either of the two times I played through it so the coveted "11 hours!" is relative.

VerTiGo

Banned
Fable is a complete waste of time and money. It seriously is one of the crappiest games I've ever made the mistake of purchasing for the Xbox. I swear, I enjoyed Sudeki more. Why? Because its gameplay didn't feel broken and it wasn't 10 hours long.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
The one third larger could very well just mean landspace in general and there is quite a bit of subquests that can be fitted into it. Also, keep in mind that these added areas should also contribute to the main plot as well, further extending the game.

That said, I didn't rush my way through the game either of the two times I played through it so the coveted "11 hours!" is relative.

I did every quest my alignment allowed and still finished in 11 hours. I deliberately tried not to teleport, but the load times got to me in the 2nd half and I broke down and zipped around.

When you build an entire feature - teleportation - around your lousy load times, you know your game has issues.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Paladin69 said:
Aren't you one of those people who is going to re-buy the PS2 version of RE4?

why does that matter? i don't want to buy fable, now i can't buy RE4? or Ninja Gaiden Black? Or MGS3:S?

fable doesn't interest me

no thanks

Prine

Banned
SOLD!

So it looks like Conker is not my last Xbox game.

One of the best games of last year. Glad to see it got the sales it deserved

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Today, Microsoft Game Studios stated that it is bringing Fable: The Lost Chapters to the Xbox as well. To appease owners of the original Fable, The Lost Chapters will retail as a Platinum Hits release and sell for $19.99. The Xbox version is expected to have all the extras included in the PC version, which amounts to nine new regions, 16 new quests, and several new weapons, spells, items, and expressions.

hmm, so it is $19.99

but is it worth buying it with the platinum hits label?

reilly am cry

_Angelus_

Banned
Well I was hoping that the PC version would make it over to the old Black Box,haha this is awesome news now. I'm so there for this release. More adventures in the Fable world spell fucking greatness.:)

Paladin69

Wario64 said:
why does that matter? i don't want to buy fable, now i can't buy RE4? or Ninja Gaiden Black? Or MGS3:S?

fable doesn't interest me

no thanks

Well it sounded like you were downplaying the notion of re-releasing games with new content, yet at the same time you are going to re-buy RE4 on PS2 for its' new content.

Azih

On top of everything else Fable also has the worst merchant system ever and the 2nd dumbest NPCs in the gaming universe. Morrowind edges it there. BUT OH LOOK YOU CAN FART! REVOLUTION!

Top Bottom