• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable New Trailer Revealed | Xbox Showcase 2023

SaintALia

You want gameplay now for a likely fall 2025 game? Why? So you can trash how last gen it looks?

You generally get gameplay for games 6-12 months out tops from most studio's. Otherwise they look like shit or are "in engine" ie not the game.
I wanted gameplay. It and Starfield were what I actually expected gameplay of. Didn't have to be a 45 minute presentation of Starfield, but even small snippets of the gameplay would have been nice.

Showing gameplay for games that are years off isn't far fetched either.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How long before this screen is turned into the new Last of Us 2 (Abby scene)
2NuTnox.jpg

clarky

Gold Member
I'm actually astounded that people think this isn't in-game footage. Like, does it look THAT good to you that you believe it's CGI or bullshots? lol. It's in-game with modified camera takes for cinematic storytelling, like those Uncharted games. Here I created some gifs for you naysayers to contemplate.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I wanted gameplay. It and Starfield were what I actually expected gameplay of. Didn't have to be a 45 minute presentation of Starfield, but even small snippets of the gameplay would have been nice.

Showing gameplay for games that are years off isn't far fetched either.
See the above post for some small snippets of gameplay.

Last edited:
Look, I admire what Xbox has been doing to turn things around, I really do. But this? This was just another pre-rendered cinematic trailer and fat man Greenberg literally promised no CGI stuff and In engine stuff can be deceptive and yes, I saw the 5-7 seconds of gameplay in the trailer, but at this rate, 7 seconds are not enough when most of the footage was pre-rendered anyway. You can't fool me more than twice. The humour looks great, but that protagonist man. Her character reminds me of alloy's character from Zero drawn, as bland and interesting as a wet piece of cardboard. Game looks far off in terms of release.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Not at all what I was expecting. I miss the original Fable and how that world felt. Willing to wait and see legit gameplay but this trailer did nothing for me.

SaintALia

See the above post for some small snippets of gameplay.
That doesn't look like gameplay. Looks like an in-engine vertical slice. Or is it officially confirmed to be gamplay with UI removed? Actually, maybe even verical slice is pushing it and it's actually just an in-engine render.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Why do western game developers hate beautiful women?

Qa8Fxs8.jpg

Am i the only one who doesn't give a fuck? We don't even know if there's a character builder.

I find the face to fit also with the tongue in cheek humour. Like a bit derpy. A bit like a medieval women wouldn't look 10/10 hot by today's standards.

Could look like this

maxresdefault.jpg

You're kicking chickens and drinking beer. Why so serious?

Eotheod

Looks amazing, and I absolutely love that Richard Ayoade is in this. Such a good actor.
the top comment on YouTube for the trailer is saying the ESG score must be incredibly high for this game 😝
I swear, some people are being absolute obtuse idiots when it comes to ESG. I've said it before and I'll say it again, ESG is not this buzzword everyone thinks it is when it comes to social appeasing. It's quite literally an acronym for government reform, one of the most belong red tap acronyms you could create.

Seriously, trust me as I work with ESG-based projects due to local government and overall government requiring it now for grants. It is the most mundane shit you'll ever work with, yet somehow it has been co-opt for virtue signalling the brain dead idiots.

People are more precious about being offended by an acronym then they are of the supposed acronym's intentions. How ironic.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
That doesn't look like gameplay. Looks like an in-engine vertical slice. Or is it officially confirmed to be gamplay with UI removed? Actually, maybe even verical slice is pushing it and it's actually just an in-engine render.
I think some of you are having a hard time understanding or distinguishing in-engine and in-game. So, I'll do my best to explain what that means. If a trailer says in-engine, you can expect that footage to be pretty much all pre-rendered, this is done using the game engine, so you'll find game assets that will represent what the game may resemble in the end. This trailer however is in-game, meaning that not only is what you're seeing in-game assets, it's also realtime and NOT pre-rendered. So in other words, if you think this looks too good to represent gameplay, wait until they polish this even further.

Raonak

Banned
The waifu begging is insanely cringe.

The character looks weird, but I think that fits the charm of this kinda game.

Looked nice graphically, can't really say much more because it feels more like a concept trailer rather than an actual game atm.
Either this game is very far out, or there's gonna be a downgrade in actual gameplay.

xbots fans at it again with their delusions. First it was: "they're going to show gameplay! 100%" Now they're doubling down with: "it's 100% in-game because Microsoft says so and because the fingers and the shadows!"

Lmfao. These people never seen cinematics that use game engines before? Holy fuck.
The amount of people here who are in complete disbelief that this is gameplay and in-engine cinematics from the game is so strange to me.

Just a few weeks ago, before Sony had their own showcase, 99% of GAF was undoubtedly convinced that the image below was how the entirety of Spiderman 2 would look while playing on local PS5s 😂

marvels-spider-man-2-peter-parker-mech-suit-official.jpg

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I.hope everyone who shit on aloy hold the same standards here - that's one ugly main character. Everything else looked fine for a cinematic.
well the difference is you won't be playing as her. There will be a character creator.

SaintALia

I think some of you are having a hard time understanding or distinguishing in-engine and in-game. So, I'll do my best to explain what that means. If a trailer says in-engine, you can expect that footage to be pretty much all pre-rendered, this is done using the game engine, so you'll find game assets that will represent what the game may resemble in the end. This trailer however is in-game, meaning that not only is what you're seeing in-game assets, it's also realtime and NOT pre-rendered. So in other words, if you think this looks too good to represent gameplay, wait until they polish this even further.
I think you are completely missing my point of 'gameplay footage'.

As in, I don't actually care what the game actually looks like(graphics wise). I want to see 'gameplay footage', as in what the actual gameplay will be like.

I figured it was in-engine, but that it was a vertical slice as well, if at that, and not actual gameplay footage, unless you can actually confirm said footage was actual gameplay footage with UI removed(which it did not look like at all)?

near

Gold Member

As in, I don't actually care what the game actually looks like(graphics wise). I want to see 'gameplay footage', as in what the actual gameplay will be like.

I figured it was in-engine, but that it was a vertical slice as well, if at that, and not actual gameplay footage, unless you can actually confirm said footage was actual gameplay footage with UI removed(which it did not look like at all)?
I think it isn't difficult to deduce what aspects of the trailer would look like with a UI. It is confirmed as in-game, I don't believe any part of this trailer is in-engine. MC character throwing the fireball to me looks like a playable segment. Or where she is climbing the desk. The game has been in development for at least 5 years now, I'm convinced there is gameplay there in the trailer. They'll eventually release another trailer with a HUD to appease you, we will wait until then.

clarky

Gold Member
Right ok then, So your after a totally polished slice of gameplay that looks like the finished article from a game that's likely 2 years out.

Look at Starfield a just a year ago, it looked rough as. What a difference a year makes. Imagine what it looked like 24 months ago?

Your asking for something that simply doesn't exist yet.

Edit: turns out its completely in game running on a series X. I stand corrected, in which case then it looks amazing.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

You can literally see the gameplay when she is fighting the giant at the end. It's all in game footage.

Trunx81

Gold Member
The waifu begging is insanely cringe.

The character looks weird, but I think that fits the charm of this kinda game.

Looked nice graphically, can't really say much more because it feels more like a concept trailer rather than an actual game atm.
Either this game is very far out, or there's gonna be a downgrade in actual gameplay.
Waiting for “you can customize your player character how you want it” news.

Neo_game

This game is at least 2yrs away from release and they are not in a position to show it, otherwise they would not have come up with this trailer. 🤷‍♂️ Horizon Zerdo dawn announcement trailer is the way to show an actual gameplay trailer.

Makes me want to play Fable 2 again. Unfortunately, I really hate the PS3/360 lighting in that period of games. Oh well, I will bite the bullet anyways.

Please tell me I can create my own character? The model they went with for the main character was hella ugly. In fact it looked more like a man in a dress than a woman. Bizarre.

Last edited:

SaintALia

I think it isn't difficult to deduce what aspects of the trailer would look like with a UI. It is confirmed as in-game, I don't believe any part of this trailer is in-engine. MC character throwing the fireball to me looks like a playable segment. Or where she is climbing the desk. The game has been in development for at least 5 years now, I'm convinced there is gameplay there in the trailer. They'll eventually release another trailer with a HUD to appease you, we will wait until then.
Confirmed where and by whom exactly? Because that information was not available in the trailer. Do you have a source or link to that, from the dev or MS?

Also, I mean yeah, vertical slices will have bits and bobs of what COULD be in the gameplay and bear some semblance to gameplay, but isn't actually IS gamplay footage. That's what vertical slices are for. But even then, I'm not even sure if this actually qualifies as a vertical slice and is not just an in-engine render.

clarky

Gold Member
Confirmed where and by whom exactly? Because that information was not available in the trailer. Do you have a source or link to that, from the dev or MS?

Also, I mean yeah, vertical slices will have bits and bobs of what COULD be in the gameplay and bear some semblance to gameplay, but isn't actually IS gamplay footage. That's what vertical slices are for. But even then, I'm not even sure if this actually qualifies as a vertical slice and is not just an in-engine render.

SaintALia

Right ok then, So your after a totally polished slice of gameplay that looks like the finished article from a game that's likely 2 years out.

Look at Starfield a just a year ago, it looked rough as. What a difference a year makes. Imagine what it looked like 24 months ago?

Your asking for something that simply doesn't exist yet.

Edit: turns out its completely in game running on a series X. I stand corrected, in which case then it looks amazing.

WHAT? Lol.

I said I wanted to see gameplay, even it it means just snippets of it.

What about this is so confusing ore requires such a defense force???

Do people not realise how long it's been since the last Fable game and the last promising potential title got cancelled with it's gameplay deviating from the previous version and the mechanics that Fable has and the potential changes that could possibly be in store?

Yes of course I want to see SOME gameplay. Doesn't have to be much as I said before, but some would be nice. Either way I can wait, but some gameplay would have been nice to see.

SaintALia

First response nails it for me:
"you guys nailed it! this seriously looks insane! can you share any more details on what exactly "in-game" means here? are we talking engine running real time on hardware or pre-rendered in-engine scenes? because this is a new milestone in visuals!!!"

Except that I don't actually care if the visuals actually look like this or not. I just want to see how the game plays and the new or old mechanics introduced.

Top Bottom