• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Next Gen Update Performance Review (PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S)

sendit

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Xbox really screwed themselves with the power narative prior to launch.

Are we still really on that 3 years after launch? Both machines put out very similar performance. Both machines sell for about the same price. Wow, it's crazy a console manufacturer positioned thier console as the best, only been done by every company for every console since the beggining of time.

Oop9MT6.png

Are you still on Nintendo for saying the Nes was better than the sega master system?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Acquiring Bethesda for such a price tag is slowly but surely turning out to be a major blunder from Microsoft.

Their reputation as a careless and incompetent developer was well established when Microsoft bought them out and it’s not like they were still consistently putting amazing games like they were from 2002 to 2011. No, they were well on the decline, yet Microsoft still paid top dollar for them.

This, "update" is a disgrace and I’ll laugh when Starfield ends up running better on PS5 than on the "world’s most powerful console". Good thing PlayStation players will just recoil in embarrassment upon playing it and wonder what kind of trash Bethesda has been putting since 2016.

CDPR at least put in some effort despite the bugs and TW3’s update was a proper one that makes the game look far better than even Starfield, let alone Fallout 4. Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for just breaking the game with almost no benefits.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Are we still really on that 3 years after launch? Both machines put out very similar performance. Both machines sell for about the same price. Wow, it's crazy a console manufacturer positioned thier console as the best, only been done by every company for every console since the beggining of time.

Oop9MT6.png

Are you still on Nintendo for saying the Nes was better than the sega master system?

Microsoft and Aaron Greenberg couldn't shut up about Tflop numbers, CU cores, RNDA2 and 60 fps being the standard. Xbox content creators made it even worse by spreading FUD about the PS5, so it's just funny to see in hindsight, especially since Bethesda is a first party studio now.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Microsoft and Aaron Greenberg couldn't shut up about Tflop numbers, CU cores and 60 fps being the standard. Xbox content creators made it even worse by spreading FUD about the PS5, so it's just funny to see in hindsight, especially since Bethesda is a first party studio now.

Seriously, it's literally thier job to make the console sound better than the competition.
And every single console maker has been doing it forever.
I guess they should have just said it's "ok" and we aren't excited about what it can do.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Oop9MT6.png

I have absolutely no dog in this fight but if Xbox had stopped there and just rescinded their statement later, no one would have cared. Aaron Greenberg couldn't shut the fuck up, making lofty promises they couldn't keep such as 60fps when 3 of their major first-party games don't even have a 60fps mode. Xbox are the ones who pushed the power narrative both officially and through their countless shills. "9 TFLOPs lololol", Series S has a faster CPU than the PS5, internal communications email celebrating their "win" in the power department, and so on.

This is simply karmic justice and as a neutral observer, it's a sight to behold.

THE DUCK

I have absolutely no dog in this fight but if Xbox had stopped there and just rescinded their statement later, no one would have cared. Aaron Greenberg couldn't shut the fuck up, making lofty promises they couldn't keep such as 60fps when 3 of their major first-party games don't even have a 60fps mode. Xbox are the ones who pushed the power narrative both officially and through their countless shills. "9 TFLOPs lololol", Series S has a faster CPU than the PS5, internal communications email celebrating their "win" in the power department, and so on.

This is simply karmic justice and as a neutral observer, it's a sight to behold.

3 years later and a dead horse.......

THE DUCK

This one is better yet, loads in the blink of an eye (sorry most of games still take 10-20 seconds......)

And where is all my 8k games mentioned?
One game?

b84ozI0.png

sendit

Oop9MT6.png

Difference is, Nintendo had more games people wanted to play. I didn't even know what the hell the Sega Master System was until I looked it up, and I had a NES as my first console.

Skifi28

3 years later and a dead horse.......
It's not that long ago and we' re in the same hardware generation. It's still fun to laugh at a few people for their embarrassing posts.

Funny people are judging console power based on 8 year old games as well as indie titles.

Unless both systems are pushed to their limits, no one will know how powerful each really is.

Amount of work needed to do that and money involved is simply too much and games won’t make that much back.

So expect mildly optimised games with one console performing better than other based on luck.

Darsxx82

I definitely think that they have totally ignored its users , their console and what their Studios do.

It doesn't matter that it is an updated last generation game, it is the image that you dont care.
Not even Third Party Studios dare to release such infamous patches on one platform vs another. It's not just the message you send to your own users, it's the one you send to those Studios Third parties that they no longer have an obligation to bother making the best possible version for the platform if the owner of it doesn't bother.
How do you explain to your users the situation where 3rd party Studios and editors manage to make many games that work better in XSX than in the competition despite the sales situation and yet you offer a worse product even in content?

It is a disconcerting situation because in this case we are not talking about the minimal performance differences that sometimes favor one or the other, these are complete game/visual modes that they promise and from what seems have been completely ignored. And the worst thing is that from the response on Twitter it gives the impression that they do not intend to correct it....

This is more MSs problem than anyone else's. They spent more time talking the box up as the best place to play legacy games than anything else in first 2 years.
Hell that still gets brought up as one of the main advantages today.
It is? I mean it offers backwards compatibility and other features so it is best console to play old games.

Dunno why anyone would call that a “problem “.

This one is better yet, loads in the blink of an eye (sorry most of games still take 10-20 seconds......)

And where is all my 8k games mentioned?
One game?

b84ozI0.png
Games do load in the blink of an eye (if they make use of Sonys loading API. It’s not Sony fault if developers don’t implement the feature themselves. There are plenty examples of how blinky games can load, but if you actively refuse to use the API you can’t blame Sony for it

Last edited:

Mr Moose

How dare they market their console.
Remember when PS3 was a supercomputer on a paper but barely better than Xbox 360 in practice?
It's all marketing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Microsoft and Aaron Greenberg couldn't shut up about Tflop numbers, CU cores, RNDA2 and 60 fps being the standard. Xbox content creators made it even worse by spreading FUD about the PS5, so it's just funny to see in hindsight, especially since Bethesda is a first party studio now.
Why is it funny. The XSX has higher specs in the major components, but as any honest PC gamer who has done a marginal upgrade in GPU or CPU will tell you, you can't really notice these differences outside of benchmarks.

It is marketing. Some games actually do run better on XSX, but the PS5 version is still good enough. Personally I have had my PS5 crash on Sony 1st party games more than I thought would ever happen on a console.

Lysandros

Why is it funny. The XSX has higher specs in the major components, but as any honest PC gamer who has done a marginal upgrade in GPU or CPU will tell you, you can't really notice these differences outside of benchmarks.
What do you mean by that?

So PS5 gets 4K quality at 30/40Hz, 1440p quality at 60, and a dynamic 4K performance mode with reduced settings at 60. Xbox just has performance mode at the moment? At least the Series S resolution boost is working, got to take the small victories where you can with Bethesda. Needs patching surelt, then again the recent DF clip for this patch opened with Rich discussing a tweet from Bethesda saying the Xbox version is working as intended 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom