• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Next Gen Update Performance Review (PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S)

Kilau

Gold Member
ILQm6OA.jpeg

JackMcGunns

Xbox really screwed themselves with the power narative prior to launch.

I don't think there were ads claiming this, just a revelation of specs by both platforms and the fanboy comments that ensued afterwards, although please do correct me if I'm wrong. I don't recall Microsoft saying 2x more powerful than the PS5 like Sony did with the PS3 vs Xbox 360, or 10x the power of the Dreamcast like they did to Sega.

"Xbox 360 is a mere Xbox 1.5, not a true next gen console like the PS3". Ken Kutaragi

That being said, Xbox One vs PS4 was an embarrassment. Not only was the PS4 more efficient, cheaper, but vastly more powerful. Now in contrast, the Xbox Series X design is more power efficient, smaller and the same price with an edge even if slight in power. Talk about a massive comeback.

Sony is a hardware manufacturer that should've been leaving Xbox in the dust with this latest design, but they didn't. The best Phil spencer has said is that he's happy with what the team has come up, we're no longer in the positition we were with Xbox One vs PS4.

As for the head to heads. two things happening with SX, developers have 2 machines to make games for, Series X and Series S, problem 2, most games are being developed with the PS5 as the lead platform, but even despite that, some games like Alan Wake 2, despite the PS5 being the lead platform, have ended up better on Series X, so the potential is there.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wait, isn't the source for that image, this reddit post?

Ok.......on the ps5 box itself........

YFPLubG.jpeg

Lightning speed (about the blink of an eye) and breathtaking immersion........pretty sure I never gasped at the immersion on a ps5.

MikeM

This engine was good 15 years ago... hopefully Bethesda dumps it for the next series of games...
Im playing Fallout 4 GOTY on PC right now and the load times between places still is a dumpster fire on a SSD
Apparently the issue on PC is if you cap frames then the load times suffer. Such a dogshit engine lol
Acquiring Bethesda for such a price tag is slowly but surely turning out to be a major blunder from Microsoft.

Their reputation as a careless and incompetent developer was well established when Microsoft bought them out and it’s not like they were still consistently putting amazing games like they were from 2002 to 2011. No, they were well on the decline, yet Microsoft still paid top dollar for them.

This, "update" is a disgrace and I’ll laugh when Starfield ends up running better on PS5 than on the "world’s most powerful console". Good thing PlayStation players will just recoil in embarrassment upon playing it and wonder what kind of trash Bethesda has been putting since 2016.

CDPR at least put in some effort despite the bugs and TW3’s update was a proper one that makes the game look far better than even Starfield, let alone Fallout 4. Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for just breaking the game with almost no benefits.
I have always felt MS buying these publishers was always an insurance play if they got out of hardware. They still want those gaming dollars, but will they always want the hardware hits to P/L?

The “most powerful console” thing obviously did not pan out. Are the tools really that inefficient?

GHG

Seriously, it's literally thier job to make the console sound better than the competition.
And every single console maker has been doing it forever.
I guess they should have just said it's "ok" and we aren't excited about what it can do.

this is why you fail star wars GIF

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
same price
Not really, PS5 DE existed at launch for $100 less and the same exact performance target... Your post also seems to hint to MS not pushing strongly the performance advantage narrative they thought they had which is a bit silly to try to pretend that. Nobody but other fellow Xbox super fans in denial would buy that (many Xbox fans likely do not buy that either). Fill your boots mate, I do not even think you believe that anymore...

Katatonic

So basically, the whole series x power narrative was just you're typical marketing. Ok

Just like Jussie Smollett, they just keep lying.

DanielG165

It’s certainly a true statement. People whinging about the marketing strategies of billion-trillion dollar corporations to sell their products, 4 years later, is indeed old and worn out. Xbox and its Twitter fans used the power narrative, Sony and its Twitter fans used the magical SSD narrative. In reality, what we have here from both sides (PS5 Pro non withstanding) are two, now medium end equivalent hardware, consoles that are indeed quite similar and closer than what we were led to believe.

I don’t need a PS5 to run the likes of Rift Apart, Returnal, or Forbidden West; my PC runs and loads those games just fine without the magic SSD. And, the Series X’s mighty power can be replicated and exceeded elsewhere with not too much trouble. Does that mean either machine is bad? Not at all. Them having performance differences across varying games should be merely be an interesting conversation, not grounds for the same tired arguments and “points” every time a thread like this shows up.

THE DUCK

200w.webp

Oh well.

That 40 fps option is nice tho.

Also...is THE DUCK THE DUCK in the middle of a meltdown? MS will be ok.

Its ok.

I'm not melting down at all, just pointing out the obvious hypocracy. We can't have a performance comparison between consoles 3 and a half years after launch without people pointing to xbox overselling thier console specs at launch, something that has been done by every console maker ever. Ok, so they went overboard in Twitter, but can we get over ourselves now?

The duck in kings post after yours is cute.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So basically, the whole series x power narrative was just you're typical marketing. Ok

Just like Jussie Smollett, they just keep lying.

As a boastful man once said, different games hit bottlenecks differently.

The DF Direct video, they talk about the way this game uses tessellation for its GI, it would favor the faster GPU clock of the PS5 more, not that there's much of a difference other than 1~2 FPS in stress areas.

The missing 40hz / working quality toggle are the bigger issues here, which are not tech-related but a QC oversight.

King Dazzar

I'm not melting down at all, just pointing out the obvious hypocracy. We can't have a performance comparison between consoles 3 and a half years after launch without people pointing to xbox overselling thier console specs at launch, something that has been done by every console maker ever. Ok, so they went overboard in Twitter, but can we get over ourselves now?

The duck in kings post after yours is cute.
There will always be teasing, because most peoples expectations (or at least mine were) that XSX would be a noticeably stronger performer. I genuinely believe Xbox believed it themselves too. But then it failed to be the runaway performance king expected. So we had Xbox shills telling us that issues were down to development kits and tools. Yet here we are with Xbox owned studios seemingly getting it more right on competitors hardware than their own. I feel its on Xbox why people are having a laugh about it all.

Last edited:

onQ123

As a boastful man once said, different games hit bottlenecks differently.

The DF Direct video, they talk about the way this game uses tessellation for its GI, it would favor the faster GPU clock of the PS5 more, not that there's much of a difference other than 1~2 FPS in stress areas.

The missing 40hz / working quality toggle are the bigger issues here, which are not tech-related but a QC oversight.
Wasn't boasting just coaching

Last edited:

Loope

It’s certainly a true statement. People whinging about the marketing strategies of billion-trillion dollar corporations to sell their products, 4 years later, is indeed old and worn out. Xbox and its Twitter fans used the power narrative, Sony and its Twitter fans used the magical SSD narrative. In reality, what we have here from both sides (PS5 Pro non withstanding) are two, now medium end equivalent hardware, consoles that are indeed quite similar and closer than what we were led to believe.

I don’t need a PS5 to run the likes of Rift Apart, Returnal, or Forbidden West; my PC runs and loads those games just fine without the magic SSD. And, the Series X’s mighty power can be replicated and exceeded elsewhere with not too much trouble. Does that mean either machine is bad? Not at all. Them having performance differences across varying games should be merely be an interesting conversation, not grounds for the same tired arguments and “points” every time a thread like this shows up.
It kind of depends on the age bracket they're in.

kiphalfton

Funny people are judging console power based on 8 year old games as well as indie titles.

Unless both systems are pushed to their limits, no one will know how powerful each really is.

Amount of work needed to do that and money involved is simply too much and games won’t make that much back.

So expect mildly optimised games with one console performing better than other based on luck.

What else are people supposed to judge it on, when that's what makes up 95% of the game library.

Gambit2483

Meh, got the GOTY (physical) edition for Series X for $20 bucks and I'm more than satisfied with the results. Hopefully Bethesda acknowledges any issues and addresses them but either way I'm fine with what they gave XSX.

Microsoft and Aaron Greenberg couldn't shut up about Tflop numbers, CU cores, RNDA2 and 60 fps being the standard. Xbox content creators made it even worse by spreading FUD about the PS5, so it's just funny to see in hindsight, especially since Bethesda is a first party studio now.
No, it's just you being ultra sensitive because Xbox.

THE DUCK

How many decades ago did you have to go back to dig that one out?

Some of you hardcore Xbox fans are hilarious.

I'm not hardcore at all, I spend more time on other systems than my xboxers this gen. Took about 20 seconds to find, I went back far back to make a point that since forever, eggagerating console power has been done and accepted practice.
I can find you one for every generation on every console, if you like something more contemporary.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Are we still really on that 3 years after launch? Both machines put out very similar performance. Both machines sell for about the same price. Wow, it's crazy a console manufacturer positioned thier console as the best, only been done by every company for every console since the beggining of time.

Oop9MT6.png

Are you still on Nintendo for saying the Nes was better than the sega master system?
My uncle is still pissed off at John Lennon for saying The Beatles were more popular than Jesus. I guess some people take these grudges to their grave.

Top Bottom