• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 11/29/21 – 12/5/21

Bullet Club

Famitsu Sales: 11/29/21 – 12/5/21​

Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain opens at 36,928 retail sales.

Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of November 29, 2021 to December 5, 2021.

Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain for Switch was the highest selling new release this week, opening at 36,928 retail sales. It was followed by Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition for Switch, which sold, 13,348 copies.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl were still the highest selling overall games for the third straight week since release, moving another 164,580 copies.

On the hardware side, the Switch family sold 202,937 units, the PlayStation 5 family sold 1,919 units, the Xbox Series family sold 558 units, and the PlayStation 4 family sold 116 units. Next-generation consoles continue to face stock issues.

Get the full sales charts below.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (The Pokemon Company, 11/19/21) – 164,580 (1,915,268)
  2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 40,668 (405,177)
  3. [NSW] Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain (Nintendo, 12/03/21) – 36,928 (New)
  4. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 18,640 (6,987,075)
  5. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 18,308 (2,309,889)
  6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 16,160 (4,169,449)
  7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 14,728 (4,532,477)
  8. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition (Bandai Namco, 12/02/21) – 13,348 (New)
  9. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 9,387 (2,942,720)
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (The Pokemon Company, 11/15/19) – 8,998 (4,215,022)
Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on December 10.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. Switch – 53,752 (17,575,223)
  2. Switch Lite – 49,990 (4,284,885)
  3. Switch OLED Model – 99,195 (492,172)
  4. PlayStation 5 – 1,814 (997,605)
  5. Xbox Series S – 454 (52,870)
  6. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 423 (1,178,253)
  7. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 105 (19,546)
  8. PlayStation 4 – 116 (7,819,013)
  9. Xbox Series X – 104 (70,548)
Source: Gematsu

Alexios

Banned
Over 200k Switches, dang. Half of that by the OLED model. I guess they were reserving stock. I wonder if they can keep that supply up through the holidays.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Xbox Series S is about to get beat by New 2DS.

I feel for Sony and Microsoft, they are gonna get 2 years wrecked by the shortages, this is incredibly low numbers.

Also, why is Switch OLED at 3 when it sold the most?

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
ypVUTXK.jpg

Two hundred thousand Switches sold. Everything else combined sold around 2500 units. Nintendo really does own Japan. At least Japanese devs seem to still see value in making games for next gen console gamers in the West.

Last edited:
200000 Switches vs 2500 for everything else. Holy crap, lmao.
Home consoles are dead in Japan...plus clearly both Sony and MS sent every single unit everywhere else in the world.

It's clear as hell at this point (as if it wasn't before)

kingfey

Banned
So basically, we are fucked. If Japan is getting this much ps5, then forget about us global users. No way we are getting decent hardware's, until the shortage is at acceptable level.

So basically, we are fucked. If Japan is getting this much ps5, then forget about us global users. No way we are getting decent hardware's, until the shortage is at acceptable level.
It's the other way around. All stock is being distributed to bigger markets for Sony.
Some countries have been getting some decent amounts. Obviously nowhere near demand levels specially close to Christmas...but it is what it is right now.

I can't believe by the time full next-gen games start to come out and this cross-gen stage is over, most people that want a PS5 will still not have one. That's gotta sting a little bit tbh.

Kerotan

Were the Sony portables popular in Japan? Because if so, they're sure missing a trick here.
The psp sold similar to the ps1 and ps2. The ps vita sold like half of the ps3 and ps4.
God, those PS5 numbers are simply depressing.And we are knee deep into the holiday season. If people see that and can't come to terms that Sony has simply forsaken Japan, I don't know what to tell you.

Other than that, Nintendo keeps dominating as usual.
Maybe now people will stop acting like sony is doomed. The reality is market's where xbox competes > where xbox doesn't like Japan. Sony aren't competing with the switch.
Ireland got an insane amount of supply this last month. Never seen anything like it. There's still huge demand though. Japan's stock basically got sent to markets where xbox is competing.

Nautilus

Banned
Home consoles are dead in Japan...plus clearly both Sony and MS sent every single unit everywhere else in the world.

Its not that home consoles are dead there(Switch is a hybrid after all) but that Sony stopped making games and adapting to Japan tastes.

TheTony316

It's not even the rest of the world. The majority of units are in the US. Finding a PS5 here in Europe is impossible. It's even worse than in Japan.

Nautilus

Banned
The psp sold similar to the ps1 and ps2. The ps vita sold like half of the ps3 and ps4.

Maybe now people will stop acting like sony is doomed. The reality is market's where xbox competes > where xbox doesn't like Japan. Sony aren't competing with the switch.

Ireland got an insane amount of supply this last month. Never seen anything like it. There's still huge demand though. Japan's stock basically got sent to markets where xbox is competing.
Sony is not competing with Nintendo on Japan because they cant. The Switch is way too strong there, so they literaly gave up.

And there is going to be heavy consequences for them in the long run. Falcom used to be an exclusive Sony developer, but they are slowly moving over to the Switch. Nippon Ichi has almost exclusively moved over to the Switch. Sony is bleeding the small devs that usually stuck with them, and that not only affects their prospects in Japan, but worldwide. Not now of course, but somewhere along the road.

But its not just there.Nintendo was always MS and Sony's primary competitor, but since Nintendo blundered so badly during the 8th gen, they werent much of a threat.But now?With Nintendo basically having monopolized Japan, putting a big fight in the Americas, and not being non existant in Europe, Sony and MS might need to rethink their strategy.

kingfey

Banned
It's the other way around. All stock is being distributed to bigger markets for Sony.
Some countries have been getting some decent amounts. Obviously nowhere near demand levels specially close to Christmas...but it is what it is right now.

I can't believe by the time full next-gen games start to come out and this cross-gen stage is over, most people that want a PS5 will still not have one. That's gotta sting a little bit tbh.
I still dont have one. Its hard to get one here.

Its not that home consoles are dead there(Switch is a hybrid after all) but that Sony stopped making games and adapting to Japan tastes.
As AAA game production costs increase, Sony follows WW market trends. If they saw Japan as a great market for them, they would do something about it.
If a game like Ghost of Tsushima can't even sell half a million in Japan...what does that tell you about Japan and Playstation right now?

As long as i get the JRPGs games i've always liked, i'll be fine. It's not like japanese games are over...they are just mostly multiplatform games.

I still think Sony is going to acquire something in Japan during 2022, for real. If 2021 was dedicated to acquisitions all over Europe, 2022 they will move to other places.
After they re-structured Sony Japan and divided it between XDev, Team Asobi, etc...they must know that there's a huge market they are leaving behind since now they only have 2 studios there. Japan was Playstation's 2nd biggest market in terms of hardware sold even during the PS4 gen...i'm sure they know that.

It's not even the rest of the world. The majority of units are in the US. Finding a PS5 here in Europe is impossible. It's even worse than in Japan.
May i ask where you're living? As a Portuguese i get you. But it's not like it's like this all over Europe. I know the UK and bigger markets like Germany are getting them. But yeah...Sony is basically trying to make sure that any country Xbox had some sort of market, gets the most consoles from Sony as well.

Sony is not competing with Nintendo on Japan because they cant. The Switch is way too strong there, so they literaly gave up.

And there is going to be heavy consequences for them in the long run. Falcom used to be an exclusive Sony developer, but they are slowly moving over to the Switch. Nippon Ichi has almost exclusively moved over to the Switch. Sony is bleeding the small devs that usually stuck with them, and that not only affects their prospects in Japan, but worldwide. Not now of course, but somewhere along the road.

But its not just there.Nintendo was always MS and Sony's primary competitor, but since Nintendo blundered so badly during the 8th gen, they werent much of a threat.But now?With Nintendo basically having monopolized Japan, putting a big fight in the Americas, and not being non existant in Europe, Sony and MS might need to rethink their strategy.
I can see a future where Japan devs will only make games for Nintendo and PC. I can live with that personally because I have an okay laptop.

TheTony316

May i ask where you're living? As a Portuguese i get you. But it's not like it's like this all over Europe. I know the UK and bigger markets like Germany are getting them. But yeah...Sony is basically trying to make sure that any country Xbox had some sort of market, gets the most consoles from Sony as well.

I'm from Germany. Stock is pretty much non-existent. I'm one of the (very few) lucky ones who managed to pre order from Amazon.

I'm from Germany. Stock is pretty much non-existent. I'm one of the (very few) lucky ones who managed to pre order from Amazon.
The fact that by march over 20M PS5 will have been sold and no one has seen one shows how insane the demand is...and how they are so far from meeting that demand. It honestly sucks that people don't get to experience games like Horizon Forbidden West day one because they can't even get a console. Unless they play on their old PS4...

And i basically did it like you. I pre-ordered it. If not i wouldn't have one yet.

Nautilus

Banned
As AAA game production costs increase, Sony follows WW market trends. If they saw Japan as a great market for them, they would do something about it.
If a game like Ghost of Tsushima can't even sell half a million in Japan...what does that tell you about Japan and Playstation right now?

As long as i get the JRPGs games i've always liked, i'll be fine. It's not like japanese games are over...they are just mostly multiplatform games.

I still think Sony is going to acquire something in Japan during 2022, for real. If 2021 was dedicated to acquisitions all over Europe, 2022 they will move to other places.
After they re-structured Sony Japan and divided it between XDev, Team Asobi, etc...they must know that there's a huge market they are leaving behind since now they only have 2 studios there. Japan was Playstation's 2nd biggest market in terms of hardware sold even during the PS4 gen...i'm sure they know that.

You are most likely right, and the numbers do back that up.But its not like Sony is trying very hard, is it?Ghost of Tsushima is their biggest hit in a long time, and while the theme is very niponic, its still a very western game at heart.But Ghost of Tsushima was a step in the right direction.So why not keep pushing some of their resources in that direction?Why not make a JRPG too?Keep funding games like Bloosborne that appeals to japanese and westerns alike?Make a high effort in a game that has a primary audience as Japan, but not be a weird experimental game like Concrete Genie?

I mean, at least for now, they are doing better than ever, and seems to be mostly fine for now. But why lose Japan?Or at least not try to maintain a foothold there? Half of the biggest games comes from there and, even if they have worldwide appeal, its not like Capcom or Square is happy not selling in Japan.They are already bleeding several small devs to Nintendo.

And if they tame too long to react, either by making new games or acquiring studios, the install base will be too small for japanese devs to really bother, and it will be even harder to convince people to buy a PS6 for example.

Rat Rage

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (The Pokemon Company, 11/19/21) – 164,580 (1,915,268)
  2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 40,668 (405,177)
  3. [NSW] Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain (Nintendo, 12/03/21) – 36,928 (New)
  4. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 18,640 (6,987,075)
  5. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 18,308 (2,309,889)
  6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 16,160 (4,169,449)
  7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 14,728 (4,532,477)
  8. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition (Bandai Namco, 12/02/21) – 13,348 (New)
  9. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 9,387 (2,942,720)
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (The Pokemon Company, 11/15/19) – 8,998 (4,215,022)

Alright Gentlemen, let's see if we can find a PS4 / PS5 game in there, shall we?

N4xI8fY.gif

There's not even one ...

CXS3k.gif

TheTony316

And if they tame too long to react, either by making new games or acquiring studios, the install base will be too small for japanese devs to really bother, and it will be even harder to convince people to buy a PS6 for example.

But who's to say that the next Nintendo system won't be a screw up? Nintendo is fairly inconsistent with their console releases. They're either a massive hit or a total failure.

Kerotan

Keep believing that. The reality is Nintendo can't compete with Sony with the type of console Sony builds. A powerful traditional home console.

MS are still trying however and that's sony's focus.

You are most likely right, and the numbers do back that up.But its not like Sony is trying very hard, is it?Ghost of Tsushima is their biggest hit in a long time, and while the theme is very niponic, its still a very western game at heart.But Ghost of Tsushima was a step in the right direction.So why not keep pushing some of their resources in that direction?Why not make a JRPG too?Keep funding games like Bloosborne that appeals to japanese and westerns alike?Make a high effort in a game that has a primary audience as Japan, but not be a weird experimental game like Concrete Genie?

I mean, at least for now, they are doing better than ever, and seems to be mostly fine for now. But why lose Japan?Or at least not try to maintain a foothold there? Half of the biggest games comes from there and, even if they have worldwide appeal, its not like Capcom or Square is happy not selling in Japan.They are already bleeding several small devs to Nintendo.

Even if SIE makes a first party JRPG you really think its gonna be the type that appeals to people in japan like Dragon Quest? Lol

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
What if Microsoft pushes back hard in the States, say...with the Xbox Series S, what happens to Sony in that case?
homer simpson miley memes GIF
I doubt that they are going to do that, given both MS and Sony performance there.

But more than that, MS basically gave up the console wars, and its going all in in the "service wars", seeing their strategy with the Gamepass.

Honestly, as far as hardware is concerned, neither Sony nor Nintendo should worry about MS that much.

Jaysen

Banned
Japan said fuck you to Sony and Sony is returning the favor. They’re smartly sending their consoles to areas of the world that still give a shit about gaming on a tv.

Nautilus

Banned
Keep believing that. The reality is Nintendo can't compete with Sony with the type of console Sony builds. A powerful traditional home console.

MS are still trying however and that's sony's focus.
I don't need to believe, I just have to look at the numbers.

Nintendo kicked Sony out of Japan, Switch won for 37(Cant quite remember the number) consecutive months in the US, if NPD is to be believed. It might change now with the PS5 but the Switch is entering its twillight, and the PS5 is still just a baby, so thats to be expected.

You want to believe that what Nintendo manufacture is not a videogame console but rather a toy, so that ypu can say that Big Boys dont play with kids and you feel better with yourself with Sony's abysmal performance in Japan, but Nintendo is the oldest player in this game, and will remain to be. Switch is kicking the PS5 butt(in Japan), and there is nothing Sony will do about it. If this is not Nintendo smacking the competition, I dont know what else it would be.

Nautilus

Banned
Even if SIE makes a first party JRPG you really think its gonna be the type that appeals to people in japan like Dragon Quest? Lol
Yes?It doesnt have to be as big as that in the first try.Fostering an audience takes time and effort.

Look at Xenoblade. Only with the third entry it did more than 2,5 million units, and it did around 500 k in Japan alone. Everything points that the next entry will do even better and thus, the franchise appeal will grow.

Dont look at it like Sony needs ONE smash hit to turns things around.They need to constantly pump out games that appeal to that audience to win them over again. It would also help if they didnt shit on hardware functions that go against japanese customs, like switching th X and O button functions.

The point, at least for now, is not to beat Nintendo, but rather to not dissapear from Japan, as that country has a big importance to many japanese devs, and that might result in straining the relationship with japanese devs

Top Bottom