• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales [2/20-2/26] Ps5 #1 Hardware and Kirby's Dream Land Wii Deluxe takes top spot on the software charts

Unknown?

You are misreading.

The growth rate is shrinking. You're taking a chart about overall sales trends.

Example, if growth is 90% and then drops to 40%, that's still 40% growth over the predecessor, but that's a 50% reduction and that questions stability in the long.

I said it was shrinking and slowing down fast, not that the PS5 was falling behind the PS4 as you interpreted.

No, but you read what I said incorrectly.
Man I hope you're not a statistician, because damn! Or maybe you work for the government? That'd explain it!

TheTony316

PS4 1,646
XBS 727

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Good to see Playstation making a (slow) comeback in software.

yazenov

For comparison:

[NSW] Octopath Traveler (Square Enix, 07/13/18) – 110,111 (New)

[Switch] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix) 53,995/
[PS5] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix) 14,422/
total: 68,417

It seems to be in decline if you only account for physical, but if you include digital they might be equal in terms of sales.

The full price remaster outperformed the original release by over 50k and this is without digital sales.

01./00. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 189.031 / NEW

02./00. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.27} (¥5.800) - 136.811 / NEW
If you think that's bad, look at Mario Kart 8.

*sigh* Yes, Octopath Traveler 2 charted, no, I wouldn't call those numbers good. Likely dropping out of the top 30 by next week.
No 3rd party games sell like Nintendo games...even on Switch that's extremely rare, lmao. Most 3rd party games debuting on Switch have sales of 20k or 30k and that piece of hardware has like...30M units sold in Japan opposed to PS5's 3M.

But of course that seems like it's not convenient to talk about in here.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn was thinking Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! would get at least(or close to) 100k the first week. Would like to know the digital sales for it.
I'm actually surprised it's selling that much, didn't that game release years ago already? Or is this a sequel?

poodaddy

I love that Kirby is doing so well for Nintendo these days. Always been one of my favorite franchises, going all the way back to Dreamland on Game Boy. It's just a great, fun series that literally anyone can pick up and enjoy.

Now hurry up and do a great port of Planet Robobot Nintendo. Me want.

jm89

If they can hold 90k+ weekly for the rest of the month, this quarter japan alone would have contributed 960K+ in sales. I don't think anyone expected that.

Increasing their expected shipment numbers for the quarter did get a few raised eyebrows, but not looking that ferfetched if other regions can keep up.

Last edited:
Oh wow, so if Spain really is less than 10% of all EU sales, then PSVR2 might have sold 100,000 units in the first week then. Unless.......Spain likes VR more than other countries.
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-10-countries-by-game-revenues

Dunno how trustworthy this is but according to this chart spain seems to be at fifth place (tops) currently in EU.

According to wikipedia data from 2021
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_markets_by_country

Last edited:
You are misreading.

The growth rate is shrinking. You're taking a chart about overall sales trends.

Example, if growth is 90% and then drops to 40%, that's still 40% growth over the predecessor, but that's a 50% reduction and that questions stability in the long.

I said it was shrinking and slowing down fast, not that the PS5 was falling behind the PS4 as you interpreted.

No, but you read what I said incorrectly.

You're conveniently ignoring that PS5 had severe supply constraints throughout most of 2022 in Japan.

Which would have both affected its growth and caused the very thing you're describing. Now that supply is stabilizing, we're seeing it track ahead of PS4 and it looks like it will be trending ahead of PS4 week-over-week for the foreseeable future.

You have a very weird and flawed read of that chart.

Tsaki

RE4 Remake in March.

FF VII part 2 but that might be a Jan-Mar 2024 game.
For Rebirth, when they said Winter they definitely meant end of winter and not December. I expect it to get a 3 month delay (as is common with all AAA games now), so probably May 2024. Which in my opinion is good. No need to cram 2 mainline Final Fantasy games in the same year. Give them some room to breathe and more polish is always good. Though it will push the game (and the consoles that it would sell) into the next FY.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For Rebirth, when they said Winter they definitely meant end of winter and not December. I expect it to get a 3 month delay (as is common with all AAA games now), so probably May 2024. Which in my opinion is good. No need to cram 2 mainline Final Fantasy games in the same year. Give them some room to breathe and more polish is always good. Though it will push the game (and the consoles that it would sell) into the next FY.

I read it as March 2024, since that's still the "Winter Time".

Raonak

Banned
PS5's resseruction in japan is fascinating. I guess it really was stock related, because there's nothing released that should cause this much of a bump.

PS5's resseruction in japan is fascinating. I guess it really was stock related, because there's nothing released that should cause this much of a bump.

In Japan and everywhere else. I’m not sure why people were convinced for the past two years it was anything but stock issues when scalping prices were through the roof

Tsaki

I read it as March 2024, since that's still the "Winter Time".
Yup. Hopefully 4 full years of dev are enough for a satisfying sequel to Remake. Also, Nomura said last June that work on the third game is already underway. Pre-production and concept stuff no doubt, but gives hope that the team can seamlessly move to the next game without much downtime.

Top Bottom