• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2023 (May 22 - May 28)

Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2023 (May 22 - May 28)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 148.482 / 1.515.673 (-40%)
02./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 8.373 / 5.310.115 (+1%)
03./00. [NSW] Bustafellows Season 2 # <ADV> (Nippon Cultural Broadcasting eXtend) {2023.05.25} (¥6.800) - 7.514 / NEW
04./03. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 6.385 / 2.196.076 (-15%)
05./05. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 5.368 / 3.146.828 (-3%)
06./04. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 5.042 / 5.039.337 (-10%)
07./07. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.978 / 5.200.365 (+6%)
08./08. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 4.804 / 4.024.155 (+3%)
09./06. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 4.492 / 436.641 (-16%)
10./10. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 3.389 / 1.084.836 (-1%)

Top 10

NSW - 10

HARDWARE

c5X673M.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How are sales for the Xbox Series consoles down 50% from last year? It's not like they were doing great last year either. Where did MS really go wrong? And is it similar in other countries?

feynoob

Banned
How are sales for the Xbox Series consoles down 50% from last year? It's not like they were doing great last year either. Where did MS really go wrong? And is it similar in other countries?
They are holding it for this event.
Last time, they did huge dump of stock of xbs after their event, if I remember correctly.

feynoob

Banned
Why would they "hold" consoles in warehouses until after a big event? Wouldn't you want those consoles in homes while the event is happening?
Because a showcase makes people want to buy your console.
Same as how you provide huge shipment when there is a big game around the corner.

Nautilus

Banned
Second week with a Top ten Switch games. Total Nintendo Domination. Though that *should*end next week with Street Fighter 6 launch.

And now that's what we are talking about Zelda! A 40% drop for the third week is really good. At this pace, Zelda should pass 15 million worldwide in a week or two.

Really good hold for the two consoles. Switch being straight flat WOW is mighty impressive. Gonna be interesting how PS5 performs next week.

Interfectum

This Switch is just incredible with the way it keeps selling with a 10-year old plus chipset. It has convinced me to favor the idea that Sony should NOT release a Pro this gen, and I have been a strong supporter for a PS5 Pro until now.
Undoubtedly, it is the strength and quality of software that triumph in the end. While the specifications and age of a system play an important role, they become somewhat secondary when there's robust and engaging software in the mix. This point is particularly vital as, in an industry increasingly dominated by high-end specifications, developers can often become side-tracked. The allure of incorporating cutting-edge graphics and producing slick cinematics may inadvertently overshadow the heart of a game – its gameplay mechanics.

Elaborating on that point, I've always held the conviction that human beings tend to excel when they're faced with adversity. In the context of the Nintendo Switch, it's clear that developers, including Nintendo themselves, understand that they can't impress gamers with flashy graphics, ray tracing, or 4K resolution. The limitation actually pushes them to emphasize the real heart of gaming... the gameplay. In a surprising twist, having to work with what some might dismiss as "outdated hardware" has perhaps been instrumental in crafting legendary games like Zelda into the masterpieces we adore today.

Last edited:

Woopah

Wouldn't be surprised if both hit 3 million this year
I'd wager the ps5 between 2.8 and 3.2 and switch 3.3 to 3.6
I'd say your underestimating both of them a bit.

PS5 hardware doesn;t show any sign if slowing down much, so I think it could do over 3.2 million.

And Switch has always sold more than 3.4 million and its looking to do the same this year. I'd say 3.7 million to 4.1 million is more likely, but of course it depends on what happens at Nintendo's summer Direct
PS5 as usually in a different league. Selling over 40 times it's next closest competition. I'm not sure why I'm still surprised.
The PS5 is closer in sales to Xbox Series than it is to Switch this week, so in terms of "closest competition" you are technically correct!

MrA

Banned

PS5 hardware doesn;t show any sign if slowing down much, so I think it could do over 3.2 million.

And Switch has always sold more than 3.4 million and its looking to do the same this year. I'd say 3.7 million to 4.1 million is more likely, but of course it depends on what happens at Nintendo's summer Direct

The PS5 is closer in sales to Xbox Series than it is to Switch this week, so in terms of "closest competition" you are technically correct!
if both beat it, I think that'd be great

Kerotan

As much as the switch wants to be a big sexy powerful traditional home console it's not. You gotta shop with Sony or MS for that.

YukiOnna

Reaaally curious how FFXVI is going to debut on the physical side, I know w/ digital will probably be enough to pull it to the 800k-900k, but I think physical will take a hit. PS5 HW bump should be good at least.

I'm impressed PS4 increase in it's sales. Its still a nice piece of console.

I really hadn’t noticed, but that is pretty interesting. I thought it was discontinued around the time they put out the PS5, but the change YoY would suggest there’s either been a resupply unless retailers are finally putting old inventory on clearance.

Woopah

Reaaally curious how FFXVI is going to debut on the physical side, I know w/ digital will probably be enough to pull it to the 800k-900k, but I think physical will take a hit. PS5 HW bump should be good at least.
I'm thinking around 380,000 physical but I'm really not sure about that at all.

YukiOnna

I'm thinking around 380,000 physical but I'm really not sure about that at all.
Yeah, initially I was thinking higher, but considering current market compared to 7 years ago or even 7R's release, I'm putting it in the 300K range.

Woopah

Yeah, initially I was thinking higher, but considering current market compared to 7 years ago or even 7R's release, I'm putting it in the 300K range.
On the one hand PS5's software sales have not been great, but on the other hand this is the biggest PS5 exclusive yet. Hard to tell.

Oof85

You guys are grossly underestimating FFXVI’s sales potential in Japan.

Final Fantasy is right up there along with Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter as the top 3 third party franchises in the country.
Doubtful.

This generation the biggest 3P hits have been DQ and MH plus a new addition from an older ip from Konami(that game that's kinda like Monopoly).
That game has outsold the last couple FF games combined I think and is Konami's biggest domestic success ever.

It's easy to forget though, since it's Switch exclusive.

Last edited:

Caio

This Switch is just incredible with the way it keeps selling with a 10-year old plus chipset. It has convinced me to favor the idea that Sony should NOT release a Pro this gen, and I have been a strong supporter for a PS5 Pro until now.
I'm not surprised to see Switch selling so well with an underpowered hardware, hardware is not so important for Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft, on the other hand, need much more power for the most demanding 3rd Party AAA titles, and the base Model can already struggle a bit, that's why the Mid gen refresh are coming, probably in Q4 2024.
I don't really think you would play Elden Ring 2 or Bloodborne 2 on a Switch, isn't it ? Nintendo left forever the Home Console Market, they go "gimmick" / "portable" and DO NOT NEED a PS5 like hardware or XSX.

Impotaku

Sometime ago was "not a hardcore console". Now it's "not a traditional home console".
The switch isn’t anything, according the the ones on gaf suffering from late stage copium poisoning. They keep moving the goalposts so it doesn’t count. People pinning all their hopes on final fantasy lol good luck. I can predict there will be a huge spike in sales of both the game & the hardware above the norm like with hog warts probably lasting a few weeks at best before it’s quickly slides out of the top 20.

Imho not impossible that the thirst for PS5 was so big, while supply so low, that some chose the next best alternative? I assume people with that mindset are few, in Japan and elsewhere too, so after this limited demand was satisified, we are now at the numbers of people actually interested in XBox.
Will also be interesting if Sony hits some wall soon and a Slim and a price cut are necessary to keep sales going as insanely fast as right now. Some of their lttp customers never payed that much for a console and probably don't want to and the whole price increase thing kinda mixed the usual procedure up.

I also never understood why sales of hardware are so constant and not just front loaded with initial launch window and then next high point is with a price cut- plus xmas or something of course. Anyone who has a slight interest in a Switch should have one by now but it still sells like a new Zelda changed now anything in the broader picture of the Switch library and what if offers. Almost like only 100k people are released from under living under a rock each month or something.

Nautilus

Banned
I'm not surprised to see Switch selling so well with an underpowered hardware, hardware is not so important for Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft, on the other hand, need much more power for the most demanding 3rd Party AAA titles, and the base Model can already struggle a bit, that's why the Mid gen refresh are coming, probably in Q4 2024.
I don't really think you would play Elden Ring 2 or Bloodborne 2 on a Switch, isn't it ? Nintendo left forever the Home Console Market, they go "gimmick" / "portable" and DO NOT NEED a PS5 like hardware or XSX.
Power and raw graphical prowess is becomming less and less important, as the returns diminish with each gen.

If the rumours are true, and the Switch 2 has a performance between 2 and 3 Teraflops, and it has a chip dedicated to DLSS and one to Ray Tracing, even if the Switch 2 is still much weaker than the PS5 and Series X, it will be close enough to them, coupled with the gigantic success of the Switch, that companies will want and will make the effort to port over to the Switch 2. Especially if they want to be successful in Japan, they NEED to be in a Nintendo console.

And I mean, if that specs end up being real, the real world performance would be really close, if not superior, to the Series S. And the Series S gets the same games as the Series X. So power will stop being an issue.

Woopah

You guys are grossly underestimating FFXVI’s sales potential in Japan.

Final Fantasy is right up there along with Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter as the top 3 third party franchises in the country.
How much do you think it will do physically week 1?
Doubtful.

This generation the biggest 3P hits have been DQ and MH plus a new addition from an older ip from Konami(that game that's kinda like Monopoly).
That game has outsold the last couple FF games combined I think and is Konami's biggest domestic success ever.

It's easy to forget though, since it's Switch exclusive.
Momotaro was bigger in total sales thanks to very strong legs. But if we look at just the first week, the biggest 3rd party games in Japan on Switch and PS4 are:

Monster Hunter: World - 1,350,412
Monster Hunter: Rise - 1,302,132
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 950,338
Final Fantasy XV - 716,649
Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702,853
Kingdom Hearts III - 640,406
Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! - 345,697

Imho not impossible that the thirst for PS5 was so big, while supply so low, that some chose the next best alternative? I assume people with that mindset are few, in Japan and elsewhere too, so after this limited demand was satisified, we are now at the numbers of people actually interested in XBox.
Will also be interesting if Sony hits some wall soon and a Slim and a price cut are necessary to keep sales going as insanely fast as right now. Some of their lttp customers never payed that much for a console and probably don't want to and the whole price increase thing kinda mixed the usual procedure up.

I also never understood why sales of hardware are so constant and not just front loaded with initial launch window and then next high point is with a price cut- plus xmas or something of course. Anyone who has a slight interest in a Switch should have one by now but it still sells like a new Zelda changed now anything in the broader picture of the Switch library and what if offers. Almost like only 100k people are released from under living under a rock each month or something.
Most people don't follow games so closely on forums like us. They might not really think about gaming much, but then seeing their friends and social media talking about TOTK makes them want to pick up a Switch (same for FFXVI and PS5).

Caio

Power and raw graphical prowess is becomming less and less important, as the returns diminish with each gen.

If the rumours are true, and the Switch 2 has a performance between 2 and 3 Teraflops, and it has a chip dedicated to DLSS and one to Ray Tracing, even if the Switch 2 is still much weaker than the PS5 and Series X, it will be close enough to them, coupled with the gigantic success of the Switch, that companies will want and will make the effort to port over to the Switch 2. Especially if they want to be successful in Japan, they NEED to be in a Nintendo console.

And I mean, if that specs end up being real, the real world performance would be really close, if not superior, to the Series S. And the Series S gets the same games as the Series X. So power will stop being an issue.
Power will always be an issue when the base PS5 and XSX can already struggle to run some games, and the ""Switch2"" will never have performance/graphics close to a PS5/XSX, it will be much closer to a PS4, mark my words. This Generation will be very long, and the most demanding games will require more power in order to run them at 60fps with acceptable settings/graphics. Laugh how much you want, we will get the mid gen upgrade for PS5 and XS, and Swith2 will continue to sell like hot cakes, and have an underpowered hardware, again, because Nintendo do not need specs like Sony or Microsoft.

Nautilus

Banned
Power will always be an issue when the base PS5 and XSX can already struggle to run some games, and the ""Switch2"" will never have performance/graphics close to a PS5/XSX, it will be much closer to a PS4, mark my words. This Generation will be very long, and the most demanding games will require more power in order to run them at 60fps with acceptable settings/graphics. Laugh how much you want, we will get the mid gen upgrade for PS5 and XS, and Swith2 will continue to sell like hot cakes, and have an underpowered hardware, again, because Nintendo do not need specs like Sony or Microsoft.
Its not a matter of having high specs or not. It's about being able to run the games at an acceptable level. It should be beyond clear now with the success of the Switch, Fortnite, Momotaro, etc. that the general gaming populace doesn't *really* care about graphical prowess, as long as the game runs and looks at a truly acceptable condition.

So even if the Switch 2 is not a 10 TF powerhouse, and "only" 2.5 - 3 TF, with the real performance pushing it higher, as long as that ends up being enough to run third party games, the games will be there, and the public will buy them. I mean, we still get 30 fps games, or modes that run in 30 fps, and most people are okay with that. The Series S is there and gets every single game that the Series X gets, and the Series S has half the power of the Series X.

The only ones that still TRULLY cares about high end graphics as the most important thing of a game(Or one of the most important) is a very minor audience of the hardcore gamers, and they don't represent gaming in general.

If the Switch 2 is powerful enough to run third party PS5 games, even at 30 fps and lower resolutions, but that still maintain the original experience at an acceptable performance, third parties will be there. And if you are a japanese developer that relies on Japan, you HAVE to be there. Because not being on the Switch, for Japan, is almost the same as not having released the game at all.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

Easy there tiger. Nothing is set in stone, especially when it comes to Nintendo. Will they seek more power? Probably. But they will also introduce some major innovations. And that's where things can go extremely right, or extremely wrong.

Top Bottom