• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 24, 2023 (Jun 5 - Jun 11)

Woopah

It's not possible in Japan with the games ps4 had and that was proven. However with those games it could have done it if slightly cheaper.

The biggest factor is the fact it's a traditional home console and not either a portable device or hybrid in a market like Japan where portability is key.

Ps5 this year gonna break some nice record's. It will be the first traditional home console since the ps2 to sell over 2M. Can't wait to see it.
Fully agree with the bolded, that's all I was trying to say :)

Nautilus

Banned
It's not possible in Japan with the games ps4 had and that was proven. However with those games it could have done it if slightly cheaper.

The biggest factor is the fact it's a traditional home console and not either a portable device or hybrid in a market like Japan where portability is key.

Ps5 this year gonna break some nice record's. It will be the first traditional home console since the ps2 to sell over 2M. Can't wait to see it.
But the Switch can also be played as a tradicional home console, and it has already passed the 2 million mark, as it was obvious enough.

Kerotan

But the Switch can also be played as a tradicional home console, and it has already passed the 2 million mark, as it was obvious enough.
Just because a playstation can be streamed to a portable device on the go doesn't make it a traditional portable. No amount of goal post shifting will make the switch a traditional home console.

Nautilus

Banned
Just because a playstation can be streamed to a portable device on the go doesn't make it a traditional portable. No amount of goal post shifting will make the switch a traditional home console.
No ammount of goal post shifting will make the PS5 a successful console in Japan. Its not doing bad in hardware numbers, but overall compared to its competitors, which includes the Switch, is doing very poorly. Especially because of its software.

And yes, since the Switch can be played exclusively as a home console, its also a traditional home console. I do find the term "tradicional" here stupid, as consoles have evolved over the decades. Its as stupid as the use of the word exclusive by MS, as those games are now releasing on multiple systems, including ones they don't control. But eh, discussion for another day.

Kerotan

No ammount of goal post shifting will make the PS5 a successful console in Japan. Its not doing bad in hardware numbers, but overall compared to its competitors, which includes the Switch, is doing very poorly. Especially because of its software.

And yes, since the Switch can be played exclusively as a home console, its also a traditional home console. I do find the term "tradicional" here stupid, as consoles have evolved over the decades. Its as stupid as the use of the word exclusive by MS, as those games are now releasing on multiple systems, including ones they don't control. But eh, discussion for another day.
Consoles like Nintendos have evolved because Sony literally kicked them out of the traditional home console market. PlayStations still the same concept.

You changed the goal posts again though by bringing success into this debate.

Nautilus

Banned
Consoles like Nintendos have evolved because Sony literally kicked them out of the traditional home console market. PlayStations still the same concept.

You changed the goal posts again though by bringing success into this debate.
They did beat Nintendo during the 5th and 6th gen, I won't deny it. But thanks to that, Nintendo now finds itself having greater success, more than MS and Sony could ever hope to achieve. And all of that still having a console that plays like a tradicional home console, or a tradicional portable console.

And at least in Japan, the tables have turned: Now Nintendo is kicking Sony out of Japan. What will they do to survive there? Or will they ignore that market and focus on the world at large?

I didn't change nothing: You said that the PS5 is the most successful tradicional home console, and that's incorrect. Since the Switch can and is being played as a tradicional home console, the affirmation you made is incorrect, and I was just correcting it.

Kerotan

They did beat Nintendo during the 5th and 6th gen, I won't deny it. But thanks to that, Nintendo now finds itself having greater success, more than MS and Sony could ever hope to achieve. And all of that still having a console that plays like a tradicional home console, or a tradicional portable console.

And at least in Japan, the tables have turned: Now Nintendo is kicking Sony out of Japan. What will they do to survive there? Or will they ignore that market and focus on the world at large?

I didn't change nothing: You said that the PS5 is the most successful tradicional home console, and that's incorrect. Since the Switch can and is being played as a tradicional home console, the affirmation you made is incorrect, and I was just correcting it.
Weird way of kicking Sony out of Japan when PlayStation sells fastest since the ps2 and Japanese players are the most active on PlayStation premium compared to any other country.

Nintendo were put firmly Into the portable lane by Sony and banished from directly competing with them. You don't see no sexy N64 or a GameCube being made anymore not to mention the other previous traditional home consoles Nintendo used to dominate with.

Both Sony and Nintendo are achieving unprecedented success and it's fantastic. I believe this is helped greatly by the fact Nintendo are too scared to take PlayStation on directly.

blacktout

It's remarkable how every single Famitsu sales thread devolves into the same pedantic argument.

I actually love the bickering about sales hypotheticals, because at least those can eventually be proven true or false by future data, but playing word games with arbitrary definitions is just mind-numbingly banal, since a "traditional home console" is an abstract construct that exists only in the imagination of the person making the argument and so there's no possible way this endless debate will ever be resolved, let alone offer any valuable insight.

Nautilus

Banned
Weird way of kicking Sony out of Japan when PlayStation sells fastest since the ps2 and Japanese players are the most active on PlayStation premium compared to any other country.

Nintendo were put firmly Into the portable lane by Sony and banished from directly competing with them. You don't see no sexy N64 or a GameCube being made anymore not to mention the other previous traditional home consoles Nintendo used to dominate with.

Both Sony and Nintendo are achieving unprecedented success and it's fantastic. I believe this is helped greatly by the fact Nintendo are too scared to take PlayStation on directly.
PS2 did 23.18 million in Japan, while the Switch is probably going to do 35+ million there. And that's assuming the PS5 keeps at this pace. So I would calm down a little.

And why bring up N64 and Gamecube? They were clearly failures/dissapointments, but that's over 20 years ago. The Switch is probably going to become the most successful console in history both in Japan and in the world, so I don't get why you need to go that far back to have some kind of (flawed) point.

Nintendo is currently the market leader everywhere(Though the PS5 is primed to take that spot simply due to the Switch's age) and Nintendo is now in a great position to have a great launch with the Switch 2. The PS5 is doing excellent worldwide most likely because they know they can't compete nor beat Nintendo in Japan, so they focus almost exclusively their games to appeal to a worldwide audienceso they can be competitive with Nintendo in those countries, and that's why the PS5 is still behind a 7 year old system, and it barely sells software in Japan. But looking at Sony's financial, that's clearly for the better.

Kerotan

PS2 did 23.18 million in Japan, while the Switch is probably going to do 35+ million there. And that's assuming the PS5 keeps at this pace. So I would calm down a little.

And why bring up N64 and Gamecube? They were clearly failures/dissapointments, but that's over 20 years ago. The Switch is probably going to become the most successful console in history both in Japan and in the world, so I don't get why you need to go that far back to have some kind of (flawed) point.

Nintendo is currently the market leader everywhere(Though the PS5 is primed to take that spot simply due to the Switch's age) and Nintendo is now in a great position to have a great launch with the Switch 2. The PS5 is doing excellent worldwide most likely because they know they can't compete nor beat Nintendo in Japan, so they focus almost exclusively their games to appeal to a worldwide audienceso they can be competitive with Nintendo in those countries, and that's why the PS5 is still behind a 7 year old system, and it barely sells software in Japan. But looking at Sony's financial, that's clearly for the better.
Why bring them up because the n64 and GameCube were the last consoles by Nintendo that were similar to PlayStation home consoles. Nintendo had 1 foot out the door with the Wii. And I even forgot about the Wii U. That just confirmed to Nintendo they just don't have it to take Sony on head to head anymore.

Nautilus

Banned
It's remarkable how every single Famitsu sales thread devolves into the same pedantic argument.

I actually love the bickering about sales hypotheticals, because at least those can eventually be proven true or false by future data, but playing word games with arbitrary definitions is just mind-numbingly banal, since a "traditional home console" is an abstract construct that exists only in the imagination of the person making the argument and so there's no possible way this endless debate will ever be resolved, let alone offer any valuable insight.
Yeah, its ridiculous.

Instead of accepting the very natural fact that every company has its low and highs, which Nintendo had, they have to create artificial definitions that nobody uses other than him like classifying the PS5 as an "Stationary, tradicional, non moving, strictly 1.7 TF machine, home console" to be fine with himself with his purchase of his console of choice.

Its stupid, but if he wants to make himself looking like a fool, I can't stop that, can I?

Kerotan

Yeah, its ridiculous.

Instead of accepting the very natural fact that every company has its low and highs, which Nintendo had, they have to create artificial definitions that nobody uses other than him like classifying the PS5 as an "Stationary, tradicional, non moving, strictly 1.7 TF machine, home console" to be fine with himself with his purchase of his console of choice.

Its stupid, but if he wants to make himself looking like a fool, I can't stop that, can I?
I mean it's a pretty simple definition. If Sony went for half the power with the ps5 and slapped a screen on it to make it portable with a HDMI connection to the TV I wouldn't dare pretend the PS5 was a traditional home console.

Nautilus

Banned
Why bring them up because the n64 and GameCube were the last consoles by Nintendo that were similar to PlayStation home consoles. Nintendo had 1 foot out the door with the Wii. And I even forgot about the Wii U. That just confirmed to Nintendo they just don't have it to take Sony on head to head anymore.
The Wii was a home console, and sold more than the PS3, and the Switch can be strictly a home console too, and it already outsold the PS4, and the PS5 *probably* will never catch up to it. If anything, combining with the fact that Sony clearly can't compete with Nintendo in Japan anymore and the focus on darker content for their games, clearly shows that Sony gave up on 1-uping Nintendo.

But does it matter? Everyone is doing well, and Sony is clearly happy with how PS5 is doing worldwide and in Japan.

Kerotan

The Wii was a home console, and sold more than the PS3, and the Switch can be strictly a home console too, and it already outsold the PS4, and the PS5 *probably* will never catch up to it. If anything, combining with the fact that Sony clearly can't compete with Nintendo in Japan anymore and the focus on darker content for their games, clearly shows that Sony gave up on 1-uping Nintendo.

But does it matter? Everyone is doing well, and Sony is clearly happy with how PS5 is doing worldwide and in Japan.
It doesn't matter in terms of your feelings but in terms of the market reality and analysis it does. Sony have taken over their market and Nintendo still control the portable space their hybrid innovation.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean it's a pretty simple definition. If Sony went for half the power with the ps5 and slapped a screen on it to make it portable with a HDMI connection to the TV I wouldn't dare pretend the PS5 was a traditional home console.
Nobody would pretend, because if the PS5 was a hybrid system, it would also be a home console. And the point of the discussion would be as moot as it is now.

Kerotan

Nobody would pretend, because if the PS5 was a hybrid system, it would also be a home console. And the point of the discussion would be as moot as it is now.
It would be a home console but not a traditional one. Being portable changes how you're classed. You can't have weak ass portable hardware and pretend you're competing with the big boy's.

Nautilus

Banned
It doesn't matter in terms of your feelings but in terms of the market reality and analysis it does. Sony have taken over their market and Nintendo still control the portable space their hybrid innovation.
I don't speak for my feelings. As you said, it only matters in terms of market analysis and analysis. And ALL the professional analysts and companies, like Famitsu, Media Create, NPD, and the European ones which I always forget the name, treat the Switch, PS5 and Series as direct competitors.

Hell, Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, admitted as much. Do you claim to know more than Phil Spencer?

Nautilus

Banned
It would be a home console but not a traditional one. Being portable changes how you're classed. You can't have weak ass portable hardware and pretend you're competing with the big boy's.
Phil Spencer said he is competing directly with both the PS5 and the Switch. Even if the Switch is a hybrid and it has kess power. Do you claim to be more knowledgable and professional than the head of Xbox himself?

Kerotan

Phil Spencer said he is competing directly with both the PS5 and the Switch. Even if the Switch is a hybrid and it has kess power. Do you claim to be more knowledgable and professional than the head of Xbox himself?
If Phil says it then that confirms the opposite is true. That man sells you wolf tickets.

Nautilus

Banned
Exactly Lol. Wouldn't take anything that man say's seriously.
Oh yeah, let's take a word of a random forum user over the man responsible of a billion dollar company and the one actually in the trenches managing game studios and competing in the games industry as one of the big three

LMAO. You CAN'T make this shit up!

Kerotan

Oh yeah, let's take a word of a random forum user over the man responsible of a billion dollar company and the one actually in the trenches managing game studios and competing in the games industry as one of the big three

LMAO. You CAN'T make this shit up!
Nothing I've said is wrong though. And you change the goal posts because you know it's true.

Nautilus

Banned
Nothing I've said is wrong though. And you change the goal posts because you know it's true.
Sure Jan GIF

#KerotanForNewHeadOfXbox

Top Bottom