• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 26 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

Kerotan

So my thoughts on this week. Good to see a ps5 game sell a lot although for FF it looks bad. However we know WW with digital sales are healthy so that's all that matters.

On hardware side switch super impressive. Ps5 in beast mode and really racking up the LTD and YTD total now.

Xbox extremely impressive also considering how irrelevant the brand is in Japan. Overall a very impressive week.

Hopefully ps5 stays at a healthy level until Christmas and then hopefully a nice few week's.

14% of PS5s can't even play physical games in Japan, but somehow people think that digital doesn't represent a large percentage of sales...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Not for long. He'll be back in a couple of weeks.
I have no issue with it. Even his sillyness has a place in discussion. Look at the situation. If we keep our heads in the sand nothing will ever change or improve. I don't want an entire market just for Nintendo. It's not healthy.

Woopah

Based on the WW sales SE gave wasn't a reasonable estimate around 600k digital and physical for Japan?
We'll see the sell through later today to see if it sold out in stores, but if it didn't sell out I'd say that's a bit high for a bundled, single player game in Japan. I'd say a 6th of shipments coming from Japan would make sense.
Dammit…how many times do we have to explain to you clowns about install base? Ffs.
The numbers are accurate.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
We'll see the sell through later today to see if it sold out in stores, but if it didn't sell out I'd say that's a bit high for a bundled, single player game in Japan. I'd say a 6th of shipments coming from Japan would make sense.

Again….and again, and again….install base. Want to talk numbers, install base.

Bundle price is more expensive as the standalone and is not a LE console, the most single mistake they did.

It seems that the higher price bundles didn’t do to much to sales.

That's not the bump I was expecting from Final Fantasy 16, PS5 sales had a moderate increase.

Are there other high-profile Japanese games releasing exclusively on PS5 coming out this year?

Woopah

Again….and again, and again….install base. Want to talk numbers, install base.
Sorry I don't understand. What are you trying to say?
Bundle price is more expensive as the standalone and is not a LE console, the most single mistake they did.

It seems that the higher price bundles didn’t do to much to sales.
It was an LE console in Japan (why they only gave Japan that I have no idea.
That's not the bump I was expecting from Final Fantasy 16, PS5 sales had a moderate increase.

Are there other high-profile Japanese games releasing exclusively on PS5 coming out this year?
I think Armoured Core 6 in August is going to do surprisingly well. But in terms of PS5 exclusive the biggest is Spiderman 2.

It was an LE console in Japan (why they only gave Japan that I have no idea.
Is not a LE, is a normal PS5 disc/disc less with a voucher of FFXVI for 8000 yens more than the disc/discless version.

The LE plates and the LE controller are sold Separately.

Last edited:
I think Armoured Core 6 in August is going to do surprisingly well. But in terms of PS5 exclusive the biggest is Spiderman 2.

Well in regards to console sales? Not so sure on that Armored Core wasn't doing too well on the PS3 or PSP where the series was last. While Souls has helped From become more popular I'm not so sure that's going to transfer over. Elden Ring isn't beating the Souls games head over heels in Japan like elsewhere either.

It is Anime with robot lasers though.

Woopah

Is not a LE, is a normal PS5 disc/disc less with a voucher of FFXVI for 8000 yens more than the disc/discless version.

The LE plates and the LE controller are sold Separately.
You are right. I think Sony really missed a trick there.
Well in regards to console sales? Not so sure on that Armored Core wasn't doing too well on the PS3 or PSP where the series was last. While Souls has helped From become more popular I'm not so sure that's going to transfer over. Elden Ring isn't beating the Souls games head over heels in Japan like elsewhere either.

It is Anime with robot lasers though.
You do make good points, I just think the increased popularity of FromSoftware will really help the game initially and it will overperform. But we will see!

you can spin positively or negatively all you want.

the fact of the matter is that, FFXVI is ANOTHER divisive entire in this franchise....which at this point (even without counting the years) has had probably more years with troubled developments than not.....Let that sink in.

Now. this could be the different aspect of this game tho.

listening to:

yeah....is pretty obvious the weird/lackluster/unambitious desing decisions around this game.

they proposed is about budget...i will add that is also about technology =

A game of these characteristics.

if true: It says a lot of good things for the people in charge of production/creative vision: To Make a fucking game in time and budget, with a strong vison (knowing your limitations and scope).

but also says that SE is a fucking disgrace.

Top 30 Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix, 06/22/23) – 336,027 (New)
  2. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo, 05/12/23) – 25,155 (1,697,225)
  3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 8,066 (5,344,544)
  4. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 6,166 (3,171,606)
  5. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 6,156 (1,107,323)
  6. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet (The Pokemon Company, 11/18/22) – 4,901 (5,058,457)
  7. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 4,597 (4,043,435)
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 4,282 (5,219,828)
  9. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 4,231 (3,45,063)
  10. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 3,531 (2,216,142)
  11. [PS5] Street Fighter 6 (Capcom, 06/02/23) – 3,455 (37,085)
  12. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe (Nintendo, 02/24/23) – 3,123 (451,178)
  13. [PS4] Street Fighter 6 (Capcom, 06/02/23) – 3,078 (25,384)
  14. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 3,009 (7,483,202)
  15. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 2,995 (1,250,707)
  16. [PS5] Diablo IV (Blizzard Entertainment, 06/06/23) – 2,539 (31,816)
  17. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 1,991 (1,131,136)
  18. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 1,736 (1,161,089)
  19. [NSW] FRONT MISSION 1st: Remake (Rainy Frog, 06/15/23) – 1,702 (6,593)
  20. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 1,699 (2,885,784)
  21. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/11/19) – 1,696 (1,269,933)
  22. [NSW] Sonic Origins Plus (SEGA, 06/23/23) – 1,661 (New)
  23. [PS4] Diablo IV (Blizzard Entertainment, 06/06/23) – 1,540 (12,595)
  24. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 1,477 (1,036,788)
  25. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (Bandai Namco, 09/22/22) – 1,467 (184,721)
  26. [NSW] Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection (ATLUS, 06/01/23) – 1,463 (47,636)
  27. [NSW] We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie (Bandai Namco, 06/02/23) – 1,380 (14,447)
  28. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Special Price (SEGA, 11/17/22) – 1,319 (70,422)
  29. [NSW] ARK: Survival Evolved (Spike Chunsoft, 02/24/23) – 1,214 (54,235)
  30. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo, 06/28/19) – 1,187 (1,298,676)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Shat the fuck nintendo switch....you're supposed to be sunsetting right now....Still beating ps5 with its biggest Japanese orientated game this year.....

Numbers for ffxvi seem OK though? Maybe a little light.

MrA

Banned
Good sales for FFXVI. Hopefully the drop next week will be less than 70%.
Even a 70% drop would be phenomenal, even 80% would be great by ff standards
Anyway ff16 definitely performed better than comg implied
But it will need legs to be an excellent performance

Shat the fuck nintendo switch....you're supposed to be sunsetting right now....Still beating ps5 with its biggest Japanese orientated game this year.....

Numbers for ffxvi seem OK though? Maybe a little light.
I wouldn’t go that far, the game was more intended to western audience.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Apparently the sell through rate is really good.

This game started with a BANG all over the world, I’m seeing now it building more legs in the coming weeks everywhere.

This is the ARR the single player franchise needed. Could potentially be a new beginning, an entire franchise reborn and not just one chapter. They have to build from here and never stop now. Go CBU3 go!!!

Last edited:
Yeah it's the perfect sell through. Means retailers guessed the right amount.
Is that right though? I feel like if it's up to a 90% sell through rate that would mean that many locations would be out of stock. Therefore if some consumers were looking to acquire it and didn't have it in stock they may not have bought it when the otherwise had intention to.

Woopah

Is that right though? I feel like if it's up to a 90% sell through rate that would mean that many locations would be out of stock. Therefore if some consumers were looking to acquire it and didn't have it in stock they may not have bought it when the otherwise had intention to.
If its around 95% like Ghost of Tsushima you had then it can be out of stock. But the 80 to 90% range is pretty good for RPGs have since they don't tend to be leggy. Its what Fire Emblem Engage did at launch.

Astral Dog

Digital sales should push FFXVI above Persona 5 and some Dragon Quest but below Kingdom Hearts 3 i guess

Not the best but for a PS5 game these appear to be good numbers 👍

Top Bottom