• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4's villain is not gay.

Monocle

He stereotyped a character as gay simply for wearing pink and being flamboyant.

It may not mean he's homophobic, but it does prove how ignorantly narrow his worldview is. Stereotyping gays as pink wearing and super-flamboyant is incredibly insulting, and honestly he should feel ashamed for perpetuating such an ignorant stereotype.
Maybe he was familiar with the ridiculous trope of crazy gay villains and noticed that Far Cry 4's villain fits the stereotype. It's not homophobic to identify a possible instance of stereotyping.

"Uh oh, he's wearing a vibrant suit, HE'S GAY AND YOU'RE HOMOPHOBIC, UBISOFT!"

People should ease up on the knee-jerk offended schtick.

Uhyve

There used to be a very common trope in fiction where flamboyant gay characters were portrayed as villains / perverts / perverted villains, exploiting the ugliest stereotypes of gay people as disordered weirdos and rapists, relying on homophobia for cheap drama. It's very similar to the way Asian villains were designed to exploit and reinforce racism and xenophobia in the 20th century.

That's actually a very sparse TVtropes page for a "very common trope", especially when consider the following quote:

Please note that a villain simply being gay is not enough for this trope to be in effect. His brand of evil must involve a sexual nature and/or some uncomfortable flirting. Or even better, outright threats of rape/molestation. Before adding an example, think of whether he'd be any different if he wasn't gay.

The parallels between the 'Is Link female' thread and this is actually pretty funny. Just as I'd like to see a female link, I'd quite like to see a well realized gay bad guy, I can't see the Far Cry writers being the ones to do it, but if they could it would be interesting to see. That would not fit the trope and quite clearly, we've not seen enough to even consider whether he would at this point.

pa22word

Maybe he was familiar with the ridiculous trope of crazy gay villains and noticed that Far Cry 4's villain fits the stereotype.

Except he doesn't fit the stereotype because he's not gay, and there was nothing in the trailer to suggest he was.

Grakl

He stereotyped a character as gay simply for wearing pink and being flamboyant.

It may not mean he's homophobic, but it does prove how ignorantly narrow his worldview is. Stereotyping gays as pink wearing and super-flamboyant is incredibly insulting, and honestly he should feel ashamed for perpetuating such an ignorant stereotype.

no, he said that he was worried ubisoft stereotyped gay men and possibly made that stereotype into a villain, and how this result would be deplorable. he has nothing to be ashamed of, and how he came to his conclusion (which included more than the dude wearing pink, which people completely ignore in this thread repeatedly) makes sense to me, as another gay guy myself

Parapraxis

Try these, for a start. There are literally hundreds of others.

In comparison to all the many other villains in film/games/anime/comics, etc, that is an extremely short list which ignores any non-stereotypical portrayal of gay villains, and that list doesn't even necessarily explain how any such portrayal was stereotypical.

It looks to be fairly shallow research with a fair amount of conflation and opinion.

Monocle

That's actually a very sparse TVtropes page for a "very common trope", especially when consider the following quote:

The parallels between the 'Is Link female' thread and this is actually pretty funny. Just as I'd like to see a female link, I'd quite like to see a well realized gay bad guy, I can't see the Far Cry writers being the ones to do it, but if they could it would be interesting to see. That would not fit the trope and quite clearly, we've not seen enough to even consider whether he would at this point.
If you think one page represents the actual gamut of stereotypical gay characters, I have no idea what to tell you. Never mind if that was the one example I produced. It's enough to establish that the trope is a thing and I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

Except he doesn't fit the stereotype because he's not gay, and there was nothing in the trailer to suggest he was.
He fits the stereotype to the extent that he's an unpredictable flamboyant psycho. It's nice that subverts the trope by being straight, but let's not pretend it's homophobic to see his design and wonder if he's another insulting gay villain.

Mononoke

Banned
Said this in another thread. BUT...even if he was gay, and was flamboyant and eccentric, there is nothing wrong with that. It only becomes an issue when these stereotypes are over used for all representation of gay people (who are not all the same, and who are diverse just like anyone else), or if the character was solely defined by this (rather than their personality, or being written well).

This idea that no character or gay person can ever be portrayed that way, is pretty ridiculous. I also think it's unfair to judge, when no one actually has played the game (and therefore doesn't know anything about the character). How can we determine if he's a poorly written character when we know nothing about him? I don't mind having the discussion. I think it's always good too debate topics like this. So to be clear, I'm not saying that we shouldn't have the discussion about stereotypes. I'm even fine with people discussing their concern about this character. But I don't get those that were outright condemning it and assuming it was going to be offensive or bad.

It never once crossed my mind that this guy could be gay when watching that video hell he struck me as a cross between a rich eccentric and the Joker.

astraycat

It's less about whether or not the character is actually gay. It's just that some or all of the gay stereotype is applied to villains quite often (they're also pretty much never explicitly gay), and well, it's just plain disheartening how endemic it is in media.

For example, take this comedy bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFyo9b4_6iY

He sure seems to have a lot of examples to pull from, and he makes nowhere near an exhaustive list. I saw a video once explicitly examining this, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

More importantly though, it doesn't matter if he's gay or not. It's the stereotype that matters -- it's the association of the gay stereotype with villains that has some people worried.

Of course, we'll have to see how he actually acts. He could just be eccentric. However, if he happens to be flamboyant and effeminate, then it doesn't really matter whether or not he's actually gay -- this is just picking at the scab.

Parapraxis

Even if he was gay and the villain, don't people love villains?

Apparently not if there is an opportunity to feel offence.
It also completely precludes the notion that any gay person could ever have a certain sense of humour and/or laugh at a certain type of homosexual portrayal within their community.
This couldn't be farther from the truth IMO, As I said earlier, I grew up with my parents having gay friends, they RARELY found offence in things many here would be screaming bloody murder about, such as Kids in the Hall, or other comedy shows that involved cross-dressing (often by gays) and extremely flamboyant "stereotypical" characters.

Monocle

In comparison to all the many other villains in film/games/anime/comics, etc, that is an extremely short list which ignores any non-stereotypical portrayal of gay villains, and that list doesn't even necessarily explain how any such portrayal was stereotypical.

It looks to be fairly shallow research with a fair amount of conflation and opinion.
You're right, let me spend five hours gathering sources that demonstrate homophobia exists and was brazenly reflected in media until very recently.

shem935

Banned
You're right, let me spend five hours gathering sources that demonstrate homophobia exists and was brazenly reflected in media until very recently.

Burden of proof is on the prosecution not the defense.

Edit: Not trying to take sides in this.

Boss Mog

I guess I'm 2 for 2 since my initial impressions of him from first seeing the boxart was that he was neither white nor gay.

pa22word

no, he said that he was worried ubisoft stereotyped gay men

Except they didn't, and he stereotyped homosexual men in the process in order to make his claim. Which makes it shameful as his stereotype was ignorant, highly insulting, and laughably ironic given the context of the thread. The fact that he is homosexual himself is no excuse, as he should definitely know better.

shem935

Banned
Boss★Moogle;116620793 said:
I guess I'm 2 for 2 since my initial impressions of him from first seeing the boxart was that he was neither white nor gay.

Will Mr. Moogle survive the next Far Cry controversy with his streak intact? Tune in next week to find out!

Monocle

Burden of proof is on the prosecution not the defense.

Edit: Not trying to take sides in this.
No shit, but it's pretty ridiculous for someone to refuse to acknowledge such a common phenomenon until I put myself through my paces.

Internet arguments, how do they work? (By acting obtuse and refusing to budge an inch, apparently.)

Kinsei

Banned
Except they didn't, and he stereotyped homosexual men in the process in order to make his claim. Which makes it shameful as his stereotype was ignorant, highly insulting, and laughably ironic given the context of the thread. The fact that he is homosexual himself is no excuse, as he should definitely know better.

He didn't see a gay person, he saw a stereotype of a gay person. That's kind of the fucking point. If he saw someone walking down the street in the same outfit, he wouldn't automatically assume the guy is gay.

Grakl

uh, he specifically said that if the character was gay and displayed all the stereotypes of a gay man then it would be disrespectful

look, gay men have the stereotype that they are effiminate and wear things that are effiminate. gay villains also stereotypically display dominance over other men to the point of degrading both the subject and the object (where the subject is the gay villain and the object is who he is dominating). it isn't a stretch to make the claim that ubisoft is writing a stereotypically gay character, and once again, he had a few reasons to believe it.

because the guy isn't gay, then cool, they didn't make a stereotypically gay character. what he was saying was contingent on the villain being stereotypically gay -- notice the "possible" and other words like possible stated multiple times in his post. no harm done, dude is straight

no gay dude is offended from killerisjed's post, come on

pa22word

He fits the stereotype to the extent that he's an unpredictable flamboyant psycho. It's nice that subverts the trope by being straight, but let's not pretend it's homophobic to see his design and wonder if he's another insulting gay villain.

Ubisoft is subverting the trope by crapping out a highly transparent Joker (a highly inspirational character that has existing for close to 100 years now) clone?

Or are you saying every flamboyant man in a light colored flashy suit is subverting this trope? Man, the '70s and '80s sure were a highly subversive time for media, I guess...

Parapraxis

No shit, but it's pretty ridiculous for someone to refuse to acknowledge such a common phenomenon until I put myself through my paces. Internet arguments, how do they work?

I never said they don't exist, just that I don't think that "gay villains" are as prevalent as you make them out to be, let alone terribly stereotypical ones.

shem935

Banned
No shit, but it's pretty ridiculous for someone to refuse to acknowledge such a common phenomenon until I put myself through my paces.

Internet arguments, how do they work? (By acting obtuse and refusing to budge an inch, apparently.)

He wasn't refusing to acknowledge the trend he said your source was shit.

To put it in layman's terms.

Parapraxis

Ubisoft is subverting the trope by crapping out a highly transparent Joker (a highly inspirational character that has existing for close to 100 years now) clone?

Or are you saying every flamboyant man in a light colored flashy suit is subverting this trope? Man, the '70s and '80s sure were a highly subversive time for media, I guess...

Hey, I worked in a bakery, I'm fairly gentle in character and I had to wear all white...plenty of girls I was literally pursuing thought I was gay at first.

Did I give a fuck...no (though I hated the uniform)
Was it surprising when I realized I had to basically tell them I wasn't gay...yeah, a little bit.

Stereotypes can be an awful thing, i think they are especially bad when people see them when they aren't even there!

He didn't see a gay person, he saw a stereotype of a gay person. That's kind of the fucking point. If he saw someone walking down the street in the same outfit, he wouldn't automatically assume the guy is gay.

To be fair he actually admits to stereotyping in the post.

Before Ubi finally confirmed Pagan was not gay I figured he was one of those mythical, rare creatures called Metrosexuals.Ya know, someone who's heterosexual, but has an interest in fashion and looks fabulous as fuck.
Apparently people keep forgetting metros do exist.

He wasn't the villain, which is the stereotypical issue.

I don't see why a flamboyant gay villain is more offensive than a flamboyant gay protagonist. Michael Bay's ghetto Autobots in TF2 were plenty offensive despite fighting on the side of good.

It really comes down to the writing, and to preemptively throw Ubi under the bus after FC3 had one of the best villains in recent memory was, in retrospect, really unfair. "The villain is racist" complaints were even more confusing for me - he's the villain, I'm already assuming he's kind of a dick. Why can't a videogame villain be an unapologetic racist?

Crayons

Banned
no gay dude is offended from killerisjed's post, come on

I can't say I was thrilled

Before reading that thread, it didn't occur to me that the antagonist could be gay. He just looked like a guy who had way too much money and spent it on gaudy clothing to assert his power (both physically, the way he had his hand on the guy's head on the cover) and financially (being in expensive clothing while his soldier is in an old uniform).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If you think one page represents the actual gamut of stereotypical gay characters, I have no idea what to tell you. Never mind if that was the one example I produced. It's enough to establish that the trope is a thing and I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

..wa..... wait what? THAT'S a homophobic stereotype that's... like ... real???

"Flamboyantly Gay Psychopaths are ruining america with all their wanton but also deviously stylish violence!!!" LoL wtf

Uhyve

Oh there's plenty of stereotypical gay characters in media as a whole, but when you boil it down to baddy gay characters in video games, I don't think it's possible to describe that as a stereotype because it's actually incredibly rare.

DOWN

Banned
This whole thing is stupid. How is an evil character being gay negative to gays anyway? Good lord. Evil straight people don't really matter.

Well considering how gay characters number less, it becomes a major example as one of only a few in major recent roles. Which makes that character's behaviors easy to misinterpret by those who have had few fair or positive examples to have become previously familiar with.

But why anyone thought they should assume Far Cry 4 was depicting a gay character based on his suit and hair is indeed a bit irrational.

fanboi

Banned
Wait, the LGBT was afraid that he was mis represent their Community?

So a gay person can't be a pshyco dictator/terrorist then?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm split three ways. It is sterotyping, there should be mainline gay character portrayed with less sterotypes, but this villian would be a really great flamboyant gay villian. Him sadistically killing a lover then kissing him and such.

Savitar

.......................am I the only one who thinks the guy has aged pretty damn good if the woman he was in love with had a kid who is now a teenager?

The guy doesn't seem that old.

Top Bottom