• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4's villain is not gay.

Faith

Asking people not to judge by the look of someone. Thinks a character is gay because he is wearing pink.

Double moral standards, lol.

Its so typical that a non white person is the bad guy.

i62WOjavsZEZt.gif

Chariot

Asking people not to judge by the look of someone. Thinks a character is gay because he is wearing pink.

Double moral standards, lol.
Yeah, had to chuckle when I saw this and thought about how hard the guys in the other thread fought against a gay villain.

SJRB

Gold Member
The whole faux-controversy surrounding this character is one of the worst things I've read this whole year. Double standards, concern-trolling, faux-outrage based on nothing but assumptions.

It's absurd.

.......................am I the only one who thinks the guy has aged pretty damn good if the woman he was in love with had a kid who is now a teenager?

The guy doesn't seem that old.

... I suppose you aren't around Asian guys that often? Many look very young as they age and they tend to lose less hair/hair colouring, in my experience.

Trejik

I think I remember Heavy Rain having gay chatacters. Someone correct me if wrong, but that seems like the game and studio to have one.

OT: I believe in Troy Baker 1-uping Vaas. Go Pagan!

Authority

Banned
Don't worry, social justice warriors will find another thing to complain about.

Just look at what they're saying about AC Unity.

What is a social justice warrior? Is it a new game like dynasty warriors?

And regarding the other poster I agree. He went overboard but we all make mistakes.

Anyway, I didn't think he was gay. I thought he was bisexual but to be fair I find it hard to guess the sexuality of these type of characters. Is the villain Asian? It is early in the morning so yeah.

IvorB

Now all those people that were complaining about him being gay have some questions to answer about stereotyping. How the tables have turned.

Hopefully this kills any worries of misrepresentation.

Of what?

I have gay friends and know other people who are openly gay.

Some are the nicest people I've ever known. Some are the biggest pricks I've ever known.

This forum is full of fuckwits at the moment, trying to think too much into having every fucking type of different person in the universe represented in games.

If the villain was gay it would have been like any possibility... you can be ANY type of person (yes even bad, flamboyant, psycho...) and still have your own choice of sexual preference.

People need to grow up, get outside a bit more and stop thinking too much into videogames.

Darklord

Banned
I kinda wish he was. You hardly see gay characters in games and a a cold ruthless gay villain would be interesting, it's not something you see often, and we all know the villains are the coolest characters.

derfybzh

I don't care if he's gay or not, I don't care if he's black or not, I don't care if I play with a woman or not, I care if the game is good or not.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Of what?

I have gay friends and know other people who are openly gay.

Some are the nicest people I've ever known. Some are the biggest pricks I've ever known.

This forum is full of fuckwits at the moment, trying to think too much into having every fucking type of different person in the universe represented in games.

If the villain was gay it would have been like any possibility... you can be ANY type of person (yes even bad, flamboyant, psycho...) and still have your own choice of sexual preference.

People need to grow up, get outside a bit more and stop thinking too much into videogames.

While I disagree with this in the sense it's a game forum and this is what people are here for, I agree with you on everything else. People are getting ridiculous and assuming so much of what they think people want and what games need in terms of representation. Real answer is, there are just so many different types of people and style that misrepresenation can't possibly be a real thing. Believe it or not, some people DO fit stereotypes, that's just a really small fact of life, and people who get overworked on the little things are missing the point on real issues.

Harlequin

Skyfall and Ninja Scroll come to mind. Or are we just talking games? Wasn't one of the MGS3 villains gay?

Wasn't Skyfall's villain bi? I remember him having a girlfriend. But then, Skyfall doesn't really count because that movie's "story" was really more a poor excuse to string as many non-sensical, random action scenes together as possible rather than an actual story. Still can't believe that the guy who wrote that bullshit is the same guy who's writing the greatness that is Penny Dreadful.

IvorB

I kinda wish he was. You hardly see gay characters in games and a a cold ruthless gay villain would be interesting, it's not something you see often, and we all know the villains are the coolest characters.

I too would like to see that. Something like Yurimaru from Ninja Scrolls
Ninja2.jpg

Or even Gemma (although he's bi).
Gemma.jpg

Kinyou

People really embarrassed themselves over this game if you ask me. Prematurely jumping to conclusions doesn't help anyone and makes people look over eager to find something they can get offended by.

Winter John

Gold Member
It's an unfortunate trend these days that some people are so eager and willing to pick up their torches and start a witch hunt over the slightest and most insignificant things, such as a pink suit and a bad haircut

Tacitus_

Good grief. The white man oppressing the country isn't white and isn't a bad stereotype of gay people as it turns out, wearing pink doesn't make you gay.

I guess looking at how people dress around there would have been too much to do before getting the outrage on. For reference, here's the king of Bhutan, a country in the Himalayas, looking fabulous next to his wife.
BlxSgHn.jpg

Winter John

Gold Member
Good grief. The white man oppressing the country isn't white and isn't a bad stereotype of gay people as it turns out, wearing pink doesn't make you gay.

I guess looking at how people dress around there would have been too much to do before getting the outrage on. For reference, here's the king of Bhutan, a country in the Himalayas, looking fabulous next to his wife.
BlxSgHn.jpg

I think he's wearing my gran's curtains

RoadHazard

Gold Member
People were mad people were killing black inarticulate stereotypes of black people in Africa.

Like grass skirt with a spear guy.

Because most people in Africa aren't black? Capcom adding in a bunch of white and hispanic (I think?) people just made the whole thing even more silly. And there were never any "grass skirt" people in the game that I can remember?

Kinyou

Because most people in Africa aren't black? Capcom adding in a bunch of white and hispanic (I think?) people just made the whole thing even more silly. And there were never any "grass skirt" people in the game that I can remember?
There are grass skirt guys in the swamp section of the game. However do I recall people already complaining after the first trailer which didn't show any of the grass skirt people

Glass Rebel

All this time I thought he had been confirmed as gay before because everyone was acting like he was and now I find out people just assumed he was gay because he's wearing pink and has funky hair?

christ

MCN

Banned
The whole faux-controversy surrounding this character is one of the worst things I've read this whole year. Double standards, concern-trolling, faux-outrage based on nothing but assumptions.

It's absurd.

Seems to be a lot of that these days. People seem to be climbing over each other to express outrage at nothing in order to try and look like they care about...something, I guess.

Getting offended on other people's behalf is incredibly offensive, as it's essentially you telling them, in your infinite wisdom as a middle-class white male, what they should be offended about.

GavinUK86

BlxSgHn.jpg

But... but... there's flowers on his clothes. And it looks like a dress. He... he must be gay!

Riiight?

/s

Adry9

I though we lived in 2014 and everyone already moved past the "he's wearing pink and he's dressing nice so he must be gay" thinking. Guess some people haven't.

Also, the gay community, WTF made you think he was gay?

Tizoc

I don't care if he's gay or straight. He looks like a douche and I will continue to question why no one bothered to blow his head up with a shotgun or rifle as I wreck shit with my Elephant in this game when I get it.

BlxSgHn.jpg

Dude is a proud yellow belt in karate.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
that whole discussion was beyond the point of absurdity and logic. Some people assumed he was gay because of his flamboyant style and feared that could be disrespectful, but isn't assuming one person is gay for his dressing style already disrespectful per se?

E92 M3

Man, people just have to have controversy for everything. Who cares what he is...let's hope the game is fun. Video games are about having fun and personal escapes. This trend of extracting social commentary from everything is rather annoying.

Top Bottom