• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Father who repeatedly raped his 12-year old daughter gets 60-day sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Are you seriously actively defending a child rapist?

No, I'm not sure what about my arguments give you that impression. I have made the point that being whipped into a frenzy by a news article is unwise since there is probably a lot of information that outsiders are not privy to.

Judges are human buddy, they can fuck and be shitty people just like the rest of us. They are by no means infallible because of their office and can be scrutinized like the rest of humanity.

I fully agree, but you need some more evidence for this specific judge to be a shitty person than just this sentence.

For example, if it came to light that this guy has given several very lenient sentences to child rapists then we can assume that he has some kind of agenda and is clearly not fit to be a judge. Maybe that's the case here. We don't know.

Are you having fun turning the entire forum against you? Nobody pays attention to you in real life?

I think he has to just be trolling at this point. There's devil's advocate, and then there's just being a garbage human being. He cross that line a looong time ago.

notaskwid

He should be arrested and put in a mental institution. A mother that defends a man that raped her daughter (that so happens to be the father of that children) and her "family stability" over the best interest of the daughter should not be allowed to be a mother at all.

Boney

Banned
Without a restraining order this whole thing is revolting. If psychiatric treatment is better he could when more stable be forced to pay an alimony while also not having the necessity to occupy the crowded prison system. But it reads instead as a slap in the wrist for his best interest.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Perhaps not. But clearly the judge thinks that there is. He appears to be very experienced. If you place any weight upon the expertise of judges then this fact must necessarily increase your confidence in the rightness of this judgment.

You seriously need to stop posting and go do some reading about "experienced" judges and how they have been known to treat rape victims. Educate yourself.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This asshole would have gotten more time if he had not paid his taxes. Ridiculous.

No, I'm not sure what about my arguments give you that impression. I have made the point that being whipped into a frenzy by a news article is unwise since there is probably a lot of information that outsiders are not privy to.

Like fucking what!? Tell us what potential evidence could have possibly existed which justifies this sentence? I'm waiting.

Ferr986

Fuck this shit, how in the fuck is this possible?

The kids? Give me a fucking break, you can't let the kids stay with a friggin rapist father. What kind of parenting a rapist can do to these kids?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I fully agree, but you need some more evidence for this specific judge to be a shitty person than just this sentence.

For example, if it came to light that this guy has given several very lenient sentences to child rapists then we can assume that he has some kind of agenda and is clearly not fit to be a judge. Maybe that's the case here. We don't know.

Stop saying we don't know. Rape is terrible. Multiple rapings by a family member who is in charge of raising you is horrible. A 60 day sentence for a guilty verdict that should have this guy locked up for decades is SUSPECT as all hell. Making the girl live with a family who doesn't seem to give a shit that she is being raped over and over again is absolute insanity. I don't care if the Supreme Court passed that judgement down it would be suspicious as all fucking Hell.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at with this,"We don't know, trust the judge" bull shit.

Symphonia

Banned
You're defending the judge's decision to 'sentence' the father to a mere sixty days, even going as far to say it's fair. You are, by extension, defending the rapist.

For example, if it came to light that this guy has given several very lenient sentences to child rapists then we can assume that he has some kind of agenda and is clearly not fit to be a judge.

If he did have a history of doing that, why wouldn't you be defending him with the same logic you're using now?

If you're going to play devil's advocate, be consistent about it.

Linkark07

Banned

What kind of excuse could he possibly have for raping his 12 years old daughter?

Breads

Banned
Yep. I was raped and abused by my grandad at a young age. I was too scared to tell anyone what was going on until I was around 15. So I was around my abuser a hell of alot, hiding the shit he had done to me time after time. I hated myself for not having the guts to stick up for myself or tell any one. So I use to make excuses up so I didn't have to go. If my family had known about it and just played it of I would have killed myself rsther then suffer more abuse.

Since we're sharing now I'll go ahead and put my experiance in there. I was abused by several figures growing up. Whether or not they were in on it I don't know. It all came from authority figures (friends parents, cousin's family, extended family etc) and it always involved members of the military (probably due to my close proximity to the military) or the church.

Basically goes down like this.

Shit happens. We talk about it and the parents/ etc don't believe us. Because we weren't educated on certain things we didn't know what words to use or how to describe what went on. And when we were old enough to figure it out on our own we were discouraged from talking about it because it isn't polite or we were dreaming or whatever. The accusations are dangerous without proof. Then there are instances where they turn it around on us and accused of doing it to other people and we were basically threated that if we came out with it we would get in trouble too.

Parents, aunts, uncles, friends dad, cousin's mom fuck... everyone knew but pretended not to. It was a secret shame that apparently everyone knew about and had stories of. And yet for the sake of the adults feeling comfortable nothing was ever done to stop it as long as the adults didn't catch one another in the act basically. I talk about it now as I'm in my 30s and everyone gets upset or tries to pass it off as me being obsessed with perversion or some other bullshit deflection. Noone is having it. And yet when one of the child molesters/ rapists dies that's when it's apparently okay to air out their dirty laundry as the former authority figures who were supposed to be protecting us claim that they did in fact protect us (but didn't want to traumatize us by overeacting!). Conflicts were always kept between the adults or the church. Contacting the police was a nono because then alll the families would break apart and everyone would hate us because it would be our, the victim's fault.

Fuck this man. Fuck this judge.

Normalizing rape and child abuse with a slap on the wrist and the wag of the finger not to do it again. The fuck is wrong with you.

HStallion

Maybe he had good reason to repeatedly rape his 12 year old daughter in front of his wife..��

But we don't know every single shred of evidence about the case and maybe this experienced judge know's better than a bunch of blood lust filled strangers on the internet! I mean is multiple rapes of a father by a daughter really deserving of 25 years in prison? Who am I to know, I'm not a judge. Making her move back in with her assailant seems like the right decision by the court so we should all abide by it too. Courts in the US have never showed bias or treated people like shit before of course!

Media

I like how he stopped responding to me I called his 'we can't know if the child was actually traumatized ' bullshit into question. My gut feeling is that he is or knows the judge or family, otherwise he would be so adamant.

Since we're sharing now I'll go ahead and put my experiance in there. I was abused by several figures growing up. Whether or not they were in on it I don't know. It all came from authority figures (friends parents, cousin's family, extended family etc) and it always involved members of the military (probably due to my close proximity to the military) or the church.

Shit happens. We talk about it and the parents/ etc don't believe us. Because we weren't educated on certain things we didn't know what words to use or how to describe what went on. And when we were old enough to figure it out on our own we were discouraged from talking about it because it isn't polite or we were dreaming or whatever. The accusations are dangerous without proof. Then there are instances where they turn it around on us and accused of doing it to other people and we were basically threated that if we came out with it we would get in trouble too.

Parents, aunts, uncles, friends dad, cousin's mom fuck... everyone knew but pretended not to. It was a secret shame that apparently everyone knew about and had stories of. And yet for the sake of the adults feeling comfortable nothing was ever done to stop it as long as the adults didn't catch one another in the act basically. I talk about it now as I'm in my 30s and everyone gets upset or tries to pass it off as me being obsessed with perversion or some other bullshit deflection. Noone is having it. And yet when one of the child molesters/ rapists dies that's when it's apparently okay to air out their dirty laundry as the former authority figures who were supposed to be protecting us claim that they did in fact protect us (but didn't want to traumatize us by overeacting!). Conflicts were always kept between the adults or the church. Contacting the police was a nono because then alll the families would break apart and everyone would hate us because it would be our, the victim's fault.

Normalizing rape and child abuse with a slap on the wrist and the wag of the finger not to do it again. The fuck is wrong with you.

Can I send you an e-hug?

sohois

No, because judges are human, they are not infallible. Judges make horrible decisions all the time. Hell it's why we even have an appeals systems, because we know that judicial decisions can be wrong. So no, unlike you i'm not going to put blanket trust in this man just because he's "experienced".

Yes the judge can fucking assume that repeated rape will have traumatized a little girl. There's billions of cases for example. Do you think rape is no big deal or something?

You're saying this as if Judges can't be wrong or biased. I'm guessing a judge saying that a terrorist evisecertating an entire population of people is not that big of a criminal offense to keep in jail but better to rehabilitate is something that's completely right as well....because that's what the judge says.

The judge is the only word that matters. Not what happened, not what the LAW actually dictates in any situations... Nothing... The judge, your honor is always right... Because that's what you are trying to justify here by trying to sound smarter than the situation because you don't want to come off emotional about what seems to you like a pretty justifiable case, if THAT'S what the judge says.... 🚮

You need to stop. Judges are human and humans aren't always right.

Let me explain clearly; if you have any faith in the criminal justice system, you most likely assume that judges are on average correct in their sentencing decisions. If not, then you must believe that the justice system is a failure - if that's the case, fair enough, you can think this is a miscarriage of justice.

But if you do trust the average judgement, then you should have some prior belief in this judgment. Let's say you think judges are correct 90% of the time. Now, even if you think in this case that there is a very high probability of the judge being incorrect, or corrupt, or whatever, it should still only shift your confidence in the judge slightly, not nearly enough to think that he must be incompetent or whatever you think.

Thus. to believe the judge needs to be locked up or punished for his incompetence, you must either have a very low opinion of judges in general, or you must have considerably more evidence for this specific judge to be incompetent.

HStallion

Let me explain clearly; if you have any faith in the criminal justice system, you most likely assume that judges are on average correct in their sentencing decisions. If not, then you must believe that the justice system is a failure - if that's the case, fair enough, you can think this is a miscarriage of justice.

But if you do trust the average judgement, then you should have some prior belief in this judgment. Let's say you think judges are correct 90% of the time. Now, even if you think in this case that there is a very high probability of the judge being incorrect, or corrupt, or whatever, it should still only shift your confidence in the judge slightly, not nearly enough to think that he must be incompetent or whatever you think.

Thus. to believe the judge needs to be locked up or punished for his incompetence, you must either have a very low opinion of judges in general, or you must have considerably more evidence for this specific judge to be incompetent.

Hint hint buddy, a lot of people have an incredibly low opinion on our criminal justice system in the US and for some very good reasons. This shouldn't be new or surprising to anyone as of late especially involving rape cases. Stop acting like you're the words of wisdom and the only one who seems to have a grasp on the situation because yours appears tenuous at best and based on some idea that judges can't be terrible people or make poor decisions in their judgement.

This is a ridiculous assumption to make. Just because a judge has experience doesn't mean they are experts in every potential field. For all we know this could've been the first rape case the judge has every dealt with. Assume that just because he has general experience, that this would translate to him knowing what he was doing in this case is ridiculous.

Also yes, when it comes to case of rape and sexual assault, I do have very little confidence in the justice system.

Media

Again, having been raped and been subject to the justice system, no I have no fucking faith in it. My own rapist was my father, and he raped me from a young age until I was a teen and finally told. I might as well have not, since he got a sentence similar to this case. I guess that judge knew what he was doing too! Interesting how all these judges seemy to, like you, think rape is no big deal.

Again, are you connected to the judge or family in some way? That's the only thing that would make your defense of this case make sense.

If the judge can't satisfactorily explain why 2 months is sufficient for a father raping his daughter then why are you putting all this trust in him in the first place? Why are you placing faith in this particular judge's judgement if he can't even convince you that this is due punishment without a doubt?The justice system is not perfect, period. So claiming this must be a proper verdict because of percentages and averages you pulled from nowhere makes zero sense.

What's funny is he doesn't know shit himself but he instead would rather take the position of believing that what the judge says is more just than the humans who have to deal with this shit.

True privileged fuckery. Give the benefit of the doubt to the judge, but the victim? We don't know enough so it's not right for any of us to feel any type of way on how this situation was handled, when the man himself wasn't even found as innocent....

It doesn't fucking matter if the reason why he got off light was because the mom knew and was forced into bringing the case into a court.. At the end of the day, it was a BAD call because this empathizes with the rapist and not the raped. The child is not the one given the benefit of the doubt and she isn't even getting the light end of the stick. There was nothing fair or just about this regardless of the ruling because he was coddled more in this situation while she was told to deal BY BOTH SIDES.

The fact that you want to sit here and take seat on the judges corner for some fake naive bs that there just has to be more we don't know because an experienced individual could just never make a mistake and their ABSOLUTELY needs to be proof to prove otherwise which is something that will likely never happen because how often do we ever find corruption in rape cases, is really some real ass trifling shit.

Choosing to ignore the issue by sticking by the law doesn't make you smarter or more rational. Acting like you are too good for empathy for the victim and because the rest of us just jump out of the emotions says more about you than it does us. You're playing yourself with every single post.

Beefy

Fuck! sorry to hear that, I haven't a clue what you are going through. I am lucky and had a family that believed me and all stood by me. My parents etc didn't know what was going on.

But I am sure my nan was the only other person that knew, but was too scared to say anything. She would always check up on me at night even when I was around 14, which I always thought as weird until all the past I had blocked came flooding back.

My so called grandad died before he got put on trial, which annoyed me a little. But it seems I wasn't the only person he did it to, the family close and extend have basically forgotten him and supported his victims.

This story just gets me so fucking angry that is basically being swept under the carpet to keep a family together. When the worst thing that can be done is keep it together.

sohois

Like fucking what!? Tell us what potential evidence could have possibly existed which justifies this sentence? I'm waiting.

I'm afraid I couldn't possibly say. "Information that has not been revealed" is a category with near infinite possibilities.

Stop saying we don't know. Rape is terrible. Multiple rapings by a family member who is in charge of raising you is horrible. A 60 day sentence for a guilty verdict that should have this guy locked up for decades is SUSPECT as all hell. Making the girl live with a family who doesn't seem to give a shit that she is being raped over and over again is absolute insanity. I don't care if the Supreme Court passed that judgement down it would be suspicious as all fucking Hell.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at with this,"We don't know, trust the judge" bull shit.

Certainly its suspect, certainly its suspicious. It warrants further investigation into the judges history and possibilities of some fault or corruption in the evidence. That doesnt mean it must be corrupt or that we should rush to condemn the decision.

You're defending the judge's decision to 'sentence' the father to a mere sixty days, even going as far to say it's fair. You are, by extension, defending the rapist.

I don't follow. Why is that by extension defending the rapist.

If he did have a history of doing that, why wouldn't you be defending him with the same logic you're using now?

If you're going to play devil's advocate, be consistent about it.

If he did have a history of lenient judgments, then that provides sufficient evidence to create a posterior judgement of incompetence, or corruption. The evidence would be fully against the judge and I would have zero reason to defend this decision

I like how he stopped responding to me I called his 'we can't know if the child was actually traumatized ' bullshit into question. My gut feeling is that he is or knows the judge or family, otherwise he would be so adamant.

My apologies; as you can see, a great many people are replying to me and as such it is difficult to respond to everyone.

I have no connection to this case. I don't even live in America.

If he did have a history of lenient judgments, then that provides sufficient evidence to create a posterior judgement of incompetence, or corruption. The evidence would be fully against the judge and I would have zero reason to defend this decision

You're defending him now on the basis that his years of experience means that this sentence is likely appropriate, and that there may be evidence in this case that has been withheld that he has factored in to his decision. So how would you know that he hasn't done that repeatedly, since he's such a rational person, and information from cases such as this often remains out of the public's view? If this one case isn't evidence enough for you that he has a problem with his sentencing, then multiple cases are equally meaningless in that regard because you could defend them with the exact same logic that you've used here.

Like I said, if you're going to pull this shit, be logically consistent.

The funny thing is, no one really called into question if the judge is 100% corrupt but it's entirely obvious that this sentence is very lite and much more damaging to the victims that the law is supposed to be fair and just to when it is always singlehandedly weighed heavily to one or the other.

A judge cannot be the end all be all in a rape case because the dynamics of rape can't be resolved in court... And it won't. The court system has yet to fix rape so the logical thing to do with these cases is to believe the judges decision than to call into question how this decision affects the real human side to this entire situation? It's like, this entire point goes over his head. I refuse quoting his ridiculous post to give any air to the bullshit he is trying to peddle as rational and smart.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...er-gets-60-day-sentence-fury-erupts/#comments

Completely unbelievable. What piece of shit parents. How the hell does a mother defend the man who raped her daughter? Fuck this guy.

I have a friend who was repeatedly raped by her stepfather when she was around the same age. When her mother found out, she was angry and spiteful towards the daughter, as if she was jealous of the affection her husband was showing the daughter. As if she blamed her daughter for ruining the perception she had of this man she loved. I don't think either of them ever recovered from it. I fucking despised her mother.

sohois

This is a ridiculous assumption to make. Just because a judge has experience doesn't mean they are experts in every potential field. For all we know this could've been the first rape case the judge has every dealt with. Assume that just because he has general experience, that this would translate to him knowing what he was doing in this case is ridiculous.

Also yes, when it comes to case of rape and sexual assault, I do have very little confidence in the justice system.

Hint hint buddy, a lot of people have an incredibly low opinion on our criminal justice system in the US and for some very good reasons. This shouldn't be new or surprising to anyone as of late especially involving rape cases. Stop acting like you're the words of wisdom and the only one who seems to have a grasp on the situation because yours appears tenuous at best and based on some idea that judges can't be terrible people or make poor decisions in their judgement.

Again, having been raped and been subject to the justice system, no I have no fucking faith in it. My own rapist was my father, and he raped me from a young age until I was a teen and finally told. I might as well have not, since he got a sentence similar to this case. I guess that judge knew what he was doing too! Interesting how all these judges seemy to, like you, think rape is no big deal.

Again, are you connected to the judge or family in some way? That's the only thing that would make your defense of this case make sense.

If you personally had no prior faith into any decision in the area of rape or sexual assault cases then I would not be able to disagree with your assessment of this case; I personally have a high prior belief in the ability of any random judge, hence why I do not instantly condemn in this case.

However, I am perfectly willing to accept that this is due to a lack of information on my part, and if I had more information on judgments in rape/sexual assault cases I may end up shifting my prior belief to the point where I too can instantly condemn this. It might be that in your cases you do have access to this information, which would be the source of our disagreement.

If the judge can't satisfactorily explain why 2 months is sufficient for a father raping his daughter then why are you putting all this trust in him in the first place? Why are you placing faith in this particular judge's judgement if he can't even convince you that this is due punishment without a doubt?The justice system is not perfect, period. So claiming this must be a proper verdict because of percentages and averages you pulled from nowhere makes zero sense.

Those percentages and averages were examples; I assume most people have some faith in the american criminal justice system though, and I think that is a fair assumption, thus prior confidence in judge ability would be above 50% I feel.

What's funny is he doesn't know shit himself but he instead would rather take the position of believing that what the judge says is more just than the humans who have to deal with this shit.

True privileged fuckery. Give the benefit of the doubt to the judge, but the victim? We don't know enough so it's not right for any of us to feel any type of way on how this situation was handled, when the man himself wasn't even found as innocent....

It doesn't fucking matter if the reason why he got off light was because the mom knew and was forced into bringing the case into a court.. At the end of the day, it was a BAD call because this empathizes with the rapist and not the raped. The child is not the one given the benefit of the doubt and she isn't even getting the light end of the stick. There was nothing fair or just about this regardless of the ruling because he was coddled more in this situation while she was told to deal BY BOTH SIDES.

The fact that you want to sit here and take seat on the judges corner for some fake naive bs that there just has to be more we don't know because an experienced individual could just never make a mistake and their ABSOLUTELY needs to be proof to prove otherwise which is something that will likely never happen because how often do we ever find corruption in rape cases, is really some real ass trifling shit.

Choosing to ignore the issue by sticking by the law doesn't make you smarter or more rational. Acting like you are too good for empathy for the victim and because the rest of us just jump out of the emotions says more about you than it does us. You're playing yourself with every single post.

Judges are perfectly capable of making mistakes, being overly lenient, being incompetent, or merely corrupt. But should we instantly assume that this judge is one of those?

Again, if you have some modicum of faith in American judges, you should not make this assumption without further information, otherwise your own beliefs are not consistent.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
You can't say because it doesn't fucking exist. So stop using it as an excuse.

Yeah, i'm going to have to side with sohois on this one, absense of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.

You're defending him now on the basis that his years of experience means that this sentence is likely appropriate, and that there may be evidence in this case that has been withheld that he has factored in to his decision. So how would you know that he hasn't done that repeatedly, since he's such a rational person, and information from cases such as this often remains out of the public's view?

Like I said, if you're going to pull this shit, be logically consistent.

Because sohois has already, in so many words, said that:

Oops.

But the judge can't go ahead and assume that without some kind of evidence - and that doesn't mean the girl would have to testify, the prosecution could use expert witnesses such as a child psychologist to make this point. If they didn't then that's the fault of the prosecution for not making their case well enough.

Perhaps not. But clearly the judge thinks that there is. He appears to be very experienced. If you place any weight upon the expertise of judges then this fact must necessarily increase your confidence in the rightness of this judgment.

First, clearly the prosecution did make their case well enough as the father was convicted. That means proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Second, there has been a disturbing pattern of leniency on rapists by judges in several high profile cases recently. To try and claim that someone should have an increased confidence in judges because of this particular sentence is disingenuous at best. A child was raped and the system, by any measurement, failed her.

Why are you so committed to defending the rapist and not the victim? I'm a big proponent of rehabilitation rather than punishment, but this case is disgusting in its failure to address the impact to the victim. You're hand-waving that impact, just as the court did.

Judges are perfectly capable of making mistakes, being overly lenient, being incompetent, or merely corrupt. But should we instantly assume that this judge is one of those?

Because of the outcome of this fucking case? No one is saying he's a shitty judge overall. I'm sure when he's dealing with parking ticket appeals he does a bang up job. But in this specific instance this was absolutely a wrong call. I still fail to see why your giving so much faith to this judge ability to sentence rapist just because of his general experience which may have fuck all to even do with sexual assault.

Media

If you personally had no prior faith into any decision in the area of rape or sexual assault cases then I would not be able to disagree with your assessment of this case; I personally have a high prior belief in the ability of any random judge, hence why I do not instantly condemn in this case.

However, I am perfectly willing to accept that this is due to a lack of information on my part, and if I had more information on judgments in rape/sexual assault cases I may end up shifting my prior belief to the point where I too can instantly condemn this. It might be that in your cases you do have access to this information, which would be the source of our disagreement.

Those percentages and averages were examples; I assume most people have some faith in the american criminal justice system though, and I think that is a fair assumption, thus prior confidence in judge ability would be above 50% I feel.

Again, if you have some modicum of faith in American judges, you should not make this assumption without further information, otherwise your own beliefs are not consistent.

Google rape case bad judge. And yes, considering the human aspect of this case, you know, the victim, one would assume you might think that perhaps the judge was bad since everything points to the victim being completely fucked over. She gets no justice, and has to continue to have contact with her rapist. How is that in any way you could twist it fair?

Yeah, i'm going to have to side with sohois on this one, absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.

You're taking that Denis pic far too seriously.

The judge came out and explain his reasoning for why he sentenced this way. If there was some magically piece of evidence that made the judge think it was okay to reduce the sentence this much, it would've been in his explanation. Sohois is using some made up evidence as a crutch.

Also I was asking him hypothetically what kind of evidence he thinks would be justified in reducing a sentence by this much.

You're missing the major point of why people are pissed. What in your opinion would justify 2 months for a child rapist? All you're relying on to claim that this verdict is fair is that the judge must be right because judges are usually right. That's not actually evidence. That is literally blind faith.

Media

America's justice system has a long, documented history of dealing with rape cases poorly. From bad judges (like this one) basically saying the rapist matters more than the victim, to police not testing rape kits, t victims being put on trail as much as the accuser, it's well documented. Netflix even recently did a documentary about two cases where the victims were mistreated. It's bad enough that only 10% of rape is even reported. Victims don't won't to deal with the trauma of the court system.

So yeah, taking the side of the rapist and judge in this highly suspect at best, truly ignorant at worst.

I'm not even sure why people are focusing on the legality of this so much.

The judge found him guilty, The man admitted guilt, and the mother witnessed it happening. Both legally and morally the man is fucking guilty.

The issue that people have is the judges discretion when sentencing. The state has a 25 minimum for this kind of verdict. But because of the mothers letter, the judge decided to use a loophole and give the man a 60 day sentence instead.

This is what people are mad about. I don't understand why people keep bringing up evidence, and his experience as if that should affect whether or not people can be morally outraged at a ridiculous sentence, and as if this judge didn't just find his ass guilty.

sohois

First, clearly the prosecution did make their case well enough as the father was convicted. That means proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Second, there has been a disturbing pattern of leniency on rapists by judges in several high profile cases recently. To try and claim that someone should have an increased confidence in judges because of this particular sentence is disingenuous at best. A child was raped and the system, by any measurement, failed her.

Why are you so committed to defending the rapist and not the victim? I'm a big proponent of rehabilitation rather than punishment, but this case is disgusting in its failure to address the impact to the victim. You're hand-waving that impact, just as the court did.

But there's a difference between proving someone committed a crime and proving that they did everything a prosecution says. For example, premeditation will give harsher sentences in any case, but a prosecution may succeed only in showing that someone did a crime and not that they planned it out ahead. I'm not saying that that is what occurred here, merely an example of how a prosecution can secure a guilty verdict without achieving maximum sentences

As to your second point, I am familiar with the tranche of rape cases where judgment has been far too lenient, or people have escaped justice, due to some political or other bullshit reason. However, I could not let anecdotal evidence have too much of an impact in my overall opinion of the criminal justice system.

For your final point, at no point in this thread have i said this criminal should have been found innocent. Nor have I said that this judgment was correct.. I have merely made the point that we cannot assume it must be incorrect.

Because of the outcome of this fucking case? No one is saying he's a shitty judge overall. I'm sure when he's dealing with parking ticket appeals he does a bang up job. But in this specific instance this was absolutely a wrong call. I still fail to see why your giving so much faith to this judge ability to sentence rapist just because of his general experience which may have fuck all to even do with sexual assault.

Because it would be odd to assume that a judge is capable in most areas of the law and uniquely incapable when it comes to rape cases. And yes, once again I am aware of the recent news stories showing judges having this problem, but they are in the end only anecdotes.

Google rape case bad judge. And yes, considering the human aspect of this case, you know, the victim, one would assume you might think that perhaps the judge was bad since everything points to the victim being completely fucked over. She gets no justice, and has to continue to have contact with her rapist. How is that in any way you could twist it fair?

See my point above.

As for the girl, I would certainly not say this is fair for her. It might prove to be highly unfair for the victim, in which case an appeal should certainly overturn the judgment. But I cannot say for sure that this must happen.

This is another case of some serious bullshit.

The sentencing is bullshit.

The Judge's comments for the reasoning of the sentencing are bullshit.

The parents' opinions on this situation are bullshit.

At at the end of the day, this twelve year old girl who has been raped must still spend her life with the rapist, and a mother that cares more about the relationship between the family as a whole than the physical and emotional well being of her daughter.

But of course, we have to think of the rapist and how poorly any punishment would affect him!

Im beyond sick of this shit. It has to fucking stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom