• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

UberTag

I can definitely see where people don't like Nick. He is selfish, an addict, taking morphine from the sick man was despicable, and he deserved the beatdown he got for it. But to me he and Gabriel are very different. Gabriel had a place in the old world, and then became helpless and started feeling sorry for himself once the apocalype was under way. Nick had no place in the old world, and was useless as well as selfish. But I have a feeling we will see him change and make himself useful and that he will find a place in the new world. I think that because of the apocalypse Nick will become a better person than he ever would have been living a normal life and going through an endless cycle of rehab/relapse. I could be wrong, but that's what I see happening.
So what you're actually saying is that he's this show's Daryl?

Crud

Banned
Great finale. Fuck the compound and fuck the neighbors. Got to keep your group small and keep it moving. Some of yall wanna save everyone yall soft ass be the first to die fuck outta here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Fear The Walking Dead’ Finale: Interview with Gale Anne Hurd

A lot of people said it was scarier because it felt more real to them. You know, most people do live in urban environments rather than rural settings. And it also showed the decline of the rule of law.

You know in The Walking Dead, when Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) wakes up in a coma, it’s been a month in, so we didn’t see how those institutions that we rely upon begin to fail us and what that does to us. So Fear was an opportunity now to explore that. And going forward we will not be traversing the same terrain either in terms of literal geography or story lines that we’ve seen in The Walking Dead.

cacildo

The first season of The Walking Dead wasnt great. But it promised it would go up from there. It was a lie

At least the first season of Fear the Walking Dead is honest enough to be straight up bad so we dont expect anything good from the next seasons

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If I had to rank all the seasons so far for my personal taste, I'd probably go:

Season 4 > Season 5 > Fear the Walking Dead Season 1 > Season 2 > Season 1 > Season 3

But my opinion is hardly an average one, I think Season 3 was the worst for me, the conflict got tiresome and there weren't a lot of breathers from it, Season 1 I honestly think is overrated and re-watching it after finishing Season 5 I think it's rather weak in areas, it is differently toned than the rest of the series so I suspect some may prefer it, but honestly I'm not big on it, Season 2 I felt was an extremely mixed season for me, I thought it had good highs, but had low lows, had two of the most impactful scenes in the series for me, but also moved at a glacial pace sometimes

Season 4 and 5 of the main series I felt had MUCH improved characterization, writing, camerawork, and horror elements than the three seasons before it, and were much better paced. Think they finally figured out how to pace the longer episode spans and get better writers/directors on-board, and I enjoyed Seasons 4 and 5 much more than the first three, personally. Fear the Walking Dead is below S4 and S5 for me, but I liked it better than the initial series. I actually like some of the characters unlike some, and I thought they paced the story well, avoided potential interest pitfalls, and concluded on a high note.

But with Walking Dead, people seem so all over the place with opinions, some think its trash, others hate it because it's popular, others love it, some find it entertaining, and some find it a thing to watch. I sit in the crowd that I like it, don't love it, but I do find it enjoyable and I've found it more enjoyable over time than not.

A lot of people said it was scarier because it felt more real to them. You know, most people do live in urban environments rather than rural settings. And it also showed the decline of the rule of law.

People keep saying this but it didnt feel lie they were in a big city. The scope was so small that what we saw doesnt back this up. Only when we saw the aerial shots did it feel like theres a lot that went on in the city.

JustinBB7

Really liked the season, interesting take on it. Will watch season 2 for sure. Watching the Talking Dead special now, really surprised the guy is from New Zealand and has to fake his American accent haha. Just like Rick has to hide his English accent.

After seeing the season finale, I still didn't like the "Evil Military" cliche. I wanted to see humans trying to work together to try to prevent the collapse of civilization from a existential zombie threat. Instead, zombies were used only as a set up to poorly executed human drama.

I also didn't like how quickly the show skipped past what I thought would be the most interesting parts: the beginning of the collapse. The show went right from riots letting the zombies spread to complete collapse outside of the military.

Additionally, the show really suffered from its poor writing. Characters often acted in unbelievable and unsatisfying ways, and many parts of the plot felt very contrived.

Somnia

After seeing the season finale, I still didn't like the "Evil Military" cliche. I wanted to see humans trying to work together to try to prevent the collapse of civilization from a existential zombie threat. Instead, zombies were used only as a set up to poorly executed human drama.

So regarding this part. Sadly in real life if we started to face an end of the world scenario its is much more likely it would become everyone for themselves like this show portrays.

I would like to think we would band together and try to win or survive, but in the end it most likely wouldn't happen on a large scale.

someday

Banned
I felt the complete opposite. It was more self-entitled navel gazing from one of the most selfish and unlikable characters on the show. For me, he's this show's Gabriel.
Agreed. I hated that. I actually don't like any of these characters after that finale. I suppose in hindsight, Alicia isn't so bad.

-I think it was dumb for Liza to walk off without telling Chris she got bit. Yeah, they had a tender moment but that isn't the same as knowing your mom is going away forever right after you finally get her back. Dumb decision that goes along with her decision to leave them without a word earlier.

-Leaving the fence open to the neighborhood. Wtf. Just makes our characters terrible people and I hope they all die horrible deaths.

-There was a major jump to these particular people deciding to unlock and unleash 2000 infected onto the streets of LA. Daniel walking them to the compound was neat looking, but ridiculous at the same time. I suppose he just isn't afraid of anything. Also, that horde killed a lot more people than just the military guys. How would any of the prisoners get to safety with all those zombies roaming about? It is such a contrived response I just can't. It's like they are responsible for the demise of LA. They sure as hell killed their neighborhood.

-Liza was the only mostly sympathetic character and she's dead.

-Lastly, I was really hoping this show would have Madison as the lead but it seems that only the men on the show have had any actual growth. We've learned next to nothing about Madison in the last 4 episodes that we couldn't have figured out in the first 2. Ofelia is a vehicle for Travis and Daniel, Alicia is a vehicle for Chris, Liza dies so Travis can grow. I really hate that. And Nick. At least Liza was something outside of her ex-husband and son. But she's off to Oitnb so that's acceptable.

someday

Banned
I get what you're saying here, but don't forget the military was evacing and was planning on bombing L.A. in due time.
And why not tell the neighbors that vital information? Yeah, I know, they didn't help when Ofelia was egging on the soldiers, but it is weak justification to allow them to be killed when you could have done something to help.

ReAxion

The stuff on the water is kelp.

QGrZhiS.png

figure_1_5_Kelp_Forest_12.jpg

cbox

Man there's really no excuse for such shitty cg in this day and age. The binoculars scene made me chuckle out loud.

The final scene and the scene just before that are two completely beach locations also.

Angry Fork

Came into this show expecting to hate most of the characters like OG walking dead, turns out I like a lot of them and honestly think the show is pretty good so far, I'm looking forward to the next season.

I was expecting to hate Nick, but I like him a lot, the father reminds me of old Rick who kept being a pussy while Shane was the boss but Travis is learning quickly and he'll get to Ricktatorship levels faster I think.

I like Maddie and her hot daughter, the el savador guy and the new sketchy suit guy. They're all cool to me and way more advanced as to the reality of the situation than the OG walking dead cast was which kept dicking around and took forever to do what was necessary.

I hate scenes like the doctor suicide one. You're a doctor and you can help this group of people survive. Even if she thought it was hopeless like who cares? Whether you die now or later it doesn't matter, so why not die later and at least try and help these people? It's just silly. If she was a normal person I wouldn't care but a doctor is important so it annoyed me.

Sucks it was only a 6 episode season but oh well. Kinda surprised by the hate here, who cares about bad cgi. The characters are nowhere near as slow to the uptake as OG walking dead cast was and I find them actually likable compared to most of walking dead cast which often annoy me.

Btw the main crew are fucking psychopaths. They unleashed 2000 walkers on a secure military base to save a junkie and a halfdead woman with one leg. Probably killing hundreds to thousands.

fucking assholes.

She is one of the sexiest women I've seen. She was so good in Deadwood.

162692.1.jpg

gonna go start this series soon. been hearing about it for a long time and been putting it off long enough

Frog-fu

Banned
Btw the main crew are fucking psychopaths. They unleashed 2000 walkers on a secure military base to save a junkie and a halfdead woman with one leg. Probably killing hundreds to thousands.

fucking assholes.

I honestly couldn't get over that whilst watching.

Like even if it were just the military there. Unconscionable.

I thought it was enjoyable. Predictable, lazy at times, but still fun to watch. I wasn't watching every week, so watching it as a whole most likely improved the experience. Same thing i did for TWD S1&2. Which i loved and still do.

fucking assholes.

When you learn that the army/government don't give a fuck about you then all bets are off. Plus the military literally killed thousands or more to secure that base. The amount of innocent people on the base is a handful at best. They did save the prisoners at least. The only thing i found questionable was not telling the neighbors, but you can't expect to be a hero 24/7.

Angry Fork

Military people got what was coming. They had a specific policy to leave everyone behind to die while simultaneously executing innocent people far away from camp sites, and at least half of them were shitty power hungry jughead types. The military is the enemy on this show, no mercy.

The crew knew that the "hospital" was likely a death camp and they just killed anyone who looked funny (I believe the military dude who got tortured said as much). Letting loose the zombie hoard was the only way to potentially save people there as well as their own family.

El savador guy is Shane 2.0, witness him.

Sadist

A very decent season finale. Some observations;

- Salazar not giving a fuck was pretty amazing. He just walks up to the fence casually, soldiers have a clear shot and he remarks: "Better save those bullets!" Damn. Dude is straight up crazy. Will save people, but cause a lot of problems next season.
- Chris and Alicia are both terrible characters. Don't add anything.
- The guy in the suit is amazing though. When he speaks, you listen. His voice is hypnotic lol. The soldier owning his cufflings is great though. "Kill me..." "Nah, you're almost there yourself." Ice cold.
- Poor army dude. That's one way of saving yourself from turning into zombie food.
- Andy, such a worthless shot. Travis unleashing the Ricktator was pretty good though.
- Nick comparing his life of running at random and everyone catching up with him during the outbreak... is strangely cool.
- Liza being bitten was bound to happen. Poor Travis.

I'll be back for season 2. But next week... can't wait for my man Rick.

Army dude popping out of the shadows was LOL. "I bet you forgot about me! You left me behind without a car but Ive made it to the base, located you and am prepared to stop you at this 11th hour plot twist!"

Angry Fork

Army dude popping out of the shadows was LOL. "I bet you forgot about me! You left me behind without a car but Ive made it to the base, located you and am prepared to stop you at this 11th hour plot twist!"

This was real dumb I agree, but I tend to overlook this kind of stuff with shows that aren't at the caliber of something like game of thrones, mad men, etc. I look at the sum of the parts rather than the silly or shitty things here and there.

Sometimes the shitty things fuck up everything though. I still want Carl dead and always will, he can never be redeemed.

What better way to make him feel unending pain? Killing him ends it pretty fast.

Also you can argue betrayal from what was his girlfriend/someone he cared about is worse than some random guy, but that's definitely stretching it I think.

GavinGT

Banned
Wow, that was great. The season was just about perfect, in my mind. Although I still can't tell how much of my enjoyment is due to how it's not up its own ass yet like the main series.

I guess they'll really get to the boat, then. The moment I heard "boat" I was skeptical, but I see nothing standing in their way short of the zombies getting WWZ-style underwater walking abilities. Is there any established Walking Dead lore regarding zombies and water?

Makes perfect sense, actually.

You cant just say "no u".

Dying is the easy way out in this new world. Living is the real pain. Its hard. Its been explored with Andrea in particular but everyone made the decision to fight at some point. And in a passing way with the doctor that was in charge of the patients on the base,

L.O.R.D

beautiful , simply ....beautiful

this season alone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. the whole main series

wonder what was in the water in the end

did they announce season 2 yet ?

Zomba13

I can't see how a Season 2 will be interesting. It'll just be the same as the other The Walking Dead series except with different characters who will have to go through the same arcs of growing up too fast (for the teens at least) and learning to live in this harsh new world where you have to put you and yours before everyone else.

This was interesting because it showed us the rise of the zombies and how it could happen in this world and that works for one season then it just becomes a TWD reskin.

And yeah, freeing the stadium zombies was a fucked up and awful thing to do and easily makes these guys worst than anything the core TWD has done (to my memory). Yeah they may have broken free eventually and yeah, the army was planning on pulling out and "cleaning up" but that shouldn't be an excuse to cause the death of everyone who couldn't leave and put their fenced community at risk. PLUS what is to stop the army from bombing the place anyway? "Oh a horde overrun the place? Better move the schedule up to contain it, bomb it ASAP. Don't bother extracting our people."

UberTag

Imagine if Griselda had of pulled through her surgery instead of dying and getting incinerated behind the ICU with the rest of the corpse pile. They would have rescued her, she'd have been barely mobile and probably would have wound up getting torn apart and munched on in front of her daughter during the walker attack. They had literally thought of no contingency on how to deal with her had she happened to still be alive.

Whereas had they not unleashed the walker horde and was alive, she could have been medevaced on the choppers with the rest of the patients (who wound up being shot in the head by Exner when that window of opportunity closed).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I thought that was a solid finale. Strand was awesome as expected. I liked Nick's statement at the end. Surprised they offed Liza. Expected they would keep her around longer to milk that two wives angle. Sad the doctor killed herself. Thought she could make a good regular.

Enjoyed the absolute selfishness the group displayed with unleashing the hoard on the base. Did not like the one dimensional awol soldiers. I'm fine with the concept just not how objectively bad and mean they were. Would have rather they been given a bit more depth. Same with Andy, I get the concept and use for Travis to grow but the execution wasn't as good as it should have been.

Really hope Madison gets a bigger role next season. I want her as the real leader, not Travis. They need to do a better job at developing everyone.

On the whole the season was OK, should have been a lot stronger. Definitely faltered in depicting the fall of a major city. More than a few shallow and illogical character moments and not as much development as there could have been, but it was still overall a fun watch and I'm interested enough in the characters that I'm excited for season 2.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see how a Season 2 will be interesting. It'll just be the same as the other The Walking Dead series except with different characters who will have to go through the same arcs of growing up too fast (for the teens at least) and learning to live in this harsh new world where you have to put you and yours before everyone else.

This show is for people who actually enjoy The Walking Dead.

I'm really glad we're getting 15 episodes in season 2, 6 just wasn't enough.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I could not tell you any of the characters names if my life depended on it. What does that say about this series so far...

I think its actually because they dont say the names a lot. But also they did say Chris and Nick a lot cause they had to save em and shit. Also following the thread, Trevor and Salazar(sp?) were pretty common.

I only saw the first two episodes and the finale, but holy fucking shit Frank Dillane is an incredible actor. I don't recall his Walking Dead character's name (Nick?) but he played the drug addict, and he was Tom Riddle in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I was just super impressed by his performance here.

-MD-

I could not tell you any of the characters names if my life depended on it. What does that say about this series so far...

I think the druggie son is doug or something, the daughter starts with an A.

I like the raspy voiced black guy, whoever he is.

antonz

The entire cast is absolutely vile people. These are the people you see in Seasons 4,5,6 of Walking Dead who Rick and crew massacre for being absolute monsters. The difference is at least the people in season 4,5,6 of Walking Dead have been in an apocalyptic World for awhile.

These people have had the power out for a week and already are mass murdering people to get an old lady who everyone already knew was doomed before she was even taken for help. Kind of funny the drugged out son is honestly the most normal person

Zomba13

This show is for people who actually enjoy The Walking Dead.

I'm really glad we're getting 15 episodes in season 2, 6 just wasn't enough.

But there is already a show for people who like TWD. It's TWD.

It just seems to me that this will just become TWD season 1 but with a new set of characters. I mean, they could take it somewhere new, could get on the boat and then have a zombie booze cruise. They could get to the boat end up on a nice island and live out the apocalypse without zombies. Or they could basically rehash character arcs found in TWD in a slightly different setting with slightly worse people.

Angry Fork

But there is already a show for people who like TWD. It's TWD.

It just seems to me that this will just become TWD season 1 but with a new set of characters. I mean, they could take it somewhere new, could get on the boat and then have a zombie booze cruise. They could get to the boat end up on a nice island and live out the apocalypse without zombies. Or they could basically rehash character arcs found in TWD in a slightly different setting with slightly worse people.

OG walking dead goes on break in the year, now fans can watch something similar when it does, that's the whole point of this show lol.

I think people forget just how shitty OG walking dead characters were. Laurie and Carl were extremely frustrating like all the kids on the show, Andrea was annoying, Dale was tolerable, the southern hick guys (including Daryl) were lame for a while. Shane and Glenn were basically the only cool characters, now Shane is gone and they turned Glenn into a bitch.

This show has el savador aka Shane 2.0, mysterious suit guy with perfect voice, a wife who isn't a whiney tag along and actually gets shit done, ex-drug addict with heart of gold, hot daughter, AND they've already axed one of the mothers so there won't be annoying Laurie/Carl/crying baby dynamics. This show is way ahead of OG walking dead so far imo, it feels like it's going to skip tons of the boring shit we had to sit through in season 2 of walking dead.

Top Bottom