• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That season finale was awesome. Goddamn.

I wish they spread the budget out more though, the rest of the episodes seriously lacked.

I wanted to see more of army fighting.

He's a fun character to watch...don't wish him away like that! All of his scenes have this cool surreal quality to them. You're right, he's not like any previous or current WD character, but that's what I like about him. It's apocalypse go time and the dude is straightening up his tie before heading into chaos. And, he loots a soldier being eaten alive to get his cuff links back. In the world of TWD, it doesn't get much cooler than that.

Yeah, he's the most interesting person on the show by far. Like I said, he has the potential to be the breakout character on the show. He's clearly operating on a whole different level than anyone else, and he's been shown to possess some serious skills - as I noted, the dude was scoring headshots under stress and in a hallway with the lights going on and off.

Dude's a badass.

The soldiers do not know how to shoot through the fence instead of at the fence. God help them if they had incendiary devices.

I doubt it would have helped. They showed that soldiers started bugging out as soon as the horde showed up. Best as I could tell, there were only a handful of guys left by the time they breached the fence, and they were firing wildly in a blind panic. Grenades/fire wouldn't have done much against a horde that size.

Razmos

I finally got around to watching the first episode and I enjoyed it. The father is a BAD actor, I like the mother though. The druggy son is irritating, mostly because they didn't give any backstory as to why he is a druggy and an annoying prick.

I thought the setting was pretty cool though once it picked up speed, when the school announced a half day, and then the drug dealer zombie who just wouldn't die and the effects when he looked over at them was really creepy.

Apparently it gets pretty bad? shame. I'm curious as to how 'slow paced' a 6 episode series can possibly be

-MD-

Apparently it gets pretty bad? shame. I'm curious as to how 'slow paced' a 6 episode series can possibly be

The season was pretty shitty as a whole, not sure how they couldn't manage to make something decent with such a low episode count.

Watch how bad it gets when they double the episode order lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, he's the most interesting person on the show by far. Like I said, he has the potential to be the breakout character on the show. He's clearly operating on a whole different level than anyone else, and he's been shown to possess some serious skills - as I noted, the dude was scoring headshots under stress and in a hallway with the lights going on and off.

Dude's a badass.

I doubt it would have helped. They showed that soldiers started bugging out as soon as the horde showed up. Best as I could tell, there were only a handful of guys left by the time they breached the fence, and they were firing wildly in a blind panic. Grenades/fire wouldn't have done much against a horde that size.

i dunno man. a well placed grenade would cripple a ton of walkers. i'm just going to pretend that they were scared of taking down the fence themselves. i blame the look outs :p

i dunno man. a well placed grenade would cripple a ton of walkers. i'm just going to pretend that they were scared of taking down the fence themselves. i blame the look outs :p

A dozen walkers, probably. But against 2,000? With anywhere from 7-10 guys actually firing?

It was a hopeless battle. Hell, you even see two soldiers standing at a separate (empty) gate doing nothing while the rest continue to engage.

Just finished watching the last four episodes over the past two days. Overall I enjoy this more than the original show. I appreciated the focus on fewer characters. Show had quite a few tense moments and the slow descent into chaos was pretty well done imo. I'll be back for season 2 for sure.

Original score was really good too. That probably helped.

Yeah and she did all that while displaying the emotional range of a robot.

She sucks and when she dies it will be the greatest day in television history.

Madison's actress is total garbage and it is a shame she survived. Maybe there is a mental reason they have yet to reveal that explains her lack of emotion.

yes - I guess her character is alright but her acting is so awful - you described it well. i'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed

I like the characters. I just don't like them together. With one exception:

Madison. She has zero emotion and sucks the life out of every scene she's in. She and Travis have zero chemistry together, and since I consider Travis a likable (if not dopey) character it just makes her come off as a huge bitch. I was disappointed they killed off the other mom just because she was way more likable, even though the show was trying to paint her in a bad light for going to the hospital.

Madison also has another annoying trait I notice afflict a lot of women-in-relationships in TWD, she can't make a decision herself. Everything has to be a consult with a man.

AMC needs to get somebody on TWD who can write women. So far most of the women are cold insufferable bitches, think with their vaginas, or both.

Apologies if i've gotten the names wrong, only reason I know any of them is from reading this thread.

Plot Armor for zombies. Never thought I would see that. Zombies are lucky those chain link fences were there to stop all the bullets.

You need to lay off the Call of Duty bruh.

enewtabie

You have to suspend belief on many things in TWD universe. For example, shooting a Barrett off the hood of a Humvee sideways where the round just hits a walker in the head . Ive shot one through a concrete wall. It would turn the upper half of the torso apart. I'd have to go back and watch,but shooting 900 yard shots aren't just putting a dot on it and pulling the trigger.

The Soldiers didn't have any .50 on any Humvees? You don't deploy anything outwards except for two guys on a platform ? In a world where a man on the run can hit 8 headshots with a Beretta,but Soldiers at point blank can't shoot.

Love the show,but if you look at too realistically you can't really enjoy it. I think it's funny at times,but the show is great.

Christopher

You have to suspend belief on many things in TWD universe. For example, shooting a Barrett off the hood of a Humvee sideways where the round just hits a walker in the head . Ive shot one through a concrete wall. It would turn the upper half of the torso apart. I'd have to go back and watch,but shooting 900 yard shots aren't just putting a dot on it and pulling the trigger.

The Soldiers didn't have any .50 on any Humvees? You don't deploy anything outwards except for two guys on a platform ? In a world where a man on the run can hit 8 headshots with a Beretta,but Soldiers at point blank can't shoot.

Love the show,but if you look at too realistically you can't really enjoy it. I think it's funny at times,but the show is great.

Well isn't that the point of television to suspended disbelief? There also isn't real dead people walking around looking to eat living people too just so you know

I just make up lore to go along with it , so since the government was watching the virus as it spread and knew when it went Wildfire and so they knew the world was fucked; I imagine many governments already went inside secret bunkers which are well guarded
Think Kingsman
and than just left the soldiers to handle the rest (with reduced armaments; have to save the weapons for after this situation handles it self in a decade or so) which was essentially suicide duty under the guise of aid.

Razmos

I'm on the 3rd episode now and I had to pause it to vent a little. I really really enjoyed the first 2 episodes and the first 15 minutes or so of the 3rd episode (despite how completely unrealistic it is that they managed to set up a game of monopoly in under a minute)

But it's just like... I get that the daughter doesn't know what is going on. Fine. I don't know why they haven't told her yet, that seems a bit stupid but hey, drama and tension.

I GET why they went to the neighbours house to get a gun, a zombie was approaching the house and they needed a weapon, okay. BUT WHY DID THEY LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN. Everywhere they go they keep leaving doors open behind them. Jesus christ. And then they acted all surprised "oh there's someone in the house". Of course there is. You literally saw the guy walking towards the house and you left the damn door open for him.

I'm loving the tension, I'm loving the atmosphere and the setting but goddamn that is stupid. I guess there is no tension in "keeping the doors closed and nothing happening"

genjiZERO

I'm 6 episodes in now

The show picks up considerably from the teen drama trash that was the first episode, but so far it's just not nearly as good as the main show. The characters aren't as interesting, the writing is really inconsistent, the cgi is really shitty at time, and the zombie make up is noticeably worse. This show is not made by the same team and it shows. Overall, it's a C to B.

Also, episode 6 spoiler
why they gotta kill of the hot gilf from Orange is the New Black?! Shit's wack. She's easily one of the best characters.

One thing doesn't make sense to me: So I thought the supposed collapse of society takes place in a month? Rick was in a coma that long right? If so, they are either going to have to ret-con the main story or it's going to be a really short series.

edit

Reading through the thread I agree with the vast majority. Epi 6 stuff:
The scene where Salazar brings the zombies to the fence was really cheesy. It was out of nowhere and it's weird both how unnaturally calm he was and how no one spotted that many zombies walking towards them.
Also, cgi boat was reallllllllllyyyyyyy shitty. Amateur level shitty.

One thing doesn't make sense to me: So I thought the supposed collapse of society takes place in a month? Rick was in a coma that long right? If so, they are either going to have to ret-con the main story or it's going to be a really short series.
That was Atlanta city and Georgia. This is LA

RPS37

I watched the first four episodes.
Definitely enjoying it more than what has happened to TWD. Anyone else?

genjiZERO

That was Atlanta city and Georgia. This is LA

I mean that's an answer... But it's pretty unsatisfying from a continuity point of view.

But (epi 6)
Seems society is pretty crashed now. So it, thus far, doesn't seem too inconsistent.

I watched the first four episodes.
Definitely enjoying it more than what has happened to TWD. Anyone else?

No, no I think you're alone in this one ;^P

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Fear The Walking Dead’ Clocks Highest-Rated First Season In Cable History

In its six-episode Season 1, FtWD averaged 11.2 million viewers, 7.3 million adults 18-49 and 7.2 million adults 25-54, tallying three days of time-shifted viewing.

Across all of TV, FtWD ranks as the No. 3 freshman scripted series starter season in the 18-49 demo, behind only Fox’s Empire and NBC’s first iteration of Heroes, since Nielsen began reporting L+3 in the 2006-2007 TV season.

AMC announced Fear The Walking Dead will get the aftershow treatment for the entirety of its second season of 15 episodes in 2016. Talking Dead will follow each FtWD episode, hosted by Chris Hardwick.

Razmos

After watching the finale, I demand we have a spin off of the spin off starring Strand. call it Stranded!

It's just him on a boat talking for 50 minutes

Phoenix

Plot Armor for zombies. Never thought I would see that. Zombies are lucky those chain link fences were there to stop all the bullets.

I agree with that, and it didn't even make any sense. They could have advanced the plot the same way and STILL had soldiers going up to the gate and killing zombies. At this point they seem to have a clue that only head shots kill them because the doctor is telling people so it seems rather sloppy writing to have it so that the zombies aren't being killed fairly rapidly at the fence. But really, it wouldn't matter. The numbers that the soldiers would have to take down would STILL allow them to topple/breach the fence so the story could advance the same way - just with less stupidity in the journey.

Phoenix

After watching the finale, I demand we have a spin off of the spin off starring Strand. call it Stranded!

It's just him on a boat talking for 50 minutes

I'm still betting/hoping that Strand is a nickname somehow related to DNA strand and he will be one to tell us about the creation of the virus.

Shredderi

I really liked the build up and the tension leading up to the anarchy. The atmosphere was pretty spot on for me. The whole "we now know shit is fucked but we gotta be all hush hush about it so others won't get the same idea to get the hell out of dodge and block the roads" was done pretty well. It's just the characters I don't like at all. Strand is the only exception because he is entertaining to watch and listen. I almost hate some of the main characters and that is bad. People also keep on being so stupid at times leaving doors open etc. Plot devices and all, I get it but still... Speaking of that, can somebody recommend me some horror movies or tv where the main character/characters are smart?

Ledsen

To be fair me and my wife both are at a point where we just watch Walking Dead(s) to complain

She was IMPRESSED by how awful Fear was, and think regular TWD is bad, but better than this
I think Fear is awful, but regular TWD aint much better

But what i really want is for another network to make a new zombie show, a good one

And no, z-nation isnt it

Dude the latest TWD season is probably their best ever.

You're disappointed that a show you like gets more episodes?

Sometimes less is more. Some of the best TV I've seen is only 10 episode seasons. With the Walking Dead, the writers don't know what to do with the extra episodes and they stretch shit out. It hasn't worked well for the main show (It should be 12 episodes) and it won't work well here.

Ledsen

Just saw the first episode. first reaction: I really hate that emo kid. Also, what's with the super weird reactions at the end? "Oh that guy just got up after getting hit by a car twice, also his face is gone. That's slightly peculiar. Huh."

Ledsen

Ep3 now... Jesus these people are stupid. They go around waving flashlights and making noise and no one even thinks to bring a kitchen knife when they leave the house... Or tell the daughter anything about the things she might have to defend herself against. "No it's better if they surprise her"

"Also lets try to talk to them, that will probably help despite the fact that we've seen that it won't"

just want to ask - liza, did it look like a bite mark to you guys? coz to me it looked like just a scratch and if that's the case - can scratches confirmed infect and make you turn? and if not...did liza just waste her life?
Also is the mom supposed to completely void of emotions? She only has one facial expression.
the actress fucking sucks.

Crud

Banned
just want to ask - liza, did it look like a bite mark to you guys? coz to me it looked like just a scratch and if that's the case - can scratches confirmed infect and make you turn? and if not...did liza just waste her life?

image.php

Ledsen

No kidding... She's REALLY bad.

Top Bottom