• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Few Simple Math Precalc Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt_deeb

The directions say:

Sate whether the function represents direct proportionality or inverse. Write each in the form y = kx^p and identify the values of k and p.

10.) y = 1/x

12.) y = -x/2

if you don't mind explain to me how you got each value to since I'm a little confused on what they are asking for.

Also...

If Q=f(t), when is f increasing? When is f decreasing?

Do they mean when is the function increasing or decreasing, or what?!

Also, Also...

What is the relationship between an increasing(or decreasing) function and the average rate of change?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Well number 10 is:

Inverse
y = x^-1
k = 1
p = -1

and number 12 is:

Direct Proportionality
y = -1/2x
k = -1/2
p = 1

If Q is a function of T, then as T increases, so will the function. As it decreases, so will the function.

if you don't mind explain to me how you got each value to since I'm a little confused on what they are asking for.
I believe it's basically saying "Each formula in this section is a constant multiplied by the x-value to some exponent. k is the constant, p is the exponent."

y=1/x
y= 1 * 1/x
y= 1 * x^-1

y=-x/2
y = -1/2 * x
y = -1/2 * x^1

You can tell the proportionality by the exponent. If the exponent is positive, then as x increases so will y. If the exponent is negative, then as x increases y will decrease, so it's inversely proportional.

If Q=f(t), when is f increasing? When is f decreasing?

Do they mean when is the function increasing or decreasing, or what?!

That one I'm not sure what to say... seems like not enough context maybe. Like is f(t) supposed to stand for a certain function given elsewhere? Or a certain type of function?

tt_deeb

JoshuaJSlone said:
That one I'm not sure what to say... seems like not enough context maybe. Like is f(t) supposed to stand for a certain function given elsewhere? Or a certain type of function?

Hm...it's just a random question regarding the chapter it seems. This is the closest type of information i remember reading about it

If Q = f(t)

f is an increasing function if the values of f and t increase
f is a decreasing function if the values of f decrease as t increases

The only reason i dont think it has to do with this is because the question right after that asks:

Relate the concept of increasing/decreasing function to the average rate of change.

So wouldn't the above info have to do more with that question? Bah..

tt_deeb

tt_deeb said:
When a function is an increasing function does that mean its rate is the thing to increase?

What I mean is, can a direct line be an icnreasing function. Yeah the inputs and outputs are increasing.

q= f (t)

f and t need to increase.

Q = Y

T = X

F = rate?

Help me out please...

I would think the rate of increase would just be the slope... and if the slope is positive (the line moving towards the right is also moving up) it would be an increasing function. However, that can differ depending on what X values you're looking at. For y=x^2, for instance, it would be decreasing from negative infinity until 0. At 0 it would be flat. For positive numbers it would be increasing.

tt_deeb

JoshuaJSlone said:
I would think the rate of increase would just be the slope... and if the slope is positive (the line moving towards the right is also moving up) it would be an increasing function. However, that can differ depending on what X values you're looking at. For y=x^2, for instance, it would be decreasing from negative infinity until 0. At 0 it would be flat. For positive numbers it would be increasing.

yeah, i'm done with the project. Thanks for all your help though. (to both of you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom