• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
orqfkj.gif

I really think we need to analyze this. At first I thought his was doing a marn thing but now it looks like a residual soul fist leap out of the screen and caught him on the ankle

Dahbomb

Sonic Fox is 16 years old and won a main game(Injustice), two side games(MK9 & DOA5) and placed 4th in another(Skullgirls). This was his first EVO. He wasn't the rising star?
Who said he wasn't?

He had a godly EVO it's just too bad Injustice wasn't featured on Sunday.

Did not know he was 16 years old... that's nuts!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Sonic Fox is 16 years old and won a main game(Injustice), two side games(MK9 & DOA5) and placed 4th in another(Skullgirls). This was his first EVO. He wasn't the rising star?

Something something not Capcom games. All of those games put together don't even equal half the entrants of Marvel.

JDdelphin

Y'all wildin'. The thread title is great, and is relevant to the most important event of the year.

This post is sponsored by Caribserve 4G, the newest, fastest and most modern alternative in wireless broadband on St. Maarten.

Shoutouts to Beenie Man.

Seriously though. When they played Indestructable before Ultra I was pumped.

Best worst best song ever.

Louffy has an Iron Rose. Official.

Dahbomb

In other news I got Injustice for PS4.

Someone please tell me how to deal with pressure in this game! I play Deathstroke and am also learning Aquaman.

orqfkj.gif

I really think we need to analyze this. At first I thought his was doing a marn thing but now it looks like a residual soul fist leap out of the screen and caught him on the ankle
Damn, maybe he did trip. Or maybe Blanka hit him.

Who said he wasn't?

He had a godly EVO it's just too bad Injustice wasn't featured on Sunday.

Did not know he was 16 years old... that's nuts!
He's talking about the "rising star" award.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Getting up and arms about this is childish.
I appreciate Hito's firm stance on this. Treating event results as spoilers is silly, and there really needs to be more pushback in general on the kind of stifling effects the spoiler-phobic have on discussion. But that's mostly unrelated to this thread, so I digress.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Secondly it's only a request. At the end of the day Enzo can name these threads whatever he wants. I merely offered him a suggestion and I'm honored he respected it, apparently. I didn't demand or put a gun to his head asking him to do what I want. Getting up and arms about this is childish. Also neogaf dot com has rules about spoilers. So I'll ask you nicely to back off.
Whining about spoilers as a champion of ignorance is moreso and I just linked a statement from an admin on the matter. So no.

I'm emo Injustice wasn't on Sunday because Saturday didn't have the player names and character portraits on the sides. I wanted Catwoman up there. The short clips of the players after the intro for SF4 was a nice touch too. Love the EVO production values.0

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Completely agreed. Insaynne was a weird choice, even though I totally respect his grind. I think they chose winners beforehand though, they probably have his name printed on the trophy.

Great thread title Enzo

You got my paypal info right?
yeah give me a few weeks to run it by Triforce just to make sure everything is Gucci

This EVO was incredible. Holy hell.

Also, major shoutout to DryEyeRelief for consistently providing links for streams on damn near every page, making sure everyone was up to date on the latest events. Good looking out man, much appreciated.
Yeah shout outs to DryEyeRelief and all the GIF makers. I forgot the name (dmr or something?) but he/she was putting in work with GIFs AS the stuff happened. Sorry I forgot the name but YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE HOMIE.

First of all lost fragment and other guys asked in last week thread for there not be spoilers in this weeks title because they can't watch the event live. I merely posted the request again in case that was forgotten.

Secondly it's only a request. At the end of the day Enzo can name these threads whatever he wants. I merely offered him a suggestion and I'm honored he respected it, apparently. I didn't demand or put a gun to his head asking him to do what I want. Getting up and arms about this is childish. Also neogaf.com has rules about spoilers. So I'll ask you nicely to back off.
I feel like everyone knows this but I should reiterate: I don't put any bias into thread titles. Whichever one gets the most votes gets picked. That's the end of it. The only thing I'll veto is something clearly offensive or insensitive. That happened once and it will never happen again. And if it does, I'll probably get the ban hammer, not who suggests it or voted for it or whatever.

And FYI I don't like about half of the thread titles that get picked. The other 50% are usually pretty good.

Dahbomb

LOL how did Coach Steve get that award?

At least Sonic Fox has more chances to get that award but I have to agree with Kadey in that Capcom games generally get the attention with these kinds of things.

They probably had decided on the Winner beforehand and more than likely they probably wanted to award it to someone who didn't win EVO Rising star means he is getting there but not there.... Sonic Fox is already "there" so he is actually over qualified for it.

I'm emo Injustice wasn't on Sunday because Saturday didn't have the player names and character portraits on the sides. I wanted Catwoman up there. The short clips of the players after the intro for SF4 was a nice touch too. Love the EVO production values.0

Your game & KI don't deserve to be on finals day. Easily the two worst finals of the weekend.

Infinite

Whining about spoilers as a champion of ignorance is moreso and I just linked a statement from an admin on the matter. So no.

Who is whining about spoilers?

I appreciate Hito's firm stance on this. Treating event results as spoilers is silly, and there really needs to be more pushback in general on the kind of stifling effects the spoiler-phobic have on discussion. But that's mostly unrelated to this thread, so I digress.

At the end of he day I didn't throw a bitch fit. I merely made a humble request it was up to Enzo to do what he thought was right. If he named the thread something else that revealed info about what conspired at Evo I would have been disappointed but oh well. I wasn't going to send him angry PMs over it. So his stance is largely unnecessary since no one is whinning but him. No ones arm was twisted here.

There was a rising star award? Who got it if not Sonic Fox?
Coach Steve

I should've gotten the award for staying up so late all weekend

Pls.... you slept like at 2-3 AM maybe 4-5 AM at most. That's still prime time in Vegas.

There is no sleep in Vegas...
Ya sleep when you get home from Vegas
:)

Like I did the next day I came from Vegas last week

Amen. I did 10 hrs of sleep combined in 5 days. Yes that meant 22 hours awake either drunk, or rolled. #ShitShowsOfShitShows

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm totally cool with someone taking up the mantle though, but I'm pretty sure nobody will until the day I get perm'd. Are you man enough to do what needs to be done, Deckard Cain?
You need to stop taking fake bribes, but you do a decent job otherwise!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
FGC GAF is bigger than esports GAF.

To put things into perspective, EVO OT2 was made after Smash finals but still managed to surpass the DOTA2 tournament thread in views and posts that was made on 7/8. And that's not even factoring in OT1 which was near 20k posts and over 850k views.

Dahbomb should do it. So we can get an essay for titles.

To put things into perspective, EVO OT2 was made after Smash finals but still managed to surpass the DOTA2 tournament thread in views and posts that was made on 7/8. And that's not even factoring in OT1 which was near 20k posts and over 850k views.

They may have more viewers on twitch, but we have more monsters on GAF!

I noticed this, too. How is that possibly the case? I thought that a game's GAF popularity would at least be roughly proportional to its general popularity within the context of mainstream games.

As much as people are complaining about Rose (lol), as Art just said on stream, she's playing street fighter and winning with fundamentals and not divekicking her way to victory.

I noticed this, too. How is that possibly the case? I thought that a game's GAF popularity would at least be roughly proportional to its general popularity within the context of mainstream games.

Because they go on Reddit, we go on GAF.

/R Kappa is like ant sized compared to like /R Leagueoflegends (which is the biggest gaming subreddit I believe)

Dahbomb

As much as people are complaining about Rose (lol), as Art just said on stream, she's playing street fighter and winning with fundamentals and not divekicking her way to victory.
You can say that about Fei Long too but that's not going to stop people from hating on Fei either.

Top Bottom