• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

I heard Ultra David has a small penis.

Can anyone confirm?

I also heard the Cal Bears suck donkey balls.

Can Ultra David confirm?

I also heard that Hockey shouldn't be watched in America.

Can Ultra David's fanboys confirm?

the cal bears were in fact one of the worst teams in the country last year, hot dang they were garbage

as for my wang size, thankfully i've never hooked up with anyone in the fgc so i can keep at least that closely held! and i mean real closely held, if it was an article of clothing it'd be less of an overcoat and more of a skintight leotard

Shouta

so after Evo, can we say Zangief is the best grappler in ultra?

I'd say it's still too early to say that particularly because Hawk's days as a viable grappler are still young so his players are still getting into a position to do well. There were 2 Hawks and 2 Giefs in Top 16 between 3 players. Itazan mostly played Gief and he's been a gief main so his Hawk probably up to his Gief yet. KOG's a Hawk main but he's also mega-yolo which has advantages and disadvantages.

I'd say it's still too early to say that particularly because Hawk's days as a viable grappler are still young so his players are still getting into a position to do well. There were 2 Hawks and 2 Giefs in Top 16 between 3 players. Itazan mostly played Gief and he's been a gief main so his Hawk probably up to his Gief yet. KOG's a Hawk main but he's also mega-yolo which has advantages and disadvantages.

if we're just talking about gief, hawk, and hugo, then i agree that it's still up in the air between gief and hawk. a gief main, a hawk main, and a gief/hawk in the top 16, but also another hawk just outside that in top 32!

if you want to put hakan in that group, then i think definitely hakan is the best of them, but he's good in large part because of weird non-grapplery stuff like focus dash normal canceling so i'm never sure if he belongs in the same classification.

gief, hawk, and hakan are all good though! i think hugo's potential ceiling is up there too, but we'll see. and if you factor in characters like makoto and abel, this is just about the best street fighter game and one of the best fighting games ever for grappler fans.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I am not scared to fight Gief. T.Hawk being able to mash his way out of things and cover ground with condor dive and spire, plus having a DP makes him ten times more dangerous online.

10559809_4511328837010_6732541245985015111_n.jpg

From Xians instagram, his gf got this since he didn't do well as well as he'd like at EVO.

Aaaawwwww

When will it be my turn to have a QT 3.14 SF4 playing gf

them feels

Shouta

if we're just talking about gief, hawk, and hugo, then i agree that it's still up in the air between gief and hawk. a gief main, a hawk main, and a gief/hawk in the top 16, but also another hawk just outside that in top 32!

if you want to put hakan in that group, then i think definitely hakan is the best of them, but he's good in large part because of weird non-grapplery stuff like focus dash normal canceling so i'm never sure if he belongs in the same classification.

gief, hawk, and hakan are all good though! i think hugo's potential ceiling is up there too, but we'll see. and if you factor in characters like makoto and abel, this is just about the best street fighter game and one of the best fighting games ever for grappler fans.

Yeah, I didn't bring Hakan into the equation because of his options being good but also because he's not a regular grappler in mastery either. You have more stuff and have to master more stuff beyond what the grapplers do.

Thanks for reminding me about Hung! I wanted to get some matches with him this weekend too but I barely got any casuals. None with Tokido or KOG either but they were busy with MMs left and right, lol.

Also, I went in lab'd Gief vs Fei a little bit and it really is mega-awful unless you're willing to take some risks. I didn't realize it but Fuudo was doing j.hk against Snake Eyes because it can't be beaten by lariat. Woof. Hawk vs Fei is definitely the better one as far as Grapplers go.

Also, I went in lab'd Gief vs Fei a little bit and it really is mega-awful unless you're willing to take some risks. I didn't realize it but Fuudo was doing j.hk against Snake Eyes because it can't be beaten by lariat. Woof. Hawk vs Fei is definitely the better one as far as Grapplers go.

Yeah jump hk is good, although Gief can beat it with ex hand. I don't think that matchup is actually awful, just a slight loss for Gief. It looked so hard because Fuudo played one of the best defensive walls I've ever seen in SF4!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I don't mean to sound rude, I was just pointing it out ;w;

Hahaha, I wasn't directing it to you Anne. Osu came in a bit heavy with his comment, he sounded a little bit enraged from his comment, but that's just probably me that saw it that way. Somebody else clarified it in a more suitable fashion.

I do think learning to play bad matchups is a high level skill in and of itself

but saying "tiers don't matter I body bad matchups all the time" seems just as naive to me as the people blaming them for their losses in casual games

edit: MB people already responded to the Yams

I completely and fully agree with this statement. Its the reality of the situation.

Shouta

Yeah jump hk is good, although Gief can beat it with ex hand. I don't think that matchup is actually awful, just a slight loss for Gief. It looked so hard because Fuudo played one of the best defensive walls I've ever seen in SF4!

I dunno, feels like speed and ways Gief's normals hit make it really hard to fight Fei on the ground when I was playing with it. Green hand buff helps a lot now though which is nice.

I do agree that it's in part due though. Most Feis aren't going to be a brick wall like him.

Speaking of the grapplers, here's my list for which of Zangief, Hawk, Hugo, and Hakan I'd use against each character. I'll say if I think they all lose, and if I think more than one does just as well then I'll list that too.

-Abel: Zangief/Hawk
-Adon: Zangief
-Akuma: Hakan
-Blanka: Zangief
-Boxer: Hakan
-Cammy: Hugo
-Chun: all lose; Zangief
-Claw: Zangief
-Cody: Hawk
-Dan: Hawk/Hugo
-Decapre: Zangief/Hawk/Hugo
-DeeJay: Zangief/Hakan
-Dhalsim: Hakan
-Dictator: Zangief/Hugo
-Dudley: Zangief/Hawk/Hugo
-Elena: Zangief/Hawk
-EvilRyu: Hakan
-Fei: all lose, Hawk
-Fuerte: all lose, Zangief
-Gen: Hawk, Hugo
-Gouken: Hakan
-Guile: Hakan
-Guy: Hugo
-Hakan: Hawk
-Hawk: all lose, Hakan
-Honda: Hugo
-Hugo:
-Ibuki: Zangief/Hawk
-Juri: Hakan
-Ken: Zangief/Hawk
-Makoto: Zangief
-Oni: Hakan
-Poison: Hakan
-Rolento: Zangief
-Rose: Hakan
-Rufus: Hugo
-Ryu: Hakan
-Sagat: Hakan
-Sakura: Hawk
-Seth: Hawk
-Viper: all lose, Hawk
-Yang: Zangief
-Yun: Hawk
-Zangief: Hakan/Hawk

Edit: total count
-Hakan: 16
-Hawk: 17
-Hugo: 9
-Zangief: 17

What do you think?

Speaking of the grapplers, here's my list for which of Zangief, Hawk, Hugo, and Hakan I'd use against each character. I'll say if I think they all lose, and if I think more than one does just as well then I'll list that too.

What do you think?

no gief?

even scrub giefs give me a hella bad time online when i play GUY. i have to make them come to me, and i pray i don't fudge it up and eat an SPD to lose all the hp advantage i worked to get.

Watching the next level stream... Are all stream chats...this totally pointless? I appreciate non sequitir(sp?) humor and whatnot, but what's happening now isn't even offensive or stupid, just...pointless.

no gief?

even scrub giefs give me a hella bad time online when i play GUY. i have to make them come to me, and i pray i don't fudge it up and eat an SPD to lose all the hp advantage i worked to get.

well, i think guy loses to hugo, gief, and hawk, i just think he loses to hugo worse than to the others

Kumubou

Watching the next level stream... Are all stream chats...this totally pointless? I appreciate non sequitir(sp?) humor and whatnot, but what's happening now isn't even offensive or stupid, just...pointless.
It only gets much more worse and much more offensive. For the sake of your own sanity, stay away from stream chat, especially during events (and the bigger the event, the worse it is) -- it's like swimming in a cesspool.

Dahbomb

Yes.

Only non pointless stream chats are those where there are less than 50 people in chat and the streamer is interacting with the chat.

As Elf, I would rather face Hawk and Gief over Hakan any day (Don't know about Hugo as I don't have Ultra yet).

His different focus tricks and U2 seem to shut everything down, not to mention having the air throw is also a good counter.

yeah i hear ya, but on the other hand i think fuerte does a good job of running away from hakan when he's oiled and containing him when he's dry. i like that gief can punish all splashes, can u2 fuerte out of the air, and doesn't have to depend on a powerup that the opponent can shut down.

Shouta

What do you think?

Here's my quick list but I'll remove Hakan because my knowledge of him is not good enough to make a proper judgement:

-Abel: Hawk
-Adon: Zangief
-Akuma: Hawk
-Blanka: Zangief
-Boxer: Zangief/Hawk
-Chun: All lose - Hawk
-Claw: Zangief
-Cody: Hawk
-Dan: Hawk
-Decapre: Zangief/Hawk
-DeeJay: Zangief/Hawk
-Dhalsim: Zangief
-Dictator: Zangief/Hugo
-Dudley: All win, Hawk
-Elena: Zangief/Hawk
-EvilRyu: Hawk
-Fei: All lose, Hawk
-Fuerte: Hawk
-Gen: Hawk, Hugo
-Gouken: Hawk
-Guile: All lose, Hawk
-Hakan: Zangief
-Hawk: Zangief/Hawk
-Honda: Hawk/Hugo
-Hugo: Hawk
-Ibuki: Zangief/Hawk
-Juri: Hawk
-Ken: Zangief/Hawk
-Makoto: Zangief/Hawk/Hugo
-Oni: Zangief/Hawk
-Poison: Zangief/Hawk
-Rolento: Hawk
-Rose: All lose, Hawk
-Rufus: Hugo
-Ryu: Zangief/Hawk
-Sagat: Hawk
-Sakura: Hawk
-Seth: Hawk
-Viper: Hawk
-Yang: Hawk
-Yun: Hawk
-Zangief: Hawk/Hugo

I haven't put as much thought into it because I usually focus just on Hawk, lol.

mr. puppy

Banned

why? in that match all 4 of them would be good, and Gief probably has the best ground control.

I guess Hugo can escape from corners and isn't awful on wakeup? Or is it his armor?

Shouta

She has to come at Hugo to deal damage and her buttons aren't great for playing footsies with him. If she tries to jump at him, st.hp shuts down everything, including divekick afaik. Then there's obviously backbreaker and U2. His big damage in close helps as well.

Decapre does better against Hugo than Cammy IMO because she has the ability to play keep away with him to a ridiculous degree.

why? in that match all 4 of them would be good, and Gief probably has the best ground control.

I guess Hugo can escape from corners and isn't awful on wakeup? Or is it his armor?

yeah they're all good. hawk might actually have the best ground control but yeah it's either him or gief.

but i'm not worried about cammy on the ground, her footsie tools are ok but not great. i'm more worried about her going airborne, and hugo destroys the air with st hp, ex backbreaker, and u2 being effective from above his head up to about 2/3 screen away. there's no jump hk/empty jump/dive kick mixup against him. even the usually crazy good ex dive loses to all those options. so hugo forces cammy to play mostly on the ground, which is great. he can whiff punish st hk with shorts and cr mp. he also punishes her dp with hp clap into full combo, no reversal required even, so panicking is dangerous for her.

Sheroking

+1 on picking Hugo over Zangief to fight Rufus.

Gief has the reputation for beating Rufus, but you can keep him out by staying between the crouch fierce poke and anti-air standing fierce range. If he whiffs green hand, you get forward throw and positioning. I'm not sure you can still punish it with close fierce in Ultra. I think that's 5/5 at this point or very minorly in Gief's favor.

Hugo just makes me shit my pants. I'm pretty sure I still have nightmares about the first time I got backbreakered out of an ex messiah.

whats afaik?

As far as I know.

It's not totally pointless. You can do stuff like if a bald guy goes on stream, you make the LI Joe face. Plus you can express yourself through your account name.

+1 on picking Hugo over Zangief to fight Rufus.

Gief has the reputation for beating Rufus, but you can keep him out by staying between the crouch fierce poke and anti-air standing fierce range. If he whiffs green hand, you get close fierce and galactic tornado punish and positioning (or at worst a forward throw). I think that's 5/5 at this point or very minorly in Gief's favor.

Hugo just makes me shit my pants. I'm pretty sure I still have nightmares about the first time I got backbreakered out of an ex messiah.

As far as I know.
ex messiah has such long startup that hugo can time a meaty fierce clap and option select an ex backbreaker, such that if rufus stays still he has to block or get hit by the clap, and if he does ex messiah or backdash he gets ex backbreakered. he can't approach via the air to an even greater extent than against gief because of st hp, ex backbreaker, and u2. his cr hp can get counterpoked by hugo short or cr mp on reaction. hugo's dash is fast enough and his kara ex wall throw has such good range that if hugo focuses a rufus max range cr hp, hugo can dash toward and kara ex wall throw rufus right out of his recovery.

by the way, snake eyez thinks that rufus beats zangief!

Snake eyes was on WNF and talked about Lp green hand now punishes sweep. I think he was the only top player to talk about how that one move really changed how he played the game.
Also, why was Ricky so grounded the entire match?

kirblar

Snake eyes was on WNF and talked about Lp green hand now punishes sweep. I think he was the only top player to talk about how that one move really changed how he played the game.
Also, why was Ricky so grounded the entire match?
Did Snake ever jump at a SnakeStrike-punishable distance?

Top Bottom