• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

mbpm1

Also, why was Ricky so grounded the entire match?

It's the anti-Snake-Eyez tech that he and justin worked out together. They would just keep him out with cr hp and st. mk and st.mp pretty much. If Snake green-handed they usually were blocking and punished it with a throw to reestablish space. It was kinda like what fuudo was doing in my eyes, and it worked for a while, but Snake-eyez obviously figured out how to beat it this time.

Sheroking

It's the anti-Snake-Eyez tech that he and justin worked out together. They would just keep him out with cr hp and st. mk and st.mp pretty much. If Snake green-handed they usually were blocking and punished it with a throw to reestablish space. It was kinda like what fuudo was doing in my eyes, and it worked for a while, but Snake-eyez obviously figured out how to beat it this time.

I don't know if it's "tech" as much as it's the only way to play that match, and has been since vanilla. st.hp the jump ins, poke at him from max cr.hp range and if he gets in, try to get space back with mp and mk. Just don't whiff because he can command grab it.

You can never safely divekick Zangief. Even if you do it super meaty, lariat can still blow it up and now you've got Gief standing over you, which is DEFINITELY where Rufus loses the match.

Village

Here I thought all your post would be analytical due to you're avatar. I am much disappoint.

This is an avatar of summer time Superiority complexes, contempt, and disgust for those who are not ultimate, avatar.

Who will be replaced in the fall, by intelligent , Confused at your stupid avatar, who will be tails the fox, possibly in some type of flannel to keep the hipster theme going.

I will continue this theme until I run out of sanic characters I actually give two shits about.
I do Have analytical ghost bourgeoisie avatar.

mbpm1

I don't know if it's "tech" as much as it's the only way to play that match, and has been since vanilla. st.hp the jump ins, poke at him from max cr.hp range and if he gets in, try to get space back with mp and mk. Just don't whiff because he can command grab it.

You can never safely divekick Zangief. Even if you do it super meaty, lariat can still blow it up and now you've got Gief standing over you, which is DEFINITELY where Rufus loses the match.

You're probably right in that it's not new, but I haven't seen Jwong/Ricky vs Snake-eyez until recently and the commentators were talking about it like it was a new thing.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yams are you sure you're ready for MCAT

but yo ma verbal skills be man good tho! i can read passages and see that it makes no sense!
My writing could use some work though... In all honesty, its going swimmingly for now. I'm remembering the majority of the stuff that I've studied and my comprehension for a lot of the passages has gotten far better, still not up to the score that I want but its getting there.

This is an avatar of summer time Superiority complexes, contempt, and disgust for those who are not ultimate, avatar.

Who will be replaced in the fall, by intelligent , Confused at your stupid avatar, who will be tails the fox, possibly in some type of flannel to keep the hipster theme going.

I will continue this theme until I run out of sanic characters I actually give two shits about.
I do Have analytical ghost bourgeoisie avatar.

God damn Village, you are awesome, I laughed as I read this. Those Sanic characters have quite a level of depth when you describe their characteristics being tied in with their apparel.

Astarte

but yo ma verbal skills be man good tho! i can read passages and see that it makes no sense!
My writing could use some work though... In all honesty, its going swimmingly for now. I'm remembering the majority of the stuff that I've studied and my comprehension for a lot of the passages has gotten far better, still not up to the score that I want but its getting there.

I got everything down except passages. God I hate reading comprehension. Every time I sit down and try to get stuff down I just

3vMOgNl.gif

El Sloth

Banned
lol at the dude on the mic at TSB actually angry that BB has suddenly seen a surge of interest and that new people want in to the community.

Stay free, anime, I guess?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I got everything down except passages. God I hate reading comprehension. Every time I sit down and try to get stuff down I just

3vMOgNl.gif

I know... The struggle is real. You can get discrete questions down with ease by just memorizing but passages are a different beast...

lol at the dude on the mic at TSB actually angry that BB has suddenly seen a surge of interest and that new people want in to the community.

I wonder how this guy is gonna feel when anime becomes popular then. Kappa

El Sloth

Banned
You know, I'm just going to assume the dude was making a joke and that I got baited. It makes more sense to me than if he was actually serious.

So

This thread gonna be dead as fuck for the next few months?

SS at the end of August, TFC in October and... hmm.

So, either dead, or a drama/OBS/EMP circus. Best case Capcom completely messes up the PC USF4 release so we have something else to talk about. I know they can come through for us.

petghost

Banned
Do you think Faust would be a good choice for someone new to the GG series to start with in Xrd? I was looking at him and Axl.

yeah he'd be good. he looks gimmicky but is really fundamentally strong. he always had awesome amazing buttons but his new f.s is fucking ridiculous. like 3/4 of the screen, so fast and very little recovery. on top of all that he does good damage, cranks guard bar and doesnt have anything about him that is technically too tough (the toughest would probably be fd cancelling his drill for quick overheads but its not bad.)

Well then I guess I won't play BB or P4AU or GG Xrd if that dude doesn't want more people playing those games.

El Sloth

Banned
yeah he'd be good. he looks gimmicky but is really fundamentally strong. he always had awesome amazing buttons but his new f.s is fucking ridiculous. like 3/4 of the screen, so fast and very little recovery. on top of all that he does good damage, cranks guard bar and doesnt have anything about him that is technically too tough (the toughest would probably be fd cancelling his drill for quick overheads but its not bad.)
Yeah, Faust is good. He's not all that hard to get going with.

Cool, since I really like his normals and his items. Is f.s the one where he stabs straight out with his scalpel and reels them in on hit? I see a lot people getting hit with it in the A-cho Xrd vids. Part of the reason I started paying attention to him!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Retro, are you thinking about getting UNIB?

Maybe the US release

I don't think I'll import though. All my JP points are going to Gundam DLC next month

You're getting Love MAX!!!! tho right? That I'm definitely on board for

Well then I guess I won't play BB or P4AU or GG Xrd if that dude doesn't want more people playing those games.

Why are you guys getting so mad at what this guy said?

It is known as the Yipes effect. Living your life based on what one random guy says about something, without needing any real context.

It's a marvel thing.

it wasn't a random, it was stickbug.

it would be as if valle hopped on to the wnf commentary booth and told people to fuck off. We're going to do whatever but it's like, what a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
it wasn't a random, it was stickbug.

it would be as if valle hopped on to the wnf commentary booth and told people to fuck off. We're going to do whatever but it's like, what a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

What he said is a bit more comparable to Valle getting on the mic and asking how many of these Rose players will be here next week

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Post EVO is like Fighting Game New Years

Tons of people make resolutions to pick up that one game because of the hype finals or learn that character they've never seen high level play of before that sent Daigo/Justin to losers

Few keep them.

That's all I figured he was making jokes about.

Or you can you know listen to what was said yourself, think about it, reach your own conclusions and not let people form your opinions for you.

What he actually said was that the influx of new players will have a really difficult time because there is an entrenched core croup, like with all niche games with a high skill ceiling, that will beat them over and over again. Its going to be extremely demoralizing and it would actually take a lot of time and effort to become competitive.

This of course applies to every fighting game scene ever. This kind of thinking also applies to any entrenched group of fans of anything that has ever managed to spawn a fandom. Hardcore fans assume that casual onlookers don't have the dedication and drive to reach their level of proficiency and familiarity with whatever it is that it may be.

But yeah you can also just never play those games. Everyone has better things they could be doing instead of wasting time on video games.

Edit: The reaction in this thread effectively proves the point that even a hint of resistance is met with equal amounts of hostility and ignorance.

New players picking up BB are also going to be running slap bang into the scene-wide mixup of "I don't wanna play X, Y is out soon." GG and P4A2 are just over the horizon. :/

For what it is worth, if you guys want to check out EU events to help pass the time until Season's Beatings, NCR etc, there are actually quite a few in this half of the year.

Super VS Battle 2014 - August
Versus Fighting 4 - August
Dreamhack Stockholm - September
Red Fight District - October
Dreamhack Winter - November.

New players picking up BB are also going to be running slap bang into the scene-wide mixup of "I don't wanna play X, Y is out soon." GG and P4A2 are just over the horizon. :/

I wonder if this is a real thing or not?

What anime game actually got dropped in favour of the "next big thing?". And if there is an example, was that game actually not very good (BBCEX) or was it just limited? (P4A) And did people actually play it or did they just talk about playing it? (GG)

Top Bottom