• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Dahbomb

He's always been doing the scrubby shit with shell kick. It's a scrubby move.

His game has improved since EVO but at EVO he wasn't 100% to begin with. His play with Vergil is a lot better than it was back then and his movements/confirms with Morrigan are more on point now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Went through that whole SKD vid. Got a lot out of it. Some of the OS I already knew about it, but seeing certain applications and counters to it was helpful.

It's got me to try these out more in real matches whenever I scout it.

Anne

Went through that whole SKD vid. Got a lot out of it. Some of the OS I already knew about it, but seeing certain applications and counters to it was helpful.

It's got me to try these out more in real matches whenever I scout it.

Well unfortunately you live in America, where 99.9% of players are blissfully unaware.

Rhapsody

Banned
Well unfortunately you live in America, where 99.9% of players are blissfully unaware.

Man :( But these games get so much fun when both people know. So many players not knowing, it's losing a big aspect of playing the game.

At least I'll look like a wizard to some people that don't know what I'm doing.

The rare KOF types

*attaches a special snowflake badge to his shirt*
*barfs*

lol. no offense to arturo or nerdjosh, but when my friend played nerd josh in uniel. he beat him the first game in loser finals, then the 2nd two games arturo coached josh during the matches (not just inbetween) and told josh to block high and stuff which led him to win loser finals.

Was pretty funny b/c we joked that he lost to arturo in winners finals and then hologram arturo in loser finals in pools.

Coaching mid-match just seems wrong to me. Between matches, fine, but let the player try to implement the coach's ideas himself.

I heard some shit about people soaking tampons with vodka and inserting them. My first generation gap moment.

Try booze to the rectum with a hose.

Speaking of weird things, dustloopers' twitter accounts = o_O'

I'm so eager to see what high level play will be for this character. It can only be silly as hell with all that mid game min-maxing and shit flying around.

This chick got a ghost piano, goddamn.

Yup. Also, look through the footage in slow motion. Her masked expressions are hilarious. Fun to imagine something so cute desperately trying to be creepy.

Anne

People are slowly learning. I run a lot of fuzzy defense in Persona and once in a blue moon I get called out on it. Every now and then I see an upback air grab too and know something went wrong.

Problem is people aren't good with them yet, since they don't run into them much. Like people run anti-fuzzy on me, but they run it mindlessly not thinking of what I'm OSing. I ran into a Narukami the other night who saw me OS once and then did 5A > divekick twice on me, so I started fuzzy DPing and fuzzy rolling and he just died.

Then I run into people who use fuzzy jump way too much or in bad spots, so I just kill them for it. It's really bad because Aigis basically can invalidate fuzzy jump, but fuzzy roll/mash without layering throw are conscious ways to force me to change my pressure, and people really forget about them.

We're part way there in the fact people are becoming aware of them, now we need people to get smart about applying them :T

Edit: On a humorous note, I tested out fuzzy defense OSes in SF4 after Momochi's vids were a thing. There some fun ones. You can actually 171 vs divekick pressure and layer LP+LK+HK to get throw tech/blocl/jump back anti divekick button if you're worried about whatever crouch tech normal you select dying to something. Weird stuff like that exists in the game, along with fuzzybackdash/mash OSes some people have been using for a long time. I will note in the example above there are high risk/high reward ways to blow that up to the moon and back, but it's pretty great that it exists and functions as such.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I agree with Mike Ross on the subject of coaching:

jXVv0sW.jpg

Rhapsody

Banned
Persona's probably my worst out of the ASW games for sure on OS. I'm just bad on executing them or shutting others down. It's also why I struggle in that game a whole lot more than GG's or BB's.
I should probably review all those after finals this week to prepare for Evo. I could really use it.

Anne

Eh, just make sure you practice them properly and have the awareness on how they work. At the end of the day they're just options. Strong as they are, you might need to go with the other ones based on who you're playing :T

Tbf if you don't have them vs somebody who does, you might lose right there though. Knife to a gun fight and all that.

SEAM in 2 weeks

Daigo Mago Tokido Momochi Fuudo Kazunoko Bonchan Kichijojiken KOK Dashio Reiketsu Nemo Shiro Misse Matsuri Kawaguchi Gachikun Gonzales Eita Santarou
Poongko Infiltration
Gamerbee RB
Xian Gackt
Dakou Xiaohai
Big Bird
Humanbomb

I got my money on Markman
datholdupplayy9ibe3.png

Sayad

Gotta admire the tech though, next time I'm in an argument with someone here, I'm calling them out for the venue scandal at Apex to come out on top.

gutabo

I don't know why(that has nothing to do with me) but I feel insulted in a very basic, profound way.

If you have something to say about me or my countrymen bring it on Ragingknight, I'm not responsible for the actions of all of them(and I shouldn't have to defend them anyway, even after what I've posted here) but seems like expecting you to understand that was a mistake.

Breh, seriously. What. The. Fuck.

Kumubou

Eh, just make sure you practice them properly and have the awareness on how they work. At the end of the day they're just options. Strong as they are, you might need to go with the other ones based on who you're playing :T

Tbf if you don't have them vs somebody who does, you might lose right there though. Knife to a gun fight and all that.
That sounds like the sort of thing that non-FG players imagine how the genre works. Oh it's all about this crazy obtuse tech and 64-minute combos. Basically, that every fighting game plays like the HnK fighter.

I'll be honest -- being aware of the various OSs in BB and P4A but not really knowing how to do them or how to deal with them makes me even less likely to ever want to play them (although, to be fair, I wouldn't play either game even if the OSs didn't exist.

As for why most players aren't aware of it... it's not documented anywhere, either in game or by the community. Even the biggest fighting games aren't in the situation where games like LoL or Hearthstone are, where people are getting paid (even if it's not much) to produce content regarding those games. So anything done for FGs is purely a passion project, and that tends to wear down quickly when you run into sheer amounts of apathy and stupidity that you can find on the Internet.

Zissou

Please document stuff.

If anybody can tell me (in Xrd)
1) how to perform fuzzy defense
2) why it's good/what it beats
3) how to counter my opponent doing fuzzy defense
I will be grateful.

Thores

Who do you guys think they'll reveal at the conference for SFV? And how many characters? I think the stage is big enough for more than one character, also interesting the Bison trailer didn't have a teaser at the end.

I'm thinking Skullomania probably Q as the character we haven't seen in a long time. I think E3 would be great to reveal a new character at as well.

I think four characters would be a great number. Two relatively boring returning characters that we already expect, one surprise non-SFIV veteran, and one newcomer. That might be a bit much to actually expect, but I do think we'll see at least two characters.

I hope the veteran is Karin but I don't see them announcing her before Sakura. I'm guessing Alex or Urien instead.

Beyond that I think there'll definitely be some beta talk, if not just "and after pre-ordering you can get the beta on the PSN Store as soon as this presentation ends!" and a release date. Hopefully some info on how they're handling SFV's post-release support, like whether or not they're following the KI model.

Sony is definitely treating SFV like a big deal (even if they didn't treat Ultra's port that way), and I think there'll be something hype inducing during their conference. Still Capcom though, and they sort of have a track record of underdelivering on announcements after hyping them up for months, so we'll see.

I'd expect at least four characters.

I still contend that these sort of reveals are stupid anyway. Just tell us the whole cast and a release date. We will still buy it, we will not forgot. Alternatively, people will not accidentally buy it and then realise their favourite character is not in it BUT OH SHIT IT IS TOO LATE.

It is 2015. Just give us the info and move on. We are all on the internet, we can access that information at any time.

Essay

any of y'all who are interested in VF rooms this week have access to 360? or are we PSN only?

I have one, but would have to burn an XBL Gold code to play.
Please document stuff.

If anybody can tell me (in Xrd)
1) how to perform fuzzy defense
2) why it's good/what it beats
3) how to counter my opponent doing fuzzy defense
I will be grateful.

1) Hold down-back Faultless when on wakeup/leaving blockstun > Transition to up-back Faultless just before you throw invulnerability wears off > Transition back to down-back. If you go back a few days on Lord Knight's Twitter, he had a good recommendation for how to train it with Sol dummy recordings.

2) Survives and pushes back low/mid meaties, jumps out of tick throws (sometimes air blocking the normal that comes out), and goes back to blocking some delayed lows in blockstrings.

3) Meaty overhead, quick stagger double/delay low to catch prejump (potentially a air unblockable mid works too?), airthrow, make them burn their meter so they fail to FD, and probably some things I'm forgetting as I realize I'm late for work.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I don't know why(that has nothing to do with me) but I feel insulted in a very basic, profound way.

If you have something to say about me or my countrymen bring it on Ragingknight, I'm not responsible for the actions of all of them(and I shouldn't have to defend them anyway, even after what I've posted here) but seems like expecting you to understand that was a mistake.

Breh, seriously. What. The. Fuck.

Hey Gutabo. You're my hero. <3 XoXo

mRxfsRN.jpg

I don't think you should take his comment too seriously it was clear he got mad mixed up.

:eek:

Horseress

I'm thinking 4 character reveals (one brand new character) @ e3 plus one more @ EVO, and a new stage, plus a release date for the beta. And, since the game will be playable, we'll finally know wtf are those stances

About this american league people are talking about, yes please

Tripon

Who do you guys think they'll reveal at the conference for SFV? And how many characters? I think the stage is big enough for more than one character, also interesting the Bison trailer didn't have a teaser at the end.

I'm thinking Skullomania probably Q as the character we haven't seen in a long time. I think E3 would be great to reveal a new character at as well.

- - -

Another thing I considered is that the Square Enix thing could be a character from an IP that's last game released in 2013. Games they put out in 2013:

Dragon Quest VII (3DS)
Tomb Raider
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Final Fantasy III (Ouya)
Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online
Diffusion Million Arthur
Gyrozetter: Wings of the Albatross
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Chaos Rings
Lord of Vermilion III
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Wii U)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Drakengard 3
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Perhaps a guest character from one of those games? Hell, maybe a FFIII character to combine with the character-we-haven't-seen-in-a-while hint?
Square Enix would promote Lightening...

CurlyW

It does matter when you can't even read or comprehend correctly what is even going on.

Dizzy did not leave NRS employment for over a month between period from what people said he was still an employee at NRS 1 week before he left and ending up winning the Pot Bonus they put up. Like me and many other players (top players) pointed out there was a conflict of interest issue.

Raiden was never patched or adjusted at all before ComboBreaker took place.

Like I said I'll back SonicFox over Dizzy the next time they meet and I'll being taking all side bets up to $1,000.

Okay, three things:

1) NRS employees have gone on record to say that Dizzy left NRS months before the game came out. Your key information is wrong.

2) Even if your key information was right, if "Raiden was never patched or adjusted at all before ComboBreaker took place", then how would a tester have any advantage over anybody else? You might have a point if a patch had been released a week prior to the tournament, but that's not the case. Your points don't match up.

3) Raiden's broken stuff that you say that Dizzy abused? Digit used the same stuff a couple weeks prior in winning Texas Showdown.

Top Bottom