• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 16-22 | Mo Money, Momochi

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg

Does this character have an option for everything? If no can the character overwhelm with their expertise? Is the toolset fun?

Can I do everything and enjoy the execution requirements for power exchange of the character?

Do I enjoy the character's personality? Good voice acting and writing goes a long way.

Are they cool, cute, funny, or endearing?

How fun are their combos? Style and Flash, or simple and powerful. In general combos with a steady rhythm.

Are they the half naked?

Relique

I said it in the opening sentence. Character power is important to me, but it's not the only thing that matters :p

Cool list nonetheless. I think we may have played KOF13 at some point. I am not sure.

I think I have the version of this where I most often pick characters who are the top of high tier. There's hardly ever been a top 3 character that I completely jive with in most games (weirdly enough). My favorite character tends to be ranked at #4.

Nothing wrong with that. I have horrible execution so it takes me forever to get to an acceptable level at any fighting game.. I find that I need to gravitate towards the top if I am not any good at a particular game. Other games I play more casually and don't really care about winning so I just pick whatever I like from an aesthetic viewpoint.

I think I have the version of this where I most often pick characters who are the top of high tier. There's hardly ever been a top 3 character that I completely jive with in most games (weirdly enough). My favorite character tends to be ranked at #4.

That's a friend of mine pretty much exactly :p

mbpm1

Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg

Gimme fireballs and a versatile toolset and I'm generally good to go

So Ky in Xrd, Robin in Smash, Ken/Ryu in SF4, Kou in Yatagarasu

Failing both, versatile toolset is good

Oh, and they shouldn't look stupid or if they do they should be on troll levels of stupid like Platinum or Lucky Chloe something

so not DJ looks

Tripon

Pick a fast looking character who might actually seem fast, see if I can easy combos with him or her that doesn't require memorization, and if that doesn't happen, go back to Chun Li.

Anne

I just pick characters I relate to who let me do what I want. Probably why I like Persona but not actual ASW chars.

Beckx

Sorry Q, I won't be able to help you at all, our(my wife's and mine) credit cards got cloned this morning and all our savings(not that much) + this month's two week payment(it's 15) are gone. We were all day calling the bank and at the police station and seems like we're not getting anything back :(

On topic: maybe someone can link me to today's VODs to watch momochi beat everyone else?

Shit man, that's awful. Sorry to hear it, hoping that you get some good news soon.

Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg

First, visual design. Hugely important to me. Second, how they move. Third, how well I can play them.

My biggest frustration with SFIV is that the characters that I want to play, I can't play very well at all, so instead I played characters that don't appeal to me all. Which is probably why I finally stopped playing. Meanwhile in Full Boost the suits I play best are also among the suits I find most visually appealing so it's part of my love for that game.

Example: Sinanju. It's red (3 times as fast), design is gorgeous (fixing most of the things I didn't like about Sazabi), and with rock kicks & bazooka rolls moves in a really fun way. Love it love it love it.

Frantic

Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg
Biggest thing is whether the character is fun to play. I can get over most visual/artistic issues if the character is fun enough to play. And generally what I consider "fun" are characters who are versatile, and can switch "styles" at the drop of the hat. I don't really like being tied to one style of play, so I gravitate towards characters that can do a something of everything. Zoning, keepaway, rushdown, pressure, etc.

Azure J

Biggest thing is whether the character is fun to play. I can get over most visual/artistic issues if the character is fun enough to play. And generally what I consider "fun" are characters who are versatile, and can switch "styles" at the drop of the hat. I don't really like being tied to one style of play, so I gravitate towards characters that can do a something of everything. Zoning, keepaway, rushdown, pressure, etc.

Can I alter parts of my answer to this? :p

This. Is why I end up picking top tier.

hitsugi

I've always been drawn to characters that lent themselves to an aggressive play style.. my qualifications don't take much. After play style comes actual style - one reason Guy is the GOAT.

Frantic

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention is I like characters who also have a lot of depth. Even if they have versatility, if I don't feel like I'm learning more about the character all the time, I get bored.

Can I alter parts of my answer to this? :p
Go for it. ;P

This. Is why I end up picking top tier.
Yeah, top-tiers tend to be the most versatile and the most fun in general. Though some are also boring to play, imo.

Yeah, top-tiers tend to be the most versatile and the most fun in general. Though some are also boring to play, imo.

They're usually not the most characterful ones of the bunch. It's why Zato is so great IMO. He's blatantly top tier, but also just easily one of the more interesting designs in the game.

JeTmAn81

I chose Dante in MVC3 because he was supposed to have the most-ever number of special moves. I chose Akuma in SFIV because he has air fireballs.

zoutlaw

Banned
They use Sanwa JLFs I'm pretty sure. A JLF should fit if it's anything like old Hori cases.

Oh wait I forgot my octo gate is not what came standard with the TE--- square gate did.

I'll have to double check, but I have a feeling it wasn't a swana octo gate I bought online for mad cheap

Oh wait I forgot my octo gate is not what came standard with the TE--- square gate did.

I'll have to double check, but I have a feeling it wasn't a swana octo gate I bought online for mad cheap

The gate shouldn't affect it anyway. The main part you have to worry about is the mounting plate. The Hori's don't have the screw holes for Seimitsu so it'll be a heavy mod. The Hayabusa and Sanwa use the same specifications, so you don't have to worry about not matching up.

TWILT

Banned
And Vanilla Dante™ da gawd
Invincible Hammer 2 strong

I will say I have more fun playing as Ultimate Dante if only because his inputs are easier to do. Stupid double shoryuken motions...
Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg
It really depends for me. Most of the time, I try and go for the character with the sword, but if they're aesthetically appealing to me, I'll go for them (see my current avatar, even though I suck at GG lol).

I like going for the character that have a lot of options and in general super fun though (Dante with his various amount of special moves, or Shulk being able to change his attributes on the fly). It helps that I'm a huge fan of the series they come from.

I mostly pick characters based on aesthetics, but if they suck too much or are really boring to play I eventually drop them. But always had Dante and/or Vergil on my marvel teams because I'm a dmc fan. Also I sort of knew Dante and Vergil would be fun to play because Neo_G was the combat designer for DMC 4.. usually sword based characters too..

zoutlaw

Banned
I've always been drawn to characters that lent themselves to an aggressive play style.. my qualifications don't take much. After play style comes actual style - one reason Guy is the GOAT.

Fighters are so strange to me. I'm always drawn by the quick agile agile characters that are super stylized, or just in general have "cool" factor. Ultimately I've started to realize my style doesn't work for that.

I tend to do way better with the big characters. Potemkin, Abel, Honda, etc. I need a ton of health to make mistakes with to learn the opponent's tendencies and have a big comeback factor. Small work for big pay off. Low execution also helps lol. However, most big characters need solid execution to pull off good play with them, i.e Potemkin 6K loop, and I still suck at step kick 1F link on Abel. I just now picked up Honda since he is close to Potemkin in Xrd, and that is the only fighter in the last 5+ years where I feel I'm "good" at. Not great, but I feel very solid when I play.

Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg

First, I see what characters in the fighting game have a command throw, and compare the options they all have in comparison to one another. This generally applies to 2D fighters only, 3D is a whole 'nother thing. Basically, I just pick the physical monster in 3D games.

Other little aesthetic details help; is the character a physical monster, are they barefoot, what fighting style do they use, do they have a weapon, etc...but generally, I look for command throws.

xezuru

Its that time again...
<image>

In order of influence priority of character selection:

Strider>Offense based>Insane Mechanic>How cool their combos look>Song Theme>Sword>Cool Guy>Capes>Wake Up Game>Other appearance nuances

History of mains/character allured to:
SF: Ryu/Akuma/Cody/Dudley
(Attempted) Marvel: Dante/Vergil/Strider/Frank West/Phoenix Wright ** Jin Saotome/Captain Commando
Smash: Ro-*COUGH*-Marth/Falco/Captain Falcon/Greninja/Ness
Guilty: Venom/Sin/Baiken/Ky
Anime game I don't play: Seth

Its that time again...

My first pass is always aesthetics. I dislike trolly characters (Teddie, Dan, Dampierre) and detest the beefcake-bulging-muscles-bushy-eyebrows-angry-dude stereotype (Jin, Ryu-- actually most of the cast in SF4 has arms wider than their heads, sadly). I like pretty girls, swords, ninja's. Goes for their moves too, i like stuff that looks zippy.

Then i just take the chosen few for a spin in training mode. I don't like/am awful at rushdown and play defensively, so i typically want some way to engage the RTSD players from outside of their threat range. Long pokes, fireballs, or some special movement mode that lets me pop in and out.
Then i usually want someone who's not too hard to play since my execution sucks and my brain's busy trying to anticipate the opponent.
Lastly i might disqualify characters that are too garbage tier. I've been playing shitty characters for too long now, and the fun wears off. =/

I'll usually make aesthetic sacrifices for gameplay reasons. I typically end with some character that doesn't look too horrible but feels like it fits me and feels nice to play.

I generally pick characters based on how obvious their basic gameplan is, I like it when I can tell easily what the purpose of any move is just by looking at it. Also a big part of why I favor games where universal mechanics are prevalent like KOF rather than character-specific stuff.

Various mains/secondaries:

SF2HF to ST: Zangief
Smash 64: Link
3rd Strike: Dudley
Soul Calibur 2: Astaroth
Soul Calibur 4: Raphael
SFIV (quit after Super): Dictator, though if I were to go back to this game I would never touch that character again and would most likely learn Hakan instead
Melee/Brawl/Project M/Smash 4: Ganondorf (stuck with him out of laziness tbh)
MVC 3 (that was short-lived): Trish/Taskmaster/Zero
KOF 98UM: EX Ryo/EX Kyo/EX Blue Mary, with Clark and/or Shingo replacing any one of them at times
KOF 02UM: changed recently to Takuma/Kusanagi/Kyo

Recent games where I really chose my characters while more aware of what exactly I was looking for as described above:

KOF XIII: EX Kyo/Clark/Claw Iori (I sometimes switch EX Kyo out for Duo Lon)
Yatagarasu: Crow/Chadha

Infinite

Does the character look cool? Is the character fun to control? Does the character have a diverse and/or compelling tool-set?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg

I don't really have any specific to find my main, but for some reason, I usually ended up maining grappler characters.

I always must try every characters in the game because I want to see which characters that would click with me. Once I got few characters that I actually clicked with then I will take them to training room or challenge modes to learn more about them. I know it's very simple but it work very well for me sometime.

Sometime I would play favorite with characters *cough Duck Hunt cough* At least it's moveset actually clicked with me tho.

Man, Hakan should come back to SFV.

Its that time again...

Wg4QkiX.jpg

I almost exclusively play female characters (that Chun Li damage form ST II), but they also have to be super agile/mobile. Also somewhat easy to pick up is a plus, as I suck at fighting games in general.

Slightly Astroturf-y:
On an unrelated note, how complete/accurate are the calendars at SRK/EventHubs? I'm trying to put together another installment of AllAKSYS!, but it's proving to be...problematic.

At least two "dumb" buttons (a move with good priority/range/utility like bison's HK,Rog's cr LP)

NOT Anime/Moe character design.
Usually pick a goofy character.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156127504]I just pick characters with long normals cause I have no footsies.[/QUOTE]

I guess we agree one this though I hate your Dudley's fHP.

zoutlaw

Banned
I tried to mod, and no dice. You need to do more drilling of holes to the octo gate in order to stick it in with the screws sadly.

Oh wells. Learn to square gate I guess. :(

Anne

I tried to mod, and no dice. You need to do more drilling of holes to the octo gate in order to stick it in with the screws sadly.

Weird. If you have the stick mounted, Sanwa octo gates are just little inserts that you swap out with the square insert. no drilling or anything, it just twists and pops out.

This doesn't sound right... if you don't mind, can you take pics? You're taking out the stick with the mounting plate, right? Not just the stick itself?

Weird. If you have the stick mounted, Sanwa octo gates are just little inserts that you swap out with the square insert. no drilling or anything, it just twists and pops out.

the hyabusa stick is designed a bit differently compared to the sanwa/seimetsu sticks. I think it has a casing around the stick itself. I don't remember

Top Bottom