• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Ascension to Feature Season Pass, Microtransactions

Draugoth

Gold Member
silent-hill-ascension-pack-fondateur-31-10-2023_0901027523.jpg

Silent Hill: Ascension will be free to watch and interact with. The app itself, available from the App Store and Google Play, is also free to download. But viewers can purchase a season pass that will work similarly to many games’ battle passes. That season pass unlocks a long list of in-game cosmetics, including stickers and character customization options.

Main_Hub.jpeg

Genvid_Entertainment_-_SILENT_HILL_Ascension_The_Essentials_cYv2Q4mXfEA_-_640x360_-_4m01s.png

Viewers who want to be a part of the experience will be able to show off those cosmetics through cameo contests. Ascension viewers’ in-app avatars have the opportunity to show up as extras and in speaking roles.

Genvid’s series will play out nightly, with new episodes premiering at 9 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. PDT. As episodes stream, viewers can vote in real time, spending what are called Influence Points, or IP (styled as ᚾᚹ in the app), to sway decisions. The more points you have, the stronger your influence, says Jacob Navok, CEO of Genvid.

Navok says that Silent Hill: Ascension won’t be pay-to-win; viewers can’t simply spend a bunch of money on IP to outvote their fellow Silent Hill fans. And while IP can be purchased directly and unlocked through the season pass, there are free ways to earn the points. In addition to its branching narrative scenes, Ascension has moments called Endurance Scenes, real-time QTEs that viewers can participate in to decide characters’ fate (and earn them IP).

Karl__Hope_and_Fate.jpeg

Genvid is selling the season pass for $19.99, which spans six months of content. That six-month window includes the original 16-week playthrough of the interactive series, and new game plus-style replays, which will offer different outcomes. The initial season pass is available as part of a Founder’s Pack until Nov. 14, and that pack includes exclusive cosmetics.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished today’s short clip. It took 4-5 minutes to watch it and I got to vote on a decision. It’s not much content. What I don’t get is why is that worth $20 for extras? You’re literally paying to customize your avatar to watch a show about Silent Hill.

It was free, but still. Why would you want to pay extra?

It’s about as stupid as paying to watch someone else play a video game. You’re 1 in a sea of thousands. Your choice is pointless, but I guess that’s what this modern gaming platform is all about.

Caffeine

ye thats what im thinking.
-ascension is a mobile trash whatever
-sh2 bloobmake will be average like medium, purists will rake it across the coals
-townfall actually a good narrative indie game that will fly under the radar not really having an impact on the franchise.
-sh2 movie will be alright like the first one but it will have a lot of changes I know ill still probably like it.
-f, neobards has no massive projects to even speak of and its probably a visual novel with cutscenes lol.

i hope this doesnt make silent hill a laughing stock lol
i will just watch it when its done on youtube

Last edited:

MLSabre

And the fanboys desperate to play their new game from a dead franchise will eat it all up in the name of "funding for the next title".

I dunno about everyone else but if a dead franchise I cherish is being revived to be microtransaction hell, I rather it lay down in its crypt permanently with its dignity intact.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I'm dead. Konami wants to monetize Telltale-like story games, funniest shit I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom