• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Ascension to Feature Season Pass, Microtransactions

spartan30gr

will ferrell elf GIF by Sunergos Coffee

Way to drag an IP through the mud, Konami.

The fact that people still have hopes for Konami is so funny to me.

My hope is they collapse and get sold to better publishers/devs.
Konami is more than video games. But, you're right in that sense they should sell their traditional gaming branch to someone who cares (read: NOT one of the mega publishers).

ShadowNate

I'm still not sure how this is going to work as a Silent Hill game and catch on.

But I'm happy to put it in the pile of "this never happened" Silent Hill titles.

SCB3

I'm all for new experiences and that but I don't even know what this is supposed to be?

I mean if you're gonna go this way, my not get Supermassive to do it like Until Dawn or the Dark Pictures games, at least they are somewhat fun to actually play through

tommib

I have zero faith in the remakes of MGS3 and SH2 being authentic.

Konami are a joke right now.
SH2 remake is going to be terrible and a good chance of winning the award to the graphical downgrade of our lifetimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Since they revealed what this project actually was this has been marked for death. Most predictable bomb I've ever seen.

Naked Lunch

Team Silent has long since disbanded.
There will never be another good SH.

In different ways, the SH2 remake looks equally as garbage.
But the fans cried and cried for the series to return - and this is what you get.

Just stick with 1-3. Thats all there ever will be.

Reckheim

Looks dope, this is how I've aways wanted to experience my horror games, with random commentary from strangers.

gQ9G5fv.png
who is this for? Like how do you sit in a room full of sane adults and think this will be anything but a huge flop.

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
I love Silent Hill. It's my personal favourite series, but this is less of a game than a pachinko machine.

The director or whoever of this has come across like a massive egocentric idiot and by him alone I wouldn't waste money on this. (He even had some shots at the other unreleased games too saying something along the lines of "Silent Hill f isnt a Silent Hill game and not set in Japan, while the twat was hyping this mess up.)

It's like a Dark Pictures game, but as a movie with no immersion and the microtransactions and UI are like a website that won't load unless you disable your ad blocker so it can vomit up pop ups and flashing pictures at you.

I'll still give the others a chance, but this was confusing when it was announced and now its confusing AND disgusting. Shame.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
wait i thought this is not supposed to be a actual "game" more like an interactive choice game? lmao

Last edited:
From what I understand the voting is basically the same setup as DealDash penny bidding. You have to pay for points, put as many points into whatever decision you want, and the majority will most likely already do what you were going to bid on, or they would have chose something else. Either way there's zero reason to put your money down on the voting. Then you can buy a character and try and get them into a cameo . . . this all just sounds like butt.

Caffeine

everyone that thought this money siphoning app was a good idea is a problem with this industry I just wanted a good game telling a story to enhance the franchise. they should go find work in a different industry tbh.

The Snake

From what I understand the voting is basically the same setup as DealDash penny bidding. You have to pay for points, put as many points into whatever decision you want, and the majority will most likely already do what you were going to bid on, or they would have chose something else. Either way there's zero reason to put your money down on the voting. Then you can buy a character and try and get them into a cameo . . . this all just sounds like butt.

Correct. You purchase "Influence Points" and you can use them to make your votes matter more than people who didn't pay. I can't make this shit up.

Correct. You purchase "Influence Points" and you can use them to make your votes matter more than people who didn't pay. I can't make this shit up.
I tried dealdash once when I worked overnight. Figured I had an advantage others wouldn't since I was bidding at things closing at like 4am . . . I "won" next to nothing. Even at that time.
Plus people probably do bots/scripts. This kinda voting/bidding is crap. At least dealdash is tangible things. Which way a story goes in a video game? who cares. haha

"Navok says that Silent Hill: Ascension won’t be pay-to-win; viewers can’t simply spend a bunch of money on IP to outvote their fellow Silent Hill fans. And while IP can be purchased directly and unlocked through the season pass, there are free ways to earn the points."

That sounds exactly like pay to win lol

Gambit2483

silent-hill-ascension-pack-fondateur-31-10-2023_0901027523.jpg

Main_Hub.jpeg

Genvid_Entertainment_-_SILENT_HILL_Ascension_The_Essentials_cYv2Q4mXfEA_-_640x360_-_4m01s.png

Viewers who want to be a part of the experience will be able to show off those cosmetics through cameo contests. Ascension viewers’ in-app avatars have the opportunity to show up as extras and in speaking roles.

Genvid’s series will play out nightly, with new episodes premiering at 9 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. PDT. As episodes stream, viewers can vote in real time, spending what are called Influence Points, or IP (styled as ᚾᚹ in the app), to sway decisions. The more points you have, the stronger your influence, says Jacob Navok, CEO of Genvid.

Navok says that Silent Hill: Ascension won’t be pay-to-win; viewers can’t simply spend a bunch of money on IP to outvote their fellow Silent Hill fans. And while IP can be purchased directly and unlocked through the season pass, there are free ways to earn the points. In addition to its branching narrative scenes, Ascension has moments called Endurance Scenes, real-time QTEs that viewers can participate in to decide characters’ fate (and earn them IP).

Karl__Hope_and_Fate.jpeg

Genvid is selling the season pass for $19.99, which spans six months of content. That six-month window includes the original 16-week playthrough of the interactive series, and new game plus-style replays, which will offer different outcomes. The initial season pass is available as part of a Founder’s Pack until Nov. 14, and that pack includes exclusive cosmetics.
2rmJQ1e.gif

SHA

I also understand ten years from now you'll read comments about how they liked the game, the same thing happened to even the original trilogy, I'm aware of people's pov now and then, I'm not surprised and won't be either.

Sleepwalker

"Navok says that Silent Hill: Ascension won’t be pay-to-win; viewers can’t simply spend a bunch of money on IP to outvote their fellow Silent Hill fans. And while IP can be purchased directly and unlocked through the season pass, there are free ways to earn the points."

That sounds exactly like pay to win lol
Just a reflection of how politics work, yes you can earn the votes organically but however buys the most usually wins.

radewagon

Good horror can make good use of subverted expectations. Considering how awful this looks, it would be an absolute master stroke if Konami somehow made this the most deliciously disturbing experience ever. There is so much they could do with this format to mess with people. It could be the next Doki Doki Literature Club.

Too bad it'll probably just be exactly what it looks like, though.

Top Bottom