• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

OceanBlue

tbh, Japan and America's casual market is way more open to 2v2 fighting games than the hardcore community in America.
The hardcore community for what? I don't really expect the FGC to move to Dissidia 3. I just think it'd be interesting if it attracts more long term players than a lot of fighting games.

fader

The hardcore community for what? I don't really expect the FGC to move to Dissidia 3. I just think it'd be interesting if it attracts more long term players than a lot of fighting games.

hardcore = FGC

I'm not expecting them to move to it, but I would bet an extremely low amount of them would see Dissidia 3 as a viable competitive option even if it was build to be from the ground up.

OceanBlue

hardcore = FGC

I'm not expecting them to move to it, but I would bet an extremely low amount of them would see Dissidia 3 as a viable competitive option even if it was build to be from the ground up.
What I was trying to get at was that the hardcore FGC's acceptance of Dissidia doesn't really matter when most of them don't even overlap in different fighting games anyway.

Csr

Saying player pool size is the problem is like saying FGs are unpopular because they are unpopular.
In reality they are popular just not as popular as other games.

Not to mention as people have mentioned there has been a notable increase in player pool size during SFIV release, and presumably in the anime scene during P4 launch in America.

The real answer to player pool size problem and as to how you teach people to play is that fighting games don't retain most of the people they manage to pull in. Both of these problems can be solved when someone figures out how to make fighting games fun for most people.

I think the problem is also how to keep the casuals that allready find fg's fun. They will play the single player content and perhaps a few versus games online and offline and move on.
It seems to me that the developers besides trying to appeal to an even bigger crowd should also find out how to retain the casuals and how to target those that are allready into competitive games like lol, dota, cs go. A bigger playerbase obviously means that more players will keep playing but i think that too many players move on too quickly as it is now.

Kimosabae

Banned
I dunno, I'd like to think it's more relevant than people not wanting to be "closer to smash." For spectators there's virtually no difference between a 1v1 and 2v2 in something like SFxT, TTT2 or MK9. For veteran players it adds nothing that you couldn't do playing solo. For new players it's less time spent playing the game and less opportunities to learn. There's just no tangible benefit with the way it currently exists in traditional FGs.

I think you're just hella projecting.

You're speaking as though context is not an important aspect of spectating. I think, If people watching know that a Jin/Kaz team is being played by Mike Ross/FAB, the context and thus experience will be different than were they spectating Kaz/Jin being played by FAB alone. Especially with commentators providing insight in regards to play styles. Granted, this is projecting also, but at least it has some foundation in our history of shared experiences, such as sports.

As someone that had a great time in the early 00's with the 4 player tag modes in DOA2 and TTT, I can say with confidence that the tactics and strategies involved in 4-player tag gameplay are different and offer new and interesting challenges and dynamics not found in 1v1 gameplay. Having to constantly communicate and be in tune with your teammate for tag-ins and team juggles is a lot of fun and a truly competitive team will have to build a strong foundation of synchrony and trust.

"For new players it's less time spent playing the game and less opportunities to learn. There's just no tangible benefit with the way it currently exists in traditional FGs."

I mean... you're really just talking out of your ass here. No offense. In a game where learning two characters simultaneously can be daunting, like TTT2, having a veteran player controlling half the team and calling the shots can take pressure off the learning experience in myriad ways. Of course, a lot that comes down to how well the vet teaches.

It's projections like that that geezers make why modes like that never see the light of day in a tournament - they never even gave it the light of day in their own homes, but they feel comfortable leveling opinions on it.

*Cue you telling me you've spent countless hours playing tag modes with buddies.

When the implementation is so lackadaisical it's hardly fair to place the blame on the games' communities for not giving them a chance. SFxT's cross assault is pretty much the only thing that's even tried to shake up 2v2s since like... GG Isuka.

"Lackadasical'? It just needs to be functional and we've had plenty of functional tag modes. Shit's not rocket science.

Onemic

I think the problem is also how to keep the casuals that allready find fg's fun. They will play the single player content and perhaps a few versus games online and offline and move on.
It seems to me that the developers besides trying to appeal to an even bigger crowd should also find out how to retain the casuals and how to target those that are allready into competitive games like lol, dota, cs go. A bigger playerbase obviously means that more players will keep playing but i think that too many players move on too quickly as it is now.

Then they gotta do something like KI, DOTA2, CS: GO, etc. In terms of bringing the competitive aspect of the game to the forefront. The main menu should have links to tournaments, replays of past tournies, extensive tutorials, and promotion of FGC events.

DOTA2 probably has one of the best main menu's that exemplifies this.

Since Sony is helping them develop the game, they could even do a Playstation Store integration of SFV featured FGC promotions like Steam does with DOTA2.

Csr

Then they gotta do something like KI, DOTA2, CS: GO, etc. In terms of bringing the competitive aspect of the game to the forefront. The main menu should have links to tournaments, replays of past tournies, extensive tutorials, and promotion of FGC events.

DOTA2 probably has one of the best main menu's that exemplifies this.

Since Sony is helping them develop the game, they could even do a Playstation Store integration of SFV featured FGC promotions like Steam does with DOTA2.

Yeah definitely. This gets mentioned a lot and it doesn't seem too hard to implement. I hope they do a lot more than that though.

Onemic

Yeah definitely. This gets mentioned a lot and it doesn't seem too hard to implement. I hope they do a lot more than that though.

There a newbie in the USF4 thread that is pretty much showing exactly what's wrong with most FG's(Especially Capcom FG's) in regards to keeping new players. It's hilarious that it's coinciding with this discussion at pretty much the exact same time.

Thulius

Well whatever, you're probably right about geezers not giving these things a chance. Just throwing out speculation that makes the most sense in my head. Call it projecting if you want but the reasoning I would best understand isn't necessarily the one I agree with.

I personally love the idea of 2v2 being a standard and smash is my favorite series in the scene by far. Had a ton of fun with SFxT 2v2s for the month or so that people actually gave that game a chance around here. I just figure if all it took was a functional tag mode to get people interested then one of the many functional tag modes would've taken off by now. Too optimistic, I guess.

Have any of you guys tried 2v2 in DFO? I used to play it a decent amount with srkers back in the day and I think that actually hits a nice balance and allows both participants to be active. Unlike other games with 2v2, there are a lot of active support certain players can accomplish. Like a Fnen might not be high tier in 1v1 but when she boosts attack speed and sets up zone control with dopple gangers and bubbles that prevent damage, while also electrocuting enemies so they receive more damage, it makes her a crazy good team mate, while someone like fgrappler can give people hugs which is a good chance you'll be dead if the other teammate is on you at the same moment. A lot of team modes in fighting games make it feel like you are doing your own thing, the closest teamwork is smash since you are both active and controlling space and in that game the synergy is less dynamic since the characters aren't necessarily designed ground up to directly support others. The ship probably sailed for the game to get a large competitive base in the US besides some community events, but I think it brings a lot of ideas on how you can get synergistic teamplay for a fighter.

Silent_Z

What does this mean?

DRM on DLC characters requires systems to be online for a period of time. Online systems are forced to patch the game. Typically tournament organizers will give a new patch some amount of time to be explored before running that version at an event. Tournament organizers are unable to hold off on running newer versions of MKX due to DLC DRM.

DRM on DLC characters requires systems to be online for a period of time. Online systems are forced to patch the game. Typically tournament organizers will give a new patch some amount of time to be explored before running that version at an event. Tournament organizers are unable to hold off on running newer versions of MKX due to DLC DRM.

This shouldn't be the case for the last gen versions once they drop, right?

Rhapsody

Banned
Just DLed Ultra on PC since it's a free trial for just the weekend. Yellow and Green bars feel really close to offline...?

I thought people said the online sucked, even after it got fixed? This is way better than the connections I had on XBL and PSN.

Beckx

It's funny that despite all the sound and fury over always online, and "For the Gamers" and all that nonsense, mandatory check-ins are a reality.

Onemic

Just DLed Ultra on PC since it's a free trial for just the weekend. Yellow and Green bars feel really close to offline...?

I thought people said the online sucked, even after it got fixed? This is way better than the connections I had on XBL and PSN.

Ever since the patch came out 3 weeks back, the online has been amazing. I cant see how XBL is better than this honestly. It's even better than how it was during the GFWL days.

Wanna play a few matches btw rhap?

Rhapsody

Banned
Ever since the patch came out 3 weeks back, the online has been amazing. I cant see how XBL is better than this honestly. It's even better than how it was during the GFWL days.

Wanna play a few matches btw rhap?

Sure, I can play some right now. What's your Steam ID?

Edit: Nevermind, checked your profile

fader

It's funny that despite all the sound and fury over always online, and "For the Gamers" and all that nonsense, mandatory check-ins are a reality.

don't see how mandatory check in's are equivalent to a patch that makes a DLC work...

fader

what's dfo?

dungeon fighter online

PC USF4 has ALWAYS been better than console for me, even post GFWL.

USER_Halo_Legends_1337_Epic_Bro-fist.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DLC (and full game for some PC titles) check-in DRM was a thing last gen too.

"For The Gamers" was never more than a a super transparent, albeit successful, attempt to make people believe them and their competition want different things for the market and get gung-ho gamers to perpetuate narratives. Every company plays the game of balancing consumer exploitation and consumer relations. As if any company would want less than 100% control over their product and market.

Beckx

http://shoryuken.com/2015/05/15/evo-2015-sunday-viewing-hall-nearly-sold-out/

Both of EVO's viewing halls are about to be sold out. EVO definitely needs a bigger venue next year.

Did both sell out last year? I know the main hall sold out, can't remember about the second.

DLC (and full game for some PC titles) check-in DRM was a thing last gen too.

"For The Gamers" was never more than a a super transparent, albeit successful, attempt to make people believe them and their competition want different things for the market and get gung-ho gamers to perpetuate narratives. Every company plays the game of balancing consumer exploitation and consumer relations. As if any company wouldn't want less than 100% control over their product and market.

totally. people just want to believe that "this company cares!" though.

I think kill-switches were live last gen too, at least I remember stories of MS bricking 360s and a story about Nintendo having a kill switch in the 3ds.

Dahbomb

invite sent

is it actually good tho?
Yeah it's actually good if you are a fan of old school 2D beat em ups and can stomach standard MMO mechanics. The PvP isn't a traditional fighter as you have items/builds that you have to build up to. I don't know how the balance is, I don't think it's good in that department but it has a huge competitive following in Korea and is being reintroduced in NA.

Dahbomb

As to if DFO is good or not. It has 300 million accounts. That should tell you how it is.
Well there's a difference between having a bunch of accounts and the game being actually good.

I mean just look at Destiny.

But DFO is way better than Destiny and generally better than most of the other crap f2p Asian games out there.

What's this about needing to check in? I played MKX w/ DLC offline just the other day. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

On the other hand every time I try to play MKX offline I lose access to Goro, Shinnok, and every single kostume dlc or not. I don't have Jason tho but that'd likely wouldn't be accessible either.

Then again with the way the PC port has been from the very beginning I have no idea what to blame for that.

ShinMaruku

Ya, that's its f2p Korean garbage.

Gunz online could have 5000 billion accounts and it would still be the worst game on the planet.
Now I get why you use hyperbole but there are worst games than Gunz online. :p

Well there's a difference between having a bunch of accounts and the game being actually good.

I mean just look at Destiny.

But DFO is way better than Destiny and generally better than most of the other crap f2p Asian games out there.
You should have used a better example. Destiny is rather polarizing but no other game has 300 million accounts the closest ones that are owned by the same company at at 90 and 130 million accounts. (Maple Store and Dragon Nest)

But what points to the game being good is the vibrant scene playing it and watching how big it's little e-sports wing is and watch some clips of it. I love DFO it's the perfect merger of a beat em up with fighting game mechanics, there are oTGs wall combos and other things. It's pretty good. Only real issue is some of the classes got over nerfed and the balance on the low end is REALLY bad. But that's only like 3 classes.

Skilletor

On the other hand every time I try to play MKX offline I lose access to Goro, Shinnok, and every single kostume dlc or not. I don't have Jason tho but that'd likely wouldn't be accessible either.

Then again with the way the PC port has been from the very beginning I have no idea what to blame for that.

Yeah, not sure about that, but on PS4, that wasn't the case. Took my console with a digital copy to a friend and had access to all DLC. I remember showing them Jason specifically or else I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Top Bottom