• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida has reportedly said it would be better for developers and players alike if there was just a single game platfo

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Didn't Todd Howard or someone else from Bethesda say something similar now that they don't need to do a PS5 version of Starfield?
That would be rational public statements after you just confirmed that you are not putting it on PS5. This isn't a console war gotcha. I'm just literally saying, this guy was on stage saying the exact opposite thing 2 weeks ago. Obviously working on less platforms is easier. It's just a dumb thing to say that you wish there was only one console 2 weeks after announcing a multiplatform initiative.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The problem comes that platform company able to get away with anything because there is no composition and that platform is your only option.

Mr Moose

That would be rational public statements after you just confirmed that you are not putting it on PS5. This isn't a console war gotcha. I'm just literally saying, this guy was on stage saying the exact opposite thing 2 weeks ago. Obviously working on less platforms is easier. It's just a dumb thing to say that you wish there was only one console 2 weeks after announcing a multiplatform initiative.
Oh I thought he was just talking about FF14 a few weeks back and it was the other guy saying about more games. It makes sense from a dev standpoint but not sure for consumers.

Dis

No i love Naoki Yoshida but i dont agree with this. Xbox one rollout showed that.

They completely wanted to chastise you.
No reselling games, no offline use of your console, no lending games etc.

Sony did the exact opposite and forced them to withdraw their measures/rules they wanted to put on their customers.

Now we have this eerie company imho who comes out with slogans like “If everybody plays we all win!” I think that if you wanted to restrict players from sharing games in anyway shape or form you dont get to say that.

Its eerie to me.

However

Baldurs Gate 3 being digital only, EVEN the collectors edition sold (not worth) for $250 not containing physical media. Signals to me the beginning of the end of videogames and consoles as we know it. And now i’ll have to follow suit of what users said here and take refuge with Nintendo when the time comes as i’ve heard that they will be the last bastion of physical gaming media.

No physical no buy.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Oh I thought he was just talking about FF14 a few weeks back and it was the other guy saying about more games. It makes sense from a dev standpoint but not sure for consumers.
I just am talking about PR. Todd is a great salesman. They are moving to one console, so he says it makes it better. I honestly doubt it matters or really improves Starfield but he's doing rational PR. Yoshida is on stage announcing a future of mutiplatform focus, and then says he finds it troublesome. I said in my initial comment he is perhaps too honest. Porting is a bit of work, sure, but he's just not great at sticking to the PR message is what I was saying. That's it. I just found it hilarious since it's only been about 2 weeks. Oh well.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It is coming out on pc.
I hope it does, but Sony had them taken by the balls
It's time to start developing for PC and porting to consoles again. PC version should be definitive considering hardware is far superior. Things are ass backwards now.
Problem is that a mid range PC has not even close the same bottlenecks consoles have.

I think it's basically impossible to get a PC CPU that's worse than consoles CPU, unless you get an i3 or Ryzen 3, even then those are way probably better in cache setup, frequency and IPC, they just have less cores.

Regarding ram, 16gb is pretty standard now plus GPU VRAM. DDR4 Ram is still way better for CPU related tasks than consoles GDDR5 memory.

I'm talking about a mid to low range PC configuration that would have two components that even on consoles release they were way better than what consoles has and see two very affordable components.

So even with relatively similar GPU, a mid range gaming PC still has better specs than consoles. You can lower graphical settings and be done but if your game is heavy on memory latency or CPU, down porting seems pretty hard...

But yeah, I agree PC lead is the way to go, that's what Capcom do these days afaik

angry u mad GIF by Mayfly

qtb0DNp.gif

Gave your gif a more accurate resolution to match this producers game.

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh

Gojiira

No it wouldn’t. We need Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and Valve.

It’s why console war and fanboyism is fucking stupid. You’re defending major companies and wanting them to profit and control.

Competition is good.
‘wanting them to profit and CONTROL’
‘WE NEED
MICROSOFT’

Come on now my man, we dont need Microsoft, they literally want to be the only one, literally want to win and control a market they have zero business controlling.

Hudo

If there really had to be a convergence toward one central platform for games, it should be the PC. But let's hope that it doesn't come to that. As retarded as console wars, and more specifically console warriors, are (even just on GAF), it's better for everyone if there are choices for consumers.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There really is only one combo worth gaming with and that's PC + Nintendo.

PCs can always be upgraded or just be custom built and have huge backwards compatibility options not to mention 90% of all games come to PC anyway. Not to mention mod support on several games. Consoles largely do not. Nintendo is worth it for their few but quality IP franchises with great gameplay.

Yoshi P really does keep spouting nonsense these days. Wish he would just focus on FFXIV and fixing it's glaring issues instead of breathing rhetoric.

Hudo

‘wanting them to profit and CONTROL’
‘WE NEED
MICROSOFT’

Come on now my man, we dont need Microsoft, they literally want to be the only one, literally want to win and control a market they have zero business controlling.
You think that Sony and Nintendo don't want to be "the one"? lmao. None of the big three is interested in sharing the market. It's just that Microsoft has the biggest pockets, which is the real reason why Sony is bitching, because Microsoft can out-sony Sony with deals (like Sony did back then to Sega and Nintendo... and Nintendo did back then to the competition in the NES and SNES days).

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah right. I’m sure he’d love it if the platform holder could take 90% fees instead of the current 30% just because they’re the only option available. And I’m sure players would love to pay >$100 per game just because there’s no alternatives.

Sounds wonderful.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

There really is only one combo worth gaming with and that's PC + Nintendo.

PCs can always be upgraded or just be custom built and have huge backwards compatibility options not to mention 90% of all games come to PC anyway. Not to mention mod support on several games. Consoles largely do not. Nintendo is worth it for their few but quality IP franchises with great gameplay.

Yoshi P really does keep spouting nonsense these days. Wish he would just focus on FFXIV and fixing it's glaring issues instead of breathing rhetoric.
There's only one problem with your theory. Japan exists. Switch covers one sector for the Japanese gaming market.

Whereas PC market is non existent (relatively) in Japan. Instead, Playstation fills the "high end" gaming sector in Japan, not PC.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There's only one problem with your theory. Japan exists. Switch covers one sector for the Japanese gaming market.

Whereas PC market is non existent (relatively) in Japan. Instead, Playstation fills the "high end" gaming sector in Japan, not PC.

Holammer

Anyone saying this is good for competition isn't wrong, but from a developer perspective it's horrible. You have to develop and maintain multiple versions of the game on different platforms and operating systems. It eats into resources and you lose tons of potential customers by not serving all of them.

To solution is obvious, develop for PC and cultivate your audience there. It worked for fighting games and it's no longer weird or have any stigma attached to play there.

Astral Dog

Not really. You would still compete as a 3rd party to make sure you release the best games and make people spend money on your product, not the competitor’s.

Right now platform holders do not offer any meaningful hardware advantage.

Xbox “power of the cloud” = lies
PlayStation “SSD magic” = lies

So what happened is you are left with them moneyhatting different games. You as a customer have no say.
This is one way to look at things, the other, there are countless games that would NOT have been created at all if not for the console ecosystem and business model, more consoles=more games,bigger audiences,more variety

And its not true,Switch has the 'advantage'/appeal of being portable,Wii/DS attracted a different audience(they did not stay,but made tons of money at the time)PlayStation changed people's perception of videogames

A single system future sounds like an utopia for cheap gamers, but in reality it would not work out for the advantage of all publishers and players,besides who is gonna create and manage this neutral environment?Sony?Microsoft?

Last edited:

Damigos

Anyone saying this is good for competition isn't wrong, but from a developer perspective it's horrible. You have to develop and maintain multiple versions of the game on different platforms and operating systems. It eats into resources and you lose tons of potential customers by not serving all of them.

To solution is obvious, develop for PC and cultivate your audience there. It worked for fighting games and it's no longer weird or have any stigma attached to play there.
God, no PC. Cant hear anymore about the master race etc. Developing for 2 consoles with almost the same specs cant be that extreme though

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Anything with a monopoly is inherently bad for business. For both devs and consumers. You'll have to submit to that platform's rules, restrictions and prices. Yoshi P is only thinking short term instead of long term.

Without competition without the ability to barter you have no power and must conform to that monopolies demands.

Edellus

I don't understand the "drama" people are getting out of this comment.

I see his point through a game's developer point of view. Not one of PR, shareholder, or hardware manufactorer, etc.

I imagine that if you are making a game and you want the most amount of people to experience it, the ideal scenario is to have the least amount of resistance to make that happen. Resistance like having to deal with multiple companies, optmizing for different APIs, different hardware limitations, certifications, etc. Some of those are limitations that must bleed into the designing process of a videogame early on. It must be annoying having so much ambition and cool ideas, but having to cut them short many times, because of those limitations that eat away budget and time, complicating things even further, because they don't work alone and have to answer to other people with other priorities within their companies and probably even outside (contracts and whatnot).

It's just wishful thinking of someone who makes games. Nothing more. He's not out to eliminate your favourite gaming platform...

Gambit2483

I didn't say it's dead. But its not replacing Playstation sales anytime soon

Fbh

I can imagine devs would be happy to just work on one version. FFXVI runs like crap on Ps5, I can only imagine how much worse it would be if they also had to simultaneously make an XBOX and PC version.
But competition is nice, it drives companies like Sony, MS and Nintendo to invest more in games and keep the quality high. Also the only "one platform" that would sort of make sense is PC since it's an open platform, if a closed ecosystem like a console had the monopoly on games it would allow for the owner to be as anti consumer as they want.

ZoukGalaxy

Absolutely not. Stop the drug.

dave chappelle drugs GIF

It's only "best" for devs, that"s it, and I'm not even sure on the long term, because we would probably get a cheap mass product for the "only" brand at the end like a Wii since that would be that or nothing, and corporate does give a shit about players, that's the profit in the end.

That's the best way to kill video-games and any innovation, by erasing any form of competition and unifying everything.

Last edited:

Woopah

Square develops almost exclusively for Sony and still manage to make mediocre games and complain like a bitch.

Can't wait for Sony to finally buy them for pennies on the dollar.
This is not even close to being true. PS exclusives are a small minority of SE's titles.

Literally PC if Sony didn’t hate their exclusive and third party exclusives to their platform only. Why tf can’t FF16 drop on PC day one?

Celine

The good news for Yoshi-P is that his compatriots' purchasing habits are trending toward a single console platform future in Japan.
The not so good news is that it isn't the platform for which he helmed the development of his latest big budget project and that without the competition between multiple platform holders Sony would have never paid a big sum of money to the company he works for to secure the temporary exclusivity to PS5 (same for Forsaken and Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade).

GJw3fgk.jpg

Not really. You would still compete as a 3rd party to make sure you release the best games and make people spend money on your product, not the competitor’s.

So what happened is you are left with them moneyhatting different games. You as a customer have no say.

PC "power" = lies

StereoVsn

No, what happens is that platforms try to at least innovate a bit, have to compete on prices, and can't get away with ripping off players too much.

If there was a single platform they would have complete pricing control. There would be 0 need to do anything but keep prices high and rip off their customers for smallest changes.

Top Bottom