• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Review Embargo is February 22nd (a week before release)

Go_Ly_Dow

Pre-release info:
-Download size is about 150gb
-Trophies list is out (discuss in a separate spoiler thread)
-20min State of Play next week on Tues, with a demo expected to drop after
-Review copies are out in the wild
-Previews coming this month
-Review embargo is 6AM PT / 9AM ET / 2PM GMT

Considering so much info may be coming before the game is in the vast majority of peoples hands, then I guess someone can make a spoiler thread soon to discuss certain info.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Skipping the SoP and demo, not reading/watching the previews, not looking at the trophies list and the reviews.

season 7 episode 25 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

DJ12

Does this conclude the 3 disc original, or is there another part coming, I've forgot.

Still bodes well not having the reviews drop the day of release.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Bruh…a week before release. This shit is about to be a 95, isn’t it?

Edit - (probably a 87-89 with the outlets that always purposely have to be rebels scoring it a 55-60 just for clicks).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Get ready for the Persona nerds to start complaining that the side quest suck, not turn based, and not enough RPG mechanics.
????whats that has to do with Persona? Also dont we usually hear those complain from old FF fans?

Sleepwalker

Again we usually hear this from old FF fans who keep saying “this is not my Final Fantasy”…..I don’t know how Persona has anything to do with this.
Wasnt a dig at persona fans, more about the general complaints, we saw it with XVI too.

Altho I don't have a care in the world for Persona and its fans lol. Im just tired of the same old complaints.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wasnt a dig at persona fans, more about the general complaints, we saw it with XVI too.

Altho I don't have a care in the world for Persona and its fans lol. Im just tired of the same old complaints.
I personally enjoy both old and new style JRPG in fact this variety is the reason why I’m in to JRPG in the first place.

Both Granblue Fantasy Relink and Persona 3 Reload are very different from each and I’m enjoying both.

I enjoyed FF7R quite a bit, but damn were there so many things to critique. Rebirth seems to fix pretty much all of them. Should be very good. 92 metacritic guess

Doom85

I mean, referring back to proandrad’s comment: XVI’s RPG elements are barely utilized, that shouldn’t be up for debate. Leveling barely matters for your stats, you have “party members” but they have no stats, you can only have one type of weapon, weapon upgrades offer slight stat increases that also barely matter, exploration off the path “rewards” you with either essentially pennies or crafting material you have way more than ever needed, there’s no elemental weaknesses/resistances, etc.

None of the above was an issue with Final Fantasy VII Remake. Leveling does make a difference, party members have stats and are very customizable, you can switch party members to enjoy different weapon types, upgrading your weapon does make a difference, there’s some good rewards to be found by exploring and doing side content, elemental weaknesses/resistances are present, etc.

Ain’t no way we’re going to be hearing about a lack of RPG mechanics for VII Rebirth outside of a few people just saying random shit for the hell of it.

As for VII Remake being an action RPG and not turn based, I rarely hear that brought up as an issue anymore since it came out, I think the haters mostly moved on. And for XVI, I really didn’t hear the complaint of it not being turn based anywhere as much as people generalizing all those who didn’t like XVI with a ”oh, you’re just mad it wasn’t turn based!” which I think is unfair and isn’t helpful when we’re trying to discuss XVI’s shortcomings.

Really, the main thing about XVI and turn based: the issue isn’t it being not turn based, that’s fine, but the reasoning was stupid. Yoshi-P claimed turn based games don’t sell……and then a few months later Baldur’s Gate 3 sold insanely well, and also Honkai Star Rail was outperforming Genshin Impact in profit (and mind you, Genshin was easily the highest grossing gacha game prior to Star Rail’s release). Like, it’s okay to make an action RPG, but don’t be saying stupid shit about turn based games that reality will quickly disprove.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The last one was really bad in terms of core and level design, I coudn't even force myself to play it after Chapter 6 cuz of terrible and simple af level design with huge and boring corridors, empty streets, box-like empty rooms with repetitive parts and design, elevators and other shit. And the worts part about it is that even a single model of Cloud or Tifa looks better than pretty much anything else in the game.

Hopefully this one will be better visually, tech-wise and I can already tell that it somewhat is based on various videos. Will try and play the demo for sure. Fingers crossed🤞:messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

TheAssist

You can think about Square and FF what you want, but we have screamed for like 15 years about the death of video game demos and I dont know anyone else who puts his big AAA games weeks out before launch for the general public to play and lifts review embargo a week before hand.
They took 4 years to build what seems to be a big and ambitious open world (which is really fast considering current industry standard for these things), seemd to have a smooth production, cool marketing and now that.

Bkdk

The game is pretty long so reviewers should get their hands onto this game the around coming Friday.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I love it when companies do this. It's such a huge dick slapped on the table kinda move - and rarely ends up with a bad game.

Top Bottom