• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

I miss the Sky Pirates Den by the way, talking about removal :-(

Wait. WAIT. What?
I still thought this menu option would unlock at some point :(
And they could have used it as a template for the Trophy list but that's not the case apparently (I haven't looked at the hidden Trophies though). Man, what a bummer. I spent dozens of hours completing that thing on the PS2 and I absolutely loved it.

aravuus

Gil Snapper and Demon Wall have been impossible for me to beat. I may just give up.

Demon Wall is definitely the first real wall (har har) you'll run into in the game. It's hard for everyone, so don't feel too down if you're having a hard time. Unfortunately I don't really have any good tactics to share, can't remember any right now and I'm not to the Demon Wall myself yet.

Hunts are also a ton of fun (probably the funnest stuff in the game in fact), but if one of them is smashing you, just progress the story a bit and return to it later. Don't push yourself to kill them as soon as they open.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Wait, they seriously removed the Sky Pirates Den?

What the fuck?

Bladenic

What in the wide world of fuck would compel the removal of Sky Pirate's Den??? I loved seeing and filling the place up with cute chibi versions of the characters p

Wait. WAIT. What?
I still thought this menu option would unlock at some point :(
And they could have used it as a template for the Trophy list but that's not the case apparently (I haven't looked at the hidden Trophies though). Man, what a bummer. I spent dozens of hours completing that thing on the PS2 and I absolutely loved it.

I was waiting for it to unlock too, but after getting most of the trophies I gave up hope.
Then the Polygon review confirmed my assumptions. They should patch it back in!

_Ryo_

Demon Wall is definitely the first real wall (har har) you'll run into in the game. It's hard for everyone, so don't feel too down if you're having a hard time. Unfortunately I don't really have any good tactics to share, can't remember any right now and I'm not to the Demon Wall myself yet.

Hunts are also a ton of fun (probably the funnest stuff in the game in fact), but if one of them is smashing you, just progress the story a bit and return to it later. Don't push yourself to kill them as soon as they open.

Yeah, I know. Demon Wall is hard for everyone and I've read I should wait until much later in the game to beat it. But the thing with the hunts is I've read I need to complete them ASAP in order to not miss any side quests or optional items or anything and I'm already bummed because I sold an item earlier on that was pretty important to a side quests and I missed out on some awesome stuff.

They WHAT!?

Between this and the menu idle cutscene, somebody needs to get a firm but polite slap.
I can understand cutting out the menu cutscene. Would be a chore to edit it back together with HD cutscenes and gameplay.

But boy, the Sky Pirates Den exclusion hurts me to the core.

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah, I know. Demon Wall is hard for everyone and I've read I should wait until much later in the game to beat it. But the thing with the hunts is I've read I need to complete them ASAP in order to not miss any side quests or optional items or anything and I'm already bummed because I sold an item earlier on that was pretty important to a side quests and I missed out on some awesome stuff.

Untrue

Joqu

They removed the Sky Pirate's Den? WTF.

I'm also hearing the bestiary is downgraded now. Anyone got a comparison?

Tiamant

Aww... the skeleton bridge no longer spams skeletons endlessly. You get a 35-40 enemies and then you must go 2 areas away for them to respawn. I only did it 4 times with x4 speed and managed to get like 20000 gil but still is a bummer.

Keym

The trophies do use the same titles/requirements, and the artwork for each corresponds to the sprite you'd have gotten in the original game.
See? Exactly the same thing. Enjoy your trophies, everyone!
It still makes no sense why they did it

MogCakes

Aww... the skeleton bridge no longer spams skeletons endlessly. You get a 35-40 enemies and then you must go 2 areas away for them to respawn. I only did it 4 times with x4 speed and managed to get like 20000 gil but still is a bummer.
Ha. They want to cut out opportunities for afk leveling. Won't stop the most determined among players

jimmypython

There is a small flashing icon in the top left corner of the screen when the game auto saves. It happens after every area transition or cut-scene. You don't see the file when you save, but it's at the top when you load a game.

WTF?? Why???

There are rotatable in game models now, instead of the illustrations.

are all the unlockable lore texts still there?

Isotropy

XII never had illustrations in its bestiary!

All it had were blurry, low-res screenshots of the model, cut out and laid over the brown backdrop.

Having the actual models is a big upgrade.

Edit: Aww, hope the den gets patched back in :(

aravuus

Yeah, like Vashetti said earlier, I'm like 99% sure that's not true. The game has hardly anything missable as far as I know, though I admit I've never even tried to 100% it, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MogCakes

The game is challenging if you don't stop to grind exp or money. Or if you decide to challenge an entite before level 50. Huehuehuehue

There's not much to it - instead of one big license board with everything on it, you've got a bunch of specialized ones with skill and equipsets similar to classic FF jobs. There's also higher ranks of everything, and new ultimate weapons for every job board.

In the end, your characters are more specialized but ultimately stronger.

Well, I was never worried about Strength, I just don't like choosing lol

'Working from home' today and it's already looking like s very slow day so I'm going to go grab my copy in an hour.

Super excited but wondering if it will hold up. I only played it once when it first came out. 3/4 through the game I was ready to call it my favorite FF. I remember really hating where the story went at the end but I also don't remember the experience well after all this time.

mieumieu

XII never had illustrations in its bestiary!

All it had were blurry, low-res screenshots of the model, cut out and laid over the brown backdrop.

Having the actual models is a big upgrade.

Edit: Aww, hope the den gets patched back in :(

You will get the den in the
Switch port

Bolivar687

Banned

144532szxcm70eddx7fd06.gif

Link_enfant

This will be my very first time with this game tonight, got the steelbook edition which looks really great.
Any tips or things I should know to be prepared and enjoy the game in the best way possible?

Also, how good is the English dub? I like having the choice but I'm always hesitating between language options!

aravuus

Interesting that Shikari's Ninja Swords are all behind Quickenings when, for example, Knight's Quickenings are all lone licenses that don't work as "bridges" to other licenses.

I should probably not pick any of those? Just in case their second job's LB has Quickening licenses that would work as bridges.

Stuart444

Been playing this slowly since Saturday (got it on Friday but was too ill to play :( ) and currently at
The place that reminds me of the big shell from MGS2, forget the name of it but I have all party members on me.
. I'm enjoying it more than I did originally and further in the game than I got originally but it does feel tough, I have died plenty of times on bosses.

4x speed mode is awesome though. I can just set up my gambits and run around killing shit quickly though.

One of the thing that irks me though is traps that the AI just fucking love to run into. (
like treasure chests with glowing red traps or the lasers from that one place not too long ago when we rescued Asche
) - I mean I know I could just take people out of the party temp so no one hits the traps but I shouldn't have to since the game was made with the AI in mind I'd have thought.

Still as someone who hated it back on PS2, I am enjoying it more. Especially the Audio quality (normally something I don't mind but the PS2 Audio Quality was shit) and visual enhancements. Plus Jobs.

My plan is to use all the jobs once because why not. (I read that dual jobs is new to this edition only)

Top Bottom