• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox will Require Game Pass Core or Ultimate Subscription in Addition to the Game's Own Subscription

Seems weird as PS Plus is not a requirement to play FFXIV on PS4/PS5..
The Free Trial version, including the open beta test, will not require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play. However, the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play.
Xtq62dh.png

Gaming news sites are picking up on the story:

Does Final Fantasy XIV need Game Pass on Xbox Series X/S?​

Yes, Final Fantasy XIV will require an Xbox Game Pass Core or Ultimate subscription on Xbox Series X/S. This comes courtesy of the official Final Fantasy XIV website, which explains the paid structure for the game after it leaves beta.

“The Free Trial version, including the open beta test, will not require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play. However, the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play.”

It should be clarified that this means you need an Xbox Game Pass Core or Ultimate sub to be able to play Final Fantasy XIV along with a separate paid subscription to the game, not that it will be free to subscribers.

This is a surprising choice, as PlayStation Plus isn’t required for the PlayStation versions of the game. Those wishing to visit Eorzea for the first time on Xbox Series X/S will have to double-dip on spending for the game.

This is worse. Existing players can't play the beta.

Existing FINAL FANTASY XIV Players​

Players who already have the Free Trial version for a different platform or a FINAL FANTASY XIV license registered to their Square Enix account will be unable to participate in the open beta test. We ask any players, who wish to play FINAL FANTASY XIV on Xbox with an existing Square Enix account and its associated characters, to please wait until the full Xbox launch after the open beta test concludes.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Does it actually say that?

"the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play"

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Even if you buy it, or meaning that if you get it on GamePass?

Mowcno

Even if you buy it, or meaning that if you get it on GamePass?
If you buy it you need the sub. The free trial is classed as F2P so like other F2P games on Xbox no sub is required. However once you purchase the game you then need gamepass to play it. It is the standard procedure but it is weird that you don't need PS+ but you will need GP.

Sony seemingly waived the PS+ requirement for FFXIV but MS has not done the same.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I know this is besides the point bit the amount of people on xbox without core or ultimate must be zero.

Such a rip off. You have to buy the game and expansions, a subscription to the platform online service and then a monthly subscription to the game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If you buy it you need the sub. The free trial is classed as F2P so like other F2P games on Xbox no sub is required. However once you purchase the game you then need gamepass to play it. It is the standard procedure but it is weird that you don't need PS+ but you will need GP.

Sony seemingly waived the PS+ requirement for FFXIV but MS has not done the same.
Oh, well, not in target audience luckily. It feels archaic to have it like that, if they aren't offering some extra stuff over general GaaS (I have done zero research)

ManaByte

Gold Member

Players who already have the Free Trial version for a different platform or a FINAL FANTASY XIV license registered to their Square Enix account will be unable to participate in the open beta test. We ask any players, who wish to play FINAL FANTASY XIV on Xbox with an existing Square Enix account and its associated characters, to please wait until the full Xbox launch after the open beta test concludes.

Zheph

Wasn't it one of the requirements (+ crossplay) from SE? I guess they got a fat wallet to just do it anyway... seems DOA on that platform tho

TheTony316

This is DOA on Xbox. I'm an active player and was able to play the beta on PS5.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I know this is besides the point bit the amount of people on xbox without core or ultimate must be zero.
It isn't though. Why create such negative drama when the number of people who would be impacted by this is so low? It is a phenomenally dumb move.

Belthazar

I don't think so. The last known number was ~46 million, with there being more than 100 million monthly users on the Xbox ecosystem. You do the math.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I don't think so. The last known number was ~46 million, with there being more than 100 million monthly users on the Xbox ecosystem. You do the math.

Theres not 100 million people playing on xbox. not even close.

Do the Math.

Nope. I’m subbed maybe 2 months out of the year on average, at most. Really only to try out a big new game so I don’t have to buy it.

Astray

Gold Member
Where's that video of that guy who squealed in delight when Phil came on stage with Yoshi-P? Looks moronic in light of this tbh.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
and visions of mana is not coming to gamepass as well.

i thought last year SE new CEO is very buddy buddy with Microsoft, what happen now?

clarky

Gold Member
I don't have either. I quit subbing to them during the 360 era. That $1 deals were as far as I ever took Gamepass.
Gamepass core is just the old Gold. If your an xbox owner, and own nothing else, which this release of FFIV is aimed at then you'd surely have at least core.

DryvBy

Gamepass core is just the old Gold. If your an xbox owner, and own nothing else, which this release of FFIV is aimed at then you'd surely have at least core.

I have nothing. I bumped down to silver over a decade ago. I don't play enough multiplayer games on there to care.

clarky

Gold Member
I mean, those were the numbers Microsoft provided.
That includes anyone in there eco system. Minecraft, anyone on steam, PC gamepass, streaming etc etc. If you even fart in Microsofts general direction they count you as a MAU.

clarky

Gold Member
I have nothing. I bumped down to silver over a decade ago. I don't play enough multiplayer games on there to care.
Exactly im guessing you game mostly on other platforms like most sensible people.

I said if you own nothing else. Its a non issue for 99% of us.

If you don't sub to Core(gold) or Ultimate, then what are you using it for? Genuine question.
What am I using what for? Are you asking me why I own an Xbox?

Because I really wanted one, so I bought it. I use it allllll the time, and my library has hundreds of games. Just because it's not something you understand, doesn't mean it's like this weird/outrageous thing. You seem to think the only value in owning an Xbox is in having a premium subscription, and I'm telling you you're wrong. Plain and simple

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Why does Phil think game pass is the most important thing for MS when all it seems to be doing is killing MS?
This is DUMB lol.

Top Bottom