• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI official screenshots + Blog Post

Are you talking about PC or Xbox. It's been way past a year for FFVIIR with no word of an Xbox release.
PC, but is Xbox really missing out? It's only a good game to some (I liked it) but a lot were left disappointed. More of a "remake" than anticipated and all that.

Ryu Kaiba

The game looks great but some of the character models/animations looked better in 7 Remake. Not bothered by it though, and it may improve a lot before it releases like 7 did.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-16-combat-summons-party-members-details

"We didn't want to overwhelm users in our newest trailer, so we focused solely on Clive's battles. That said, for most of his journey, Clive will be accompanied by one or more companions. These companions will participate in battle, as well as trade banter with Clive. That said, the party members will be AI-driven so as to allow players to focus solely on controlling Clive," Yoshida explains.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Media Interviews are going live:
Square Enix has their own to go with it: https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-xvi-interview

the dark knight joker GIF by hero0fwar

Kumomeme

here is gamespot interview

some of interesting stuff from the interview:
Currently, there are no plans to create anything, for example, like a lore book like we had in Final Fantasy XIV. So, the development team is currently working really hard to make the final release of the game a complete experience so that no other tertiary content will be required to enjoy or understand it.
so no need to worry that it will be similliar case like FFXV where player need to watch additional content like movie and anime to understand the story.

And so, how the story and the narrative progresses is that we follow the life of Clive Rossville through three different stages: his teens, his 20s, and his 30s.
this is interesting. i assume they never show 30s design of Clive yet.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
So, not a Final Fantasy game.

Dragon's Dogma 2 will EAT this game for breakfast.
Your issues with this game makes absolutely zero sense. You don’t like Final Fantasy 16 because you perceive it as a game chasing the mainstream and catering to western gamers, yet that is literally what Dragon’s Dogma was. You don’t like AI companions for 16 and yet that is inherent to the design of Dragon’s Dogma parties. The combat designer for 16 is literally the dude responsible for making Dragon’s Dogma what it was. Yoshi-p literally hired one of the best combat designers in the industry to work on his game.

YukiOnna

Summary of various information so far (I will update as I read more):
- FFXVI is an area/zone based world taking inspiration from AAA open world RPG's
- They wanted to avoid a single open world space to deliver a story that spans the entire globe and beyond and increase the feel of scale
- Players will only control Clive, but AI party members will accompany him through most of the story
- Clive will have a ton of customization options to his builds and all preferences will depend on the different preferences and playstyle of the player
- DMC/DD's Ryota Suzuki has been integral to the combat as CBU3 had no experience with action games
- Each Eikon/Summon battle is unique and never the same in playstyle
- One Eikon battle may be like a 3D shooter, another a wrestling match, another the entire area is the battlefield.
- The UI changes for each battle
- FF16's summon combat is action-oriented will have real time swapping, chaining of abilities, etc.
- Sometimes you will control an Eikon in real time vs other Eikons and be somewhat fluid with real time changes
- Some Eikons will fight Clive as enemies, some will be friends.
- FFXVI is NOT a FF theme park like FF14, but it will feature easter eggs
- FFXVI will feature an expansive storyline, cutscenes, real time battles, gargantuan Eikon clashes all seamlessly connected like an epic motion picture
- CBU3 and Yoshi-P love classic Fantasy setting so they chose that
- Their research also told them players find the settings of FF games in recent times are getting too static
- They want to take it as far as they can with the action based battle system and expand the scope for developers of future mainline FF's
- Eikons are similar to weapons of mass destruction in the real world
- FFXVI's main story focuses on the Dominants and their Eikon
- the Aether provided by the Mothercrystal begins to fade and the nations of Valisthea wage war to seize their rivals crystals they resort to using the Dominants
- More information on the world and storyline this Fall

Update:
- FFXVI will be a complete game and any extra material they have won't be required reading or viewing
- There will be side quests, in-game compendiums and other text to help understand the state of the world and lore in-game rather than external media
- Clive will be able to unlock that Eikon’s abilities through an ability tree
- Clive will earn points during regular battles and can use those points to further unlock abilities
- You can refund said points and try different paths to experiment to suit your personal style and build
- Eikon battles go through a lot of changes/phases (for ex the Titan battle) and it all changes real-time
- There will be different types of battles: Eikon vs Eikon, Human Clive vs Eikon, Clive regular battles, mini bosses, major bosses, etc
- Clive's journey will feature his teens, 20s, and 30s
- Kingdom Hearts team is also helping with the combat and boss battles
- Party members will banter and have their own character arcs and major roles in the story
- FFXVI's story is also about a clash of ideals

Last edited:

jimmypython

- FFXVI is an area/zone based world taking inspiration from AAA open world RPG's
- They wanted to avoid a single open world space to deliver a story that spans the entire globe and beyond and increase the feel of scale
- Players will only control Clive, but AI party members will accompany him through most of the story
- Clive will have a ton of customization options to his builds and all preferences will depend on the different preferences and playstyle of the player
- DMC/DD's Ryota Suzuki has been integral to the combat as CBU3 had no experience with action games
- One Eikon battle may be like a 3D shooter, another a wrestling match, another the entire area is the battlefield.
- FF16's summon combat is action-oriented will have real time swapping, chaining of abilities, etc.
- Sometimes you will control an Eikon in real time vs other Eikons and be somewhat fluid with real time changes
- FFXVI will feature an expansive storyline, cutscenes, real time battles, gargantuan Eikon clashes all seamlessly connected like an epic motion picture
- Their research also told them players find the settings of FF games in recent times are getting too static
- They want to take it as far as they can with the action based battle system and expand the scope for developers of future mainline FF's
- the Aether provided by the Mothercrystal begins to fade and the nations of Valisthea wage war to seize their rivals crystals they resort to using the Dominants

Thanks for this.

I really hope there will be a gambit system for the party AIs....let me program healer, tank and DPS!!

Last edited:

Kumomeme

another interview from press-start

After claiming an Eikon’s power Clive will be able to unlock that Eikon’s abilities in what we can call an ‘ability tree’. And then Clive will earn points during regular battles and can use those points to further unlock abilities within that tree.
ability tree = skill tree confirmed?
We want players to be able to use this system to customise their character to their own play style, to use these points to purchase abilities that they want to use or power up the abilities that they really enjoy using. That said, we also want players to be able to decide on something that really fits them and so, rather than having those those point decisions be final, we’re going to allow players the opportunity to refund those points at any time and as many times as they want so they can experiment with different builds until they come to one that suits their playstyle best without having to worry about starting over
there will be multiple custom build available according to player style

Elysion

Banned
While it’s good to get confirmation that the game will indeed have party members, I don’t like that we (once again) can only control the main protagonist. I really hope this isn’t going to be the new standard for FF going forward…

mortal

Gold Member
These points sound very intriguing imo. I'm glad they're going all in with the different approach in gameplay, while having the art direction rooted in classic Final Fantasy

Last edited:

Danjin44

While it’s good to get confirmation that the game will indeed have party members, I don’t like that we (once again) can only control the main protagonist. I really hope this isn’t going to be the new standard for FF going forward
We still going able control party members in FFVIIRiberth.

Meicyn

Gold Member
But no, they MUST appeal to casuals that can't bother reading text
Yeah, you aren’t familiar with Creative Business Unit 3 at all. Final Fantasy 14 is notoriously text heavy, to the point that there are players that complain about it.

Yoshi-p has not compromised on the importance of proper storytelling, at all. I fully expect no compromises in 16 either, the guy grew up playing the same games we all did. His first RPG was Dragon Quest. He still actively plays a lot of games.

That's exactly the OPPOSITE of what Dragon's Dogma was. Much like Dark Souls 1, it was anything BUT aimed at the casual mainstream market.

I don't like AI companions in FINAL FANTASY. Never said that I dislike AI companions in general. Dragon Quest and Persona has these.

Read my previous answer above
lmao

Dragon’s Dogma is a casual friendly button-mashy arcady western inspired action RPG with western inspired visuals, western RPG monsters, and western inspired music, right down to hiring Inon Zur, a very popular western RPG composer. The sole exception being the corny (awesome) Japanese buttrock that played in the original opening, which by the way, they REMOVED for Dark Arisen due to the western audience’s negative reception to it (a huge mistake). Capcom was chasing after the western audience during that era, as were many Japanese developers. This is why we had games like Lost Planet coming out of Capcom in that era. They were literally chasing after western markets.

As for the rest, your issue is basically “I would normally be fine with this game, but the words Final Fantasy are on the cover, so I’m mad.” Cool.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

These points sound very intriguing imo. I'm glad they're going all in with the different approach in gameplay, while having the art direction rooted in classic Final Fantasy
It's cool to hear how your degree of control isn't limited to just an ability spam and they just tap out.
While it’s good to get confirmation that the game will indeed have party members, I don’t like that we (once again) can only control the main protagonist. I really hope this isn’t going to be the new standard for FF going forward…
It won't. He even sort of emphasizes this is just what they went for for this FF and each FF is different.

Elysion

Banned
The real question is: will we be able to fly an airship? They say the game will span the whole globe, so there’s hope…

Kumomeme

here is quote from interview that Yoshida talk about the game not being an 'open world'

“We’ve found in our extensive user research that many of the younger generation of gamers have never played a Final Fantasy or don’t have any interest in the series. To create a game that might excite and resonate not only with our core fans, but also with that new generation, we played a lot of games ourselves, and so yes, in [Final Fantasy 16] you’ll find inspiration from recent triple-A open world RPGs,” Yoshida says.

“However, to bring a story that feels like it spans an entire globe and beyond, we decided to avoid an open world design that limits us to a single open world space, and instead focus on an independent area-based game design that can give players a better feel of a truly 'global' scale."

it will be not open world or atleast not like the kind of traditional open world we always known. IGN speculate that it will be similliar to Pokemon Legend Arceus. that game not has one big open world but instead separate big area instead like Monster Hunter. while at same time has element of inspiration from other AAA open world rpg.

YukiOnna

here is quote from interview that Yoshida talk about the game not being an 'open world'

it will be not open world or atleast not like the kind of traditional open world we always known. IGN speculate that it will be similliar to Pokemon Legend Arceus. that game not has one big open world but instead separate big area instead like Monster Hunter. while at same time has element of inspiration from other AAA open world rpg.
It will probably just be like their past titles on different scale: DQXI, FFXIV, certain KH3 worlds, FFXII.

Kumomeme

Game Informer interview:

While we just released our second trailer, we’re currently already working on readying a third trailer for release this fall. In that trailer, we hope to concentrate a little bit more on the world and the lore and the storyline, and hopefully bring a little bit more of that information to players, showing what the story is going to be like, what the narrative is going to be like, and how that’s going to fit into the world.
next trailer is at fall.

not sure if this information is true, but i share it here

another information i get from reddit which is from fans translation:

- development started in November 2015.
- there will be CGI cutscene in it made by Kingsglaive team(Image Studio?)
- next trailer in autumn
-Hiroshi Takai (Director), Kazutoyo Maehiro (Scenario), Mitsutosh Gondai (Game System) was the initial core developers from beginning and the work indeed start after Heavensward expansion launch
- the game is in 7 years of development but Yoshida said that it is not in full development for that period as in beginining there only few people involved with other complication play important role like timing for next gen console and covid 19 pandemic.

here is Yoshida talk about additional 'buddy' system aside of A.I party member. again, this is reddit fans translation so dont blame me if it wrong
Q: In battle, will there be some concept of a party?

Yoshida: They swap in and out according to the story, but AI-controlled companions do exist. In addition, there's a character referred to as your "Buddy" who is present in basically every battle. This "buddy" can be manually instructed to heal you or attack a designated enemy. Of course it's also possible to leave all that to the AI and play exclusively focusing on controlling your own character as well.
so we can give command to this 'buddy'?

edit: add few more information

Last edited:

gela94

Game Informer interview:

next trailer is at fall.

not sure if this information is true, but i share it here

another information i get from reddit which is from fans translation:

- development started in November 2015.
- there will be CGI cutscene in it made by Kingsglaive team(Image Studio?)
- next trailer in autumn
-Hiroshi Takai (Director), Kazutoyo Maehiro (Scenario), Mitsutosh Gondai (Game System) was the initial core developers from beginning and the work indeed start after Heavensward expansion launch
- the game is in 7 years of development but Yoshida said that it is not in full development for that period as in beginining there only few people involved with other complication play important role like timing for next gen console and covid 19 pandemic.

here is Yoshida talk about additional 'buddy' system aside of A.I party member. again, this is reddit fans translation so dont blame me if it wrong

so we can give command to this 'buddy'?

edit: add few more information

Eww there is nothing worse in a RPG than people coming in and out of your party depending om story . .. I really hate that and that buddy thing sounds like this boring pawn thing from dragons dogma.

Danjin44

peculate that it will be similliar to Pokemon Legend Arceus. that game not has one big open world but instead separate big area instead like Monster Hunter. while at same time has element of inspiration from other AAA open world rpg.
I would Imagine much more similar to Xenoblade or at least like Dragon Quest XI or Tales of Arise.

Big areas similar to this (but much more realistic visuals in XVI)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope this game is good, but it d9esnt sound like a final fantasy game to me. Saying that, the last real one I played to completion was FF X so I have no real gauge. I played about 12 hours of FF XIII and scrapped it.

FF VII remake was awesome imo so I'm down to try this but I dunno, it seems odd.

Kumomeme

there will be two mode:

- story focus mode
- action focus mode

the former for those who not good at action game and want to focus on story while the later is those is for who good at it. there will be mechanic that assist users that not good at action game like slow motion features.

there will be 4 big area with addition others tons of smaller one and the story will progress in linear.

there gonna be tons of side quest like monster hunt from bulletin board, exploring field, simple crafting

apparently Naoki Yoshida also aware of FFXV's critism lol

edit: added bit more information

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
there will be two mode:

- story focus mode
- action focus mode

the former for those who not good at action game and want to focus on story while the later is those is for who good at it. there will be mechanic that assist users that not good at action game like slow motion features.

there will be 4 big area with addition others tons of smaller one and the story will progress in linear.

there gonna be tons of side quest like monster hunt from bulletin board, exploring field, simple crafting

Nice, sounds like easy (automatic) mode in Bayonetta, give folks the option to steamroll or assist depending on the gamer, and some action combat challenge for the rest of us.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
As for the rest, your issue is basically “I would normally be fine with this game, but the words Final Fantasy are on the cover, so I’m mad.” Cool.

Well... I love Dark Souls, but I dont want to buy the next DEVIL MAY CRY and play a fake dark souls 4 instead , i want to play a real DMC game....... this FF sound absolutely nothing like a real FF , its a action game with FF slapped on it, BUT, its been like that since FF13 and even worst in XV, even FF7 remake is action oriented.... sooooo anyone expecting something different at this point is kidding themselves.... the trend is set, so its time to let the people that like this change to be happy and play the games .... my last FF was XV one of the worst games of ps4 generation IMO , been a fan all my life, now its time to play something else ... its life

Kumomeme

photomode confirmed

also itseems there will be a small portion where we will control other character and there will be remnant of advance civilization in the game.

YukiOnna

there will be two mode:

- story focus mode
- action focus mode

Glad someone is translating the JP interviews, there's a ton of good information. Especially about the development of the game.

photomode confirmed

also itseems there will be a small portion where we will control other character and there will be remnant of advance civilization in the game.

Yeah. They're probably called Allagan Empire or something.

Kumomeme

Glad someone is translating the JP interviews, there's a ton of good information. Especially about the development of the game.
it just translation is scattered all over the internet lol it is not easy to track everything. hopefully we will get full famitsu translation in one go.

Yeah. They're probably called Allagan Empire or something.
hahaha lmao

allagan.jpg

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

The art direction looks good but graphically - its pretty meh..? Looking at the grass and cart, it looks rather average (maybe late last gen).

YukiOnna

Nice:
When Yoshida took the reigns of FFXIV as Producer/Director, Kitase told him that FF is what the Director at the time thinks that this is the "best game".

"Final Fantasy is just a name stuck to a game that we made thinking "This is the best game", and if there is no need to be the successor, then there is no need to flatter the predecessor. If we make a game that we think is the best game, then that makes it "Final Fantasy" - Kitase.

Yoshida told Nomura that he wanted to add Limit Breaks in FFXIV, and Nomura told him; "You don't have to force yourself to match things, just do what you want to do". And with that, Yoshida decided to make the series' first "fan service" FF game, and made FFXIV with the "FF theme park" concept.

Source

Kev Kev

Only 4 large zones to explore (possibly smaller areas along the way) and it will be more like FF13 (very linear in between zones, is how I’m interpreting that). Not a great sign for me personally.

It’s really telling that 95% of that interview had to do with combat (again, very FF13). Seems quite clear with that we’ve seen and what they’ve said that this will mostly be a third person action game with some light adventure elements. Sorry but that sounds like DMC to me, not FF.

Hopefully I’m surprised but it’s sounding worse and worse every time I hear about it.

Last edited:

Update:
- FFXVI will be a complete game and any extra material they have won't be required reading or viewing
- There will be side quests, in-game compendiums and other text to help understand the state of the world and lore in-game rather than external media
- Clive will be able to unlock that Eikon’s abilities through an ability tree
- Clive will earn points during regular battles and can use those points to further unlock abilities
- You can refund said points and try different paths to experiment to suit your personal style and build
- Eikon battles go through a lot of changes/phases (for ex the Titan battle) and it all changes real-time
- There will be different types of battles: Eikon vs Eikon, Human Clive vs Eikon, Clive regular battles, mini bosses, major bosses, etc
- Clive's journey will feature his teens, 20s, and 30s
- Kingdom Hearts team is also helping with the combat and boss battles
- Party members will banter and have their own character arcs and major roles in the story
- FFXVI's story is also about a clash of ideals
They sure know what to say and it all sounds fantastic.

I like that it's an open zone type game, taking inspiration from Sonic Frontiers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom