• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI official screenshots + Blog Post

wvnative

okay that is pretty cool. I definitely enjoyed HW. Main thing that convinced me to stick around. Even with Stormblood being absolutely a snoozefest. Then everyone told me to stay for Shadowbreakers and glad I listened.

I'm playing through Stormblood right now and I don't even think I'm halfway through, but it has sapped all the energy I had coming off of Heavensward. I've actually stopped to take a break, doing palace of the dead right now.

Good to hear Shadowbringers is better, and, hopefully Endwalker.

manfestival

I'm playing through Stormblood right now and I don't even think I'm halfway through, but it has sapped all the energy I had coming off of Heavensward. I've actually stopped to take a break, doing palace of the dead right now.

Good to hear Shadowbringers is better, and, hopefully Endwalker.
Yeah I was pretty hype when I finished the last of the content in HW. I would say just keep pressing through but don't burn yourself out. Shadowbringers starts off a little slow but everyone was right. It is good and has some dark themes in it as well. Which for me is a plus.

Rexket

Neo Member
this is nonsense
If dumb ten year old me could clear the games then it really isn’t. The normal campaigns are easy to get through. Hitting a fire enemy with an ice spell doesn’t take a tactical mind. Or using the character ability that has no cost over the normal attack to clear the enemies. And bosses will be glad to spell out exactly what you need to do to beat them 9/10 times.

If more fight were like Yunalesca from X, that’s be one thing. But you can easily brute force your way through these games. You’ll find actually tactical gameplay in SMT, Divinity, and Pathfinder where the A.I can actually turn punish you for mistakes.

Kev Kev

If dumb ten year old me could clear the games then it really isn’t. The normal campaigns are easy to get through. Hitting a fire enemy with an ice spell doesn’t take a tactical mind. Or using the character ability that has no cost over the normal attack to clear the enemies. And bosses will be glad to spell out exactly what you need to do to beat them 9/10 times.

If more fight were like Yunalesca from X, that’s be one thing. But you can easily brute force your way through these games. You’ll find actually tactical gameplay in SMT, Divinity, and Pathfinder where the A.I can actually turn punish you for mistakes.
Many powerful bosses through out the series require strategy. However, FF7R had the least of this imo and I imagine 16 will follow suit.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

translation to one of interview done with Yoshida at 22 June before with Gamewatch. the information is more or less same with the Famitsu interview but this one has some of stuff that not been mentioned before and seems to be bit 'detailed'.

some of interesting stuff here:

• on this interview, the 10 to 15 years required is mean that if they want to incorporate everything that fans want and the game would end up outdated the moment it released. not sure if this is also what he mean on the Famitsu interview since that one talk about making open world game.
  • the story aimed at mature adult age between 30-40 but also at same time cater toward middle and high school teens so they can appreciate and relate more with the story later once they become adult in life.
  • Soken not alone handled the music. there will be other composers that would help arrange the music with him at helm. im guess some of guy on his team from FFXIV would involved. maybe guy like Yoshitaka Suzuki perhaps?
  • the battle director Ryota Suzuki is involved at every battle in the game but the game lead designer Kazutoyo Maehiro also has hand in it. most of final decision for systems in the game is decided by Hiroshi Takai and Maehiro.
  • Ryota Suzuki helped to improve their animator skill alot, thanks to knowledge he has from working with skilled animator from Capcom before.
  • it is not like younger audience nowdays 'doesnt understand' the command system combat, but it just they doesnt understand 'why' the need to have the command at first place since most of things nowdays performed directly at press of button thanks to advancement of technology. atleast this is what Yoshida found out when he spoke with younger gamers nowdays.

the interviewer teased about "that stuff" that probably would be talked later at autumn. dont know what that mean.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

translation to one of interview done with Yoshida at 22 June before with Gamewatch. the information is more or less same with the Famitsu interview but this one has some of stuff that not been mentioned before and seems to be bit 'detailed'.

some of interesting stuff here:

• on this interview, the 10 to 15 years required is mean that if they want to incorporate everything that fans want and the game would end up outdated the moment it released. not sure if this is also what he mean on the Famitsu interview since that one talk about making open world game.
  • the story aimed at mature adult age between 30-40 but also at same time cater toward middle and high school teens so they can appreciate and relate more with the story later once they become adult in life.
  • Soken not alone handled the music. there will be other composers that would help arrange the music with him at helm. im guess some of guy on his team from FFXIV would involved. im guessing guy like Yoshitaka Suzuki probably is involved.
  • the battle director Ryota Suzuki is involved at every battle in the game but the game lead designer Kazutoyo Maehiro also has hand in it. most of final decision for systems in the game is decided by Hiroshi Takai and Maehiro.
  • Ryota Suzuki helped to improve their animator skill alot, thanks to knowledge he has from working with skilled animator from Capcom before.
  • it is not like younger audience nowdays 'doesnt understand' the command system combat, but it just they doesnt understand 'why' the need to have the command at first place since most of things nowdays performed directly at press of button thanks to advancement of technology. atleast this is what Yoshida found out when he spoke with younger gamers nowdays.

the interviewer teased about "that stuff" that probably would be talked later at autumn. dont know what that mean.
TGS in 2.5 weeks and also possibility of a Playstation Showcase event in September.

wvnative

Stormblood made me nearly quit, then Shadowbringers became one of the best stories I've ever experienced in a video game, I need to start endwalker but I know when I start I wont stop and my lives busy atm
I just finished the game this weekend. Awesome game glad I pressed on. This was my experience as well. I didn't like endwalker a whole lot but it's better than stormblood and the final few quests were awesome. I feel like endwalker was overall at least partially impacted by covid 19

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm surprised this might be good.
Just feel a gentle confidence about this one compared to 13 and 15.

13 the engine was not good enough despite good graphics, they had a PS2 sized dev team and awful project planning, Toriyama as director (when he should only play a supporting role) and the PS3 was a nightmare for the Japanese developers.

15 rebooted project that moved console generations/engines. Had a better engine but was rushed and limited by the hardware and worked on in tandem with the game. The creative staff were replaced by new heads like Tabata who took out some of the best ideas, stripped the project into various media and the Lumnious team had no experience making a large scale FF game. Rushed to launch.

16, not rebooted, one self contained project, Yoshida and new FF14 team leading, the game was revealed 2 years ago with actual gameplay and has seemingly been playable from start to finish even last year. Has been given time to cook in the oven and seems to be going for an FF12 style world using modern tech, which is probably what's best for a narrative driven game.

Last edited:

fallingdove

This is Pete Hines level of bullshittery.

Let's make Chess and Poker "real-time" because younger audiences don't "get" why it needs to be turn-based.

On future news, younger audiences don't get why you need to pay only once to have a complete game.
Instead, they prefer to pay monthly subscription to get the game released in parts along with cosmetics and waifu-chasing events.
This is much more believable than Pete Hines bullshittery. Game probably cost SE $80M to $100M to make. You want the largest number of gamers to buy it. Young’ns don’t appreciate menu driven gameplay like they do flashy 3rd person action.

As an old timer, I don’t love this response but I understand.

Just feel a gentle confidence about this one compared to 13 and 15.

13 the engine was not good enough despite good graphics, they had a PS2 sized dev team and awful project planning, Toriyama as director (when he should only play a supporting role) and the PS3 was a nightmare for the Japanese developers.

15 rebooted project that moved console generations/engines. Had a better engine but was rushed and limited by the hardware and worked on in tandem with the game. The creative staff were replaced by new heads like Tabata who took out some of the best ideas, stripped the project into various media and the Lumnious team had no experience making a large scale FF game. Rushed to launch.

16, not rebooted, one self contained project, Yoshida and new FF14 team leading, the game was revealed 2 years ago with actual gameplay and has seemingly been playable from start to finish even last year. Has been given time to cook in the oven and seems to be going for an FF12 style world using modern tech, which is probably what's best for a narrative driven game.
I've seen plenty games with bad engines still punching above their weight. The issue with the last decade of Final Fantasy entries was not the engine but the planning being absolute crap and without planning you don't hit milestones.

They always had guys capable of pulling it off, it's just that they left cancer take over non-online Final Fantasy and then only got competent people in when these cancers have done a dogs meal out of their time and budget.

I mean they did The Last Remnant on UE3, in a time where the engine was inept for Japanese development and certainly not better than their own for RPG development. Ironically, the director was Hiroshi Takai, which is the director for FFXVI now. They struggled, it was hindered by how the game ran on the consoles, but damn it was better than any of the FFXIII with a fraction of the budget.

FFXVI looks amazing, every bit of what Final Fantasy should be if Nomura never touched it past FFVII.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It has some DMC4 vibes. I’m excited for it. I wonder how FFXV was for new and old fans and XVI is somehow for new fans? Is that the gist of it? I’d honestly buy XVI over XV and I’ve played the games since the 90’s.

I laugh because I grew up with Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta. Those games feel like they came out years ago. That isn’t exactly a new style either.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

This is Pete Hines level of bullshittery.

Let's make Chess and Poker "real-time" because younger audiences don't "get" why it needs to be turn-based.

On future news, younger audiences don't get why you need to pay only once to have a complete game.
Instead, they prefer to pay monthly subscription to get the game released in parts along with cosmetics and waifu-chasing events.
in the interview Yoshida mention they has no problem playing chess and other stuff.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Persona 5, Pokemon and DQ11 says otherwise

There's room for both realtime and turn-based (or hybrids) in the AAA space.
It's more about Squeenix not having faith in themselves anymore, and chasing any modern trends they can before the current ones are replaced for newer ones.
tbf, persona and DQ11 doesnt sell as much as pokemon, so the risk is still there.

Kumomeme

I've seen plenty games with bad engines still punching above their weight. The issue with the last decade of Final Fantasy entries was not the engine but the planning being absolute crap and without planning you don't hit milestones.

They always had guys capable of pulling it off, it's just that they left cancer take over non-online Final Fantasy and then only got competent people in when these cancers have done a dogs meal out of their time and budget.

I mean they did The Last Remnant on UE3, in a time where the engine was inept for Japanese development and certainly not better than their own for RPG development. Ironically, the director was Hiroshi Takai, which is the director for FFXVI now. They struggled, it was hindered by how the game ran on the consoles, but damn it was better than any of the FFXIII with a fraction of the budget.

FFXVI looks amazing, every bit of what Final Fantasy should be if Nomura never touched it past FFVII.
as i understand that time they researching into 3rd party engine particularly UE3 and The Last Remnant is the result of it. that time Yoshida and Takai is the group of people tasked for the purpose. another game is the cancelled bloodborne style action game.

Kumomeme

This is much more believable than Pete Hines bullshittery. Game probably cost SE $80M to $100M to make. You want the largest number of gamers to buy it. Young’ns don’t appreciate menu driven gameplay like they do flashy 3rd person action.

As an old timer, I don’t love this response but I understand.
basically this is what Yoshida said in the interview.
"The FF series is one of Square Enix’s most iconic IPs. The games require a high level of attention to graphical quality and volume of content, and cost an exorbitant amount of money to develop. In turn, they of course need to generate a considerable profit for the company.

If we were to only just break even, the scope of the series might be reduced going forward, or we could lose out on the chance to create another entry altogether. Therefore, we’ve had to be very mindful when it comes to numbers. This time, we’d once again like to attract players of all ages to our game, so out of consideration for the future, we thought it would be a good idea to make an FF that goes all-in with action elements. We therefore made the strategic decision to fully pivot to an action-oriented system."

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

It's more about Squeenix not having faith in themselves anymore, and chasing any modern trends they can before the current ones are replaced for newer ones.
If you want to play a game where your characters stand on one side, the enemies stand on the other side, and you sit there strategically picking “attack” from a menu until you win, there are plenty of games like that still.

Mainline FF already abandoned this style of battle system 20 years ago. That’s not what he’s talking about. That style of gameplay was never a possibility for FF XVI.

He’s talking about ditching the last vestiges of menu-based control of your character in favor of direct control. Which is not even particularly surprising if you paid any attention to the series post-FFX. It’s been moving in this direction since before these “young gamers” were even born.

I wish he didn’t choose these words. It just gave the boomer turn-based whiners more fuel for their persecution complex.

Brock2621

I’m hype level 80% for this. I’m trying to ignore it for 6 more months until release to temper my expectations while replaying FF7 FF8 & FFIX

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So, a hack 'n' slash? We should stop calling FF an RPG then
Or…. An action RPG? Yes, this is a thing, believe it or not. Is there some rule that it can’t be called an RPG unless it has menu driven combat?

Because Squeenix doesn't want to. It gave up and just like Sony, they decided to emphasize the west's preferences because it's more profitable.
Not because it "couldn't work".
And I'm not even asking for a turn-based game, it could be something like FF12 and it would still suffice (though people would probably complain about it looking to similar to the online counterpart)
Or maybe this is just legitimately what they wanted to create? Sure seems that way to me. They’ve been moving toward Advent Children-like stylized action for a long time.

And LOL at this somehow being about appeasing the westerners. As if turn-based/menu-driven combat were some eastern philosophy that the feeble-minded gaijin normies can’t wrap their heads around. Give me a break. I don’t see any evidence that western gamers are any more biased toward action-JRPGs than Japanese gamers are. Turn based games sell fine in the west. You named some of them.

I swear to god, I’ll be in a nursing home 40 years from now and there’ll be 80 year old gamers saying “FUCKING SQUARE ENIX, I can’t believe Final Fantasy XXV is practically an action game! I miss turnbase combat because it’s strategic! For SIXTY years I’ve been saying that all Square Enix has to do is make a big budget AAA mainline FF game with classic turn based combat! But they don’t listen!! They’re just chasing after the gaijin dudebro audience because they GAVE UP on what made FF great!”

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I’m trying to ignore it for 6 more months until release
Six more months until release?

laughing-gif-19.gif

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Western RPGs developers have embraced action sooner than japanese developers. Games like The Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 come to mind.
Japanese developers up to the PS3 gen were still being conservative and sticking to the roots. Because japanese always loved turn-based or something similar to that.
Absolute bullshit. Did you forget about Ys, Seiken Densetsu, Tales of, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Kingdom Hearts….. There have always been tons of Japanese action RPGs. Action and turn-based JRPGs have coexisted since the beginning and still do. And in fact I think the ratio of action to turn-based has been pretty stable for a very long time.

They didn’t just pop into existence in the PS3 era. That is a laughable bit of revisionist history that you fabricated to support your “we are persecuted and turn based is dying” delusion.

If the message becomes "turn-based is outdated, action is the natural evolution and the way to go" you can be sure that suits will embrace that in order to make more money.
You just named some recent commercially successful turn-based JRPGs (BTW you should probably add Octopath and Yakuza: Like a Dragon to that list) now you’re telling me they might get the wrong message? Man, make up your mind.

But changing a franchise's identity in order to profit more is not healthy for the industry.
That's what spin-offs are for, after all (e.g. Dirge of Cerberus, Stranger of Paradise, Dissidia)
What identity are you even talking about? Final Fantasy’s “identity” has constantly shifted and evolved since almost the very beginning. Man I remember when FF7 launched, you boomers were whining that “I want to play a game, not watch a movie”, “I remember when it used to be Final FANTASY”.

I seriously don’t get it with this fanbase. There’s ONE mainline FF release per generation, and the same vocal minority of whiners act like the entire turn-based genre is under assault because that ONE game isn’t some nostalgia wank “return to form” for the series. You people are like a broken record.

Kumomeme

Absolute bullshit. Did you forget about Ys, Seiken Densetsu, Tales of, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Kingdom Hearts….. There have always been tons of Japanese action RPGs. Action and turn-based JRPGs have coexisted since the beginning and still do. And in fact I think the ratio of action to turn-based has been pretty stable for a very long time.

They didn’t just pop into existence in the PS3 era. That is a laughable bit of revisionist history that you fabricated to support your “we are persecuted and turn based is dying” delusion.
yeah. not to mention when come to action game, the name that usually pop into people mind is from those japanese developers. when talk about who did it better, it always japanese developers. Capcom, Platinum Games, FromSoftware for example. western 'action' game usually suck compared to them especially when it come to melee combat. only exception come to mind recently is Ghost of Tsushima. the rest, nah...japan is always known for action game.

There's room for both absolutely. That's why SQEX makes both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
yeah. not to mention when come to action game, the name that usually pop into people mind is from those japanese developers. when talk about who did it better, it always japanese developers. Capcom, Platinum Games, FromSoftware for example. western 'action' game usually suck compared to them especially when it come to melee combat. only exception come to mind recently is Ghost of Tsushima. the rest, nah...japan is always known for action game.
For sure. Japanese devs pioneered action-RPGs, beat-‘em-ups, fighting games, and character action games like Ninja Gaiden, DMC, etc.

Pretty sure they actually enjoy that shit and this wasn’t just the result of the corrupting influence of western tastes and money, lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bet they have a good shot with XVI. XVI could very well be the best Final Fantasy in over a decade. They’ve mixed with their traditional formula so much that SE has divided their fanbase. I wonder what this means for XVII. I wonder if they’ll continue down this road or if they have the creative talent to somehow go back.

The west always had God of War. Japan dominates in fantasy and action. The west has been good at real world, high end fantasy, and science fiction. The west has a strong D&D influence in games. Japan has set a very strong foundation. Japan will do what the rest of the world wants to do later. We don’t see Japan try and recreate Mass Effect or Dragon Age because they already got an endless well of IP’s. Japan hasn’t exactly made some genres, but they don’t need to.

Final Fantasy is like an end of the show type of announcement. It’s a big deal or at least it was a big deal years ago. I felt like XIII’s XB360 announcement was it. I haven’t been thrilled with the series since XII. I still enjoy Square-Enix because I’ve loved their titles as Squaresoft. It’s funny how we can write off Western developers because we don’t believe they’ll come back stronger. Capcom and Square have come back very strong in the last couple years. They had some very bad years and in 2022 it’s exciting to see what each publisher announces. BioWare has had a handful of bad years now and I don’t have a lot of faith that they’ll pull it together. I feel like work culture and the advancement or departure of certain key people in western studios is to blame for the lack of confidence in fans. If a studio can’t deliver in the west they just go elsewhere. A new IP, a new start, and etc. That to me gives no hope to an IP unless the new talent has something to show. I think what’s also doing western developers in is that they’re all copying each other. I think you have developers who have had a strong influence (in some areas) by Japanese developers. Final Fantasy is probably one of the most well known games. I can’t imagine a senior game designer not having played a Final Fantasy game at least once in their life.

Read again, I never claimed that action RPGs were never a thing in Japan.
They've always existed, but the most popular ones were always turn-based (i.e. DQ, FF, Pokemon)

Exactly why they don't need to change Final Fantasy's formula, that's my point. Did you even read what I wrote?
Them moving away from turn-based or whatever just sets a precedent -- a point of no return.

Final Fantasy's identity was always about favoring character skill over player skill, never about mashing buttons.
In other words, it was never an action RPG.

I still don't get why you're getting so worked up over this.
Do you really think it's productive to call me names or attempt to label me in a pejorative way?

You're free to disagree with me, but seriously, I expected a more respectful attitude from you.
During this entre conversation I never tried to downplay you for simply having a different opinion.

Final Fantasy doesn't need to change it's ways. They can come up with a spin-off or some new IP.
Also, Squeenix has plans to change DQ. It might not be turn-based for long. THIS is my main concern.
If they've changed FF, there's nothing stopping them from changing DQ as well.
Honestly, a less self-aware me would whine since I’m lucky and I love VIIR’s combat and think XVI looks fun. And XIII was still ATB but quite different from the others and it’s still my favorite battle system.

HOWEVER. It is kind of a problem when FF fans are always scared about a new game. Like, I would never ever ever expect to be scared about a mainline FF not having party members, but here we are. At least now we have a semi? solid confirmation, but it wasn’t concrete on how exactly other party members work (correct me if I’m wrong).

Also, CG cutscenes have been a staple since VII and SE has their own damn CG studio. If XVI has none, or even just an opening and ending, I will personally riot to the ends of the Earth. I shouldn’t be scared about this! It was a staple! And XV only had 3 because they used 110 minutes of CG on a film due to development woes and IMO questionable priorities.

Ugh

Brock2621

I bet they have a good shot with XVI. XVI could very well be the best Final Fantasy in over a decade. They’ve mixed with their traditional formula so much that SE has divided their fanbase. I wonder what this means for XVII. I wonder if they’ll continue down this road or if they have the creative talent to somehow go back.

The west always had God of War. Japan dominates in fantasy and action. The west has been good at real world, high end fantasy, and science fiction. The west has a strong D&D influence in games. Japan has set a very strong foundation. Japan will do what the rest of the world wants to do later. We don’t see Japan try and recreate Mass Effect or Dragon Age because they already got an endless well of IP’s. Japan hasn’t exactly made some genres, but they don’t need to.

Final Fantasy is like an end of the show type of announcement. It’s a big deal or at least it was a big deal years ago. I felt like XIII’s XB360 announcement was it. I haven’t been thrilled with the series since XII. I still enjoy Square-Enix because I’ve loved their titles as Squaresoft. It’s funny how we can write off Western developers because we don’t believe they’ll come back stronger. Capcom and Square have come back very strong in the last couple years. They had some very bad years and in 2022 it’s exciting to see what each publisher announces. BioWare has had a handful of bad years now and I don’t have a lot of faith that they’ll pull it together. I feel like work culture and the advancement or departure of certain key people in western studios is to blame for the lack of confidence in fans. If a studio can’t deliver in the west they just go elsewhere. A new IP, a new start, and etc. That to me gives no hope to an IP unless the new talent has something to show. I think what’s also doing western developers in is that they’re all copying each other. I think you have developers who have had a strong influence (in some areas) by Japanese developers. Final Fantasy is probably one of the most well known games. I can’t imagine a senior game designer not having played a Final Fantasy game at least once in their life.
Yeah, I kinda just let go of what I THINK a Final Fantasy game should be. Square struggled internally with the same question during 8 and 9’s development with Sakaguchi.

I think I’m just going into this expecting a Final Fantasy Witcher game and I’m stoked.

But, Dragon Quest XI IS SquareEnix.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
But, Dragon Quest XI IS SquareEnix.
I’m done engaging with that guy. He’s simultaneously arguing that:

- Japan always preferred traditional turn-based JRPGs. Action JRPGs weren’t prevalent until PS3 (lol)

- they abandoned turn-based and shifted to action RPGs to appeal to the west

- but there are still lots of modern turn-based JRPGs that are successful in Japan and the west

- but FF XVI is gonna send the signal that it’s time for everyone to stop making turn-based once and for all

- but the real tragedy is that this ever-evolving series has abandoned its identity by getting rid of menu-driven combat. That would’ve been ok for a spin-off, but for S-E to do that in a mainline numbered title… oh, it’s just unthinkable. Proof that S-E had abandoned all their principles just to appeal to the gaijin dudebro audience.

Honestly I put Mr. Goo on block. I think that dude just comes into every thread and posts the most ridiculous contrarian things he can come up with just to get reactions. Don’t know what I hoped to gain by engaging with him.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

- but the real tragedy is that this ever-evolving series has abandoned its identity by getting rid of menu-driven combat. That would’ve been ok for a spin-off, but for S-E to do that in a mainline numbered title… oh, it’s just unthinkable. Proof that S-E had abandoned all their principles just to appeal to the gaijin dudebro audience.
i hope he not found out that FFXIV use tab target combat

ffxiv GIF

Top Bottom