• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Was Almost on 2 Discs; Managed to “Barely” Fit on 1 Disc Half-Year Before Release

During the latest Final Fantasy XVI broadcast, the game’s producer, Naoki Yoshida, revealed that the title was initially planned to be on two discs. However, just six months before launch, the team managed to barely fit it onto one.
This was highly desired since keeping the game on one disc significantly reduced manufacturing costs and avoided delays in polishing the overall experience before the title went gold.
While a PlayStation 5 game on two discs sounds far-fetched, it’s not exactly new. The upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is confirmed to be featured across two discs, so it’s no surprise that Final Fantasy XVI almost embodied that identity.

ff16NaokiYoshida-1.jpg

More at https://noisypixel.net/final-fantasy-xvi-almost-2-discs-1-disc-half-year-pre-release/

Madflavor

I'm guessing if they had CG cutscenes in the game, that would've pushed them over the edge to 2 discs. Which is fine by me, the game looks great as is. I thought it was honestly jarring in FFVII:R when it switched from CG to In-game character models. Their in-game models look a lot better anyway.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm guessing if they had CG cutscenes in the game, that would've pushed them over the edge to 2 discs. Which is fine by me, the game looks great as is. I thought it was honestly jarring in FFVII:R when it switched from CG to In-game character models. Their in-game models look a lot better anyway.
I'm all for some CGI, as FF games have certain scenes that would be scaled back if using only real time assets. For example:

+in the new FF7 Rebirth trailer the scene showing thr cosmos and all the planets.

Klosshufvud

I think we're at that point where SSD upgrades are cheap enough to become a mandatory recommendation. The era of 100GB games is here and we're not going back. Hopefully it will stay there for a while.

FF13 CGI files came in completely uncompressed (30GB for one hour of CGI) and yet even that game didn't fill upp a whole regular blu-ray. There's been huge advancements in video compression aswell. Current-gen consoles have support for those type of video files that PS3 didn't.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's like switching from cd music to digital music. Don't be that much dramatic.
Disc won't be around anyway. They will have to go like their previous mediums. That is how life works.
I feel I made a compelling enough case here for physical games being superior here https://www.neogaf.com/threads/physical-games-all-the-way.1656531/

On consoles they're usually cheaper, you can resell, they wont consume HD space, you can lend games to friends. Taking that away by enforcing a digital only industry would be the filth.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

It's like switching from cd music to digital music. Don't be that much dramatic.
Disc won't be around anyway. They will have to go like their previous mediums. That is how life works.
Not really applicable. Digital music really took off because people were suddenly using media such as phones and MP3 players to play music that were physically incapable of playing physical formats. On top of that, digital distribution of music is cheap, easy and due to Spotify, containing all-encompassing libraries. This can't really be applied to games where a digital copy is priced often times even higher than the same physical unit, which you also can't resell, lend to friends or give away. The reason why physical media has endured so long for consoles is because the consumer conditions of digital is still horrible and extremely locked down. It's also getting worse year after year. They shamelessly price their digital games even higher than retail equivalent despite completely cutting the costs of distribution and retailer margins. How does that make sense? It makes no sense to me to support this predatory business practice.

feynoob

Banned
Not really applicable. Digital music really took off because people were suddenly using media such as phones and MP3 players to play music that were physically incapable of playing physical formats. On top of that, digital distribution of music is cheap, easy and due to Spotify, containing all-encompassing libraries. This can't really be applied to games where a digital copy is priced often times even higher than the same physical unit, which you also can't resell, lend to friends or give away. The reason why physical media has endured so long for consoles is because the consumer conditions of digital is still horrible and extremely locked down. It's also getting worse year after year. They shamelessly price their digital games even higher than retail equivalent despite completely cutting the costs of distribution and retailer margins. How does that make sense? It makes no sense to me to support this predatory business practice.
Physical is very limited as it often relies on distribution stores to sell. This means only big areas gets the attention. Other areas gets ignored due to limited consumers or limited shelves.
This is where digital shines. It allows devs to reach wider audience. No one is forcing you. You are getting easier access to the platform. And there is no limit to how much games can be stored there.

As for the cheap disc sales, that is due to distribution companies wanting the space for other disc games. They have to clear it out fast in order to avoid potential losses. That is the only reason why it's cheap.

Elysion

Banned
I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t be able to compress the data enough to fit onto a single 100 GB Blu-Ray disc, even if they had tons of CGI cutscenes. The data will be dumped onto the hard drive anyway, where it can be even bigger than 100 GB.

Roxkis_ii

I haven't bought a physical game in years, though I do receive them as gifts (My friends bought me FF15 as a troll). I don't think I would mind a 2 disc game, especially if it's worth it. As long as they don't make me switch disc to get to back to some content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Another thing to point out is that digital music didn't really start overtaking physical sales until the publishers decided to remove all the draconian DRM from the files they sold you. Before that, you had something similar to the current digital gaming space - you buy the game on a platform, and it's stuck on that platform (and can't typically be played elsewhere). Pour one out for my homies that had the massive music library on Zune.

Personally, I'd be all-in on digital-only gaming if the games were released in a standards-compliant, DRM-free format (similar to how MP3s became the de facto standard for music) that could be played on any device of your choosing. Maybe you buy the game on a PC digital storefront like Steam, but could also play it on PlayStation (or vice versa). Just like how digital music got so popular because people demanded to be able to play what they bought on the device of their choosing, digital gaming should be the same way. Only then will you truly "own" a digital copy of a game you buy.

But, it'll never happen. We'll continue to see more and more terrible DRM and walled garden storefronts, while people online point out that "digital music was successful, games will be too hehe".

Synless

It’s not the same, I also never said disc, I said physical media. It’s not over dramatic. I will just invest more in my other hobbies.

I'm all for some CGI, as FF games have certain scenes that would be scaled back if using only real time assets. For example:

+in the new FF7 Rebirth trailer the scene showing thr cosmos and all the planets.

Good cg, bad everything else.
Not when you need to download 100GB.
Unless you have a data hard cap or slow internet 100GB shouldn't be an issue. You can get a gig or more service depending on where you live.

Good cg, bad everything else.

Unless you have a data hard cap or slow internet 100GB shouldn't be an issue. You can get a gig or more service depending on where you live.
Where I live it would take me 100+ hours to download that. Plus that's assuming I didn't need to pause to make use of the internet in the household for other reasons because it is a complete bottleneck when something is downloading. No Netflix, phone sucks, etc... Not everyone has access to super solid speeds. I'm in the dark ages over here and I'm not alone.

nial

Gold Member
Cool! Doom 2016 is made by ID software
Bethesda Softworks, the publisher. I didn't mean to disrespect ID Software/Doom tho (they are pretty good games), I just dislike the sentiment that physical games are "worthless" due to some titles that not necessarily everyone is interested in.

Schmendrick

One word "Dlc".
That sums up your physical rights.
Bullshit.
Try selling your digitally bought game, end of story.
This discussion is moot and has been done ad infinitum already.
You trade convenience for ownership if you buy digitally, and trying to discredit physical as "old" instead of acknowledging it as a valid option for people who actually want to own stuff instead of "renting" it is simply stupid and just shows that you don't even know what you're signing up for....

Last edited:

Schmendrick

And buy it again if I want to play them?
Unless you don't like your games, there is no need for me to sell my games.
I want to play them again in the future.
That's you and that is okay but it doesn't change a thing about the ownership situation with digital goods and the incredible ignorance you're displaying when you call physical ownership old fashioned instead of understanding the difference....
If I could sell my digital licenses i'd instantly be 100% digital.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Given one can't play the game without "updating" it, and that said update downloads a shit ton of stuff to the console's storage... why even bother? Just ship it in one disc and make the user download the rest.

feynoob

Banned
That's you and that is okay but it doesn't change a thing about the ownership situation with digital goods and the incredible ignorance you're displaying when you call physical ownership old fashioned instead of understanding the difference....
I mean if those games are getting dlc, why should I bother getting it as physical?
Not to mention a lot of games rely on day1 patch these days (cyberpunk 2077).
It might have been good during PS4/Xbox one, but not in this gen. As long as devs do day1 patch, people will slowly switch it to digital.

It sucks, but that is the future.

simpatico

Given one can't play the game without "updating" it, and that said update downloads a shit ton of stuff to the console's storage... why even bother? Just ship it in one disc and make the user download the rest.
Physical bro's still swear you can play any game directly off the disc with no need for an internet connection.

Schmendrick

I mean if those games are getting dlc, why should I bother getting it as physical?
Not to mention a lot of games rely on day1 patch these days (cyberpunk 2077).
It might have been good during PS4/Xbox one, but not in this gen. As long as devs do day1 patch, people will slowly switch it to digital.

It sucks, but that is the future.
Jesus, just stop writing, you don't even know what your own argument is....
Ownership Vs rental, period.
Patches and dlc don't impact that basic fact in the slightest. 1000 patches/Dlcs later I can still sell my physical copy whenever I want because I actually own it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom